Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Shaving door handles myself

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: See pic above
Engine: Too Small
Transmission: Broken
Originally posted by LT1guy
I'm not talking about just Redraif's car...half of you ****** think if its not GM, or didn't come off some GM product, its rice.
Seriously though, if I was interested in a car that was super fast and looked great in purely stock form, I'd go buy a corvette. And for the amount of money that a lot of people put into their f-bodies you could buy a vette. But when it comes down to it, we're all here cause we like to work on cars. Whether it be restoring, customizing, or building a sleeper, we're all here for the same reason. So please just quit with all this bickering about what is acceptable to do or not. Why should the reasons I want to learn to weld affect whether or not you'll answer my question. Whether I wanted to weld on a 10" aluminum wing (now that's a scary thought) or custom exhuast onto a 350, people should be willing to help out with whatever it is.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
I'm sure Redraif will answer your questions on that end...she did all the wiring and adding of the poppers before I even knew her, so she can give you a better answer than me.

As far as the Craftsman welder, its probably made by a reputable company for Craftsman...Lincoln would be my guess. As long as they will stand behind it like any other Craftsman product, I don't think you could go wrong with it.

Last edited by LT1guy; 11-27-2002 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:51 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
from a sticky by mss

everyone read
ok . here goes short and sweet

1) Post with respects to others

2) choose your words in an appropriate manner

3) do NOT make posts to deliberatly attack another board member

4) moderators do not care who started it . be the bigger man and end it

5) please , use common sense , if you know you are involved in an argument with no end , dont prolong it

6) this is someone else's website . he pays for it so all of you can use it . take that into consideration next time you waste his bandwitdth by posting some useless drivel that noone , other than yourself , wants to read .

7) these are not hard rules to abide by . if you cant have a debate without resorting to name calling , threats etc , maybe you shouldnt be on a message board

8) if someone says something you dont like , dont automatically start with the "hey well your a ****ing moron" or "your mom blows goats" either ignore it, or come back to it with some sort of intelligent response .

9) sometimes flaming is unavoidable , i know this . but please for the sake of everyone else on this site . read this list and try to follow it to the best extent that you can , it is not fair for members that are trying to enjoy the site without all of the arguments

that is all
It's a pretty easy game to play people.

Joe.. I've had a $200 Cambel Hausfield flux core (only) welder (you can get them at wal-mart) for roughly 6 years that be beaten, dropped & kicked and I can't complain about it one bit. It's done everything I've needed from it and a little beyond. The only part I've had to replace was the trigger/gun because I drove over it on accident. The 2 things I don't care for about it is the wire is always live and it didn't come with a fan. The fan part was solved with $12 and a trip to radio Shack... the live wire.. I've just learned to deal with. I might assume they (Cambel H) have changed that part of the design 6yrs down the road though..
I thought about buying a fancier, brandname mig but, I couldn't justify the cost for what I use it for. I don't fab/weld anything aluminum for my car and I'm not building battleships. About the only drawback to flux core welding is it's a little more difficult to get a 'clean' weld (i.e. no slag) at times.
Old 09-03-2002, 03:01 PM
Supreme Member

one of the other brands I couldn't recall earlier...thanks!

Last edited by LT1guy; 11-27-2002 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-03-2002, 03:30 PM

O.k., I'll probably go get one of those then on friday when I get paid Woo hoo, new toys! Now for the sheetmetal to practice on, can I just get some at home depot or do I need to go to an auto supply/body store to get some that is specifically automotive grade? Thanks for all the help guys, Joe
Old 09-03-2002, 05:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT1Guy. I think Redraif's car is great looking. I wish I had the two of you living next door to me so I could pick your brains on a daily basis. I agree with almost everything you say in your posts, especially recently, where Shannon's car has been attacked quite a bit, but I must ask, why do you keep addressing these morons? I agree with your responses, I can see why you would be upset, but really it just encourages them to acknowledge the fact that they got under your skin. It's like you said before, on this board, anything that deviates from the stock look is "rice".

I'm sick of hearing it myself. Personally I think anyone who utters the word "rice" is proving him/herself an idiot right off the back, and I already lost respect for them, but I also think trying to reason with them is a waste of time.

Mathius
Old 09-04-2002, 09:02 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Originally posted by Mathius
but I must ask, why do you keep addressing these morons? I agree with your responses, I can see why you would be upset, but really it just encourages them to acknowledge the fact that they got under your skin. It's like you said before, on this board, anything that deviates from the stock look is "rice".

I'm sick of hearing it myself. Personally I think anyone who utters the word "rice" is proving him/herself an idiot right off the back, and I already lost respect for them, but I also think trying to reason with them is a waste of time.

