Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

never dealing with hawks thirdgen again

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:51 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 6.2L
Transmission: Stage III T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73
never dealing with hawks thirdgen again

I called to order a mufflex 3.5 system with spintech mufflers. I stated I wanted the 9000 series mufflers and they said they could make that happen though online it shows they offer different spintech mufflers.

"Kyle" said he would call me back, he needed to call spintech. He never did that day. So 2-3 hrs later I called them. The girl that answers the phone says "he's busy right now but he will call you back before close of buisness". No call before COB

Next day..no call, so I emailed them about all of this

Next day, no phone call...no response to my email

Today- ordered a system from a different company(s). Spent over $600this doesn't even include the interior piece I had told Hawks I needed which they charge $169.99 fori have yet to buy that and will buy from a junk yard or another company

I'm guessing Hawks is just too "big time" for a little ol cheapy customer like me
Old 09-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Car: 1983 BB 1995 Z28 Camaro's
Engine: 454-350
Transmission: TH350-4l60e
Axle/Gears: 373 posi-Stock
Re: never dealing with hawks thirdgen again

Blackgloves I thought I was the no name cheap customer that never gets e-mail back from anybody. Nice to meet you.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:36 PM

Edward, the true irony is Kyle mentioned me ordering what I wanted "online". I explained to him I'd rather do it via phone due to me only using my phone for internet usage. If they can't go through with promises to return calls to finish a oorder. Or answer a email...would I really put all my CC info via online order? Good lord!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 310ci (LB9)
Transmission: Custom Rebuilt 700R4 - 2600 Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Eaton Limited-Slip

They're usually on the ball.. Try calling again..Emails are always a toss up because of junk mail filters and probably tons of other emails they have to sort through daily.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350 5.7
Transmission: 700r4

I bought a sphon torque arm/crossmember +transmission mount from them and a panhard bar bushing before that, never had a problem....then again nothing was a special order item either. Good luck, im interested to see how this pans out if they're C.S. is that bad I may consider further business elsewhere.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:52 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA, 2004 Z06, 2008 Expedition
Engine: L98, LS3, 5.4L
Transmission: 700R4, MN6, Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23, 3.42, ?

Before you blow these guys out, give them a call back and talk to Steve. He is a great guy and has taken care of me several times. Granted I spent a ton of money with them in the last year and will be ordering more things soon. They take great care of me. Regarding the emails, they get a ton of them I am guessing because sometimes it does take a day or 2 to get back to me and there are junk mail folders that emails can sometimes filter into. I cannot speak for other's experiences but as far as myself and a couple other people I know, they have been great. I even have Bruce working on sourcing parts for my SLP T-RAM system as we speak.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 w/ 3.55's

I gotta say, while Hawks prices are a bit higher than average, they just got me out of a bind. A place I was going to order fuel injectors from suddenly didn't have them in stock. I'm on the east coast and I was ordering the injectors yesterday and desperately needed them for the weekend. I called up Hawks, and the girl I spoke to said they were in stock and she even got them shipped that day for me so that I'd have them for the weekend, even though she told me that usually they would have shipped the next day. Tracking number says they'll be here tomorrow. I have ordered from them in the past as well and have no complaints, other than pricing as I mentioned before.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

I just ordered from them and was happy with their service. They made a mistake in what they had shipped and corrected the problem right away. The repro parts I got from them look good too.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:39 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 91 RS/ 99 T/A/ 72 Vette/ 02 Z28
Engine: LSx/ Dart400
Transmission: M6/ M6/ TH400/ 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 4.10's / 3.08/ 2.73

I've purchased from Hawks since 2002 when I wanted stuff for my RS. They have been consistantly good. Everyone drops the ball on occassion. I would follow up as others mentioned. Only issue I've ever had was dealing with rude person on the phone several four years ago and she's long gone.

Most recently just a few months ago, I purchased 4th Gen T/A seats, a spare rim, pull down hatch motor, plastic weather strips for the T-tops and rubber molding for the windows. I'm happy with all of the items and with Hawk's customer service.

I will happily purchase additional items from Hawks. Bruce is A+
Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 PM

Car: 91 rs
Engine: Carbed 355 CR 9:1 xr276 cam
Transmission: 700r4 2600 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I just recently made a purchase from Hawk's. I noticed that my order was marked awaiting shipment for some period of time. I sent an email to Hawk's in an effort to get an order status and never received a reply. I called there customer service department 3 days after the email and spoke with a representative. The representative told me they would call me back after they checked with the manufacturer of the product.

