Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Why Do People Let Their Dogs Run Loose!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Do People Let Their Dogs Run Loose!!!!

I was on my way back from the cruise in at Tanger Outlet Mall in Locust Grove, Ga. tonight when some dumb mut runs out in front of my Z, BLAM! Busted the front spoiler, the nose, the parking lamp, and ripped the air dam off the bottom. I want to know why people don't keep their pets either on a chain or in a fenced in area or something! Not only did it tear my car up, but somebody's pet is gone too. Oh well luckily I got full coverage, so for a $250 deductible the insurance gets to buy me a new front end. Can't say the same for the dog though.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:36 AM

At least now that dog cant breed.....

sucks about the $250 bucks though
Old 07-21-2002, 01:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 90 irocz
Engine: 350tip
Transmission: 700r4
thats why my cat is a house cat. NEver got along wiht most dogs for some odd reason (no, im not a fruity).
Old 07-21-2002, 08:59 AM
Banned

Good luck getting that flame job touched up Hopefully the insurance covers "custom" paint work?

Luckily it wasn't someone's kid. Sucks you killed a dog though
Old 07-21-2002, 09:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Transmission: 700R4
How big of a dog? How fast were you going when you hit it? Well I saw my freinds little dog run down probably at 40mph. It rolled several times under the car then came out the back spinning. I'll always remember the way those head lights zoomed in on that dog and BAM!!!!! The dog was laying in the middle of the street spazing out. You know it only came out with a scratched ear and a bit lip. Thats a tuff little coker spaniel!
Old 07-21-2002, 09:43 AM

Location: Ocean State, lil Rhody, the biggest littlest state in the union, Rhode Island
Car: 1988 GTA Black/Gray
Engine: Blown 355
I keep my dogs fenced at all times. There have been a couple of times they have made the great escape and I was so worried they would have been hit. There are so many a-holes that don't belong owning pets. I hate to say it, but a dog with that kind of owners is probably better off.

It's a good thing you didn't hit my dog, You'd need frame work too. She weighs 190lbs!
Old 07-21-2002, 10:34 AM

As far the touch up on the flames goes, the fade in the flames does not start until past the nose piece so the nose is all one color. Plus the body shop I am taking it to does excellent work. As far is hitting the dog goes I was doing about 55 when we collided. I didn't see the dog after I hit him, of course I was paying more attention to the mark he left on my car at the time. It was a huge dog so he may have gotten away with just broke bones, serves him right .
Old 07-21-2002, 10:51 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by David Culpepper
As far the touch up on the flames goes, the fade in the flames does not start until past the nose piece so the nose is all one color. Plus the body shop I am taking it to does excellent work. As far is hitting the dog goes I was doing about 55 when we collided. I didn't see the dog after I hit him, of course I was paying more attention to the mark he left on my car at the time. It was a huge dog so he may have gotten away with just broke bones, serves him right .

Dont lie, you aimed to hit the dog didnt you! <font color=red>DIDNT YOU!! </font> dog killer.....

:sillylol: LOL I'm just ing man. lol.....
Old 07-21-2002, 11:15 AM

Oh, man, David, I'm so sorry to hear that! After I encouraged you to make the drive out here for that show, this is what you get?! Jeez, that sucks! I saw a dog get wallopped by a passing car while I was out mowing the lawn and it just rolled under the car and then limped off howling... but that was a normal car, aka high off the ground. I'm surprised you didn't drag the dog's carcass to a stop. Where were you, on I-285? Was the drive home scary without an airdam (kept one eye on the temp gauge) or did it not matter since most of your front end was missing...? Once again, man, sorry, that sucks! Lemme know if you need a hand putting on the new nose once you get it...
Later,
Chris
Old 07-21-2002, 11:29 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Camaro
Engine: 406
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Sorry to hear about that David, hope ya get it fixed and all goes well with out problems for you.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
Damn man that sucks... good luck with the repairs!
Old 07-21-2002, 01:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro
Engine: Built L98
Transmission: T-56 6 speed
dogs arent really the problem. When you see dogs running around its normally cause the dogs found a way to break out. The ****ing cat owners are ****ing annoying (no offense to you cat owners if you dont do this) they let their cats run around. Back in my old town every cat owner at night would let their cats out. KNOWING that they would run into others yards ****, eat fruits, kill fish, etc. Even all my freinds neighborhoods. At night the owners LET THEM run around outside into others yards etc. Now thats ****ing annoying. Sorry about that...just venting...
Old 07-21-2002, 03:21 PM

Car: 05 GTO, 88 GTA, 98 SS
Where is Cataula at? I'm in Albany.

