Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Headlight options- Supra style

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Tahoe
Engine: 350
Transmission: T56
Headlight options- Supra style

First off I would like to tell everyone how much I dislike working and thinking about major one off mods. I made the ultimate 12" sub enclosure for my Camaro. 1 12" 1.2 cubic ft, 6 cd changer, 1 farad cap, 2 amplifiers, gps navigation, voice command. All free form fiberglass, 11 months, 4 designs, $1000, and all in the name of perfection.

I like what all the import aftermarket designers have to offer. Look for Camaro specifically and nothing! Under Chevy general category we have diamond reflectors 4" x 6". CRAP! Unacceptable!

I think we as group could do much better than them. If someone would direct me in the right direction I would like to attempt a new head light design.
All I really need to know is how to form the hard transparent lens covers. I think a fiber glass and bondo one first would give me some direction.
Maybe if this goes right tail lights could be in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight options- Supra style-toyota_supra_31.jpg  
Old 10-17-2002, 06:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro
Engine: Built L98
Transmission: T-56 6 speed
man your probably gonna get bashed on like crazy for saying something like that. Oh well. My headlights at the current moment kinda look like those headlights. I got some projectors in them right now.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:02 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
i would like to get those cool clear covers to make the headlight pocket flush with the front of my car, that's it though. i think that the headlights on our cars look fine how they are. i am not sure if i like imports being a model for our cars, i mean, we were here first.....thats just my .02
Old 10-17-2002, 08:00 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Originally posted by REVLIMIT
man your probably gonna get bashed on like crazy for saying something like that.
Sad but true. Most 3rd gen owners prefer a stock look, and can't accept that some people want something a little different. My advice is do what you want, its your car.

I got this link off of http://www.hybridz.org
one of my favorite sites. I don't own a Datsun Z car, but this is a good place to get help with custom bodywork, composite construction, engines...you name it. I think this may be just what you're looking for.

http://www.hybridz.org/cgi-bin/ultim...c;f=9;t=000832
Old 10-17-2002, 08:31 AM
Supreme Member

My first question is: Are you going to make custome head lights, or just put the clear head light covers on the lights. I had those clear head light covers for about a week, I thought they would give my car the smooth head light look (like the 98+ camaros) but all it looked like was clear plastic infront of my head lights. And you couldn't even tell I had the platic there unless you were about a foot or closer to the car.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:08 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i like my headlights, but i would not mind owning an entire supra!!
Old 10-17-2002, 09:13 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
man your probably gonna get bashed on like crazy for saying something like that. Oh well. My headlights at the current moment kinda look like those headlights. I got some projectors in them right now.
Revlimit, could you PM me a picture of your headlights? I'd like to see it. I'd say post it but I figure you'd get about 20 replies of bashing...
Old 10-17-2002, 09:59 AM
Supreme Member

revlimit let's see those headlights.........

Who cares if it gets locked because of bashing it will be fun while it lasts.....

Last edited by FLYNLOW92rs; 10-17-2002 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:06 AM

Car: 98 Camaro SS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M6
Another request for pics of those lights
Old 10-17-2002, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
I would gladly like to convert my headlights to fixed ones. Right now my left headlight does not pop up until the right one does and when I turn the lights off, the left one slams down and sounds like a machine gun after.

Supra headlights will be kind of tough, but a 300ZX style is feasible.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:31 AM

Hey REVLIMIT

Are those headlights in your Camaro? If so could you post a pic of those headlights?
Old 10-17-2002, 12:02 PM
Supreme Member

First off I'd like to ask everyone to be mature about this. All I'm asking is that you dont post up any hateful replies againts me or my car.

As you can see they kinda look like as if they came with the projectors. Pretty much the same shape as stock yet not O_o Soon I'll be fixing the front bumper (currently I'm trying to finish my suspension), I sold the wing a while back, and soon imma be smoking the headlight housing. Oh and also my cars gonna be gunmetal soon.

Last edited by REVLIMIT; 10-17-2002 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:09 PM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
hey REVLIMIT, i've seen pics of your car. didn't you have that team P.O.S. decal?
Old 10-17-2002, 12:17 PM
Supreme Member

*lowers head in shame* well I guess the thing about not bashing on me has gone out the window
Old 10-17-2002, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

Revlimit: F*ck'em if they don't like it!!!

