Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Spohn A Arms - Don't waste your $$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88' Iroc-Z
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Spohn A Arms - Don't waste your $$$

Originally Posted by GTA50
Now I don't pretend to be an expert by any means, but, sounds to me like the problem is trying to buy components when it is the full system you need. I think if you bought the subframe and then the a-arms there would be no problem.

So, the subframe should probably be bought first and the a-arms after.

Just my two cents.

I bought the tubular kmember and a-arms as a package and i am having the wheel set back problem on 2 vehicles. both ordered a year apart. The first one didn't matter it's a straight line car and runs skinnies all the time. My car on the other hand is being built like an autocross car and if i can not turn left or right without tearing off my ground effects, there is definitely a problem
Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock

Originally Posted by vjgillespie
Trying to get some decent measurements but I'm not real sure where to measure??? The spohn arms are installed and not much room for an accurate measurement.

Try this:
Measure the mount center-line on the frame

Then

Measure the ball joint from the center line difference

Would that show if there is a built-in set back?
Old 06-05-2011, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Iroc Race car, 71 Z/28 Race car
Engine: 5700cc self built
Transmission: Muncie 4 speeds
Axle/Gears: 3.75/3.5

Originally Posted by 87350IROC
Do a search here for the Fays2 Watts link.
http://www.fays2.net/
The regulations I have to run with wouldnt allow me to use the Watts.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

Do a search here for the Fays2 Watts link.
http://www.fays2.net/

what is this part good for ?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn

Originally Posted by KITT1983
Looks like a $650 ph-bar replacement.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 PM

Car: 87 Iroc Race car, 71 Z/28 Race car
Engine: 5700cc self built
Transmission: Muncie 4 speeds
Axle/Gears: 3.75/3.5

Originally Posted by KITT1983
A Mustang?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

im currently installing the UMI front Aarms that i got from a memeber here. And so far the spring install was a PITA! lol. Ive done it a bajillion times with the stock Aarms and im running 1.5 coils cut on moog 5664s (900lbin rate) and It was a PITA! i tried to put a poly isolator in between the spring and the Aarm to help protect the powdercoat and the spring fits soooo tight in the perch in the Aarm it was impossible.

Now I know the UMIs dont have a steering stop and the spohns dont either? so how do you fix this issue? I had to put the ears off the stock spindle for my BAER 13" brake system so the stock arms wouldnt even contact. Is it that big a deal not to have the steering stops? im only running 17x8" SLPs up front.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Flame Red Trans am GTA
Engine: Forged 355 4 Bolt, FIRST TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: ls1 torsen 3.42 gear

ive always wanted a tubular k member and tubular a arms.... but i have heard too many fitment and rubbing issues.... so i just painted my stock a arms and installed poly bushing and spohn heavy duty ball joints... plus ive heard that they are not ideal for a daily driver... so far im happy with my control arms....
Old 06-28-2011, 01:22 AM

Car: 92 z28, 07 Silverado
Engine: LS1, 5.3
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73, 3.23

I have this problem and im running their k member and control arms, my brother only has their k member and his wheels are centered perfectly
Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 AM

Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi

Originally Posted by customblackbird
im currently installing the UMI front Aarms that i got from a memeber here. And so far the spring install was a PITA! lol. Ive done it a bajillion times with the stock Aarms and im running 1.5 coils cut on moog 5664s (900lbin rate) and It was a PITA! i tried to put a poly isolator in between the spring and the Aarm to help protect the powdercoat and the spring fits soooo tight in the perch in the Aarm it was impossible.

Now I know the UMIs dont have a steering stop and the spohns dont either? so how do you fix this issue? I had to put the ears off the stock spindle for my BAER 13" brake system so the stock arms wouldnt even contact. Is it that big a deal not to have the steering stops? im only running 17x8" SLPs up front.
I installed the UMI A-arms this past winter and they weren't that bad to install with a internal spring compressor and a 900 ft/lb impact wrench. I called UMI about the steering stops and was told it is only a problem if the car is lowered......we'll see.....I havent been able to drive it yet
Old 06-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '90 Formula 350
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt S/S 700-R4 & ACT 9" Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23

My Spohn Arms have a tab weld on the arm for a steering stop. One issue is they don't have bump stops. I plan on using strut mounted bump stops. I haven't gotten that far on my install yet though. I still can't even manage to get the K member aligned so it will bolt in.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Formula
Engine: 6.0 LSX
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3:27

Ok. Final work on my issues here.

