Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Problems with Thirdgen Resource...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Conv. TA
Engine: Forged 350 with D-1SC
Actually the reson I am looking at this part of the message board was to see if anyone else was having problems.

I wanted to buy a sill plate for my 91' TA.

Took about a month of e-mails just to get it.

When I got it the part was fine, but my VISA reciept was for an amount higher than the copy of the bill. Not much higher, but still it didn't match.

So I e-mailed them about 7 times. No response. I finally asked them why do they want to lose my business?? No response. Guess they got more business than they need. So they don't need you and me.

I also got it resolved through my credit card company. They said they would just eat it. Too bad. Fair is fair. I should be charged what I was intended to be charged and not have to get it resolved at my credit companies loss.

Anyone else have a story???

------------------
Sean

1977 S/E TA
1980 Conv. Turbo TA
1989 TTA
1991 Conv. TA
Old 09-09-2001, 09:30 PM

Well...they still have not resolved my problem. They deny telling me that they said it would definitely fit my car(the dome light cover). Meanwhile I checked out the actual bid page..which is saved on the my ebay page(those of you who use ebay would know)...and it actually states that the piece will fit all 82-92 TA's/GTA's/Firebirds/Camaros. Go figure. They never answer emails. I am getting really pissed...I already told them that they lost some good business...b/c I was planning on buying a set of 4th gen seats from them. They lie to get out of their mistakes....or deny it. But I have to say that they are now trying to fix thier mistake...but yet they cannot get the part I need. They said they will give me back my $$...but the problem is that the light cover was $4.99 and the shipping was $5. I payed for insured shipping to make sure I would get the part..since they said they wouldnt gaurantee that I would get the part(which worried me a little). If they give me back the money...I would still loose $5. The other thing that pissed me off is that they marked the dome light $4 each (on the plastic bag that it was sealed on) meanwhile they started the bid at $4.99. It would have been cheaper for me to just order it through phone then just bid on it. I am pretty unhappy with their customer service. But I guess I will give them a chance...I dont want to be too hard on the...I just hope that they fix all of thier mistakes...and it isnt like they made a few errors here and there...I mean just read all the replies, that should tell them that they must be doing something wrong.

James
Old 09-10-2001, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Z06, WS6
Engine: LS6, LT1
Transmission: M6
Keep this thread going... I love how THIRD-GEN RESOURCE advertises all these parts they have, then after two days of calling, you finally get through only to find they don't have the part. I'm glad sites like Thirdgen.org give people the opportunity to voice opinions as well as hearing others. MAY THE WORTHY PARTS DEALERS SURVIVE... the rest, rest in peace. quit scamming us hard-working third-geners.

[This message has been edited by yellowiroc2 (edited September 10, 2001).]
Old 09-10-2001, 08:53 AM

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: aint got no engine right now
Transmission: need one of those
For those of you who will be at the Food Lion Auto Fair at the Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte, on September 13 to 16 and would like to speak with the folks from Thirdgen Resource, this will be your chance. They will be located in spots NNB083-086. For those that have issues and can make it, they wont be able to dodge you then.
I have been by the shop on two occasions and was not impressed.

Eric
Old 09-12-2001, 11:43 AM

crap i just ordered fog lights from them. althought a woman did call the day afterwards to confirm i had a camaro and not a firebird. *** i hope this doesnt turn into a big mess, w/ college and trying to restore my car this could get ugly. i hope im one of the lucky ones.
Old 09-12-2001, 09:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
My experience:
My car was totalled after it was broken into. The bastards basically trashed the inside, even tried to steel her. Everything was trashed except the dash. I called them up and they got me all setup for replacement parts. I will also say that Stacy was very nice about the whole thing. My only complaint was that they sent me an older radio trim plate. It wasn't any trouble, I just sent it back with a note inside and they sent me the newer style. All in all I like their parts but more organization could go a long way. Lets also keep in mind that they ARE a small buisness but that they almost ALWAYS have a thirdgen part for the cheapest price! They will probably always get my buisness if I need a used piece..

