Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Spohn Performance terrible customer service.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 7.5 disc posi 3.23
Spohn Performance terrible customer service.

About a year ago I bought a Spohn Coil Over kit #737. I am just now getting around to putting it on. I was reopening all the boxes and taking inventory when I noticed I was missing two flat washers about 3" in diameter and 1/4" thick roughly. Now it is possible that I lost them the first time. So I call Spohn and talk to Dan. I explain the situation. He says he can get the missing pieces no problem. Good so far! Then he tells me these spacers are about $5 a piece. About now I would have expected them to just send me a couple but I understand they are not in the business of giving stuff away. Ok no biggie. So then I'm told after shipping and taxes it's $15. HOLY GOD!! $15 for two spacers from an almost $600 kit?? I don't have time to source replacements so I had to do it.
Again I'm not sure if they were missing in the beginning or not and I was hoping to get a break here on these somewhat insignificant parts that probably cost about .50 to make when I paid $600 plus with them last year.

I had a similar situation with BMR a month ago. I was missing some hardware on a K member bought at the same time last year. Kyle over at BMR sent me an entire hardware kit at absolutely no cost to me!! That is what I call great customer service, and guess who I'm buying the rest of my suspension parts from??? You guessed it!!!
Old 02-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56
Re: Spohn Performance terrible customer service.

it's nice some places will chip in on parts. that go missing. but try to understand. that
it all adds up $$

im sure if your had been missing parts when the kit came it. you would have called them at that time.. going a year then missing parts...why should they pump out cash for somthing you lost...it would have been nice ..yes...but come on...

(by the way...i have a shop full of parts.over $40.000+ for this new upgrade.. i have opend ea and every box over the last 3 years.as they come in. check.. resealed the box. and stack it with others...)

and i just moved to a bigger house and work shop.....good thing the GF. marked boxes...she can dig up just about any bolt/part..im looking for..(not kidding) blood hound sorta stuff!.
in the move. i found stuff i miss placed....verry cool!

on a side note: i picked up a spohn K member new from hawks..(guy did not need it anymore) last min went to a LS eng.
i called spohn.. and they sent me the bolt kit for free..they even paid shipping on it...
so go's to show ya...right time right place....go fig

so cut then some slack.....shipping cost sucks
(i feel your pain..under 14OZ can go first class mail=3 days in the U.S. under $3)
just paid for another 10 larg drag race banners to hang on walls of the new man cave. banners $200 shipping$25
still cheaper then drywall and paint.

Last edited by articwhiteZ; 02-11-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:36 PM

I understand that giving away parts will add up. I'm not saying they should give stuff away. However $5 for a .50 part plus taxes on a mail order sale plus another $5 in shipping is kinda stupid for someone looking for missing parts on a kit you already made a bunch of money on. I can see if I was looking to buy these out of the blue without having a prior relationship.

The thing is that BMR gave me a break on parts more expensive and Spohn didn't. So I'm buying from BMR from now on.
Maybe Spohns customer service isn't terrible but then BMRs customer service is vastly superior in my opinion. So maybe I should just write a different review for how much better Bmr is than Spohn.

Thanks for the idea!!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 126 Likes on 102 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

Did you try your local hardware store?

Most will stock buckets of various size washers/spacers/etc that you can pick out of.

I understand you already purchased it, just food for thought if it happens again.

Also $5 postage sounds about right for a pair of 3"x1/4" steel washers (it's a weight issue).
Old 02-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: '89 RS, '89 Iroc
Engine: L03, LB9
Transmission: 700r4, T5
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 3.08

i think what is missing is the back and forth between you and spohn to justify the "terrible" part of the review

did you question the cost or just accept it?

the review leads readers to believe spohn did exactly as asked, and sent out replacements, but it was at your cost, which was stated as not an issue, the issue being the total paid for two spacers

I agree completely that the price seems to be inflated
Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 IROC
Engine: 6.2L
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by FIRECHICKEN
I understand that giving away parts will add up. I'm not saying they should give stuff away. However $5 for a .50 part plus taxes on a mail order sale plus another $5 in shipping is kinda stupid for someone looking for missing parts on a kit you already made a bunch of money on. I can see if I was looking to buy these out of the blue without having a prior relationship.