Most mature people can appreciate a car under construction, and I for one like to see things being done a little differently. There is no law that says that your Camaro has to look like everybody else's, and I applaud people who are willing to do something different with their cars, and post it on this site. Its hard to be different and original while driving a Camaro, but your car is distinctive. The lights look good, and I really like what you did with the hood, too.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Freeze
hey REVLIMIT, i've seen pics of your car. didn't you have that team P.O.S. decal?
What a dick!!!

Old 10-17-2002, 12:38 PM
Supreme Member

As you can see they kinda look like as if they came with the projectors. Pretty much the same shape as stock yet not O_o Soon I'll be fixing the front bumper (currently I'm trying to finish my suspension), I sold the wing a while back, and soon imma be smoking the headlight housing. Oh and also my cars gonna be gunmetal soon.
Where did you get the lights from, looks like it might be a grand pris or el-camino?
Old 10-17-2002, 12:42 PM

Car: '86 TransAm WS6
Transmission: Custom TH700R4
RevLimit: Those are the Silverado lights, right?

For us Firebird guys, it's tough to fit composite headlights in to the relatively small headlight pocket. another consideration is that even with the stock lights removed, the replacement lights have to have a pretty low height in order to clear the hoodline.

I just had a thought, for larger, fixed headlights, you could use a 'blistered' setup like the Corvette C5-R racers. it allows you to fit a somewhat larger light, without excessively disrupting the look of the car. I think it'd look best on any 91-92, or SE or Formula, without GFX.

My plan is to fit composite lights under the headlight doors, and modify the motors to only lift the doors partway, like the BMW 850-series cars.

(I'll send pics as soon as I can find/ make some)
Old 10-17-2002, 12:48 PM
Supreme Member

Redraif's popup delete:
Attached Thumbnails Headlight options- Supra style-billsfirebird.jpg  
Old 10-17-2002, 12:53 PM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Transmission: 700R4
lt1guy, you better shut the **** up, damn *****. here it is: http://www.hs3.net/rides/camaro/chris.html
Old 10-17-2002, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Freeze
lt1guy, you better shut the **** up, damn *****. here it is: http://www.hs3.net/rides/camaro/chris.html

My bad, thought you were just being a dick. Of course, now you are!

I better shut the **** up? What are you going to do about it?

Last edited by LT1guy; 10-17-2002 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC Convertible
Transmission: Raptor 700
hey lt1guy, i think you're the only one in this situation who's being a dick about anything. IMO freeze had no intentions of bashing revlimit's car considering he actually did have the sticker on his car. you gotta calm down man, not everyone is out to get you or the people who have similar tastes as you. and also the **** comment? thats as uncalled for as the bashing that people like revlimit receive, you're no better than the "rice" haters when you're posting comments like that. I for one don't care what revlimit does to his car, considering it is HIS car and his money. and revlimit, more info on the lights please looks pretty good
Old 10-17-2002, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by nikh23
hey lt1guy, i think you're the only one in this situation who's being a dick about anything. IMO freeze had no intentions of bashing revlimit's car considering he actually did have the sticker on his car. you gotta calm down man, not everyone is out to get you or the people who have similar tastes as you. and also the **** comment? thats as uncalled for as the bashing that people like revlimit receive, you're no better than the "rice" haters when you're posting comments like that. I for one don't care what revlimit does to his car, considering it is HIS car and his money. and revlimit, more info on the lights please looks pretty good
Like I said, I though he was slamming the car...I had never seen the pic of it with that sticker on it before. I thought Freeze had disregarded Revlimit's request that no one bash him or his car.My apology would have been nicer had the other comments not been there. I'm used to abuse on this site, but nobody is going to tell me "I better" do anything. The **** comment was not serious...hence the :lala: ...he's as much a **** as I am a *****.
I was just making a point that no one likes to be labeled. I have deleted the remark.