Mathius
Joe and I were discussing this very thing with a friend Monday at a car show.... First off you know if one comes in and slams the car others always follow. I started out trying to ignore it and figure they were not worth it, but the crap kept coming. The ignore tactic did not work.

It was not until I bucked up and said "enough" and defended myself. I tried to do it nicely. I tried not to call names. I try to let them really see what they are doing. To show them where they are not really looking before opening their mouths. Let them make a fool of themselves. And you know it seemed to work. They at least learned not to mess with me. Most bullies back down if they see your not an easy mark.

Then others will actually take the time to look and really see what I have done... Maybe this gives them an idea. Maybe they see a different way that would work better. One of these guys could come up with that dream part or mod. We just have to let them know it ok. So I'm really not trying to reason with the person, but let others see what that person is missing or misjudging. Or show how crazy their definition of rice is. You see how well that went over. People don't get analogies around here.

But if I just let them run their mouths, others think it is ok to behave like that. I have been to other sites and they are ridiculous. I don't want people to think they can do the same here. And there are some people, esp the newbies that take what these guys say seriously. They listen to everyone.

Way back in the day, before I began to modify my car, I might have been sucked into that crap. I might not have modified it for fear of these guys comments. I don't want anyone to think they can't do something different because people think its "rice". How many times do you see posts where people are basically asking approval. I want to be the voice that says its ok to do something you want, even if its different. The important part is keeping these cars alive and on the roads...

Sorry for the rant, but I'm sure you are not the only one who wonders "why bother? ".
Old 09-04-2002, 09:54 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by joezero
O.k., I'll probably go get one of those then on friday when I get paid Woo hoo, new toys! Now for the sheetmetal to practice on, can I just get some at home depot or do I need to go to an auto supply/body store to get some that is specifically automotive grade? Thanks for all the help guys, Joe
Do what I do...go to a local body shop, and ask if you can have a crunched fender or hood from their scrap pile. I figure OEM sheetmetal, even used, is probably better than the stuff you see at metal shops...may be offshore import, and its usually rusty, at least around here. The OEM metal is generally E-coated.

Last edited by LT1guy; 11-27-2002 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:30 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Mathius
LT1Guy. I think Redraif's car is great looking. I wish I had the two of you living next door to me so I could pick your brains on a daily basis. I agree with almost everything you say in your posts, especially recently, where Shannon's car has been attacked quite a bit, but I must ask, why do you keep addressing these morons? I agree with your responses, I can see why you would be upset, but really it just encourages them to acknowledge the fact that they got under your skin. It's like you said before, on this board, anything that deviates from the stock look is "****".

I'm sick of hearing it myself. Personally I think anyone who utters the word "****" is proving him/herself an idiot right off the back, and I already lost respect for them, but I also think trying to reason with them is a waste of time.

Mathius
They don't so much get under my skin personally...neither of us do this stuff for others. It just ticks me off that everybody tries to tell everyone else how to build their car. If others like it, enjoy it, learn from it, thats a bonus. Its not about car shows or trophies or any of that . Its a creative outlet, a far better way to occupy time than drinking in a bar, watching mindless stuff on TV, or sitting behind your computer all night, making fun of someone else's efforts while your own car rots away in the driveway(or at best dissapears into the background in its ubiquity).
We like doing stuff different, and being innovative. I have been around these cars since they came out, and I thought I had seen everything; that you couldn't possibly do anything that hadn't already been done on a mass produced car like the F-body. Shannon proved me wrong. I don't like everything on the car...there are things I would have done differently...but the point is, its up to the individual owner to do whatever suits their own individual taste. Personally, I wouldn't want to spend all the $$ on a car that looks just like everybody else's...you might as well leave it stock. Cars like hers do far more for the hobby than stockers...they generate interest, wherever they go. People ask what they are, and maybe think about buying one of their own. People that wouldn't look twice at an F-body of any year give it the thumbs up, and I don't mean just "ricers", either...women and men of all ages, kids...the only negative reaction the car has ever gotten is on message boards. Considering the source, it doesn't really bother me at all...most of these people have never so much as participated in a car show, drag race, autocross, or anything...they're wannabees.

Last edited by LT1guy; 11-27-2002 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:04 PM
Supreme Member

1. We like doing stuff different, and being innovative.

2. I don't like everything on the car...there are things I would have done differently...

3. Considering the source, it doesn't really bother me at all...most of these people have never so much as participated in a car show, drag race, autocross, or anything...they're wannabees.

1. Congratulations. You certainly achieved that.

2. Even you don't like certain parts of the car. Why jump on me when I say the same thing - hypocrite. Like I said earlier, the car looks OK, just not the wheels. And yes, Prime, ICW, etc etc sell wheels just like those for real cheap. They may be one-off $400 wheels, but that doesn't mean dick.