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI!)
91 Red My website
Old 09-20-2001, 12:10 PM

Well... I'm not going to type a bunch of excuses here. I may have some but what I would like to do is OFFER my apologies and OFFER anyone who has had problems in the past or present to call me (Roy) personally. I will make every effort to have your problem corrected. All I'm asking for is a chance to fix what I may or may have not wronged. Call me (Roy) on Friday afternoon's or 10-5 Saturady. Leave a message on the machine or with whoever may answer. I will call you back ASAP! Roy Fender Third Gen Resource 704-398-8855
Old 09-20-2001, 05:24 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thirdgenresource:
Well... I'm not going to type a bunch of excuses here. I may have some but what I would like to do is OFFER my apologies and OFFER anyone who has had problems in the past or present to call me (Roy) personally. I will make every effort to have your problem corrected. All I'm asking for is a chance to fix what I may or may have not wronged. Call me (Roy) on Friday afternoon's or 10-5 Saturady. Leave a message on the machine or with whoever may answer. I will call you back ASAP! Roy Fender Third Gen Resource 704-398-8855</font>
do you think you could fix the hundereds of problems that people have had?. Good luck though. I know I was thinking of gettig a few parts from you guys but after this thread I went to thirdgenparts and got the parts I needed, and they fit perfectly.

I had called/emailed about a A/C condensor and you all wanted 70 bucks?... Whats the deal there, local pick a part had it for 15 bucks...
Old 09-21-2001, 09:54 AM

All I can do is try to resolve the HANDFULL of problems we have had. I assure you that we have thousands of satisfied customers. We had more sales in July and August then ever before. The phone does not stop ringing. My wife works 10 hour days to keep up with everyone's emails, phone calls, orders and shipping. We are a small business. We not out to screw anyone. I want to provide everyone with the best possible service. However, I have come to realize that I can not make everyone happy. I would like to but appearantly I can not. The most frustrating thing is the few that have posted here have not talked to me about the problems they have had. They rather post that they had a problem them then call me. Again, I apologize for any problems.
Old 09-21-2001, 11:04 AM

Car: 1991 T-Top RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
All I have it say is this has been an interesting thread. But I'll probably try them if I need something and see what happens.

------------------
1987 IROC-Z T-Tops wait... GUTTED MAF!
Old 09-25-2001, 01:02 AM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: L03
Transmission: A4
I had a bad order from them, but they fixed it.. I ordered some fog light lenses for my 91 firebird (with the 91-92 style ground effects) .. I specified that I had the newer style, and they sent some to me.. well, the ones I got, I'm assuming, were for a older firebird, because they were a different shape.. I called them and they told me they didn't actually carry the newer ones, and told me to ship them back and they'd eat the shipping as well.. so, they made up for it here.. set me back a couple weeks, since I still don't have the lenses, since I can't find a good place to get them.. but I'm still happy with the service I got..

also, they are a small business.. they don't have many people working.. and I know they attend lots of car shows/events, so I know there's no one there sometimes.. but when one thing goes wrong, tons will follow.. I know how that is.. I would probably give them another chance..

advice for thirdgenresource.. I'd probably look into a little better organization and planning.. make sure you can get definitely get the parts or already have the parts you're advertising.. and possibly double checking orders before they're sent out.. I don't know many people that want beat up parts.. maybe when selling those, contact the buyer before shipment? .. it may take a little time out of your day, but I don't know many people that want bad service fast as opposed to good service that takes a LITTLE longer..

one last thing.. you guys are hiring? hehe how much would you pay me? I'll move the couple hours to deal third gen parts if the price is right.. I've got management experience and some car knowledge.. (just thought I'd try.. my current job is hell)

------------------
1991 Firebird 5.0L TBI
K&N X-stream Open Element Assembly
1.5" Flowtech Headers, 2.5" Y-pipe, Dynomax Super Converter, 2.5" Cat-back Exhaust
Accel Supercoil, Accel 8.8 Wires, Accel Header Plugs

http://home.nc.rr.com/kevin718

[This message has been edited by 91FireChicken (edited September 24, 2001).]
Old 09-25-2001, 08:08 AM

Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: L98 bored .40 (357 ci)
Transmission: Race Ready 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi
I would like to say that I am not picking up for ThirdGen Resource...I am only giving my experience with them. I ordered a drivers side med gray seatbelt assembly for my Iroc. Stacey replied to my email within a day, I ordered over the phone and they were polite and very helpful. I also asked if they could throw in a couple of interior screws with it and she did at no cost..I know that ain't much but she didn't have to. I received the seatbelt just as I ordered and it was in perfect shape, as advertised.

So my experience with them has been positive. If I need something else I will probably give it a shot again.

