Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

gta wheels!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 12:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Bright Red 91 GTA
Engine: CARBED LT4
Transmission: MK6
gta wheels!!

im sure some of u guys have this little problem.....the gta wheels are very hard to keep clean...the problem with mine is that i cant even get them to the point of keeping them clean....they are nasty!....the clearcoat was cracking so i used aircraft stripper to get it all off....once i did that i used mothers mag and aluminum polish and it worked pretty good...they weret anywere near to some of the gta wheels ive seen....but they were ok......my question is what have some of u guys used to clean and shine them to a mirror finish and get them to resist all the road grime brake dust and all the stuff....could you re-clear them after there totally shine to a mirror finish>?....and the gold lace part is allso very dirty mostly brake dust

16x8 gta gold lace....

also does someone make these wheels is 17 inch?
Old 08-05-2002, 02:02 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60e
I'd also like to know about the alluminum section cleaning.

But about the 17s in gta style...closest you'll find are a set of factory vette wheels that have a ring of rivets around the outside. Somebody's got a pic of them around here. There nice as long as you don't mind the rivets (I hate rivets).
Old 08-06-2002, 03:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Bright Red 91 GTA
Engine: CARBED LT4
Transmission: MK6
i guess noone has a gta with crappy lookin wheels huh?
or they dont know how to clean um?

strange cuz this is the "APPEARENCE" BOARD
Old 08-06-2002, 05:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 92 TA vert
after i polished mine. they are very easy to clean. just wipe with a wet soft cloth. and every two months give them a quick polish with mothers polish.

i did not clear it would dull them a bit. the spokes are the harder part to keep clean.
Attached Thumbnails gta wheels!!-wheel1s.jpg  
Old 08-06-2002, 09:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
trigger GTA , those are absolutly brilliant, did u do those urself?
Old 08-06-2002, 10:10 PM

i had prob THE DIRTIEST wheels around, they were ever cleaned!. i almost thought i had black lace wheels but it was all brake dust. i got some megueirs(spel??) wheels claen aand poish stuff(comes in a purple spray bottle and i put lots on. i left them for two minutes and high pressure hosed it all off. they came out very clean, all the brake dust just washed away. i had to do the front wheels again because they were REALLY bad. when i got them done i wrapped a cloth around my finger and went throught every spoke!. took a long time but was well worth it.

however the aluminum part of my wheel has chips of clear coat missing so i am going to strip all the clear off and put some autosol metal polish on them. then whenever they become a little dirty just wipe it off with a cloth.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 92 TA vert
Originally posted by breathment
trigger GTA , those are absolutly brilliant, did u do those urself?
ya i did them all (with some help from a friend) we put them on a wheel balencer and spun it up them just aplyed the sand paper to smooth them out. CAUTION it is very dangerous. and you got to be careful around the valve stem hold. it took very little time to do this way. i tryed to do one by hand but it took way to long and i started to get waves in the finish.

I love the way they look. i have never seen anyones that are close to what they look like

here is an other pic
Attached Thumbnails gta wheels!!-trans-am12a11.jpg  
Old 08-07-2002, 03:31 AM

Car: 1990 GTA
Engine: 5.7 T.P.I.
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:23
Jeg's has brake dust covers that go between the wheels and the brakes.I bought one for each wheel since I have 4 wheel discs(they come in sets of 2).If you have drums on the back you probably would only need them for the front.I figured I would just take the wheels off and they would fit right on,wrong,they were just a little to big to fit right into the GTA rims but they are very thin metal(aluminum I guess)so you could trim a little off with tin snips.I have a grinding wheel mounted to a table so I just grinded a little away while turning the dust cover the whole time to keep it even.I also spent a lot of time removing the nasty clear coat and cleaning between those damn spokes and polishing the silver part.That is why I bought the dust covers,it keeps them very clean.I kinda liked beeing able to see the rotors and calipers threw the spokes,especially because I had painted the rotors red,but they got dirty real quick and the rims are so much easier to keep clean now.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:34 AM

Car: 1990 GTA
Engine: 5.7 T.P.I.
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:23
No, I didn't paint the freakin rotors! I painted the calipers.