Stock k member and arms and the tire was perfectly centerered.

Spohn K member and their a arms and the wheel was set back. i sold the arms and bought umi's

Just got done installing the umi's and I am happy to report the wheel again is centered in the well.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Mkos1980

Spohn K member and their a arms and the wheel was set back. i sold the arms and bought umi's

Just got done installing the umi's and I am happy to report the wheel again is centered in the well.

the UMI's work with the spohn kmember well? that's something to think about. I took a picture for comparison yesterday showing that with the spohn a-arms the ball joint is set towards the back about an inch. I wish they would do something about it, but not likely. I'm hoping i can just sell my spohn parts to someone else and go a different direction. I put the factory kmember and a-arms on yesterday and have a full turning ability again so I know it isn't my car like they try to tell people.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

They work perfect. No turning issues for me and the wheel is centered! Where at in Ohio do you live?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56

Bummer. Now you have a-arms that don't have spring indexes or steering stops.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

I have their newer design with spring indexes and bumpstops. I posted pics in other posts. No steering stops though. I made my own though out of swaybar bushings.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

UMI states that the Aarms dont actually need steering stops. They said there is a reason that spohn and UMI's arms dont have the stops ( i believe some other aftermarket Aarms dont have the stops either for other types of cars) reason UMI stated that the Aarms dont need steering stops is that the Steering boxes themselves have stops built into them.

I put the UMI arms on my bird and the BAER 13" brake kit and I did a test with the car off the ground. With the engine off i maxed out the steering in both directions... low and behold the steering box stopped turning at the exact point it did before. I can tell bc I have wear marks in the plastic wheel well covers. Apparently you dont need the stops. And im sure this cuts down on costs when manufacturing the Aarms.

Bump stops is a different story. I had them on my stock arms and cut them due to lowering the car... with the 900lb cut moog 5664s my bump stops never contacted the kmember... car was a daily driver for a while. It would be a good idea to weld a bracket on and put trim-able poly bump stop on from energy suspension. But what are the chances of bottoming out the front suspension when your running higher rate than stock springs.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 88fastgta
ive always wanted a tubular k member and tubular a arms.... but i have heard too many fitment and rubbing issues.... so i just painted my stock a arms and installed poly bushing and spohn heavy duty ball joints... plus ive heard that they are not ideal for a daily driver... so far im happy with my control arms....

I heard that too about the tubular arms not being good as a daily driver... But that doesnt make sense to me. They are supposidly stronger than stock and they weight close to the same amount. Not to mention just about everyone and there mother now offers tubular upper and lower Aarms for just about every car out there. Cant seem to understand why they wouldnt work on a daily driver.

I also heard the same thing about tubular Kmembers... some have gotten cracked kmembers from road abuse but others have not. One bad part or failure causes alot of hype pretty quick. I would say that tubular parts would have no issues on a street car as long as u dont run over any curbs or honda sized potholes.

Im also selling my reinforced stock Aarms with poly bushings in the classifieds if anyone is interested.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

Custom, I just checked outside and like you with car on the ground, my tires do not contact the arm at full left or right turns. I removed my "makeshift" steering stops lol. I have stock Formula rims with BAER's kit as well.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:22 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 93 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

i wounder if sombody goofed. you know the Tube A arms sweep forward. about 1 1/2 inch.

now take them out of the jig. weld on the sway bar tabs (in/on the wrong side)
cuss your new? day dreaming? OR. its not your reg job at Spohn.

and what you come out with is a A arm with a 1" to 1 1/2"inch rear set front end.

just kick that around for a few sec

look at the photos posted..
Old 07-09-2011, 04:29 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 93 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
since these arms work on some cars and not on others. It makes me think it may be more of an issue with slop in the jig, not necessarily a completely wrong part. Could also be the same with the k-member. it would explain why some people dont have this issue and others do.

a center to center measurement across the mounting ears on the k-member would be good to have too. I have a stock k sitting in the driveway i could get measurement to compair with. I dont have any stock a-arms handy though.

somebody also mentioned the sway bar tab was moved too? something else to measure while we are at it.

