Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Can you tint T-Tops?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 09:05 PM
Hg
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '87 Z
Engine: 355 in the works
Transmission: 700R4
Can you tint T-Tops?

Ok, I have T-Tops but I'm missing those cover/shade things that go in them to block out the sun when you aren't using them. I was wondering, could I have my T-Tops tinted again? They already have tint on them don't they? I was thinking about getting 5% put on them... what do you guys think?
Old 10-06-2002, 09:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
I don't see why not...
Old 10-06-2002, 10:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
Yeah they are already tinted, but if you wanted more you could do more.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:10 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah you can tint them.......
Old 10-06-2002, 10:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Dont tint your t-tops! I have seen people do that, and then when it gets really hot, they would literally explode. I have asked a lot of window tinters about this, and none of them will tint them. Ask any decent installer and they should say the same thing. Just my .02 worth.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:09 PM
Hg
Supreme Member

how could they explode?
Old 10-06-2002, 11:13 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Hg
how could they explode?
Black attracts sun light, that is the way I see them exploding.

Though mine are pretty much blacked out from the factory and are completely fine.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:14 PM

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Originally posted by 88aziroc
Dont tint your t-tops! I have seen people do that, and then when it gets really hot, they would literally explode. I have asked a lot of window tinters about this, and none of them will tint them. Ask any decent installer and they should say the same thing. Just my .02 worth.

I have had my T-Tops tinted with 5% for about 5 years now. In New Orleans with 100+ degree summers mine are just fine. I found it made a big difference in cooling down the car as it sits outiside. Go for it!
Old 10-06-2002, 11:17 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Originally posted by JAY4SPEED

I have had my T-Tops tinted with 5% for about 5 years now. In New Orleans with 100+ degree summers mine are just fine. I found it made a big difference in cooling down the car as it sits outiside. Go for it!

Yup, but man do they get hot to touch when taking them off. I'd keep a shirt handy or something, it would really suck to drop one of them.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:20 PM

Well, maybe it has to do with the sun here in Arizona. It only gets to about 116* or so. Might just attract too much sun. Just like the hatch window busting if you dont leave your windows cracked just a little. If you dont think it can happen, do a search and you will find a few threads on the subject of the hatch window shattering.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:27 PM
Supreme Member

Well, maybe it has to do with the sun here in Arizona. It only gets to about 116* or so. Might just attract too much sun. Just like the hatch window busting if you dont leave your windows cracked just a little. If you dont think it can happen, do a search and you will find a few threads on the subject of the hatch window shattering.
I've heard of them cracking but not shattering, wow that would suck.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:35 PM

I have trouble believing that one too as my rear window has 5% and has never shattered. They do get hot to the touch after sitting out all day. My T-tops by comparison arent much darker from the outisde as is the factory smoked glass. I agree they retain more heat but not enough to shatter them at least with the ambient temps around here. I can see how in AZ they temps and sunload are much more extreme. But, being from Oklahoma, HG, should be ok.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:50 PM
Hg
Supreme Member

Ok, when these glasses shatter/crack it's not from having tint, it's from the air inside the car expanding and not having anywhere to go. You could have this happen regardless of the tint being on the T-tops, rear hatch, or tint %. That's why I always leave my passenger window cracked a weee bit when I get out(unless it's going to rain or something) so that the air has a place to escape to....

...at least that's how I understand it....
Old 10-06-2002, 11:55 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Hg
Ok, when these glasses shatter/crack it's not from having tint, it's from the air inside the car expanding and not having anywhere to go. You could have this happen regardless of the tint being on the T-tops, rear hatch, or tint %. That's why I always leave my passenger window cracked a weee bit when I get out(unless it's going to rain or something) so that the air has a place to escape to....

...at least that's how I understand it....
That's a very good point.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:14 AM

Ok, I am not trying to start a war or anything. I am just letting people know what CAN happen. I dont know exactly what the temps are in OK. I am only passing on knowledge to someone who had a question. These boards are for getting answers from a broad range of people. Dont be so quick to call BS on someone.