3. I run at 2 local dragstrips fairly often. I rarely see cars like yours there - they've been laughed off the track.

And while I may not enter in car shows (although it IS clean enough to), I have never had a negative comment about my car. The first thing they ask is "Where did you get those rims?"

And who the hell are you others stating that I'm not allowed to voice my opinion. Just because you don't like it does not make it illegal. Taking up bandwidth - how about a sig pic in every post
Old 09-04-2002, 08:58 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by redraif
But if I just let them run their mouths, others think it is ok to behave like that. I have been to other sites and they are ridiculous. I don't want people to think they can do the same here. And there are some people, esp the newbies that take what these guys say seriously. They listen to everyone.

Way back in the day, before I began to modify my car, I might have been sucked into that crap. I might not have modified it for fear of these guys comments. I don't want anyone to think they can't do something different because people think its "rice". How many times do you see posts where people are basically asking approval. I want to be the voice that says its ok to do something you want, even if its different. The important part is keeping these cars alive and on the roads...

Sorry for the rant, but I'm sure you are not the only one who wonders "why bother? ".
I guess I agree with that, but I really think it's up to the moderators to crack down on that **** for it to really be effective, but they don't seem to care if every third post has the word "rice" in it and then an arguement. To be perfectly honest, I'm 90 percent useless when it comes to engines, but I'm learning a great deal about body work. Everytime I post something, I just wait for some moron to start something.

Personally I think the idea that you can't add an appearance mod to your car is just rediculous. Why does everything have to be functional? Is there something wrong with making your car look unique? Nobody screams "rice" when someone adds blackouts to their car, or adds a gfx kit to an older fbody. I agree I think it's silly these kids that have 4 cylinder cars, and they try to race you at a stop light, but I don't see a problem with them trying to make their cars look good. I may not always agree with their idea of what looks good and what doesn't, but I applaud them for making the effort.

Anyways, you have a beautiful car.

Mathius
Old 09-04-2002, 09:35 PM

I think part of it stems from the fact that import racing is a totally different mindset from traditional musclecars. There are some Hondas, Toyotas, etc. that are truly fast. And they get that way by making the most of the displacement that they have. On the other hand these guys and gals who have been driving camaros, mustangs, vettes, etc. would rather just up the displacement than try to get better volumetric efficency. That's why all we hear around here is "swap in an 8" because they figure the only way to go fast is more displacement. Maybe when the NHRA finally lets imports and domestics race against each other regardless of engine size/type these old school guys will start to see things differently. As for them calling any unorthodox body mod rice, I think it stems from the import scene itself. How many times have you seen a car with clear taillights and a body kit and absolutely no performance mods? I see a dozen cars like that a day around here. The thing is, a stock civic doesn't look fast, it doesn't look like a race car. So these import guys get these outrageous body kits so that their economy car now looks like a high performance racer. But they blow all their money on the appearance mods and never actually make the car fast. The guys here see redraif's mods as the same thing. If it had a big v-8 in it, it'd probably get billed as a "stylized high-performance firebird" and not so much rice. People aren't afraid to critize you when they could blow you away at a stop light. But I bet if they saw a 550 HP import, they would respect it, cause it could kick their stock 350 ***. That's just my two cents. When I first started modding my car, I'd thought about trying to build a "rice rocket" on a camaro platform, cause it's never really been done. After the shear rudeness and disrespect from these v-8 guys, I'm starting to reconsider doing it. I mean hey, it's not like they own the camaro and can tell me what it should be like
Old 09-04-2002, 10:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by Marc 85Z28

And who the hell are you others stating that I'm not allowed to voice my opinion. Just because you don't like it does not make it illegal. Taking up bandwidth - how about a sig pic in every post
Your opinion wasn't asked for along with anyone elses.. this post was originally about how to go about shaving doorhandles... read the topic and the origiinal posters content....

My personal sig is hosted by my website that I pay to have.. I'm stealing bandwidth from myself.. I don't see that as a problem to the boards (although it might be.. I'm not that savvy about internet stuff..)

What I quoted in my post about wasting bandwidth (which was originally posted and made a sticky, which is sad in itself it had to be done, by a moderator and is what I believe you are referring to..) is about seeing yourself talk about useless crap (name calling or opinions not asked for) that has no relation or assistance to the topic at hand. Why is shutting up and just leaving the post and thinking what you want to say but keeping it yourself when not asked to comment on **** (a post) so friggin hard to comprehend ?

Leave it be. If you can't assist when asked for assistance don't bother repling. If you're not helping.. you're only hurting..