Also, i know this was discussed before, but why do the a-arms on Spohns site no longer have steering stops? i know they didnt have them in the past, then the pictures changed anh the stops appeared, now they are gone again and somebody posted a picture of their new spohn arms recently with the clamp on style collar stop. why the constant changes

on another note, it would be nice if companies offered adjustable steering stops on these parts for those people who use a wheel wider than 8" and non factory specs.
SEE ABOVE PICS .. now do a swap of the sway bar link pads. install stickers facing wrong way also.. what do you get... and note: the pic shows the bottom of the above A arms.....Beer

i make Jet Eng parts. for any and every thing that flys.. any place in the world.
i can tell you screw ups hapn...most of the time they will not kill you..just look bad...

but i would say...some body made few facing the wrong way....

Beer....or it could be iv had one to many tonight...Beer

Last edited by articwhiteZ; 07-09-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Supreme Member

They work perfect. No turning issues for me and the wheel is centered! Where at in Ohio do you live?
I'm in Middletown, between Dayton and Cincinnati
Old 07-09-2011, 08:42 PM
jmd
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

Constantly repeating there is an issue without trying to figure out what the real issues is, isn't going to get you anywhere. Unfortunately this is a DIY hobby and the manufacturers respond better if YOU have a good idea of what they are doing wrong.
Well said.

Someone refresh my memory here; When a new K is swapped in, how much can it be shifted fore / aft / laterally? It seems like a thread here a bit ago where someone was figuring out why their tires weren't fitting right and they determined the K was shifted from previous damage and/or repair?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

Originally Posted by jmd
Well said.

Someone refresh my memory here; When a new K is swapped in, how much can it be shifted fore / aft / laterally? It seems like a thread here a bit ago where someone was figuring out why their tires weren't fitting right and they determined the K was shifted from previous damage and/or repair?
factory k-members, as well as aftermarket ones, have alignment pics that locate the k-member in the car, there is a minimal amount of play, if any at all. However, if the car has sustained chassis damage from an accident, things could be tweaked enough to cause fitment issues of the k-member, or moving it around enough to possible cause a issue.

I agree with the others too, and find it difficult to understand why people who have issues have never taken the time to measure the parts, side by side, and see whats wrong.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Still a 3rd Gen
Engine: 450HP 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 9" with 4.11's

Spohn K member and stock A arms here, stock IROC 16's and no weird rubbing problems.

The install wasn't the most fun thing but it eventually bolted in.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:09 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, LT1
Transmission: TKX, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23

Anyone get this one figured out?

I'm running Spohn A-arms on a stock k-member. My 16" formula rims cause tire rub to my fender on a full turn.

I'm tempted to just pick up some caster plates and move the strut forward, but I'd like to know why these are wrong.

-- Joe
Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 PM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

They do not fit like stock... many people have had problems and Spohn has been informed and won't do a dam thing to correct it except steal people's hard earned money...

I put my stock ones back on, problem solved...
if you can forget the thousand dollars spent on parts, labor, alignments, etc...

Rafael
Old 09-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Supreme Member

My guess would be the spohn ones are different geometry than stock. I used spohn ones on their k member with no issues. Seems spohns are like BMR if you want them to work it needs to be used on their k member too.

Posted from Thirdgen.org App for Android
Old 09-03-2013, 12:32 PM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

They guy who bought my Spohn a arms had a spohn k member and after installing the a arms in his Spohn k member, he reported that his wheels were moved forward in the wheel well... not in the stock location again... go figure...

I had been eyeing those a arms for years and I finally had a little extra cash and bought them... what a waste...

Rafael
Old 09-03-2013, 01:10 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9 inch/4.11 TruTrac

Spohn K-member with PA Racing coil-over A-Arms here.

Good fit, no problems. Mind you this is drag racing only car. The sharpest turn I make is at the end of the track back on to the return road.

