Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.
View Poll Results: Which do you think is more important priority?
Appearance & the look of the car before performance!!
32.14%
Make it look good later! SPEED AND POWER BABY!!
60.71%
I am an indecisive piece of brown!
7.14%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

What is more important DOODS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird GTA
honestly, I'd say looks before power. This is how I think- no matter how fast I can make my car . . .theres still someone out there faster then me; so, thats why I want my car to at least look good
another way you can look at it is this, you gain the respect of other car enthusiasts that show the time and effort you put into your car-power or looks
thats my opinion-
Old 05-20-2002, 10:05 PM

I absolutely go for appearance first.....if the car doesn't look good, I don't feel good about the car.

And it really impresses me when I find a third gen that's just as nice/or nicer than my third gen. I don't know if it would matter if a guy was driving the nice Camaro or Firebird....I'd still be impressed and compliment on how good the vehicle looked...
Attached Thumbnails What is more important DOODS?-maro.jpg  

Last edited by Silver87S.C.; 05-20-2002 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:39 AM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R
Cars are like women

Cars are like women for me.... The first thing I see is my

impression.... A girl my give some good.. well.. I shouldn't be foul.. so you get my meaning.., but if shes ugly.. who carez???? right??

if a bird or camaro is ugly.. but does 12's in the 1/4.. same thing..
its all good at the track. but when your out on a nice summer day with the windows down headin to the park, or the local parking lot where all the muscles meet... everyones gonna look at your car, laugh.. and then turn back to there shiny clean, car.

Last edited by Bluebird; 06-02-2002 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
For me, I went with appearance first. The car is my daily driver and to do the engine swap 2.8 V-6 to a V-8 its gonna take some work & time. The car would have to be down for quite a while. This I can't do all by myself either. I have never done much mechanical wk beyond mantainance. Now though my boyfriend and I are going to do the swap & my mom got a new car so I can drive her old one while mine is down. The biggest reason was the cost. For me an engine swap is alot of money all at once when I had a good running engine.

I decided to show the car, so looks were then the priority. With fixing up the looks, I could do things on the weekend. Plus, its mostly work I could do myself: stereo, trim, adding gfx, modding pieces, lighting, & light painting. Nothing really required the car to be down for too long. And it was things I could do in stages w/o having to dump a butt load of money in all at once. Though my paint is decent, it will still need a repaint after the engine swap.

To me, speed is important, esp since the car looks the part now. Mostly it boils down to what $ you have at the time. My car had a good reliable engine until lately, so the swap didn't seem the priority. Now that the 2.8 is on its death bed, the engine is becoming the front runner.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1983, 1986
Engine: 2.8 2bbl, 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 200C 3 speed, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.42
I had to pick category #3. I feel the first goal is to have the car start up, drive smooth, and be reliable. There is no glory in having the best-looking-broken-down-third-gen in the neighborhood. Next, I would focus on getting it clean. Nothing special, just so it doesn''t look like the epitome of trailer trash. Because no matter how fast it is, if it really looks like **** it still will get no respect. After that we move on to the go fast parts. Speed counts and for the racers its money talks BS walks so one should want enogh under the hood to beat those unfortunate people who want to race for $$$. Then with all of the winning money you go and make it a showpiece
Old 05-21-2002, 03:11 PM

To me, speed is important, esp since the car looks the part now.
...And SOUNDS the part too!

I think looks are important because they really determine the personallity of the car when it's parked. Sure a great sounding engine that rumbles and barks the tires out of the parking lot also gives the car personality, but when it's parked somewhere and you can't even see under the hood, what's left? The looks!

When you drive the car, you'll appreciate the performance, however. For example, my car's not that fun to drive b/c of a fuel pump problem and general headaches associated with the carb. However, I had it parked outside my friends house with the (tinted) windows and the paint gleaming in the sunset and despite the many dents and stuff, he still was like "Wow, Chris, you're car looks good; what'd you do?"