:leaves soapbox:

Edit.. and Marc.. I hope you don't take it personally.. I wasn't singling you out or directing this towards you.

Last edited by deadbird; 09-04-2002 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:55 AM
Supreme Member

1. Congratulations. You certainly achieved that.

2. Even you don't like certain parts of the car. Why jump on me when I say the same thing - hypocrite. Like I said earlier, the car looks OK, just not the wheels. And yes, Prime, ICW, etc etc sell wheels just like those for real cheap. They may be one-off $400 wheels, but that doesn't mean dick.:
If I posted "Tell me what you think about this Car", and said I didn't like some things, then criticized you for doing the same thing, yes, I would be a hypocrite. In case you didn't notice, this thread ISN'T ABOUT YOURS OR ANYONE ELSE'S OPINION ON ANYONE's CAR, OR THE MODS ON THAT CAR!! I am just stating that this isn't the place for it. If you feel the need to comment, start a thread on it, or PM me. We're trying to help somebody here. BTW Prime, etc always copy other wheels...and NO ONE has a copy of these. Like SS/ZR1 wheels are original .

3. I run at 2 local dragstrips fairly often. I rarely see cars like yours there - they've been laughed off the track. [/B]
I'm glad you rarely see cars like hers...thats the whole point. We're not a bunch of lemmings, mindlessly building our car to the whim of some punks on a message board. Its different by design. Its slow, yes, but we haven't gotten to that part yet...then we'll do the laughing :sillylol: Its going to be fun wasting clowns like you.
And while I may not enter in car shows (although it IS clean enough to), I have never had a negative comment about my car. [/B]
Why don't you post some pictures, and we'll be the judge. I mean, if its ok for you to judge us, its only fair we can judge yours too. BTW your car is boring...see, theres your first negative comment!

The first thing they ask is "Where did you get those rims?"[/B]
If someone doesn't know where to get ZR1/SS wheels, they must be even bigger a$$clowns than you; you can practically buy those things at K-Mart!

And who the hell are you others stating that I'm not allowed to voice my opinion. Just because you don't like it does not make it illegal. Taking up bandwidth - how about a sig pic in every post [/B]
Oh, you can state your opinion...feel free (Whoever it was that said "Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt" was talking about this guy...what a tard ). Just do it where its appropriate, or better yet PM the person in question. In case you hadn't noticed, no one asked for an opinion in this thread...ITS ABOUT SHAVING DOORHANDLES!!!! Know anything about that? Ever done it? Then STFU and go play somewhere else.

BTW my sig is hosted somewhere else also...the only bandwidth I'm wasting is trying to use reason and logic with losers like you.

Last edited by LT1guy; 11-27-2002 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:01 AM
Supreme Member

Like I said earlier, the car looks OK, just not the wheels. And yes, Prime, ICW, etc etc sell wheels just like those for real cheap. They may be one-off $400 wheels, but that doesn't mean dick.
Niche and Neeper have never been known to release a design to the mass producers. That's why the rims are $400 a piece. You are paying for a low production rim. But hey if you are so sure they have duplicated my rims at Prime and ICW, then please send me a link to the pic of their version. Otherwise I'll know you are just blowing smoke. Though I would be interested in getting a back up set just in case mine get messed up, esp if they are so cheap. I may even go with 18s this time... Oh & there is a guy I know who really wants a set!

Seriously...I'm 99% positive the rims you are thinking of are a set of Arreli (sp?) Rims known as Assasins. They have been duplicated by a few companies and are everywhere and in sizes from 15 up to 20s. Heck they prob come in 24s now. I believe a company like Prime, Ultra, or Progessive bought the rights to produce these.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:15 AM
Supreme Member

Joezero, don't let anybody dictate what you build or how you build it...build it for yourself, and your enjoyment, and if the vocal few here don't like it, f*ck 'em, its not their car anyway.

Its funny, you mention the whole import scene and how the domestic guys (of which I am, I have never had an import project) dissaprove because the cars are slow, or can't back up the performance image, but the funny thing is, neither can 90% of the cars on this board. How many people on this board can post a legit 12 second timeslip from their daily driver? I'm betting very few. Sure, we have some fast cars here...some probably in the 9s or faster (though I doubt they're driven)...but most are 14 second cars or slower.Not all of them are modded visually, but the image is already there...V8, RWD, ground effects, etc. There are dozens of new cars that are at least that fast, and most are imports.

I still think its funny that so many third genners get caught up in the **** argument; I guess they have to, since they as a whole (not all, but most) can't keep up with the 4th gens, the Buick Turbos, the Mustangs (funny, they're never mentioned...oh yeah, they're a lot faster, nevermind), the older musclecars..."****" was all that was left. I guess when you're incapable of building a fast car, all you can do is lower your sights and go after the underdogs.