Last edited by Tony V; 09-03-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:29 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

I spoke with Dan @Spohn today and he said he had no idea what might be going on. He asked that I take some pictures and send them over.

I'll take some tonight and ship 'em Spohns way and see what they say.

-- Joe
Old 09-03-2013, 08:09 PM

Car: '91 Camaro Z28
Engine: 383 Vortec HSR
Transmission: Pro-Built 700-R4;Vig 4000 stall
Axle/Gears: Moser M9 9" / 3.89

I have a Racecraft road-race k-member and Spohn Del-sphere coilover style A-arms. When I first put them on, they did the exact thing as everyone else described....tire way too close to the rear of the front wheel well. By lengthening the rear rod end out, it brought it back to center. After all of the posts about the issue, I pretty much knew what I would likely be getting into, but these looked slightly stronger than the racecraft arms due to the "A" shape versus the Racecraft arms "V" shape. If I had to do it all over again I would have just bought the racecraft a-arms instead of having to take the spohn arms off the car 4 times to adjust them by trial and error to get them the right length.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:02 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

I had the non adjustable, pre welded wrong at the factory model.

Yeah... they asked me for pictures too... sent thrm, and the link above with more pics and other members problems...

...crickets....
Old 09-04-2013, 07:21 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Sent Spohn some pics. The buff-primer one is the car as it sits right now, the other one (black fender) is before the body work. (that aftermarket fender got replaced cuz the fit was awkward).

-- Joe
Attached Thumbnails Spohn A Arms - Don't waste your $$$-spohn2.jpg   Spohn A Arms - Don't waste your $$$-spohn1.jpg  
Old 09-05-2013, 07:02 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Please be sure and post what, if anything, they say... or do...

Rafael
Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

how are umi lower a arms/control arms and umi k members?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 1988 Formula
Engine: 421 Little M block
Transmission: TH400 w/brake
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.30s, Wilwood discs, 28X10.5-15

You are replacing major components of the front end suspension which also involves removing the struts, tie rods, etc. to install these new parts. IF you are replacing components but leaving the rest of the same 25+ year old worn out parts, then wonder why nothing fits then shame on the installer.

Wheel alignment (position) can be corrected with the factory upper strut mounts, which should also be inspected for bearing wear and replaced.

OP states his stock A-arms are modified, modified for what purpose, to fit a wider wheel? He them blames the aftermarket parts which are based on OEM geometry.
OP also had a shop do all the work, so why did the shop not contact Spohn to resolve the issue? Seems to me someone is not telling the whole story? Either OP did not want to pay the shop more money to solve the problem, or the shop does not know what they are doing.

I replaced the entire front suspension on my car by myself in my garage including new Spohn K-member and A-arms with spring perches

I had the front end checked and adjusted by an alignment shop and it is absolutely within factory specs.

I did have an issue with a tie rod hitting the k-member, but this was with the car in the air and trying to turn the wheel full locked to the left, however that is not going to happen in reality because with the tires on the ground the tires turn lock to lock no issue because there are clearance slots in the k member for the tie rods. I contacted Spohn and spoke to STEVE SPOHN personally about this and he confirmed same.

I think they are a stand up company and Steve is a really nice guy.

You cannot run wider wheels or tires and expect an aftermarket part (which is based on stock geometry) to somehow magically allow you to NOT have clearance issues you had with "modified stock a-arms" . if they are modified they are not STOCK.

If OP was a DIYer and really had a mfg. issue or defect he should have sent the parts back for a refund or to be corrected.

However OP says he paid a shop and it appears they did the job wrong so shame on OP for not going after the shop to make it right for him. Most of the time it is simply installation /alignment error.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:40 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by FRMULA88
You are replacing major components of the front end suspension which also involves removing the struts, tie rods, etc. to install these new parts. IF you are replacing components but leaving the rest of the same 25+ year old worn out parts, then wonder why nothing fits then shame on the installer.
I don't know about the OP's problem, I just know I bought a set of these and I have the SAME problem. My car is as close to a 'frame off' restoration as you can get. Spohn A-ARMS, new moog stock height springs, new struts, mounts, etc. Factory wheel and tire combo.

