Alternative Port EFI Intakes This board is for tech discussions and questions about aftermarket port EFI such as the HSR, MR, SR, BBK, FIRST, etc.

LT1 with standard dizzy.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 k5, 94 c1500
Engine: 350, 4.3
Transmission: 700/700
LT1 with standard dizzy.

just throwing out an idea here...i was thinking of putting an LT1 in my K5 blazer. now, i would like to get rid of the optispark, perhaps buy and intake with a dizzy hole in the back, and use the wiring from a TPI car. or perhaps even a megasquirt setup. or is there another option for using something other than optispark? sorry kind of noobish, but i think it could work. ive read all the lt1 intake swap threads, and i assume that some kind of mod is required to the fuel rails to clear the dizzy. am i right here?

thanks in advance.

dont want to be rude, but id rather not run the optispark, due to its front mounting and the fact that this truck will be pretty much trail only with repeated mud and water dunkings, so lets skip the optispark stuff.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 427 Likes on 329 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
You may want to look into the opti delete (coil over valve covers) conversions that they have. They retain the OEM crank trigger which is not suseptible to water damage (so they say). You may be better off running a traditional Gen I motor with a multiport set-up. You could, in the end, basically have the same thing (minus a few unique features of the Gen II).
Old 04-03-2006, 03:39 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Yes
Engine: Many
Transmission: Quite a few
its actually fairly straightforward (if you can fab) to convert an LT1 to a standard igntion, at least, simpler than converting the intake to fit a small block. You need to take a look at the guys that have converted the LT1 intake to a regular smallblock. Bottom line is, you just have to drill a hole, and mount a spacer and a mounting hole for the distributor lock, then drop in a regular small cap HEI and coil. You will lose EGR,becuase you need to notch out some of the casting for clearance. You will still run an LT1 water pump, and you can either leave the opti on there, unconnected, or make a plug that will snap in over the hole in the timing chain cover. Oh, you'll need three shorter bolts in the timing chain cover I think, where the opti used to mount.

You will have to remove the intake to make the mods, and remove the oil pump drive stub that is in the engine.

then you will use a regular TPI harness, with the later model connectors for IAC, TPS, and you can run it on any TPI ecm, 165, 730.

not sure if you need to change the knock sensor (you will only use 1, if the engine has 2)
Old 04-25-2006, 08:14 PM

It would be easier and as beneficial to get a set of Vortec heads and a Scoggin Dickey vortec manifold.