The import guys are getting smarter, too, at least around here. I'm seeing more and more being modified for speed...turbos, aftermarket superchargers, nitrous (I do wish they'd quit calling it "nawss"), gutted interiors, etc. Sure, there are some posers still, and guys who intend to do the speed stuff but havent yet...sort of like F-body guys. Had she had the money, and knowhow, Redraif's car would have had a stout V8 in it a long time ago. Between us, we're going to make it happen. Most of us aren't made of money, our cars don't get finished overnight, esp if we have something more than "stock', or average in mind. Just because a car is painted and presentable doesn't mean its finished, by any means.

Last edited by LT1guy; 11-27-2002 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:48 PM

I took a look at the campbell hausefield welders today. Here's a link to the page about the one I'm thinking is the one I need.http://chnetwork.tooloffers.com/?AID=8225969&PID=96600 Is that it? Thanks, Joe

Last edited by joezero; 09-05-2002 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:51 PM
Supreme Member

I would get the gasless Mig over the stick welder...the stick welders are tougher to weld sheetmetal with, esp for a beginner. I have never used a gasless MIG, mine (Miller) is the gas type. I think the gas type mainly just gives a cleaner weld.

***edit***
Actually, they use a flux wire to shield the weld, so there shouldn't be a huge difference...the wire probably costs more, but most can be converted to use gas later with a regulator and the proper wire. I'd ask, though.

Last edited by LT1guy; 09-06-2002 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:22 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
Taking up bandwidth - how about a sig pic in every post
Actually... if you are referring to the end user's bandwidth (ie yours) then once you've downloaded the pic once, it's stored in your cache and you don't have to load it again. So the only bandwidth LT1Guy used on your end was 20 kilobytes.

But, I digress.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:39 PM
TGO Supporter

the wire probably costs more
Yea, that's one drawback but, you don't have to have a gas tank filled every so often either.

Standard mild steel wire for a mig run $7-8 a 2lb roll & flux core wire is $14-16 a 2lb roll.

Joe.. the one I have is the Flux Core 80 model, (not quite that nice looking tho)
WF200000AV-p/n on the CH website

the only reason it cost the least is because it's one of few welder that can't be converted to MIG down the road. Usually when I buy something, the use down the road plays into what I'll buy. I couldn't justify $250-500 for a MIG if I never had a use beyond making exhaust, small tools & body repair.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:46 PM

Car: 85 Z28
Engine: LG4 modified
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by 1986CamaroSC
I'm just curious but how would you open the door without door handles??
crowbar...
Old 10-27-2002, 11:13 PM

why cant ppl read the thread before posting
Old 10-27-2002, 11:19 PM

why cant ppl read the thread before posting
Old 10-29-2002, 12:29 AM

Location: tokyo - where the girls are pretty and the cars are fast
I'm sick of a few a-holes ruining good threads here!
you shouldnt be calling yourself an a-hole man, it lowers self esteem

shaved door handles are not rice
Old 10-29-2002, 12:47 AM
Supreme Member

Location: "No one cares if you're in before the lock!" - Best quote ever.
...you just follow these guys around or something...? Ch*ist, grow up...
Old 10-29-2002, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by Azure
...you just follow these guys around or something...? Ch*ist, grow up...
why are you following me around? man u have some serious issues.....
Old 10-29-2002, 05:57 AM

pic of my door
Attached Thumbnails Shaving door handles myself-sideshot1.jpg  
Old 10-30-2002, 07:38 AM

This is what I did with my door panels. The locks dont serve any purpose now, so I took them out. Notice the power lock buttons and the slider are removed
Attached Thumbnails Shaving door handles myself-interiordoor.jpg  

Last edited by throttle; 10-30-2002 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:34 AM

Car: '86 SC
Engine: '88 2.8L
Transmission: 700R4
Nice, that's lookin good, throttle!
:rockon:
Old 11-04-2002, 03:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by throttle
This is what I did with my door panels. The locks dont serve any purpose now, so I took them out. Notice the power lock buttons and the slider are removed
Nicely done! What did you use to illiminate the holes in your inner door panels. It looks very clean. Did you fill them and paint them or cover them in something? I still have the locks in mine. I have not quite decided what to do with mine yet.