However, even if someone was replacing just one component and leaving the rest alone, I'd expect it to work exactly like the part replaced did. the measurements should be the same. If you change a single part, and something hits that used to clear the part is not the same size. The rest of the car didn't magically change size overnight.

Wheel alignment (position) can be corrected with the factory upper strut mounts, which should also be inspected for bearing wear and replaced.
While I'd think so too, Spohn said it cannot. So.

OP also had a shop do all the work, so why did the shop not contact Spohn to resolve the issue? Seems to me someone is not telling the whole story? Either OP did not want to pay the shop more money to solve the problem, or the shop does not know what they are doing.
Even an average thirdgen owner can wrench well enough to install A-arms. I'm sure the shop the OP used installed them, and delivered the car to the owner. It's not the shops fault that a brought in part failed to fit. The shop is not a Spohn reseller/installer.

I think they are a stand up company and Steve is a really nice guy.
I don't have a problem with Steve or Spohn. I'd just like to know why the a-arms don't fit.

If OP was a DIYer and really had a mfg. issue or defect he should have sent the parts back for a refund or to be corrected.
Why? I won't. If they can't be fixed I'll throw them in the dumpster. I'm hoping Spohn has some advice to correct the issue. If not, I'll junk 'em like I do any part that fails to perform.

However OP says he paid a shop and it appears they did the job wrong so shame on OP for not going after the shop to make it right for him. Most of the time it is simply installation /alignment error.
Good luck.
There is no alignment. It's two straight bolts. no adjustment. No shimming. The centerline of the ball joint is fixed. It's a triangle.

-- Joe
Old 09-05-2013, 08:44 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by luvofjah
Please be sure and post what, if anything, they say... or do...

Rafael
He said thirdgen's don't have the front wheel centered in the opening and asked if I had an aftermarket k-member, big tires, lowering springs/spindles, etc.

He said caster plates won't fix the problem.

I think I figured out what is wrong last night though. I need another thirdgen to measure to be sure, so I'll reserve speculation until I measure a factory car.

-- Joe
Old 09-05-2013, 10:37 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

My tires were moved back with the spohn a arms, and rubbed in the back when turning.
Didn't have the problem with the stock a arms...

Regardless of if they were centered, the spohn a arms moved the wheel to a non stock position causing the problem...

Rafael
Old 09-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 310ci (LB9)
Transmission: Custom Rebuilt 700R4 - 2600 Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Eaton Limited-Slip

anesthes just out of curiosity how come you didn't get UMI's a-arms? The new version of their a-arms look really good (I have their old version, which lacked adjustable steering stop, bump stop, spring index, and I have poly but now they offer the delrin bushings, and also the OD of the tubing is now 1.5" instead of 1.25" which was the older version).
Old 09-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Supreme Member

I would be interested to see measurements. I think that would be very useful for people that are going to pay a shop to install them. I'm thinking the problem might be ball joint position problem. Can someone with the spohn problems put a straight edge on the outer bushing surface on each side and give measurements from each side to the ball joint center line pin straight across. Then we could compare against the stock aarms. That way people could know by measuring the a arms before they are installed if the tires are going to move.

Posted from Thirdgen.org App for Android
Old 09-05-2013, 11:10 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by hellz_wings
anesthes just out of curiosity how come you didn't get UMI's a-arms? The new version of their a-arms look really good (I have their old version, which lacked adjustable steering stop, bump stop, spring index, and I have poly but now they offer the delrin bushings, and also the OD of the tubing is now 1.5" instead of 1.25" which was the older version).
Opportunity I guess. Spohn's arms fell into my lap for a good price.

If I have to change them again I'll probably go coilover. There is only so much dancing with the springs I'm willing to do.

-- Joe
Old 09-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 1988 Formula
Engine: 421 Little M block
Transmission: TH400 w/brake
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.30s, Wilwood discs, 28X10.5-15

How do you replace the arms without removing the brakes, spindles spring and struts?
This alone disrupts the alignment.

Wheel position ( camber caster, toe in & out) can be adjusted via the upper strut mounts.. and a COMPENTENT Alignment shop can do that. If you bothered to take it apart yourself you would see the mounting holes are slotted... these slots allow for adjustment.

also, if you removed the strut mount brackets there is a strong change those were
re-installed incorrectly and that would severely alter the wheel geometry.

