Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Moisture In Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moisture In Fog Lights

There is moisture inside on the cover of the fog lights. I don't mean the fog lights themselves but the cover of the compartment they are in. How do I remove the cover to clean it?
Old 06-13-2002, 11:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.8
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Dana 60
I know in my 91 I have to remove these black clamps on the side of the parking lights and the fog lights to get the lenses off. of course, mine is a firebird so it might be different.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:11 PM

I don't think that you're supposed to able to take the lens off. I managed to do it on an old set, but the new ones I have don't come apart. Take the bulb out of the back and blow out the case with some compressed air.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:17 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: ProBuilt 700-R4 & Vigilante Torque Converter
I took one of my fog lights off to repaint it... the paint was faded and peeling off, even though you couldn't notice unless you looked close. I hated it though. I took the whole thing apart to clean the inside too. If I remember right, there is a metal cover that goes around the border of the fog light and kind of holds it together. On the back of the fog light, you'll see that metal wraps around the edges of the fog light a little.. like a clip. I just bent them up enough with a plier to pull off the cover. Then you just have the glass lens cover and the main foglight part (the back) Just yank them apart. I believe it was assembled with a sealant so it may be a little hard to pull the glass cover away from the back part... but it's not too bad at all.

After striping all the ugly paint off, removing the rust, sanding it down and cleaning it completely. I then sprayed a couple coats of primer and then fresh black paint on the back piece (back and sides) and also on the metal cover that you see in the front.

The whole thing turned out nice. I decided not to do the other one because it took so long and no one except for me would notice the fading on the other fog light. Oh yeah... I tried using black paint first that you can put on with a brush... well if you or someone else wants to repaint their foglights..... DON'T DO THIS. The paint dries really uneven. I had to sand it down after, and then I decided to use the spray type of paint. It goes on a lot more evenly and is smoother. Although not as smooth as if you were to buy it new.

To put the fog light back together, simply do the exact same thing only in reverse. I used some gasket sealant maker stuff to hold the glass cover to the back part... then put the front metal piece back on and bent the clips on the back as best I could back into place. And that's it.