Do your doors have the map pockets? You have the same door panels I do. I love their shape.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:53 PM

Yeah I still have the map pockets. I put a piece of plastic in place of the holes, and used this bonding agent to seal and fill as much as possible. Then I put a thin layer of filler to smooth it out. You can't even tell there used to be holes there and it is very strong. A sprayed a texture on it and then painted it trim black. I took all of the rods and actuators from the locks out.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by z28_dave

shaved door handles are not rice
Actually he was refering to people like you. You have been making a habit, as Azure pointed out, of just adding irrelavant comments about Joe and I in an attempt to start fights. If we defend ourselves to you or others flames start and good threads are closed. At least Joe posted some relevant information in this thread and tried to help people.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:53 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by throttle
Yeah I still have the map pockets. I put a piece of plastic in place of the holes, and used this bonding agent to seal and fill as much as possible. Then I put a thin layer of filler to smooth it out. You can't even tell there used to be holes there and it is very strong. A sprayed a texture on it and then painted it trim black. I took all of the rods and actuators from the locks out.
Well you did a really awesome job! It looks as clean as factory! :hail:
Old 11-04-2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by redraif
Actually he was refering to people like you. You have been making a habit, as Azure pointed out, of just adding irrelavant comments about Joe and I in an attempt to start fights. If we defend ourselves to you or others flames start and good threads are closed. At least Joe posted some relevant information in this thread and tried to help people.
who's joe? wow with rude realisations like this one, its no wonder u and joe (?) get flamed.

after these useless comments above, ill try and save this thread with some more info rather than attacks on individuals (ie: me). above i noticed that door lock actuators were mentioned. Instead of that how about tryin somethin more reliable like remote window controllers. if youre into street rodding at all you can buy kits that control the windows by remote so u can roll them down and unlock the door by reaching in. i would find this a better way of gettin in rather than door poppers.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:20 PM

Car: '86 TransAm WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Custom TH700R4
Yeah, remote control windows are cool, but how is it more reliable than a lock actuator or 'popper' setup?
It's been my experience that Thirdgen windows are obnoxiously slow to roll down. With the window as your only way in, you have to push the button, and then wait for the windows to roll down, so that you can reach in, pop the locks, and then open your door. With door poppers, it seems to me to be a pretty much instantaneous thing. Push--Click, door's open.

Also, what if it's raining? Do you want to stand there and wait for your window to roll down, before you can get in? Then, once you're in, the window's still open......and your a$$ is getting rained on.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:03 AM

no experience myself, but ive been told that the actuators freeze up in colder climates rendering the doors useless, then u would have to climb into your car from the back hatch.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:57 AM
Supreme Member

who's joe? wow with rude realisations like this one, its no wonder u and joe (?) get flamed.

after these useless comments above, ill try and save this thread with some more info rather than attacks on individuals (ie: me).
LOL - Now, THAT is funny. You consider that a "rude" statement? You think THAT'S an attack? (I'm not sure you really wanted to use the word "realization" there) Buddy, you haven't been here long enough. Go back through the history and you'll see plenty of rude statements and vicious attacks, especially comments made towards Shannon. It's pretty pathetic that the internet has made people more coarse/rude in day to day interaction. Put these people in face to face conversation and there would definitely be a change. Yeah, yeah, I've heard it before "I'd say it to her face" - I call BS.

no experience myself, but ive been told that the actuators freeze up in colder climates rendering the doors useless, then u would have to climb into your car from the back hatch.
Been told by who? GM? Ford? Chrysler? Now, see, to ME this is a useless comment. There are hundreds of thousands of cars out there using these types of actuators and you don't have masses of people stranded outside their cars during the winter. I've used solenoids/poppers in my Trans Am during the coldest winters Colorado and Virginia can throw at me, and the only time I've had a problem was when the door was frozen shut due to melting snow refreezing overnight. You may try to point out that right there is the problem, but that happens to my other two cars WITH door handles as well.

S.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:39 AM

if youre into street rodding at all you can buy kits that control the windows by remote so u can roll them down and unlock the door by reaching in. i would find this a better way of gettin in rather than door poppers.
Actually, I am into street rodding and like speedcat said, I'm not going to sit there waiting for my window to roll down. And if you have a passenger, it would take about five minutes for both of the windows to roll down. Street rods are not driven every day and usually not in the rain. Plus the windows are about 1/8 of the size.

ive been told that the actuators freeze up in colder climates rendering the doors useless
what’s to stop the windows from freezing? I personally don't drive my car in the winter so this doesn’t become a problem.