------------------
1987 Camaro Iroc Z
T-Tops
Maui Medium Blue
350 TPI
TH-700R-4 Tranny

"Better to look at it than to look for it "
Old 09-27-2001, 10:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Iroc Z Convertible
Engine: LB9
I ordered a set of Iroc wheel centeres from them in January, Mid March I called because I had not recieved them yet. I spoke to Stacie and she promptly sent out another set and asked if I ever recieved the original set to send it back. A week later I recieved the set she had just sent, one peculiar thing was that the bill of sale enclosed was made out to some guy in the southern US. I wonder if my original order never got sent out or got sent to someone else. Well I got what I wanted, it took a little time but I saved a ****load of money because Gm wants $45 bux each(Canadian) for these wheel centers up here.I found them very easy to deal with, I was expecting a battle to get this resolved especially since this was an international order and it would be easy for them to blame it on customs up here. I'll try them again .(BTW Roy and Stacie, the original set you sent never showed up, thanx for sending another)
Steve

------------------
1990 Iroc convertible,305 tpi,Black with black leather interior,lowered,Taylor 8mm wires,K&N's
Old 10-01-2001, 08:13 PM

I took Roy up on his offer and sent him an Email. He responded right away and gave me a credit like I requested. I think he is willing to try a little harder now that everyone has his attention.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:12 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 367 Likes on 286 Posts
Car: 2016 Camaro SS + ???
You know what? I don't doubt you guys have had problems. So the 10 or 20 of you unsatisfied customers don't buy there anymore! EVERY business fu%^& stuff up here and there. The thousands of satisfied customers that love thirdgenresource realize they probably did actually screw you guys, accidentaly of course, and we hope that without the 20 of you, thirdgenresource can some how stay in business.
Seriously though, if I got screwed, I'd be pissed too...but Most people have no trouble with them! They'll always have my business!
Old 10-04-2001, 08:08 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Abubaca:
You know what? I don't doubt you guys have had problems. So the 10 or 20 of you unsatisfied customers don't buy there anymore! EVERY business fu%^& stuff up here and there. The thousands of satisfied customers that love thirdgenresource realize they probably did actually screw you guys, accidentaly of course, and we hope that without the 20 of you, thirdgenresource can some how stay in business.
Seriously though, if I got screwed, I'd be pissed too...but Most people have no trouble with them! They'll always have my business!
</font>

well you know what you go ahead and use them. And when you do get scewed you can blame no one but yourself, because you WERE warned here. As I said earlier I asked them about a single part, an A/C Condensor and they wanted WAY more then the local yard wanted. This is the point of this particular section of the board here to warn about suppliers and the such. And I think that more then 10-20 people have had problems but have said nothing so far. And yes I realize that these 10-30 people will not put these people out of bussiness but it will hurt them.
Old 10-04-2001, 08:42 PM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: L03
Transmission: A4
every business has mistakes like this, and if you've ever worked with the customer service numbers in a business, you'd know that MOST of the comments you get about your company will be complaints, afterall, when you get what you expect, why would you think to comment, unless it was something exceptional? it goes the same here, you see all these complaints and hardly anyone pulling for them because that's just the way it goes. it looks like a lot of people got screwed, but if you look at how many customers they have that have had successful transactions, it doesn't even compare.. it's the same for every business, I promise you..

------------------
1991 Firebird 5.0L TBI
K&N X-stream Open Element Assembly
1.5" Flowtech Headers, 2.5" Y-pipe, Dynomax Super Converter, 2.5" Cat-back Exhaust
Accel Supercoil, Accel 8.8 Wires, Accel Header Plugs

http://home.nc.rr.com/kevin718
Old 10-05-2001, 05:22 PM

Several months ago (long before this string got started) I ordered their "special" which was the outer door weatherstrip. They were on special at only about $26 each. I placed the order online, and within 30 minutes I had an order confirmation from Stacey that they filled the order and would be shipped out UPS the next day. It only took 2 more days of waiting and they arrived at my door in perfect shape and fit and size.

Additionally, I have emailed and called them checking on other parts availabilities and prices, and have had nothing but good experiences with them.

I will buy again from them in the future.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-07-2001, 11:01 PM

Car: 87 trans am GTA
Engine: tesla permanent magnet
Transmission: 93 T-56
Axle/Gears: moser 12bolt w/ 3.73
welp... i ordered some stuff from them and recieved an e-mail the nextda saying that my order was going to be processed, i replied regatding the date i could expect them and have yet to hear back , this was about a week ago ....yes ...i am concerned. i understand being understaffed but damn dont leave me in the dark talk to us keep us informed, i dont mind spending a little extra in shipping to get my parts with in a reasonable time frame. the one good thing i 've noticed is that at least you give people there parts, it might take a while though.
hey guys !
i'm sorry for you troubles hopefully i dont have any.