HG, if you want to tint your t-tops, go for it. Just go into knowing that this COULD happen. You seem to have a good understanding, but is it really worth it? Might just want to make some shades out of thick cardboard and cover them with headliner to match yours.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:16 AM

88aziroc

Sorry I didn't mean to come across so abrasive. I'm not intending on a flame war either. I try to answer questions here on this board on a factual basis, to answer the question here I have personal experience and answered the question accordingly. I try as hard as possible not to pass along information that I've heard from someone that I have not personally seen or has happened to me. To me, facts and personal experience tends to be more accurate information. I would hope when I pose a question, someone would respond that has dealt with it or has experience in fixing the problem asked rather than second hand information from someone else. We all know when information gets passed on it gets embelished as its told over and over. You have to decide for yourself whats BS and whats not.{I'm not saying thats what happened here, I'm speaking on general terms} I'm just here to simply give the other side of the story from experience. I could have disagreed more respectfully . I apologise.

By the way, the T-tops on my car are glass. I wonder if acrylic tops act the same way under extreme heat?

I think the T-top shades are a good idea to completly block out the sunlight.

Jay

Last edited by JAY4SPEED; 10-07-2002 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:22 AM

i believe some tops can be tinted with no drama BUT some cannot
mine from new as well as being tinted (c&c tops) have a mirror on them as well
have been advised by several tint places NOT to tint mine !
Old 10-07-2002, 07:48 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
HA! spontanious cobusting t-tops. LOL....BOOM I just cant see it happening. Though if you say so, maybe.

LOL:sillylol:
Old 10-07-2002, 08:25 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i never though about tinting the t-tops, i knew they were kinda tinted already from the factory..
Old 08-18-2020, 06:05 PM

Re: Can you tint T-Tops?

I agree with some of the replies already posted...

1. Keep your windows cracked and this won't happen. An old friend that lived in the Keys back in the 70's had one of his windows to literally blow out in his 70 model 28 from the heat. It gets HOT down there.

2. Use some kind of blind or shade to block the sun, because even though mine are tinted pretty dark from the factory it's still very hot on my head on a bright sunny day.

I talked to a reputable tinting company today who said because they are tempered glass, once you tint them again they draw much more heat and you DO run the risk of them shattering which does happen. He said he would do but wouldn't guarantee them nor give me a receipt for it. Myself I'm not going to risk it because they don't make these anymore as we all well know so I'm just going to use a shade.

Sorry I didn't mean to come across so abrasive. I'm not intending on a flame war either. I try to answer questions here on this board on a factual basis, to answer the question here I have personal experience and answered the question accordingly. I try as hard as possible not to pass along information that I've heard from someone that I have not personally seen or has happened to me. To me, facts and personal experience tends to be more accurate information. I would hope when I pose a question, someone would respond that has dealt with it or has experience in fixing the problem asked rather than second hand information from someone else. We all know when information gets passed on it gets embelished as its told over and over. You have to decide for yourself whats BS and whats not.{I'm not saying thats what happened here, I'm speaking on general terms} I'm just here to simply give the other side of the story from experience. I could have disagreed more respectfully . I apologise.

By the way, the T-tops on my car are glass. I wonder if acrylic tops act the same way under extreme heat?

I think the T-top shades are a good idea to completly block out the sunlight.

Jay[/QUOTE]

Old 08-18-2020, 06:06 PM

I agree with some of the replies already posted...

1. Keep your windows cracked and this won't happen. An old friend that lived in the Keys back in the 70's had one of his windows to literally blow out in his 70 model 28 from the heat. It gets HOT down there.

2. Use some kind of blind or shade to block the sun, because even though mine are tinted pretty dark from the factory it's still very hot on my head on a bright sunny day.

I talked to a reputable tinting company today who said because they are tempered glass, once you tint them again they draw much more heat and you DO run the risk of them shattering which does happen. He said he would do but wouldn't guarantee them nor give me a receipt for it. Myself I'm not going to risk it because they don't make these anymore as we all well know so I'm just going to use a shade.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:23 PM

Received 168 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: sp357
Transmission: T-5

Should have waited until October and this thread's 18th birthday.
The following users liked this post:
GarageToys (08-19-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 06:31 PM

You so funny.