Last edited by LT1guy; 10-17-2002 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

When we asked Chris why he put the wing he answered “well…I just bought the wing mostly cause I thought it looked cool…I wanted a wing that would stand out…and plus I got it for cheap haha”

Old 10-17-2002, 02:04 PM
Supreme Member

What wing do you have on it now???
Old 10-17-2002, 02:06 PM

Car: 84 T/A,84 Bird,85 T/A Knight Automated Roving Robot
Engine: 305 HO many mods, 151C.I.D-stock,305 TPI stock for now
Transmission: 700-R4 Turbo Hydro-Matic
RevLimit, I think your Camaro looks cool. Ilike it. Very creative and different.I don't like ricers at all myself. everyone is entitled to like what they want to like however.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:23 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by nikh23
IMO freeze had no intentions of bashing revlimit's car considering he actually did have the sticker on his car.
WHen I first read his reply I thought also that he was only mentioning something. But after thinking about it. Why did he mention the POS sticker? Thats the least noticable sticker yet he brought that out of no where. Sorry if I was wrong but that completely seemed like an attack.

Also putting the rear wing (although I no longer have it) is not considered rice. Rice is buying parts with the EXCUSE of performance. (ie. "I put this tach cause I wanna keep an eye on my rpm" when in reality the person put it cause he likes how the tach looks or "this cowled hood helps me gain some extra hp" when in reality he just put the hood cause he likes cowled hoods) If you call my wing "rice" then you have to bash on people w/o Z28's who put the Z28 wing. Does that wing atcually give any downforce? Only slight downforce if even any at all. People put that wing cause they like it. So its the same as me putting that wing cause I liked it. It was just person opinion. I didnt buy the wing thinking "ooo when I race on the freeway imma have better control...I need that wing cause of that" (although the wing did make the car easier to control when I was going around 140mph) I bought it cause I liked how it looked. Damn its hard to explain what "rice" really is. I hope you all will start to learn the real meaning.

As for the lights they are from a 92 Accord. (yes a honda OOOHHH NOOOOOO!!!!!! haha)

As for what wing is on my car. I currently have no wing at all. I'm looking into a couple of new wings to see which one matches the best. The new wing is gonna be more clean looking.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: too many ...
First off I'd like to ask everyone to be mature about this. All I'm asking is that you dont post up any hateful replies againts me or my car.

Look!! Its Kamatsu in a Camaro!! Oh wait a minute!!!

*nice pic!!*
Old 10-17-2002, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Yamaha Banshee
Engine: 379cc twin cyl 2-stroke stroker
Transmission: 6 spd manual
Axle/Gears: 14/41 tooth
Originally posted by LT1guy
Like I said, I though he was slamming the car...I had never seen the pic of it with that sticker on it before.
lol, lol, thinking he was just making fun of him when rev really did have a POS sticker on his car lol
Old 10-17-2002, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Originally posted by SpeedCat86
RevLimit: Those are the Silverado lights, right?

For us Firebird guys, it's tough to fit composite headlights in to the relatively small headlight pocket. another consideration is that even with the stock lights removed, the replacement lights have to have a pretty low height in order to clear the hoodline.

I just had a thought, for larger, fixed headlights, you could use a 'blistered' setup like the Corvette C5-R racers. it allows you to fit a somewhat larger light, without excessively disrupting the look of the car. I think it'd look best on any 91-92, or SE or Formula, without GFX.

My plan is to fit composite lights under the headlight doors, and modify the motors to only lift the doors partway, like the BMW 850-series cars.

(I'll send pics as soon as I can find/ make some)

The blistered setup is fine if you don't mind having that frog look. If they made a kit I would buy though. Fixed headlights would be worth it.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:03 PM

REVLIMIT: Wasn't there a gap in the housing of the headlight when you made that conversion? Also I read that website about your car, can you also post a pic of the rear STB?

Last edited by vrooom305; 10-17-2002 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:12 PM
Supreme Member

yea theres a small gap but its not super noticable. When I fix the front bumper Imma get rid of that problem though.