Hawk's never returned my call or email. Hopefully I have no issues with the product because I can't imagine how their customer service must be after the sale if thats how they operate prior to the sale.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:37 PM

I've had great success with hawks over the years. Like others have said, their pricing on certain (most) items is a little step but their service is awesome
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 IROC Z28
Engine: 357 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

You're afraid to put credit card info on the Internet? People do it, I do it all the time, although most of my online payments are through PayPal. I never had any problems. Oh and PayPal guarantees satisfaction or your money will be refunded. I've never bought anything from Hawks although a friend just bought a center console lid from them and it was first class.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

We supply Hawk's with a lot of parts. Every once in awhile a Hawk's customer will have a problem with a UMI part. I've seen firsthand how much care they (Hawk's) put into making things right, even for a low priced part or a first time customer. Thumbs up to Hawk's.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

I'm still fighting the 2nd POS spoiler I got from them. 1st one is a warped POS, had it sent to my container guy..so for the 2nd I had to fork over another couple hundred for the trip straight to me. It's straight but the studs are all in the wrong place. So to fix it, I have to move the studs so I can still access them from the plugs in the rear lid. Nice!!! I'll just make this one work...too much of a headache.

I also was about to order a bunch of stuff from them (shocks, strut mounts, rear girdle cover, tubular k member & arms.. and so on) and they didn't list the studs for the cover (option for rear end main caps), they never got back to me... I took my business elsewhere after waiting for a while... over a pack of what, 20$ studs???

Everything I bought from them via ebay however was A ok!! Weird!

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 10-03-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt

I have been buying from HAWKS for over a decade and never had an issue. Sometimes small stuff sometimes big, customer service was always great. I wouldn't say they are "too big time" to care about you, if anything the opposite just a few folks trying to run a business in the green. If it is a custom order part he could very well be waiting to hear back from the supplier as to weither or not they can get it for you. It is not like he took your money and then didn't deliver.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 IROC Z28
Engine: 357 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

Got my front spoiler at Classic Industries and it fits and looks perfect.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 87 Formula 350,11.65@122
Engine: 383,AFR Comp 195,XFI280,SRam/Mram
Transmission: T-56 Magnum-F
Axle/Gears: DANA 44 with 3.92

Sounds like Hawk's may get ther rear spoilers from the same place as Young's F-Body. The one I purchased from Young's was as you say a total POS! That purchase and return ended up costing me about $280. They sent me garbage which cost me $100 after spending time getting est. to repair it and have it fitted correctly to my 87' Formula. Returned the POS which they told me they would pay the return shipping. Well they did not! They refused to pay R&L shipping so guess who ended up paying $180. It's funny how they market the spoiler as better than the original will not crack or warp. What a friggin load of crap! I found a body guy who fixed my original.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '83 Sport Coupe
Engine: 360
Transmission: TKO-500
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.73 TrueTrac

I was slightly irked by both my transactions with Hawks... The first was a Pro 5.0 shifter that had a mustang shifter rod installed on it rather than the Camaro-Firebird rod that is at a different angle. I sent them an email with a picture and called them, and was told "no one has ever had a problem, nothing we can do"

A few months ago I ordered their wheel spacer/adapters, seeing they had the machined centering rings, rather than allowing the load to be taken entirely by the wheel studs like most of the cheap ones. What I received was ebay bulk quality adapters with no centering rings, and mixed size lug nuts. I didn't bother to complain.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: LS2
Transmission: 4L65E
Axle/Gears: MW 3.42 12 Bolt

I bought complete LS7 exhaust - "FIT LIKE A GLOVE," wire harness - "PLUG & PLAY," engine mounts, trans mount, AC fittings, CAI, BMR trakpak, & incidentals.
Y-pipe fitment was/is terrible. Bruce spent much time trying to figure out. Tow & shop cost to fit - $80 + $300. Still not satisfied.
Wire harness atrocious. Many hours spent here, too. Bruce & his wiring guy spent hours figuring out and advising me to spice here & there. On the dyno - 2 1/2 hrs chasing short (cyl #8 wire pulling out, too short) @ $85/hr when on the dyno. Plus, 45 min chasing why fans won't come on - Hawk's never put the fuse in the Bussman box. Asked Bruce for $200 back on the harness for the multiple problems and costs. He did refund that. On that phone call, I asked if he was still going to make good on the AC fittings - that the refund was not closing out the account and all the probs mine, now. "Of course, I'll see that you get the correct parts you paid for." Never have, all communication is disregarded.
Bruce spent a lot of time with me, but it should not have happened according to "plug & play," and "fit like a glove." Bruce is a decent guy, but they caused so many problems with me, that they just got rid of me for practical business reasons (other customers needing attention, profit concerns, etc.). It's not a good talking point if so much time spent with customer is the result of their incompetence. FYI - Bruce said they re-vamped their wiring dept. so future customers shouldn't experience what I did.