~Chris
Old 05-21-2002, 05:11 PM
Mac

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 H.O.
Transmission: 700r4
show before go, you get the looks then you need to back it up! If its going to be a piece of **** racer, thats a strip only car not a street car or a street/strip car.
Old 06-01-2002, 12:43 PM

ok

I know that i am going to be outnumbered here but i wanted to know how this post got turned into how cars get you girls.IMO guys that need material things to get a girl probably won't know what to do with a girl if they got one.I have a nice 3rd gen TA and i would rather race any guy that pulled up next to me then date him.Most girls that are really into cars(i don't mean the girls that act like they are into cars to impress the guys)are more into what the guys car can offer-looks wise,performance wise-then how cute the driver is.As for girls liken rice now that is also in the taste of the individual person.I bet there are a few of you guys that have badas* 3rd gens that can say they have seen a few ricers that they have liked.I myself am a 3rd gen girl all the way,but i can say that there are a few nice ricers out there(just not my thing though).It is just not cool to dump on people's cars when we all know how it pisse* us off when people dump on ours. We all put alot of time, thought,money,and for most sweat & blood into our cars just like most other people(like ricers and mustangs)put into theirs.Just causr it isn't our thing doesn't mean that we can't respect them for doing their thing.As for the poll--I think that GO should most of the time come before SHOW b/c most times when you are out people will see that you have a nice looking car and try to get you to race.You say no you look like a pus you say yes and your car doesn't perform you car looks like a dog.There is always a way around this.DO a little work on both to keep them pretty even.A car that looks good and runs good is the best thing to have. JMO
Old 06-01-2002, 01:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Vette
Engine: 355/195AFR/SR/219CAM/1.6
Transmission: TH700R4/Vigilante
Axle/Gears: D44/3.45
50/50

I think you have to go 50/50
If your car looks good and go fast YOU GOT IT I think
Both things are important but .....if i had tochoose
i go with the looks ...but a hate a good lookin car with lack of performance
Old 06-01-2002, 02:08 PM

Re: 50/50

Originally posted by sammycalderon
.....if i had tochoose
i go with the looks ...but a hate a good lookin car with lack of performance
Now that is a contradiction if I ever saw one. What makes me wonder is how you can have a pretty car and no power behind it when everyone and their mother will challenge your car.... LOL! That is another way of looking at it.

*Sigh* this is the new generation. Young kids. Might as well get that snazzy jazzy stereo and make that interior "bling" and not forget the aftermarket rims that you need because the stock ones are "LAME" and you want to be part of the crowd.

Yeah you'll hate your car all the time you go showing it off?

I just don't quite understand this.

Yes I agree looks are important, but performance is more important. If you are not pleased with the performance of your car, you can do something about it, and THEN do the other things.

That was my point. Why drive around in a car you're unhappy driving, because it's not performing as well as you want it to?
Do something about that! Be the kind of person that just can't wait to drive their car, because it's a pleasure every time you drive it!

That's when it's worth it! Not a drudgery. A feeling that you have every time you get in the car. Makes you want to drive every day!

A stereo, hmmm ok. But an engine.... that is music.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:20 PM
Supreme Member

well I want both but i say show before go. my car looks pretty good right now but hood is fading, so is the hatch and i have a dent in the pass side fender where someone hit me while i was at work and didnt bother to tell me. First on the list before looks or go is definetly getting it running RIGHT. I had some engine bugs to work out, a clogged cat, had to have shocks/struts and tires. all those problems are solved except the tires and since i couldnt find decent tires for my styock 15x7 rims i have a set of 16x8 TT IIs coming as we speak. Im gonna wrap them in some good rubber, get the dent removed and the car painted and then save for a 350 and go fast parts. you got to love the looks of a clean thirdgen.
Old 06-02-2002, 12:21 AM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R
welll

I definitely didn't buy this car, or drive this car to impress girls. I drive it because it makes me feel good, and it is an enjoyable ride.
I love going on road trips with the t-tops off at night down the Interstate, ,kickin on some Floyd at minute volume.... and just looking at the stars..... or.. I mean the road.. hehehehe..

Anyways..... I dunno....I want my car
to do 6 seconds in the 1/4 @ 200 mph..and be streetable.. hahahah yah right.......

I do love speed.....when people ask me to race most of the time I say no not cuz I m a wuss.. but cuz I dont want to tear my car up.. until I get stronger high performance **** on there that can take more abuse, and until I get a daily driver I enjoy driving.. I dont want to do something to my car and end up forced to drive my ****ty winter vehicle all summer long......plus.. I have had bad luck with cops, and have had tons of tickets, ,and spent thousands to get my record back to normal, and insurance down........

I wanna keep it that way