Alternative Port EFI Intakes This board is for tech discussions and questions about aftermarket port EFI such as the HSR, MR, SR, BBK, FIRST, etc.

HSR swap spark plug question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:04 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HSR swap spark plug question

Just finishing up my heads/cam/HSR/injector swap and got everything done except one problem......

I am running AFR 195's with SLP 1 3/4" headers. The problem is when I put the plugs in there is no room on #7 and 8 to put the boot on?? #7 is possible but would be touching the header and #8 plug is actually touching without the boot on yet...... I ordered some accel shorty header plugs and I'm hoping they work but if not what the heck do I do then??

Anyone else have or heard of this situation. I can't be the only person with these parts. Any help/advise is welcome. Pic of progress attached.
Attached Thumbnails HSR swap spark plug question-hsr.jpg  
Old 11-10-2009, 03:21 PM
AC
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Used to drive a camaro
Re: HSR swap spark plug question

Well, the plug fit has nothing to do with the HSR, I am sure you know that. Are those AFR heads angle plug or straight plug? I run Dart Pro1 heads and Hooker 2210 headers with normal Autolite plugs.My heads are angle plug heads. The plug wires I run are usually Taylor or MSD, both have no touching issues on the primaries.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:38 PM

Car: 91 Z28, 2000 T/A
Engine: SBC 355, LS1
Transmission: T56, T56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 3.73, 3.42

I believe the autolite's are the same length as the Accel shorty plugs. A friend and I did alot of comparing at the parts store one day and we found an Autolite standard copper plug that was the same length as the Accel shorty plug.

Side note. You need 3/4 reach plugs for the AFR's and IIRC the shorty plugs come in standard 5/8 reach, so you won't want to run those. Get some Autolite coppers and you will be good to go. He is running the AFR's with angle plugs and SLP 1 3/4" headers and he has the big *** MSD boots on the wires on autolites and nothing touches.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:16 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rd gen Will
I believe the autolite's are the same length as the Accel shorty plugs. A friend and I did alot of comparing at the parts store one day and we found an Autolite standard copper plug that was the same length as the Accel shorty plug.

Side note. You need 3/4 reach plugs for the AFR's and IIRC the shorty plugs come in standard 5/8 reach, so you won't want to run those. Get some Autolite coppers and you will be good to go. He is running the AFR's with angle plugs and SLP 1 3/4" headers and he has the big *** MSD boots on the wires on autolites and nothing touches.
Correct and changing the plugs is a cast iron bitch. #8 required laying across the top of the engine from the driver's side and reaching down to get to it. The large MSD plug boots do fit though. You do have to be careful to tie up the wires to keep them from touching though because slack in the back of the passenger side will want to hit the header.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:18 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Thanks for the responses. The Accel plugs got here about 5 minutes ago. I was using Autolites already and the AFR's are angle plug. The Accel's are only about 1/8" shorter than the Autolites so I hope they give me the room I need. The Accels are 3/4" reach part #0416S. I'll update later after I install these if anyone is interested....
Old 11-11-2009, 10:36 AM

I would double check, That is the same part number that Beater had and they are too short (5/8 reach). Where are you checking the length from? they should be the same length from seat to tip, if you are going from the end of the plug (where the electrode stick out) to the tip, they are shorter because the plug has a shorter reach.

Originally Posted by SARswmr
Thanks for the responses. The Accel plugs got here about 5 minutes ago. I was using Autolites already and the AFR's are angle plug. The Accel's are only about 1/8" shorter than the Autolites so I hope they give me the room I need. The Accels are 3/4" reach part #0416S. I'll update later after I install these if anyone is interested....
Old 11-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac

Just a thought here. Could it be the combination of the AFR's and the SPL headers? Cause if all you saved with the shorty plugs is 1/8" then it sounds like it won't be enough. Maybe you could modify the tubes a bit to gain clearance or swap headers in the worst case. I'm sure you wouldn't want to dump the AFR's.

I'm running ported 083's and TES headers with no interferance problems at all.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:12 PM

I have put spark plugs in Angle plug AFR Heads with SLP headers. The autolites fit with MSD boots.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by antman89iroc
Just a thought here. Could it be the combination of the AFR's and the SPL headers? Cause if all you saved with the shorty plugs is 1/8" then it sounds like it won't be enough. Maybe you could modify the tubes a bit to gain clearance or swap headers in the worst case. I'm sure you wouldn't want to dump the AFR's.

I'm running ported 083's and TES headers with no interferance problems at all.
The combination definitely needs a short plug. Accel shorty header plugs are far from the only option though. Many of the NGK and Autolite plugs have the same installed length as the Accel shorties and are more readily available at local parts stores.

The real issue is the need for skinny arms and small hands to reach a couple of the plugs around the header tubes. The Driver's side is easy. The Passenger side is a PITA.

My 88 GTA is running the TES headers with AFR heads and while they were easier I still had to run a short plug with those to clear the boots. This one has off the shelf NGK plugs though instead of the Autolite.

3rd Gen Will and I spent some time in the plugs aisle of the local parts store comparing the installed height on a lot of plugs to make the selection based on heat range for each car when it became obvious the Accel's were too difficult to get on short notice and I needed to switch to a more commonly stocked plug. It was a bit surprising to find a lot of plugs were as short or shorter than the Accel shorty header plugs but not listed or billed that way.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by 3rd gen Will
I have put spark plugs in Angle plug AFR Heads with SLP headers. The autolites fit with MSD boots.
Yeah, but you did it the easy time before all the hoses and additional supercharger brackets were in place. This latest set better last a year or two.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:46 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Here is the info on the Accel's: http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/sparkplug...oove_Specs.pdf

I ended up shaving the tips of the plugs since they come apart and denting 2 spots on the header tubes to get some clearance. Got everything done and got it started. I need to adjust the timing but so far it will idle and revs very quick and smooth. Idle is just a little rough but with the cam and stock tune it's better than I thought.
Thanks for all the input. Looks like long tubes are in my future....
Old 11-12-2009, 05:02 PM

Glad you got them in and it's running. I swear Beater and I had the 414 and 416s accel plugs, but whatever accel plug we had they definitely were not 3/4".

What cam are ya running?