Even after all this, I might have purchased a wing from them, but the false promise to correct the AC and the ignoring of all further communication leaves a very bad taste. I'm trying to be fair & things do go wrong, but I have little tolerance for false promises.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1987 TransAm Ttop
Engine: 2005 LQ4
Transmission: Ls1 T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Granted no company on earth is perfect and cant say there wont be hiccups now and then.Ive dealt with Hawks a few times,my biggest order I made when I first did my ls swap had missing parts when I got it.I did email but got no response but a quick call had it shipped out the next day.Ive spoken to Bruce on the phone when the 2inch ls swap headers came out about doing an initial group purchase..we had a long convo and he is a good guy.I own a business aswell and understand that trying to revamp the entire place to be more efficient and keep customer issues to a minimum is alot to do in a short time period.If you have a problem or major concern..you have to call and speak with one of the big boys..keep trying because anyone of us has soo much time in the day ..its easy to lose track of all the things that needed to be done yesterday.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 PM
COTM Editor
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 91/89/85/82 Z28s, 88 TA, 88/88 SC
Engine: SBC and LS variations

i buy a lot of items from Hawks for my projects. Over the years i have always been impressed by the effort that Bruce and BJ put into their business and the effort they go to.

i like to do a lot of different things on my projects and they always take the time to consider my interests and what will work out best including doing some special order one off items, etc

personally i like working with people who treat you like a friend and partner and even though i have never formally met them that is how i feel dealing with them.

Also I realize that even though i try and do a great job where i work i still make mistakes so i figure every one else occasionally has trouble too... a good partner works with you if there is an issue and in my experience Hawk's truly does that
Old 10-23-2012, 07:51 AM

Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: '96 T56, Hurst Shifter, Mech VSS
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

I have bought a ton from hawks as well and and never had any problems. I will agree they are crazy high on lots of their parts though. Last winter I bought a set of Camber/caster plates that were umi brand but hawks sold them. I had that dreaded bearing rattle problem (many threads around here about that problem), I called and emailed hawks and explained that over the years I had bought a lot from them and probably would be buying more if they fixed this problem, they called umi, got the bearing assembly and sent it to me within a few days.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: LS2
Transmission: 4L65E
Axle/Gears: MW 3.42 12 Bolt

Originally Posted by 86White_T/A305
If you have a problem or major concern..you have to call and speak with one of the big boys...
Bigger than Bruce Almighty??...sorry a little sarcasm is justified, here.

I was a problem customer, because he created the problems. Then, it was easier for him to leave me with ill-fitting parts, wrong parts, and wiring that should have never left his shop for his cost reasons.
Granted things do go wrong (I make mistakes, too), I can re-work with that even at the cost of my time (not more of my money; wait, they are the same thing). When I am promised to get the right parts that I paid for, and then all communication stops - How does one work with that? What is there to work with?
I do admit that I am very sensitive to false promises; but business is based upon trust. I did not order a cup-holder from him - the xhaust system & harness are high profit items for him. I put a lot of "In God We Trust" into his business.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 89 IROC/89 Vert/87 Vert/89 GTA Vert
Engine: 5.7/5.0/5.0/5.7
Axle/Gears: 9" 2.77/9" 3:23/9" 3:42

I have ordered once from them. I ordered via the website. I "ordered" 3 items, (2 I wanted and the third was some small screws to fix my window sweeps because shipping them would have just been incuded in the deal, they were all showing they had stock. It was my first order and usually I start low to see what kind of service I get. When I saw the charge on my card it was low (but strange number). Two items were backordered when the order showed up - 1 pack of screws and two other items were B/O. I called and talked to some "girl". She told me that the other items are "by availability and when they have them the are available. Well, it didn't say that on the website, it showed stock. I then asked why didn't they call, email or any contact whatsoever before sending out a package of screws. She told me that my order was very small and my buisness was not helping them. I was NOT happy at all. I was downright pissed. So I sent an email - bruce did respond and did refund back the high shipping (like $7+) for $1.00 worth of screws.
I am thinking this is his daughter who could be the one I talked to. I will not buy off their website and I will not deal with anyone there but Bruce. I do go to TGR first to buy my stuff. I have never had any issues with him let alone some little girl telling my my business doesn't matter.... I have spent a few grand now on parts but not with the little customer service girl who thinks she is all the matters. Get rid of her, maybe get some better service???
Old 10-23-2012, 02:59 PM

Car: '91 Firebird

I've never had any problem with Hawk's that wasn't quickly resolved.