The reason I shaved my doors is because someone tried to steal my car and pulled the lock cylinder out ruining my door skin. For the same price it would have cost to replace the skin, I had it shaved. Next time the thief will have to break the window.

and by the way, people will sacrifice practicality if it makes their car look better or dive faster.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:35 AM
Supreme Member

after these useless comments above, ill try and save this thread with some more info rather than attacks on individuals (ie: me). above i noticed that door lock actuators were mentioned. Instead of that how about tryin somethin more reliable like remote window controllers. if youre into street rodding at all you can buy kits that control the windows by remote so u can roll them down and unlock the door by reaching in. i would find this a better way of gettin in rather than door poppers.
Well its obvious if you don't know who he is you have no right to insult him as you did above. Though don't play innocent. You have had multiple posts saying things about me and him in the past few weeks. So all you have proven is what a short term memory you really have. Again, even Azure noticed, so others have as well. And if you really wanted to know what you have done then I guess you should not have deleted my PM to you! But for the final identity reminder....Joe: LT1Guy & Shannon (me): Redraif

As for relevant content:
Windows actually aren't as reliable. Rolled up and down multiple times a day and in bad weather (rain) on a daily driver would be a bigger pain. I would rather wear out a selinoid and replace it then a power window motor. Esp not in cars our car's age. They are prime for failure due to being old & worn out. So I would think they would be less practical.

I have had the "Poppers" on my car since 1999. In fact, I had installed them, but them I still had door handles. I wanted to be sure they worked properly for some time before I removed the handles. And once, and only one instance, the door did freeze shut, but even the handle could not open the door. And the selinoid was actually still working as I hit the remote for the doors. I could hear it actually pulling the latch. But simply put, the door was frozen shut. The rear hatch was frozen shut as well. I had to get a hair dryer and heat up the door where the rubber weather strip was. In a minute or 2 the door popped open just fine.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:47 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by scauffiel
LOL - Now, THAT is funny. You consider that a "rude" statement? You think THAT'S an attack? (I'm not sure you really wanted to use the word "realization" there) Buddy, you haven't been here long enough. Go back through the history and you'll see plenty of rude statements and vicious attacks, especially comments made towards Shannon. It's pretty pathetic that the internet has made people more coarse/rude in day to day interaction. Put these people in face to face conversation and there would definitely be a change. Yeah, yeah, I've heard it before "I'd say it to her face" - I call BS.
Funny he actually said he would say it to my face. Though I bet he conveniently forgot that too... but I agree, I think it is a bunch of . And Dave if you have "forgotten," then how about you run a search on your own posts. You would be able to see for yourself why some of us have a negative opinion of your past posts.

Been told by who? GM? Ford? Chrysler? Now, see, to ME this is a useless comment. There are hundreds of thousands of cars out there using these types of actuators and you don't have masses of people stranded outside their cars during the winter. I've used solenoids/poppers in my Trans Am during the coldest winters Colorado and Virginia can throw at me, and the only time I've had a problem was when the door was frozen shut due to melting snow refreezing overnight. You may try to point out that right there is the problem, but that happens to my other two cars WITH door handles as well.
S.
Yep there have been Winter days that my doors popped open fine, but my other car, that has handles, had the door frozen shut. But in my experience the worst problem in the winter is the lock cylinders freezing and you can't unlock the door. With the car shaved, that problem is gone!
Old 11-05-2002, 12:23 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: ......
Transmission: ......
Shannon,great car!Cool to see you did it all yourself.Just ignore the people that have nothing better to do in theyre life other than try to bring down people that are better than them!Im shaving my handles in a week and am wondering what shaved handle kit you went with?I actually only know of two: AutoLoc and SPAL.Any experience with either of these?Once again good work!
Old 11-05-2002, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks!

I got my Kit from Summit. Its made by VPA. VPA also made the kit I went with for power locks and windows. It a good product. I had to modify some components a bit. The screw that was used to attached the solenoid cable to the latch mechanism kept sliping, so I had to redesign that part. After that I have not had a problem.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:32 PM

Buddy, you haven't been here long enough
oh but i have. i was here when before ubb, maybe 97 or so. i used to go by another name but when i tried to sign up, it was apparently already taken

Been told by who? GM? Ford? Chrysler? Now, see, to ME this is a useless comment. There are hundreds of thousands of cars out there using these types of actuators and you don't have masses of people stranded outside their cars during the winter.
numerous people in the street rodding community. many companies are no longer carrying the door poppers because they sell way more door window remote controls because many rodders find the solenoids unreliable; i myself have not tried them. i have always used remote windows.

Street rods are not driven every day and usually not in the rain. Plus the windows are about 1/8 of the size.
in most cases not they are not, but a lot of times they actually are driven daily. ive driven a couple of mine daily. 1/8 the size? not even a model A is 1/8 the size of a thirdgen; thats an extreme statement. even 33 ford windows are very close in size of a thirdgen.