As for hte Rear STB its not really a STB...more like a rear link. But anyways I'll have pics of it up once I can get a hold of a digital camera.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:16 PM
Supreme Member

As for hte Rear STB its not really a STB...more like a rear link. But anyways I'll have pics of it up once I can get a hold of a digital camera.
i want to see that. thanks in advance for posting soe time in the future the pics
Old 10-17-2002, 04:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Hey Rev the headlights look awesome! Way to use some creativity!
Old 10-17-2002, 05:47 PM

Car: Tahoe
Transmission: T56
you all do need a general forum to talk in, better yet go to the chat rooms.
Anyway, who else here could help with the plastics forming
Old 10-17-2002, 05:55 PM

Car: 84 Z28
I'm not going to comment on the rest of REVLIMIT's car, but I do like the headlights. Where did you get them or what are they from?
Old 10-17-2002, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: too many ...
I think his entire car looks awesome. I cant wait to see it when he's done.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 iroc-z custom
Engine: 355 tuned port
Transmission: 5spd baby, only way to go
Axle/Gears: 3.45
DUDE..THOSE HEADLIGHTS ARE FRICKIN AWESOME!!!!

pm me the details if you dont mind...ive been looking into alot of different possibilities...(dont worry i am not gonna take your idea and steal it.) i just want to know how you fabbed it all together...

was it easy..hard or what?

iroc2nv
Old 10-17-2002, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

Very nice, very nice...........

How about what other mods did you have to do to get the lights to work with the camaro.....

PM me with details.....would be much appreciated....
Old 10-17-2002, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

just post - i am curious, not going to do it but curious
Old 10-17-2002, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L V-6
Transmission: T-5
Oh and also my cars gonna be gunmetal soon.
Ah gunmetal...great color isn't it? Its challenge only by hunter orange in my book . Oh, any standing still pics of those lights? Love em, look bad azz. I love drifting in the games (ala Grand Turismo 1, 2, 3) but haven't ever tryed it in my car, nor plan on it prolly. How you do it? From the games I would say you brake, crank wheel, and giver hell, but it can't be that easy.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight options- Supra style-passengersideangle.jpeg  
Old 10-17-2002, 10:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
Soon I'll be fixing the front bumper
I sold the wing a while back
my cars gonna be gunmetal soon.

Sounds like it will look MUCH better. When you paint it, are you going to paint the hood as well? I love gunmetal, I think it will look badass

Last edited by MetalliCamaroRS; 10-17-2002 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Damn
Engine: This
Transmission: New Stuff
Hood looks great too!
Old 10-18-2002, 06:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '82 Z28
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears
Actually, those headlights are kinda good looking. (ack! I said something nice about revlimit's car!!!!) I've been wanting to do a conversion on mine but it's not high on the list atm.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:23 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
Revlimit that pic is awesome Hehe... I need to get a pic of my car "in action"......
Old 10-18-2002, 11:55 AM

Car: 89 Trans Am
SOMEONE PLEASE START THIS PROJECT The only 2 examples to consider are the Cwestin RX-7 and the i believe Callaway Corvette.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Originally posted by Redliner
you all do need a general forum to talk in, better yet go to the chat rooms.
Anyway, who else here could help with the plastics forming
Joe and I went by a remote control car shop. They sold the big ones that were gas powered. Anyway, some of them fad their one molds for the car bodies. They might be able to point you in the right direction. One guy said his buddy did a mold for him of his truck. So thats my suggestion..., Talk to some of those guys. Also see if you can find any plexiglass or lexan sellers. They might sell to someone who works in the forming of plastics. You never know till you go ask.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:25 PM

Car: 90 T/A GTA
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
rev-limits car is kick A@@ i love it. Where did u get the front bumper and the hood? i wish they made that stuff for the bird. awsome job on the headlights!!!!:hail:
Old 10-18-2002, 04:28 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
I think his entire car looks awesome.
even the "piece of **** R" sticker??? i didnt know they made type r camaros, i'll be damned learn something everyday

lol. just joking......kinda
Old 10-18-2002, 05:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 astro
Engine: 4.3
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 7.5 with 3.42 gears
Rev...

Those lights look sharp. Would you send me a message describing how you did that?

Or you could write it up as a techincal article. I think it looks sharp.

Quick Reply: Headlight options- Supra style