Alternative Port EFI Intakes This board is for tech discussions and questions about aftermarket port EFI such as the HSR, MR, SR, BBK, FIRST, etc.

Best Porting Tool and Porting Qs

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: Future: LSX Turbo
Transmission: built T-56
Best Porting Tool and Porting Qs

Ive searched and found a small bit of information on good porting tools

i know of two tools
a die grinder
and conventional dremel

Now i plan on porting a Super Ram for my GTA at both the manifold and plenum and possibly the runners as well

whats the best thing to do?...use a decent powered dremel i have and buy the attachments for grinding metal? or buy a die grinder and do it a little quicker w/slightly better results i imagine?

also Siamese vs reg Porting??
ive seen some for some against in VERY old post
any updates what do you guys think about this case?...also what exactly is done with siamese porting?

i know it looks diff in pics bc it makes the two holes become one is that all?

all the help comments and info are greatly appreciated PLZ post
Old 09-21-2005, 01:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1997 Corvette
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73 IRS
I used an electric hand drill and a round file. It worked, but took forever, and that was on aluminum. There's no way I'd ever recommend anyone to do it that way, but I had to work with what I had at the time. They turned out alright, flow better than LT4 heads on the exhaust port

Buy some Scotch flap wheels (I think they're "Scotch" or Scottish.....its something flap wheels.). They're a quick easy way to polish the exhaust ports. Seemed to be the easiest way to do it to me anyways.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 GTA, 91 Formula, 89 TTA
Engine: all 225+ RWHP
Transmission: all OD
Axle/Gears: Always the good ones
For the love of ***.

Do yourself the favor and drop a little money.

Get a decent die grinder. Air if you have a real compressor, electric if u dont.

Also snag and assortment of non ferrous bits for working on aluminum, they wont bind and choke as easy. Usually come in 3 and 6 inch shanks and various shaped to suit your needs. Others are avialable but harder to find(unless ordered/harbor freight/matco/etc)

the ferrous bits are for cast iron etc, as are stones.

Use oil to keep everything lubed as you go(the bit) will help clogging quite a bit.

later
Jeremy
Old 09-21-2005, 07:55 AM
Supreme Member

ive read to NOT use stones but to use an electric die grinder with the proper shanks

i have no problem buying a die grinder i just wanted to see if its possible to use your dremel tool

how far do i go down into the holes on the intake manifold? 2" i know its easy to go through the bottom and you have to watch that

also do you suggest like grinding for 5 min then add oil to surface and shank then 5 min more and repeat? whats the method?

forgive me for all the questions but im sure anyone who is gonna do this in the future will have the same ones...i read about porting TPI stock manif after searching but didnt find what i was really looking for

thx for any help anyone can provide i dont want to F up a 400 intake manifold and 800 dollar intake itself
Old 09-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Supreme Member

Hey guys plz click here to see what im pretty set to buy

i need a recommendation though i was thinking of going with the mini die grinder + carbide SC3L and SL-3 + some grinders grease for lubrication

do you think i should go that route or get the two carbides with the die grinder porting kit item 46053 that has some extra stuff?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:51 PM

Car: 91 GTA, 91 Formula, 89 TTA
Engine: all 225+ RWHP
Transmission: all OD
Axle/Gears: Always the good ones
Like I said prior, ferrous bits are for cast iron as well as stones.

Cast iron clueword :-)

Their prices seem a little high to me.

Look for 3 packs of cutting bits and u might find some better deals. Get a little cheaper together.

As far as lubing as u go, I keep oil near me to dip the but into almost continually. If I notice no oil on it I dip it and then proceed. Helps with clogging and keeping temps down on the cutting bit.

Also wear long sleeves and some goggles and be prepared to get really dirty :-)

later
Jeremy
Old 09-23-2005, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS (730,$8D,G3,AP,4K,S_V4)
Engine: 406 Hyd Roller 236/242
Transmission: 700R4 HomeBrew, 2.4K stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi, 7.5 Soon to break
I used a "roto-zip" tool bit on the aluminum and it was very smooth to work with when using the side of the cutter.
Doing anything with the end was difficult without it jumping.
The "burr" types work well too but can give you tons of fine splinters that you'll be picking out for days so be carful in that regard. The rotozip (1/4" & 1/8") worked the best for me and left a better surface in most areas. better control compared to the burr tools IMO.
Was able to elongate the holes in the manifold in about two minutes with it and they came out looking like I milled them.
For $5-6 its worth it to have one on hand to try anyway.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Z69
Supreme Member

wear a hat
The arm thing never bothered me.
Electric is a lot quieter-wear ear plugs for air
Ear plugs are a good idea in general. One for the noise, two you can flip stuff into your ear canal.
I've only recently used an electric, they are so much nicer from the noise stand point. I work nights so I wouldn't have to worry about the neighbors if I owned one.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:14 AM
Banned

Car: 1986 Pontiac TA
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.70
I use a 1/4 hp Makita with a Dremel brand foot pedal. Electric die grinders are serious tools and can get away from you. They work much better plugged in through the foot pedal.

A carbide burr removes aluminum quickly so be sure to keep the grinder moving or you'll grind a divit. I also like to use 1" and 1 1/2" sanding flapper wheels. The conform to the shape and leave a smooth finish.

I normally purchase items through MSCDirect.com or JL Tool Supply.

www.geocities.com/dzperf
Old 09-24-2005, 04:35 AM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
I suggest you look at Harbor Frieght Tools first.
Might save you some money, i bought a whole set of bits for pretty cheap not to long ago from them.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:51 PM

Car: '86 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 Carb.
Transmission: 5-Speed
Great place to buy the burs is Carbidebur.com. I have used them twice and the prices are the best I have seen. I have used the burs for three sets of heads, all cast iron. They have worked with out issue. I have not tried porting alum. yet. They have both kinds of burrs. I had a minor issue with shipping, but called and it was resolved very quickly. happy porting