Alternative Port EFI Intakes This board is for tech discussions and questions about aftermarket port EFI such as the HSR, MR, SR, BBK, FIRST, etc.

Injector&throttlebody upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 350tpi,HSR, underdrive pulley,tbfb
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi
Injector&throttlebody upgrades

At what point are injector & throttlebody upgrades needed? Currently I have a basicaly stock l98 with a hsr & afpr with a couple bolt ons, but will soon be adding hooker2460 headers and powermax 2032. What other upgrades will be needed to get the most power? Would larger injectors or throttlebody be needed? With an auto trans I'm sure a better torque conv would also be helpful, right? Any advice will be helpful and appreciated.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:13 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
Re: Injector&throttlebody upgrades

u dont have to upgrade the stock 22lb injectors until u hit about 300-350hp. u can increase there output with a ADJFPR and increase the pressure to about 50psi.... that turns a stock 22lb injector to about 24lbs. the stock 48mm TB is also adequate for about 400hp.

to take advantage of your HSR, u need the better exhaust, as well as ported heads or aftermarket heads, as well as a cam to match it. idk the specs on that cam but a good cam for the HSR is the GM hot cam. so say u have the intake done, exhaust and cam that about sums everything up... now wats gona restrict u is the heads. so i would do the heads/cam/exhaust all at the same time. cuz either one will hold u back. but if ur doin the cam u have to do the heads cuz u have everything off already. same goes for the heads... if ur doin the heads u should do the cam cuz u'll have everything off. it will save u money and time in the long run

gears and a converter will also help. depends on ur budget. the cam will determine the stall speed for the converter. and the HSR is a rever so u should upgrade ur 3.27s to a 3.73 to get u in the power band quicker.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:42 PM

Good info on the injectors and throttlebody...I didn't realize they would support that hp.The cam specs are .452 in/.465ex w/1.5 rockers, duration 214/220*, range 1800-5800rpm with valve float at 6400rpm. I was thinking that a 2300-2500 stall torque conv would work good, and plan on upping the rear gears to 3.42 or 3.70, but that'll be a bit down the road.I also plan on heads, probably trick flows, but that will also need to wait awhile for now.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

crane should tell u the stall of the converter. mine is the XFI280 230/236 .571/.570 lift 113lobe and comp calls for a 2300-2400stall. your cam has less duration and low lift. i wouldnt think u would need that high a stall. those lift numbers are pretty low, the 1.6 rockers will help a good bit. but that cam is tiny if u plan on upgrading the heads to trickflows. u will need to stay under .480 lift with the stock heads but the trickflows will like higher lifts to take advantage of the flow rates of the trickflows. if u already have that cam and want to use it with the stock heads thats fine but i would def throw in a larger cam with the trickflows. a mild cam that is nice is the GM hotcam. works great with the HSR and LT1. specs are 218/228 with .525/.525 lift with 1.6r. .495/.495 with 1.5r. your HSR loves to rev so alil more duration wont kill you since it can support it, u could be leaving a good bit of hp in the top end.

my setup is a 383 with patriot 195cc heads, ported HSR and that XFI280 cam. i should be peaking around 5500. HSRs love to flow so u can use more duration cams but u will lose alil power down low.

id say ud be fine with a 2000-2200 stall. my cam is a 2000-6000 rpm range. if u could i would hold off on the cam install etc, return the cam and use the money towards a better cam that will be matched to your heads(trickflows)/intake. will save u money and time in ripping it all down again and paying for gaskets etc. different cam will also call for different converter and maybe rear gears, not to mention injectors. depending on ur Hp output with the setup u want to stick in if your over 300-325hp i would prob use 24lb injectors but if u go with the trickflows and a bigger cam depending on ur HP u might have to get the next step up. better to do it all at once, saves time and money. just my .02
Old 02-26-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 367 Likes on 286 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

It's all about matching parts.

That cam is a nice step up from stock, assuming you're not changing much else. Your stock TPI and heads will work well with it. ...but if you're planning on going with heads, stall and the HSR, you'll want a LOT more cam.

from my own experience, I've found it's tough to swap cams NOW, for parts you're going to add LATER. You're gonna be mismatched now or later, depending on how you choose to do it.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Abubaca
It's all about matching parts.

That cam is a nice step up from stock, assuming you're not changing much else. Your stock TPI and heads will work well with it. ...but if you're planning on going with heads, stall and the HSR, you'll want a LOT more cam.

from my own experience, I've found it's tough to swap cams NOW, for parts you're going to add LATER. You're gonna be mismatched now or later, depending on how you choose to do it.
I already have the HSR w/ AFPR. I got the cam and headers to compliment the HSR, and am mostly unsure when injectors,throttlebody and torque converter where in need of upgrade. I also realize that the heads will be a large restriction, but don't see having the money for that upgrade for some time. My cam choice was based on the thought that they will work well with stock heads, and better with aftermarket and not in hopes of what I'll get later, so if thats a cam that needs better flowing heads than I'll just wait on installing it until I can afford heads.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

you could install the cam and it will work better with the HSR and allow alil more power out of the stock heads. buut to get more out of the HSR/cam i would have the heads atleast ported. throw a couple of hundred maybe like 100-150 a head and u can increase HP by 15- 30hp or so depending on the port job vs a stock casting. since u will have it all apart it would be easier to just throw the aftermarket heads on with a cam matched to the heads/intake. but if its not gona be for a while, i would get the heads ported and not leave my HP on the table then throwing the untouched stockers back on. u will not think twice when u get the motor back together and u making more power than before and u can enjoy that extra power on the street until u get the money together for a better cam and heads. just a thought.

your not gona really use the ability of the HSR with stock heads. ported they will all combined(HSR,cam,ported heads) will make more power than HSR,cam and stock untouched heads. and the exhaust will also help. i just dont see the point in puting the stock heads back on when now is your chance to make alil extra power with them. u could port the heads yourself and save alil more money. nows the time when your taking it all apart. get the heads ported and throw that cam in there. and enjoy it for a few years till u get money for the heads/new cam. u;ll enjoy that extra power from the ported heads when ur driving it on the street the next few years.