Alternative Port EFI Intakes This board is for tech discussions and questions about aftermarket port EFI such as the HSR, MR, SR, BBK, FIRST, etc.

How to uninstall the Superram

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to uninstall the Superram

Ok, so it's my turn to go through the rite of passage and disassemble and uninstall the Superram on my car. Since I bought this car with the Superram, I have read most of the posts on installing the superram. But, does anyone have any disassembly tricks?

I've been struggling to get the lid off the plenum because the lid drops onto the plenum and it's RTV'd really good. Can someone help me out?

I've tried prying at it, banging it up from the throttle body holes, and gently scraping off as much RTV sealant from the crevices that are accessible. How the heck do you remove the lid of the Superram and the rest of this intake?

Any help would graciously be appreciated.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Corvette 383
Engine: 383 LPE build
Transmission: 4+3... T56 soon enough
Axle/Gears: 3.07
Re: How to uninstall the Superram

Ughhhh... I'm so sorry. You shouldn't ever have to do that. The superram should seal fine using a little vasoline on the paper gaskets to puff them up and create a good seal.

Anyway, you are doing it probably the only way you can. Get small screwdrivers and pry gently at the lid, once it comes loose in one part it should let loose all over. Insert one in a corner until it is just sticking under the lid. Then an inch or two away insert the next one, and you can sort of break the seal slowly.

To get the runner to plenum bolts out, use a 1/4 gear wrench and hopefully they slotted the bolts so you can use a screwdriver and unscrew them from inside the plenum.

As for the base, does it have allen head bolts for the runner to base bolts? I hope, then you use a 6" long allen ball socket. Remove all the bolts except those between the paired runners. Those you can just loosen as the runners slide over them. Loosen them a good deal though. Then lift the runners away and up. If you use the allen ball socket, then you shouldn't even have to remove rocker arms. Otherwise, you will probably have to.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt they slotted the bolts, if they were in a hurry to seal the lid on like that.

One thing though....they are easier to remove, than install...IMO. Not really hard to install either, once you do it and learn the tricks.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 910 Likes on 597 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Spray some carb an choke cleaner/brake cleaner on the sillycone (lol) drink a beer (if of age) while it soaks n to the unholy mess someone has created then use a puttyknife to gently work the lid up without maring the gasket surface..
Old 04-13-2010, 10:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Firebird SE
Engine: C5 LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42

You absolutely need a ball end on the Allen wrench for the runner bolts.
I always have to pull the harness clips off the injectors for the inside runner to plenum bolts.
Meditation also helps. Be relaxed as you do those inside ones... otherwise you'll be up a tree!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you guys! This is what the Accel Tech guy told me.
ACCEL Knowledgebase Question:

I am rebuilding my engine, but am having trouble removing the lid from the Superram plenum. I've removed the screws from the top of the lid, but because a lot of RTV sealant was used to stop vacuum leaks, and the lid fits into the boxed plenum, I am having a hard time removing the lid so that I can remove the plenum, runners and intake. What's the best way to remove the superram intake from my engine given the circumstances? Any help would graciously be appreciated. Warmest Regards, Nelson
Reply from Rep:

Sorry, we have no information on this issue..

TGO seems a lot more helpful than the factory in this instance.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelz
Thank you guys! This is what the Accel Tech guy told me.
ACCEL Knowledgebase Question:

I am rebuilding my engine, but am having trouble removing the lid from the Superram plenum. I've removed the screws from the top of the lid, but because a lot of RTV sealant was used to stop vacuum leaks, and the lid fits into the boxed plenum, I am having a hard time removing the lid so that I can remove the plenum, runners and intake. What's the best way to remove the superram intake from my engine given the circumstances? Any help would graciously be appreciated. Warmest Regards, Nelson
Reply from Rep:

Sorry, we have no information on this issue..

TGO seems a lot more helpful than the factory in this instance.
Naw...they dont care once they got your money!!!!They have no time for you.

TGO is THE BEST SOURCE for everything third gen, and GM EFI related.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:15 AM

Car: 86 Corvette 383
Engine: 383 LPE build
Transmission: 4+3... T56 soon enough
Axle/Gears: 3.07

Yeah it isn't always that stellar in the beginning. You really need a tech who has the thing themselves. Some of the best customer service I've ever had from big a company post purchase was Dart, but sometimes it is all who you talk to.

To their credit, it should not have been installed with RTV... but still...
Old 04-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: TPIS II Supercharged w/Nitrous
Transmission: 700R4 Probuilt
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Richmond 12 Bolt

What are you going to do with your engine once you get the superram off. Are you planning on going factory and doing TPI or T/B. And do you plan on selling the S/R? Have you also considered that the ECM has been retuned for the Superram. You will have to find a stock AUJP chip to replace the custom chip in the ecm. The Miniram and Superram loved Tip-In fuel or AE fueling.. You will have to change this. Also check your injectors.. You should also be using 19 or 24 lb injectors depending on a 5.0 or 5.7...