Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

opinions on crate engine builders

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 camaro rs
Engine: 5.0L 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
opinions on crate engine builders

Hey guys i need some advice after doing some searches. I originally had plans to go with this blueprint engine after i get back from my deloyment next year, http://www.blueprintengines.com/inde...83-bp38313ctc1 its a 383 with aluminum heads and roller cam, 430 hp & 450 lb.tq. This is what i want roughly parts and performance wise. Im just wondering whats some other good builders after reading some bad reviews about bp not wanting to cover their warranties. Also im not looking to have a local shop build me one. Main reason for that is im not from this area, Norfolk, VA, and with the largest naval base in the world being here every business here thanks were made of money and believes their work is worth gold, They like screwing us over. So i hope yall can help, Thanks
Old 02-12-2012, 01:49 PM
TA
Supreme Member

Car: '88 GTA, 90 Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI, fed growth hormones
Transmission: 700r4 4u2?
Axle/Gears: 9bolt
Re: opinions on crate engine builders

First, thank you for your service.

You really need to give us more info. What are you going to be using the car for, commuting, weekends, occasional racing, or? Just be aware that you absolutely need to spring for a top drawer exhaust system for that level of engine to breathe. The engine in the link will probably give you about 350HP at the rear wheels and feel like a rocket with that torque, but cut your gas mileage in half.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 377
Transmission: TH350; Circle D 4200 converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"

I'd do a LOT of reading before buying a crate motor. You really need to find a reputable one. I've seen a ton of horror stories from people spending 5-10K on a motor just to find out they didn't get what they paid for after cracking it open.. not to say crate motors are bad, but WHO you buy from is a big one. Anyone can point their finger back at the customer and say "they installed it wrong", but the right company will make things right provided you have good evidence of something they did wrong on their end. That's what you want. Do your research before buying. I know EBAY has a few good guys on there, but I've never bought a crate motor. Make sure the person you buy it from does a complete dyno and everything to prove the numbers they're claiming.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:06 PM

Well i wana get the motor while i have the money though i wont be doing the swap till i get out in a couple years at which time it'll mostly be a weekend car going to the track occasionally, in the mean time i'll be building my suspension up. I was just looking at the GM crate engines, i would assume GM to be pretty creditable, and they even carry a 383 short block so i could buy my own heads, cam, etc. and even measure the bore if i feel i need reassurance. Would that be a better route to go?
Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 PM
TGO Supporter

Location: Avatar: My 34' 1989 Scarab III w/ twin 454's (502's Started!)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Wellcraft Scarab III
Engine: Twin 454's
Axle/Gears: Twin Mercruiser Bravo I's

If crate motors is the way you want to go I would lean toward GM over blueprint now days. At one time Blueprint was and had a decent reputation in the marine field and on boat forums (not high performance boats) but since 2007 I've known of several boats where they did not last and also on a '71 Nova. Each had a long haggle trying to get the warranty work done with the guy in the Nova finally giving up.

Best wishes to you and thanks for your service!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:37 PM

thanks guys, yeah i think the GM short block 383 is the way to go, i wont have to worry about bearings and pistons and what not just the top end, hopefully i'll be able to build something close to the same specs as what i want so when the time comes i'll need some help on what will work together well. also thanks for the support
Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 PM

Car: 91 Bird
Engine: TPI 350
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi

I have to ask since I have always built my own engines and in 30 yrs have never wanted to buy a crate or looked into it. Mostly because I didn't want to pay for labor. What is the advantage to spending the money for crate engines? They have always seemed overpriced to me.

Do you really get that much better deal buying all the parts together? What percent of the total cost could you buy the parts for?

As I am getting older now and can actually see a time when I would rather pay someone to build one (and spend my time with the kids) I have been thinking that I would get the local father and son race engine shop to build it when the time came (not yet though).

You may want to ask locally where you are if there are some small shops that you can trust and that charges a fair price. The one by me does the machine work and gets all my parts so I don't have to run around gathering. I just go home and build it. That way I know whats in there and I KNOW every bolt is torqued correctly, threads are clean, no shaving in the oil galleys. Everything is lovingly fondled.

Warranty is great, but if it goes out in the first month (or 2 or 3) you still have to furnish the labor to pull it out, crate it up, ship it back, hope for the warranty (they may say your fat foot is the cause of failure), wait for a new one (or that one fixed), and then reinstall. And hope you don't have to do it all over again. Eh, no, I have never had my engines fail on me.

I know you asked about crate engines, just wanted to give you food for thought. Get a friend to show you how to build your own if it interests you.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:12 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 355 N/A mind 400hp build
Axle/Gears: 3.23

well the only real big advantage buying crate engines are the warranties that come with the engine. I considered using the parts list from a crate engine and build my own using that parts list and upgrade a few parts as I saw fit.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73

I would stay away from blueprint engines. They are know for faking the parts they install.