------------------
87GTA ,10.5:1,4-bolt 355,afr 190's, super ram ,stock poerted base,58mmTB,24 lb FMS inj. ed wright chip, .510/230 (nr) 1&5/8 hooker shorty's, flow master single 3", 2800 ameri-torque non lk-up, 3.73. best to date with stk 48mm tb and lack of traction in 1st gear netted me a 12.9 @110mph /91 TA daily driver LB9 A4 2.73
Old 10-18-2001, 09:51 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 87 Formula
Engine: 327
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Well you guys had me scared. I ordered a headliner, then I saw this thread. Took a couple, 3 weeks but I recieved my headliner in good condition. I accidentally ordered medium charcoal instead of light gray but thats my fault. I have to re-do the whole interior anyway think I just might make the color change.

Anyway I'll have to give them a thumbs up so far.
Old 10-19-2001, 05:00 AM
Banned

Car: 86 IROC-Z
Engine: 406
and everyone here wonders why all the vendors dont respond to message boards?!?!?
Old 10-22-2001, 05:11 PM

Not really replying, just seeing if my updated signature works. Oh, and EBAY is WAY better than that, and that's not saying much.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:17 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
I have had 2 orders from them. The first was fine, I orderd an Alum Driveshaft, and something else, both were as advertised. The driveshaft needed new U Joints AS Advertised....

The second was ok, I had some hard top consoles and I traded them for a T-top version and some cloth covered speaker grills from a T/A.

I cant really complain about any of it. It took them a week or two to get it to me. I work for a small company and understand what it is like.

John
Old 10-28-2001, 08:23 PM

Car: '89 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 7.5 disc posi 3.23
Well here is another testement to the pool. I ordered a headliner as well for my 89 Formula hardtop wich has a black interior. So far no problem. I told them I wanted a black hardtop ABS headliner uncovered. What was shipped to me was a T-Top headliner with no material at all except a few scraps holding it closed. I thought, Ok no problem an honest mistake, Right. WRONG!!! It seems that when I ordered my headliner it was charged twice and one had to be cancelled. It seem that the wrong one was cancelled. I E-Mailed Stacey (Roy's Wife). She said that that was the one I ordered! I asked her why I would order a T-Top headliner for a hard top car?? She said She didn't know why I would order that but thats what I ordered!! We went back and forth like this for awhile. Then I found my reciept for the order. Stacey even wrote on it that she was sorry for the mistake of charging two headliners and credited it back to me. I had to quote the reciept to her word for word so she would believe me. What ever happened to "The Customer Is Always Right"??? I have not recieved an E-Mail in 4 days since than. Soundslike someone is choking on the truth I don't like beeing made out to be a liar or idiot.I think Year One Next Generation. Is going to get more business if this is not fixed quickly!!!!

Talk to ya soon Roy.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to Thirdgenresource:

A comment regarding Jim83TA's dome light lens issue:

The ONLY proper response to this issue is to refund Jim's entire $10 expense...both his $5 purchase price, and your overinflated $5 shipping fee. If you want the old lens back, you should pay for the return shipping as well.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:36 PM

Car: 2000 WS6 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7L LS1 (346 cid)
Transmission: 4L60-E
I had a very good experience with thirdgenresource lately. My father-in-law bought a 1989 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am las summer. The car did not have its sun shades for the T-tops. He called Stacie and ordered a set of new shades.

They shipped from the factory in California just when they said they would, and to our dismay they did not arrive. I told him that I would follow up with thirdgenresource. I called Stacie and she gave me the tracking number from UPS.

When I contacted UPS, they told me that the package had been delivered to the back porch. Hmmm. Dave has only a stoop in the back, but a HUGE covered front porch! He lives on a Rural Route in central Pennsylvania. I called Stacie back to verify the address it had been shipped to. It was correct. She told me if I had problems with UPS that she would start pestering them from her end. I told her to give me a day or two.

It turns out that the UPS driver was dislexic and delivered it to the wrong house. The Guy's dad is a gearhead and the son figured he had a part shipped to his house, and it took a week to figure out the delivery was incorrect. By the time I started calling, a return pick-up order had been made. With Stacie's help we were able to get it stopped at the local UPS facility and delivered correctly to Dave.

Cudos to thirdgenresource. And by the way, the shades are absolutely perfect!

------------------
BIRDS:
2000 WS6 Trans Am (LS1)
1987 Firebird (2.8L)
1979 Trans Am (403 Olds)

OTHERS:
1998 Grand Prix GT (3800 Series II)
1997 Olds Bravada (4.3L)
Old 12-02-2001, 05:39 PM
Supreme Member

The Biggest Problem seems to be ordering online......almost everyone who calles get what they want and quicker.