Some jackass let their dog out and he killed my car that I had for like my whole life. The dog still runs around all the time. Whenever it's time for a new paint job I'm going to run that dog down before I drop my car off at the paint shop
Old 07-21-2002, 04:40 PM

That sucks about your car but too bad for the dog too...

I have two big dogs that are kept at my Mom's house and they always get out somehow, over the fence, dig under the fence.....knock the damn fence down....

They just love to get out and run, run run run...

They're siberian husky mixes.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:06 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Timmys88Z
That sucks about your car but too bad for the dog too...

I have two big dogs that are kept at my Mom's house and they always get out somehow, over the fence, dig under the fence.....knock the damn fence down....

They just love to get out and run, run run run...

They're siberian husky mixes.

I heard if you let a husky go the dog doesnt come back. They just run away. It happen to one of my freinds. One day the dog was taking a **** in the back yard the next day he was gone.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:47 PM

Hey Chris, I appreciate the offer for your help, but I don't have to do any of the work I am just letting the body shop handle everything. I know the guy who owns the body shop, he won't let my car leave the shop till it is perfect, so I trust him. I was on the two lane 85. Hey the spoiler needed to be replaced any way right?
Black Widdow: Cataula is just north of Columbus by about 10min.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by redbird_400

I heard if you let a husky go the dog doesnt come back. They just run away. It happen to one of my freinds. One day the dog was taking a **** in the back yard the next day he was gone.
They do come back, longest they were ever gone was a day or so. Usually its an hour or two. This is in Tahoe and its in the woods so not too many busy roads near by.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by REVLIMIT
dogs arent really the problem. When you see dogs running around its normally cause the dogs found a way to break out. The ****ing cat owners are ****ing annoying (no offense to you cat owners if you dont do this) they let their cats run around. Back in my old town every cat owner at night would let their cats out. KNOWING that they would run into others yards ****, eat fruits, kill fish, etc. Even all my freinds neighborhoods. At night the owners LET THEM run around outside into others yards etc. Now thats ****ing annoying. Sorry about that...just venting...
That picture is SICK! Love it! Kinda *****.. ?? But I like it!
Old 07-21-2002, 10:43 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91' Camaro
Engine: 383 ci
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt / 3:70
I don't know about your area, but here in California, if someone allows thier dog to run, even if it just gets out of the yard, it is thier responsibility. I hit a dog many years back and after the fact found that the owner of that dog was responsible for any damage costs, etc. I could of had the police go to his house and file a report, had my insurance cover any repair, then they would have had him pay the cost. Wish I knew it at the time....
Old 07-22-2002, 11:26 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.5L Iron Duke 4 cylinder
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Originally posted by redbird_400
You know it only came out with a scratched ear and a bit lip. Thats a tuff little coker spaniel!
We used to have a cocker spaniel and it was hit too. Came out alright! They are pretty tough little dogs.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:32 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.8
Axle/Gears: Dana 60
We used to have a neighborhood dog named Lucky. Big gold lab. Got hit 4 times and always came out from under the car alright. Guess thats why they named him lucky.

I hate when people don't chain their dogs up. My gf is one of them. She lets the little sh*t sit on her lap and then she gets up and the dog runs off somewhere. Sometimes I wish the little f-ck would get it. Its a pissy little dog and I hate it. Ugly as sin too. Its a boston terrier...enough said.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:36 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by billsfirebird

We used to have a cocker spaniel and it was hit too. Came out alright! They are pretty tough little dogs.
Yeah kinda makes you feel better when you beat them for krapping on you carpet. Hey the dog can take it, they can get hit by a car and survive. So dont fell bad for smacking you dog around for ****ting. They might make some noise but it doesnt really hurt them it just confuses them a bit so that why they wine.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:30 PM

Got some very good news today, the insurance company said that hitting a dog falls under comprehensive and I don't even have to pay a deductible. I also found out that the dog cracked my fog lamps and they don't make that style anymore so I get to find a even better set and put it on the insurance's tab.