I am to the point of only trusting GM crate short blocks and long blocks. The engine business has become very shady. Here in Phoenix I have asked for people to recommend machine shops on several different forums and the only answer I get is watch your back. No one has a good thing to say about a single shop. You can still build what you want with a crate short block. Pick the heads, cam, valvetrain and you have your custom motor without the machine shop bandits.

Why do think you will never see an engine/machine shop sponsor a forum? They would be banned for stealing from the members in about 30 minutes.

Last edited by burnout88; 02-15-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 88 V6 'bird/89TBI bird/85 T/A
Engine: 2.8/TBI/TPI
Transmission: V8 T-5/700R4 x2
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open/2.73 open/ 3.27 9 bolt

I do EVERYTHING on a budget. EVERYTHING. Also, I too was in the Navy once upon a time and know some of what you are going through. Thanks for staying in! Somebody has to do it.

Number one, I hope you are already intimately familiar with the auto hobby shop on base. I built a lot of cars and trucks there when I was in!

Now, as you mentioned, that short block is a great place to start if you want to short the machining and assembly of the lower end. I have yet to hear anyone complain too much about GM Performance Parts, other than the price hehehehheh. So start with your short block:

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/12499106

Next, get your heads, intake, carb, and distributor and bolt them on at the hobby shop. Then when you take your engine out, remove all of your front accessory drive and motor mount shells, and put them on your newly assembled engine for completion.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Patriot-Perfor...ductId=1192214

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/...oductId=747530

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...oductId=752437

http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/66940/10002/-1

Don't forget for your carb swap you'll need to do a few mods to your fuel system. Your crap TBI in-tank pump will not support the HP levels of this engine. It just won't. So drop the tank, get it out, and either replace it with a high performance pump or eliminate the pump and run an external unit.

Like I said, I do everything on a budget. EVERY single part I linked to above, I would scour eBay, Craigslist and all the rest before I laid cash out at a retail store.

But that's just me.

Good luck man, and have a wonderful deployment.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 88 V6 'bird/89TBI bird/85 T/A
Engine: 2.8/TBI/TPI
Transmission: V8 T-5/700R4 x2
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open/2.73 open/ 3.27 9 bolt

Forgot the cam, hehehehheh.

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/24502586

That combo will get you close to the numbers for that crate engine you first looked at. There's plenty more to be had with a little tweak here and there.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 PM

well the great thing with GM performance crate engines is you can always get a parts list and specs on the engine you are looking at. Take that parts list and start searching for the parts listed. If you take your time you can get some pretty good bargain deals. Then once you have all the parts you need start the assembly process
Old 02-15-2012, 05:53 PM

Car: 91 rs
Engine: Carbed 355 CR 9:1 xr276 cam
Transmission: 700r4 2600 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.42

If I had to do it over again I would go with a GM crate motor. I will never have another engine built by a engine builder/ shop. I had my engine built by a shop in Selbyville , DE and I didn't get what I expected or asked for ( a lot of suprises ). Go with someone reputable GM has a good rep with their crates and unless you want something really wild you can probbably find something to fit your needs.

http://paceperformance.com/c-142526-...n-engines.html

Last edited by THETANK; 02-15-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM

the way I look at it... Dont expect much from an anonymous engine builder and you wont be unhappy. The best case scenario is to find a reputable engine builder and start asking him questions about what to get and where to get it. Talk to him and get to know him. Once you are comfortable with the guy/girl ask them if he'd be interested in a private deal. Help you build your engine and you'll pay him in cash asking him how much he would do it for. Telling him that you would do it yourself but are unsure, and would like to have help would like to use it as a learning experience.

That is in essence what I did and this winter a race car engine builder is letting me use his garage and the 2 of us are building an engine. Free of charge!!! Over the past 2 years I've continuously asked him questions and have bought some stuff through him, some of which isnt even car related
Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 PM

Thanks for all the input, krisw those links are a good start for me and yeah i already use the hobby shop, 4 bucks to use a lift for an hour is well worth it lol. Im gonna start making my parts list and i'll get back with what i come up with
Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 PM

Car: 1992 RS 6spd
Engine: Carbed 357c.i.
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Soon to be Strange S60

I have recently received my crate motor from ATK performance, and so far so great. Crated well, clean, bagged air tight. Block looks really good. Havent gotten it installed yet, but I'm impressed so far.
The motor I bought was the HP89.

Last edited by calamitascamaro; 02-15-2012 at 09:40 PM.