Well its obvious if you don't know who he is you have no right to insult him as you did above. Though don't play innocent. You have had multiple posts saying things about me and him in the past few weeks. So all you have proven is what a short term memory you really have. Again, even Azure noticed, so others have as well. And if you really wanted to know what you have done then I guess you should not have deleted my PM to you! But for the final identity reminder....Joe: LT1Guy & Shannon (me): Redraif
so? deal with that fact that im not a nice person. this is the way i am and im going to continue to act the way i want to. you need to realize that not everyone is goin to be nice to you in the world and there are people that are going to step on you. im not going to go with behavior conformity, if thats the way this board operates. i have no clue why u think i deleted a pm of yours.

Windows actually aren't as reliable. Rolled up and down multiple times a day and in bad weather (rain) on a daily driver would be a bigger pain. I would rather wear out a selinoid and replace it then a power window motor. Esp not in cars our car's age. They are prime for failure due to being old & worn out. So I would think they would be less practical.
what brand of remote window controllers were u using?

Funny he actually said he would say it to my face. Though I bet he conveniently forgot that too... but I agree, I think it is a bunch of . And Dave if you have "forgotten," then how about you run a search on your own posts. You would be able to see for yourself why some of us have a negative opinion of your past posts.
i would say it to your face. why cant people express opinions around here? i might use different words (maybe) to your face, but id still get my point across to you.
im not goin to sift through a bunch of my past posts just so that u can make a point.

and im stating this now:
"i dont care what u think about me"

sounds familiar doesnt it?
Old 11-05-2002, 09:40 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: ......
Transmission: ......
ah yes,i totally forgot about that one,ive seen that kit in lowrider mag before.Now do they have two different kits,1 with heavy duty solenoids(35pounders)and 1 regular basic kit?AutoLoc and SPAL have those 2 options.I will be going with the 35lb kit just because of what guys have told me.I live i BC canada and a shop im going to be ordering the SPAL kit through is asking $225 canadian.The same kit is listed in truckin mag for $135 american.Im most likely going to go with the SPAL kit.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

oh but i have. i was here when before ubb, maybe 97 or so. i used to go by another name but when i tried to sign up, it was apparently already taken
Oh yea, what was the other name you went by???.......
Old 11-05-2002, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by FLYNLOW92rs
Oh yea, what was the other name you went by???.......
camarodave
Old 11-06-2002, 02:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
I think it would be really cool if you could make a shaved door that had a pop out door handle so when you lock the car, the handle sits flush with the car, but when you unlock it, the handle pops out.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:13 AM

Z28 Dave,

I don’t think you understand that for 3rd gens, rolling down the windows isn’t as practical as popping the door. The windows take to long. For street rods, I agree with you. My dad had a chopped 32 coupe and the windows were only 6" tall, and they were fast. And since you have no experience with popping the doors, then maybe you shouldn't be giving advice. I know you claim to be Mr. Street Rodder himself, but you are not the only one with "street rodder" experience. If you drive your supposed Street Rods every day, I have to wonder if you know what a street rod is.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:25 AM
Supreme Member

Then I think you'd know that a LOT of us are just sick and tired of the whining flamers that have nothing useful to say. Instead they come in with helpful comments like "what a steaming pile of **** that I wouldn't let my worst enemy drive what the hell were you thinking are you a friggin moron you must have your head in your @ss to think that looks good were you dropped on your head..." Ad Nauseum.

numerous people in the street rodding community. many companies are no longer carrying the door poppers because they sell way more door window remote controls because many rodders find the solenoids unreliable; i myself have not tried them. i have always used remote windows.
Oh, you said actuators so I thought you meant the door lock actuators that come stock in cars nowadays - not solenoids which are used in shave kits.

so? deal with that fact that im not a nice person. this is the way i am and im going to continue to act the way i want to. you need to realize that not everyone is goin to be nice to you in the world and there are people that are going to step on you. im not going to go with behavior conformity, if thats the way this board operates. i have no clue why u think i deleted a pm of yours.
And you need to deal with the fact that you will be considered a low-life turd that isn't worth the effort to speak to if you continue on that bent. You wanna be stepped on? Do you like being stepped on? Do you like being talked down to? Do you like having people **** on things YOU like? I would say no to all. Because it MAY happen in day-to-day living does NOT mean it's okay to go ahead and do it because it'd happen anyway. Your mother would be proud.

All you (and others like you) are being asked is to be civil in your discourse here. That's all. And y'all have issues with that. That's too bad. Sad actually, but telling.

S.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:14 AM
Supreme Member

The main reason you don't see poppers on street rods is the fact that most are fiberglass (very light doors), and the poppers could easily damage the doorjamb. The power window deal makes sense on a car like that. On a heavier steel bodied car like a 3rd gen, they're not going to hurt anything, and the doors are heavy enough that the door won't swing open too far. Plus, for a daily driver, I wouldn't want to have to roll down the window and roll it back up in the rain just to get in the car.

Quick Reply: Shaving door handles myself