Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Just did my 1st piece of weatherstrip.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just did my 1st piece of weatherstrip.....

Well, as I have posted before I am not too fond of doing interior/upholstery work. It's my least favorite stuff to do. But, I'm definitely getting used to having to do it since my car is so old and it all needs replacing (headliner/weatherstrip/door glass wipers). I did the headliner and am now tackling the weatherstriping.

I bought a kit from "1A Auto" ( http://www.1aauto.com/index.shtml ) off of eBay. They sell buttloads of stuff and if you get it off eBay you will save a few bucks. The kit they sell for 3rd gen's is "Metro" brand ( http://www.metrommp.com/ ) which is top of the line.

I did the drivers side door weatherstrip just now. The Metro part fit like a glove, and even had the little push-pin already installed in the moulding! I had bought new pins at Pep Boys not realizing how complete the Metro part is. Just needed that super black weatherstrip adhesive and also adhesive remover to clean up the old goo before installing the new piece.

Turns out the factory moulding used double-stick tape to hold the piece on at the front of the door opening. I didn't have any of that stuff so I just used the super black adhesive and I have the door closed on it and the window rolled up holding everything tightly in place until it dries eral well. Also at this time you can pull the moulding out a bit at the top of the door glass to let it take a good seating while drying and shaping itself to the glass top area.

Some words of caution to those who like me are doing it the 1st time: the super black adhesive comes out very fast, and thin. And runs like crazy for several seconds until it tacks up. Use it sparingly. I had to quickly let the spooge run off the door rail onto my tube of glue and hand in order to not let it fall onto the interior floor! I then just lightly dabbed it into place and that worked great. Then, be careful as you must apply adhesive to the moulding itslef first, and after the moulding and door rail glue has tacked up you apply some more to the moulding and start putting it into place. Well, it is long and unwieldy and just wants reall bad to brush up against you interior door panel and seats and leave ugly black adhesive spooge all over the place. I got lucky and didn't have any accidents but the moulding was trying its damndest to make a mess!

Well, it fit into place really sweet, I got the window rolled up after tucking in the moulding everywhere and now the door is closed on it and it's just curing and drying. Then I'll move onto the passenger side. Then I can finish my headliner install by replacing all the pillar pieces.

So, if any of you guys are thinking about re-doing your weatherstripping the Metro stuff is awesome.

*Whoops! Can this be moved to the Body & Interior forum?*

Last edited by Tom Keliher; 08-04-2002 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welp, just did the passenger side today after work. It went a lot easier with some experience under my belt, LOL.

The driver side turned out perfect. It cured overnight, and the glue worked just great. Closing the door with the window up, and then smoothing out all the moulding is the ticket. When it sits overnight, it dries and cures and molds itself to the glass and seams etc and wow, I'm really pleased how it's turned out.