The thing is that BMR gave me a break on parts more expensive and Spohn didn't. So I'm buying from BMR from now on.
Maybe Spohns customer service isn't terrible but then BMRs customer service is vastly superior in my opinion. So maybe I should just write a different review for how much better Bmr is than Spohn.

Thanks for the idea!!
I would bet you wouldn't find a washer that big at a hardware store and would have to go somewhere that deals with fasteners. If you thought $5 each was high, I wouldn't be surprised if they were even more.

Blame USPS for the shipping cost. I don't think it is fair to come on here and say Spohn has terrible customer service. You are lucky they will sell you individual parts out of a kit to begin with.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:23 PM

Car: '91 Camaro
Engine: LSx
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: posi

SO did you ever get the washers you bought ?
Old 02-12-2014, 04:42 PM

I tried to find washers big and heavy snout but no hardware store carries 3" dieter by like 3/16" thick.

The washers are supposedly on the way.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:46 PM

Ok now it gets better!!! I literally just received the package from Spohn. Pretty quick shipping USPS priority. Now it gets bad!! I open the box filled with confetti paper shredding which half of is currently on my floor. Thanks for that!!!
Now I get to the spacers and low and behold they are WRONG!!! They sent me the super thin bearing races that sandwich the bearings that the spring rides on. I specifically told the guy I needed the thicker washers/spacers that go between the spring and the strut mount. I should have guessed since he didn't even ask me for an application or a part number that he probably didn't know what he was doing. Of course they are now closed so I had to leave a message.
Holy god!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:48 PM

Car: '91 Camaro
Engine: LSx
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: posi

wow I would call them in the am and start over.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:38 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

also check with that place called Speed Way motors
they sell alot of the same small parts (coil over parts) for less then Half!
bump stops. and stuff. pays to shop!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

lost as to what these pieces are. I had this kit years ago and there were no thick washers for that location. they just used the thrust washer/torrington bearing assemblies.

as far as replacements. go on mcmastercarr and look up large diameter flat washers. they have just about every size imaginable. Probably be faster and cheaper too.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn

Yet another Spohn fail....

Firechicken - hope you get this resolved soon GL.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:24 PM

Car: 1992 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7 L98
Transmission: 700R4

Here' another post to this thread. I was planning on purchasing an item or two from Spohn. I sent them an email with a link to this post. I told them they are getting some bad press and perhaps would like to defend themselves. Never returned my e-mail and sure didnt comment here. Needless to say won't be buying from them.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Kat
Supreme Member

Car: Camaro Vert
Engine: 355 HSR
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 S60

Originally Posted by PAFORM350
Here' another post to this thread. I was planning on purchasing an item or two from Spohn. I sent them an email with a link to this post. I told them they are getting some bad press and perhaps would like to defend themselves. Never returned my e-mail and sure didnt comment here. Needless to say won't be buying from them.
I don't blame them. I wouldn't waste my time on a post where the OP was demanding parts that aren't included in the kit or has prolly lost in the YEAR he took to put a kit on without checking all the parts were there. A lot can happen in a year.

As far as I know Spohn hasn't changed the parts in the kit since I got mine 8 years ago. There are some 3" wide, .250 dia. And about .025 thick Washers that go on either side of the Torrington bearings and that's it. If the OP is talking about them, the there should have been 8 in the kit. If he is thinking that they are .250 in height. Well. The OP is wrong. The thin ones are what get sandwich between the spring, bearing and strut mount.

Look at the pic attached and you'll see what I mean.

Attached Thumbnails Spohn Performance terrible customer service.-image.jpg  

Last edited by Kat; 04-20-2014 at 08:22 PM.