Alternative Port EFI Intakes This board is for tech discussions and questions about aftermarket port EFI such as the HSR, MR, SR, BBK, FIRST, etc.

Mini ram = JUNK please read on. . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: A cherry Yugo
Re: Mini ram = JUNK please read on. . .

Just want to add to the above post for clarification, that I did try other things to get the car running right besides the vacuum tests, I have a Innovative WB ,I ran different chips , datalogged what I could with an AutoXray, reset the timing at least 4 times(also found out my balancer hub spun so the timing was extremely off) I do not burn my own chips so I'm not saying a better tune wasn't in order but the bottom line is this intake is flawed and has caused me a major headache like the original poster.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: TPIS II Supercharged w/Nitrous
Transmission: 700R4 Probuilt
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Richmond 12 Bolt

So I might have missed a posting or two. But, If you are 100% sure it is a problem with the TPIS M/R. Why don't you send it back to them and have them recheck it for accuracy. There are alot of people claim that do have problems with the M/R and my best guestimate would be about 95% have just a tuning issue and need to start adding fuel in their AE and VE areas fo the ECM. I am sure if you send it back to them they would make it right and either fix the snafu or resend you a new one. If I even thought mine was bad for 1 second you can bet your bottom dollar it would be on the 1st overnight express back to them. It sounds like you have wasted too much time attempting to diagnose the problem as it is.. Just send it back
Old 08-21-2008, 03:02 PM

Car: A cherry Yugo

Your right instead of crying about it, I should send them in for them to check, thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 w/ 3.55's

I'm done with the bullshit though. I have wasted too much time on this crap to send it in and pay shipping. The fact is, if I had to pay 1200$ for a deffective part, what makes anyone think I would want another one? I am parting my motor out, heads, bottom end and all, and going LS1, end of discussion. I understand that the mini ram can be a great intake, but this is crap. I am working a part time job for now while going to school, and this money could have been WAY better spent. I wasted my entire summer when I could have been driving my car, but now I went out and bought myself a nice brand new Jeep wrangler to let off some steam, and the car is coming apart and getting done RIGHT!

The block may be decked, because as far as I could see, the mini ram was lining up very good on the heads and sat perfectly flush, or it could be the tune, but one thing is for sure.....TPIS needs to get thier **** straight if they want to charge that much for thier products. Thier customer service is great, but that only goes so far for that price. Sorry for the attitude all, but I have had it, and I'm done screwing around. My patience only goes so far. I also want to thank all of you for the tips and extremely useful help in diagnosing this. The third gen croud is awesome, and we all look out for one another. I will be keeping the car, but the motor combo is GOING, and I will have the biggest smile when it's gone!
Old 08-22-2008, 05:44 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

I'm closing this thread now. Before I do I want to point out a few things:

1) The original poster had vac well with the specs for the combo (15 hg). He never had a qualified person work on the tune, even when it was offered by forum members. He instead insisted that it was a vac leak causing the problem.

2) The OP's combo has been done numerous times (miniram, 276 cam, tfs heads). I have one sitting in my driveway. No problems.

3) The OP would rather blame TPIS because he is in over his head and can't figure out what is wrong with his engine.

The resolution? He is throwing in the towel and trying an LS1 swap. Folks please learn from this. If you are not capable of this type of project don't bother starting it. A cam, head, and intake combo requires a lot of tuning and skill to get running properly.

Sinister87 has another problem unrelated to the OP. Sinister has a 1205 Miniram he is trying to make work with 1206 heads. To make matters worse, it appears the heads he is using are "AFR 195 Eliminators" which apear to have TALLER than normal ports, so there seems to not be enough intake material to seal the heads. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with a "defective" intake - the intake is sold to work on 1205 heads. Running it on a 1206 head, especially one with taller than 1206 ports would be considered a "mismatch'.

-- Joe