:lala: :lala: :lala: :lala:
Old 07-23-2002, 02:42 AM

Car: 1986 Z-28 Camaro
Engine: 355
Transmission: T-5
Re: hitting dogs

Redbird, do you drown kittens too? Does beating dogs give you a hardon? That's some fu*ked up sh*t. You need therapy. I had a dog for 15 years and I loved her like family. She might have gotten a cuff once in a blue moon, but she was always treated like one of the family - we sure as hell didn't beat her, whether she could "take it" or not.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:02 PM

Reading this post is making me laugh, I am a big cat fan, i have 4 of them and they stay inside where they are safe from cars on the road. I've only hit one dog on the road and it was sick. I hit a rott-weiler with my 4x4 bronco and it got stuck in my steering and i had to pick it out. THat was Sick.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:24 PM

Hey, David, you got any pics of the damage, yet? I'm interested in seeing how much damage a dog can do when hit at 55mph... Makes me wonder, a deer collision could total the car, right?
Later,
Chris
Old 07-23-2002, 05:48 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 lG4
dude I know just how you feel like a month ago I dog ran into the side of my car and did about $800 dollars in damage. I wish dog owners would pay more attention.
Old 07-23-2002, 06:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Iroc Z
Engine: 383ci.
Transmission: WC-T5
Did you even stop to see how the dog was. Did you know it's a criminal offence if you don't stop to see how the dog/cat was? because it is property of another person. We had a bus driver in highschool that was stripped of his license for a year because of that. he was charged with a hit and run.

I keep my dog tied up all the time. I have to keep her tied to both a collar and a choker chain cause she snaps collars by themselves. she snaps 3/4 chain links too and it worries me that she'll get hit. i live in a small town where the posted speed limit is 40km/h and people fly through doing almost 100km/h. I know if someone ever hit my dog, i would snap and kick his ****ing head in, cause its very difficult if your really doing 40km/h to not see a huge rottweiler.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:55 PM

Hey Chris I will take some pics and post them tom. before I take her to the body shop.
Cruzn : No I didn't see how the dog was, because I was a tad pissed about the car. Say what you want but when you put all your money and time into a car to get it looking good and some stupid mut runs out in front of it and tears it to pieces the last thing on your mind is the mut. That dog was lucky I didn't see him after the collision because if had I would have made sure it was severely hurt!
Old 07-24-2002, 02:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I'm so sorry David. What a horrible thing for both of you. I'm glad your comp insurance is handling it. Well, that will take care of that crack you had. Sux it had to happen.

I'm an animal lover. All my dogs and cats have been indoor pets only. I have seen too many pets killed. I want to flatly say horrible things about people who's dogs and cats get out, but I know sometimes it not the owners fault. But those who let them roam by choice should be pushed out in front of a car and see how it feels.

Luckly I have caught mine when they attempt a break out. Scary story for me: I was out with my dog once and she ran across the St. in front of a car to go see a dog that roamed the neighborhood. She was a pound dog and had been abused. I frantically called her to come back and scared her so bad, she dropped on the ground in front of the car and rolled over on her back. I almost saw her kill herself showing obediance to me. Luckly she was fine the guy in the blazer had good brakes. She had never done that before. She was taught to heel and never run off. It was all because of some loose dog.

Oh and to those, who abuse their pets...I have seen the results, above story. I hope they fight back one day, get you in the artery. Imagine fearing for your life so bad you will let a car run over you rather than get hit again. Sorry I feel strongly about abuse of anything helpless: dogs, cats, children, etc... I had my dog 6mo before she would bark. She let one slip and hit the deck like I was about to kill her. I praised her and praised her. There was someone in the yard. Then she got up the guts and would even grawl if my roomate came into my room if I was in bed.

I myself have hit a coker spanial (sp) in my neighborhood. This was a good 10 years ago. Anyway the dog was fine, but cracked my freshly painted frt bumper cover. The crazy thing is that I was behind a school bus and the dog ran infront of it and about got creamed. It then ran to the side of the road and ran back in front of me. It was lucky I was already going slow because of it running in front of the bus. It got bumped and lost some hair. I found out who owned it by calling around. The dog was fine and supposedly she did that all the time. I wanted to tell them to lock her up or she would get killed. If I had only known they should have paid for my frt end.

I hit a cat about a year ago and I was a mess after. I did not kill it right away and it was flopping in the road till the guy who topped the hill after me finished it off. I have never felt so bad. There was nothing I could do it was over the top of a hill, but I still felt bad. I guess my femalness is showing.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Iroc Z
Engine: 383ci.
Transmission: WC-T5
Originally posted by David Culpepper
That dog was lucky I didn't see him after the collision because if had I would have made sure it was severely hurt!
Yeah folks; those are words of a true tough guy right there. i bet you wouldn't feel the same way if the owner was around and stopped you and kicked your ****ing teeth in now would you.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:55 PM

Hey raif, sounds like you have had your share of collision with domestic animals, too. Oh well its part of life.

