Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

AS&M

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:31 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350, TTA
AS&M

I dunno... they might be shady. or it could be just my bad luck. here is what's been going on.

in 2011 I bought AS&M Large Tube TPI Runners for my Formula. a few months later I bought another set of gaskets after removing the runners for powder coating. a few weeks ago, I got ahold of an old TPI plenum that I want to practice porting, then I will port the existing plenum on the car. for that purpose, on March 1st or 3rd - somewhere in there, I ordered yet another set of TPI Runner gaskets from AS&M. the cost is $28 ($38.70 shipped.)

I was told that the gaskets would take 3-4 days to arrive. after about a week and not receiving the gaskets, I called Jim back. he said that by some mishap they did not ship. he recited my credit card information from the card that I had used to purchase the Runners and gaskets in the past, which was not the same card I had used a few days ago. I said that that wasn't the right card, and he asked me to give him the info on the other card, and was about to charge me again, and I said to hold on a minute while I check my online bank records because I was sure that I had already paid for the part when I originally placed the order a few days ago. and when I said that, Jim was like, "oh, here it is, yeah."

so the gaskets did arrive when he said they would, which was last Wednesday. today, I was checking my bank statement to see about a landscaping budget, and it shows a purchase on 3/10, the day I called and had the order re-done, for $642.55 to Arizona Speed and Marine. and, on top of that, a withdrawal for the 38.70 on 3/11. of course, the bank is closed today, so I wont be able to talk to them until Monday.

I did call AS&M, and spoke to Jim. I didn't call "hot under the collar" but definitely pretty "matter of fact" and "this needs to be fixed." and this is due to the fact that this is already strike 3 with this order (and its a DOOZEY.) first, they don't ship my order. then, he/they try to double charge me when I call in about the order that didn't ship, and strike three: a mystery charge of over six hundred dollars. not to mention that Jim was not at all apologetic, but rather fed off of my frustration to be overtly passive aggressive with little quips like:

Jim:...."we don't show any charge for that amount. unless somebody accidently billed your card for someone else's order."

Me: "yeah...that's the kind of thing that shouldn't happen."

Jim: "well, mistakes do happen. I guess you've never made one of those."

Me: "well, yeah, but first my order doesn't ship, then you guys almost-

Jim: "I guess we cant get anything right."

Me: "on this particular order, no."

Jim: I gotta look into it - i'll call you back *click*

point is, from the minute he was unable to refer to the most recent transaction history when I had to re-make the order, and now, an accidental ghost charge of over 600 bucks - whether its fraud or incompetence, I don't know if I trust AS&M with my credit card information.

or maybe its just bad luck and I'm always that one guy...
Old 03-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1971 Camaro
Engine: 427
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: AS&M

Thats rediculous. An incorrect charge of such a large amount could cause you serious issues.

Jim abvously does not care about his customers.

Interested to hear the outcome.

The fact that he had your card from 2011 on file still is concerning as well.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:10 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Well, within minutes of posting this thread, i recieved a voicemail from Joan at AS&M stating that she had in fact mistakenly applied another customer's order to my card. She said that the reimbursement had been processed and i should see it in my account.

I'll give it til Monday since my bank is closed.

Assuming that the reimbursement goes through promptly, then at least they fixed the problem without any real hassle.

When I told Jim that this is something that cant happen - well, it can happen, but you cant let something like this happen on the same order that you foget to ship, and then made the customer feel uneasy by almost double charging for the order when he calls and finds out it wasnt shipped.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 310ci (LB9)
Transmission: Custom Rebuilt 700R4 - 2600 Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Eaton Limited-Slip

I have their runners and they're great, but got them used, so never had to deal with the customer service, but it sounds like they need to get their act together.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:16 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

A crappy mistake, but I've bought from them a number of times too, no problems previously... also remember, you can call your bank / credit card and put an item on dispute, you will get the funds back usually immediately until case is resolved (in your favor).

Hopefully it didn't mess up your financing... I just got back from Target, they double charged me for a $17 item, nothing near $600, but still a pain to deal with...

Rafael
Old 03-17-2014, 03:57 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

checked my account. the refund did not go thru yet, so i called the bank and gave them the chronology of events and they said that it was too soon, and that the refund could take up to a week. so, i'll give it a few more days.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1971 Camaro
Engine: 427
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Yep, hope you weren't depending on that money for anything else. It will be in bank limbo for a good week.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.42

In most instances; the merchant processors really frown on holding onto CC account numbers, and almost never will allow them to keep the 3 digit number from the back. About he only time this information can be retained is if it is for a recurring billing. And in those cases the large processors keep that information and not the merchants themselves.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:53 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

got my money back. i just checked it today, but i think it went through the same day or the day after i called the bank.

as for the old credit card, i dont know if he had the 3-digit security code, but he had the 16-digit credit card number. good info, though. thanks.