Earlier this year I ordered their stainless steel t-top bar. I received it quickly, but the top had what looked to be a fingerprint smudge in the powdercoating. I sent a picture of the issue to them and they paid for a return label the next day and sent out the replacement before the original was even picked up.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Premium Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by blackgloves
I called to order a mufflex 3.5 system with spintech mufflers. I stated I wanted the 9000 series mufflers and they said they could make that happen though online it shows they offer different spintech mufflers.

"Kyle" said he would call me back, he needed to call spintech. He never did that day. So 2-3 hrs later I called them. The girl that answers the phone says "he's busy right now but he will call you back before close of buisness". No call before COB

Next day..no call, so I emailed them about all of this

Next day, no phone call...no response to my email

Today- ordered a system from a different company(s). Spent over $600this doesn't even include the interior piece I had told Hawks I needed which they charge $169.99 fori have yet to buy that and will buy from a junk yard or another company

I'm guessing Hawks is just too "big time" for a little ol cheapy customer like me

Hi,
I saw your thread today and I wanted to personally let you know I spoke with Kyle and he remembered you called and stated you had called you back and to discuss what our manufacture which is Mufflex can and cannot do , there was no answer he said and left a message for you , which I assume you never got . I assure you as the owner of the company EVERYONE here works hard to keep all customers happy. Obviously in this case we did not but I want you to know its not we did not care or want your business we assumed you would call back , maybe we should have tried calling you more than once or Kyle possibly wrote the # down wrong, who knows , in any event I want you to know personally you and all customer matter to us but sometimes it is VERY hard to follow up with customers multiple times
I hope you understand where we are coming from and that is was not intentional and I understand that we lost business because we did not take care of your needs and for that I am sorry. I hope you will consider us again in the future and feel free to contact me personally at my email bruce@hawksthirdgenparts.com and I will do my best to help you 100%
Sincerely,
Bruce Hawkins
www.hawksthirdgenparts.com
Old 10-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

Originally Posted by Faded
I've never had any problem with Hawk's that wasn't quickly resolved.

Earlier this year I ordered their stainless steel t-top bar. I received it quickly, but the top had what looked to be a fingerprint smudge in the powdercoating. I sent a picture of the issue to them and they paid for a return label the next day and sent out the replacement before the original was even picked up.
I had a similar experience - I received the wrong part. I called a few times, and then got an email from BJ. He sent out a return label with the correct part. I was satisfied with the outcome and the repro part I received was top notch. I guess there will never be 100% satisfaction with every vendor, but they did make the situation right in this case. They are also reproducing parts that were previously unavailable.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:36 PM

I have had good experiences with Hawks over the years - better experiences than with my local wrecking yards.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by hawksthirdgen
Hi,
I saw your thread today and I wanted to personally let you know I spoke with Kyle and he remembered you called and stated you had called you back and to discuss what our manufacture which is Mufflex can and cannot do , there was no answer he said and left a message for you , which I assume you never got . I assure you as the owner of the company EVERYONE here works hard to keep all customers happy. Obviously in this case we did not but I want you to know its not we did not care or want your business we assumed you would call back , maybe we should have tried calling you more than once or Kyle possibly wrote the # down wrong, who knows , in any event I want you to know personally you and all customer matter to us but sometimes it is VERY hard to follow up with customers multiple times
I hope you understand where we are coming from and that is was not intentional and I understand that we lost business because we did not take care of your needs and for that I am sorry. I hope you will consider us again in the future and feel free to contact me personally at my email bruce@hawksthirdgenparts.com and I will do my best to help you 100%
Sincerely,
Bruce Hawkins
www.hawksthirdgenparts.com
I never got the message because he never called. How do I know this? Because I have never set up my voice mail. My phone stays on me for work related purposes. I have never got a call and it not show up on my phone. Tell "Kyle" to look in the mirror