Hey Cruzn, what is your problem man? You act like it was your dog that I hit. If the owner was there he had the right to hit me just like I would have the right to hit him, I believe this is called a good old fashion fight, but that isn't what happened so get over it.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
Hows this for a story!! Two days ago I bought a 1992 RS B4C from an officer down here in Hawaii. So we're driving to the bank so he can cash my check and as we turn onto the road by the bank a loose dogs runs in front of the car. The officer slammed on his brakes and we ended up only tapping the dog (thank *** for those 11.5 inch brakes in front!!). So the dog went skipping (it was wearing a red shirt!! lol!!) and runs over to some lady. The officer gets out of his car (now my car) and writes her a ticket for not having the dog on a leash!!! Bahahahhaha!!! No damage to the car and makes a great story to tell my friends. Never a dull moment.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:36 AM

That reminds me off a time when My step sisters cat got out. Its the middle of winter and my step sister came home from work, and parked her car on the side of the house well a hour later she was going to leave to go to her boyfriends house. She whent out to start her truck but there was this horrible squaling sound as the truck started. she shut the truck off and whent to check the engine. So she walked over and opened the hood. Thats when I heard her scream so I whent to the window and opened it. I said what wroung, THats when she said she found here cat. The stupid thing crawled up between here radiatior and the fan. It was cut to bits. My sister still owns that truck today.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:35 AM
Supreme Member

My biggest drama came when we were on our way to the TA Regionals in Pensacola, FL. (midMarch) We were on 85 South at about 1am. Its 2 lane. I'm crusing along in the slow lane. Taking it easy, this was the 1st night test run of my headlight mod. All's good and then I see this form trotting into the road. It looks like a possum, but has a shell like a turtle. This was the first time I saw a live armadillo, well for a few sec anyway.

I had no real time to react. I could go behind him, I might miss him, but I would go of the side of the hwy, nope, not at 75. Could I go quick enough into the fast lane to not hit him and still control the car, nope, not at 75. I would have run over him with the passenger tire and prob crashed the car. So I hit it square. I had this flash that it might clear under the center on the car. Duh not with my spoiler and the car lowered.

So I heard the clunk and the clunking under the car. Though it was him. Then the Check engine light came on. I pulled off and popped the hood. There sat my mass air sensor with no filter on it. MY K&N was gone along with my ATS and N.O.S. nozel. I was amazed. The ATS weather pack conector was ok. The mass air was fine, the hose for the NOS had pulled off. Nothing had broken. Ok now to fine the filter.

We backed up for a mile, till we found the armadillo. It had died instantly at impact. Still no air filter. We hunted for a 1/2 hour. Then we went to the gas station for a flashlight. We got pantyhose for the intake. Man the lady looked a Joe like he was nuts. They let us borrow a flashlight. They had none for sale. We went back out and searched for another 1/2. Then I had a thought. MAbe we should go where I pulled off the side of the road. Maybe just maybe it had hung on that long. We found it. It was flat and bent in 1/2. It had a ton of road rash. We pushed it back out to some sembelance (sp) of its old cone shape. It seemed whole. The NOS nozel and ATS were still there. We got some tie wraps from my emergency bag and straped it back to the frt sway bar. It worked darn it. We got going again around 3Am.

Sat morning we arrived and got the car cleaned up. We headed over to the show and I heard another clunk. The freaking pulley came off the alternator at a traffic light. It fell into the middle of the road. As the alternator fan made is way down it nicked the radiator resurvior (sp) tube. When the serpentine belt came off with the atl. pulley the car overheated and sprayed the bay down in a nice coat of antifreeze.

Of course, this was a mile down the road and I had to hoof it back to the scene and p/u the parts. I ran out into traffic to get the pieces. Aparently the atl. had siezed and that is why the pully walked off. We had to get a new alt from Discount a mile up the road the other way. What a day. We got to the show after it was over on Sat. Then the next morning, we made it there just in time for the close of registration. What a weekend.

Believe it or not, the story got around at the show & High Performance Pontiac mentioned it in their coverage of the S.T.A.R.S. show (Oct. 2002 issue). It has the Silver TA concept 3rd gen on the cover (SunTour). They misquoted it a bit, but that happens. Still its cool to have your name in the mag. The kept calling the car a TA. Too funny, cause its a base model.

Last edited by redraif; 07-25-2002 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:39 AM
Supreme Member

Here is a pic of my old Cold air induction system to help the story make more sence:
Attached Thumbnails Why Do People Let Their Dogs Run Loose!!!!-ramcold-air.jpg  
Old 07-25-2002, 10:35 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Wow, people are getting way to upset at this crap.

Unless I missed something I didn't think redbird meant that he beat the animals to a pulp or for no reason. If a dog craps on your floor, it needs to learn a lesson. Same as with a kid there is beating a kid then there is spanking to teach them a lesson. And I'm all for spanking, it taught me a lesson, I don't dare go against what my Dad says.