I restored / modified my entire car for the most part by myself so I know what I am talking about.

It seems there are more satisfied Spohn customers than not.

Again if there is a problem you should talk to Spohn and they should make it right or at least help you figure out what is wrong. And by talk to I mean pick up the TELEPHONE and talk to them.. you will accomplish a lot more this way than by email.

Also most any shop will not install costumer supplied parts... for this very reason.
good luck.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

When u change the aarms you dont have to move the strut mount and th ere is no adjument anywhere else that will more the wheel back anywhere near as far as they are in the two cases being discussed here . If the strut it remover from the spindle a small adjustment in alignment may be needen but never to this extreme. This issue has come up enough times over the years that something is not right
Old 09-05-2013, 02:12 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

How do you replace the arms without removing the brakes, spindles spring and struts?
This alone disrupts the alignment.
Well if someone just replaces the arms, you simply undo the nut and release the ball joint. The ball joint is a taper and is not adjustable. Then you remove the two bolts holding the arm to the k-member, and the end link.

Wheel position ( camber caster, toe in & out) can be adjusted via the upper strut mounts.. and a COMPENTENT Alignment shop can do that. If you bothered to take it apart yourself you would see the mounting holes are slotted... these slots allow for adjustment.
They are only slotted one way, for camber adjustment. Caster adjustment would be done with aftermarket mounts, which offer a second set of slots in the other direction. But you knew that, right?

I restored / modified my entire car for the most part by myself so I know what I am talking about.
Good job! I'm on my 6th or 7th thirdgen. I've been building these and other cars for over 20 years. I not an idiot.

-- Joe
Old 09-05-2013, 02:18 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
When u change the aarms you dont have to move the strut mount and th ere is no adjument anywhere else that will more the wheel back anywhere near as far as they are in the two cases being discussed here . If the strut it remover from the spindle a small adjustment in alignment may be needen but never to this extreme. This issue has come up enough times over the years that something is not right
I thought about caster plates to try and move the wheel slightly forward, but Spohn is right about that not helping the problem. If you figure out the math of how much the strut will move forward, then calculate how far the spindle will actually move we're talking like 1/8"-1/4" if that. The spindle in this case is off by I'd guess at least 1.5".

You would probably get more movement unbolting the k-member and trying to pry it forward. But still not enough to cure the problem.

I know how to fix them, but I'm not taking them out to modify them. If they come out they are going in the dumpster

-- Joe
Old 09-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 310ci (LB9)
Transmission: Custom Rebuilt 700R4 - 2600 Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Eaton Limited-Slip

What 86TA said.. The strut mounts and the strut to spindle bolts (a more so if you have adjustable ones) are the only things that would mess with an alignment (other than ofcourse adjustable a-arms). Wheel should be centered if everything else was unchanged.. Maybe driving around the block might make it settle or something? I dunno.

What is the prob? I'm actually really curious lol..
Old 09-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '86 Camaro, '94 Camaro, 3 others
Engine: LG4 ->L29, L32->LR4, L36, LG4, L31
Transmission: 700R-4, T5WC, 4L80E, SM465, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23, WTB/WTT 2.93

Originally Posted by Birdstheword
Bmr kmember moves engine forward an inch or two ...
What we need is the front wheels moved forward about an inch, as the more the front suspension compresses, the farther rearward the front wheels move. Wheels behind the center of the openings looks really bad. But slightly forward looks perfect. Meanwhile, are we all sure that nobody installed the left arm on the right and the right arm on the left?
Old 09-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '86 Camaro, '94 Camaro, 3 others
Engine: LG4 ->L29, L32->LR4, L36, LG4, L31
Transmission: 700R-4, T5WC, 4L80E, SM465, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23, WTB/WTT 2.93

How do you replace the arms without removing the brakes, spindles spring and struts?.
All you need is a ball joint separator tool (&quot;pickle fork&quot, leave the spindles bolted to the struts, and leave the struts bolted to the upper bearing things. You'll need an inside style coil spring compressor, but the spindles can stay attached to the car. And this saves having to disconnect the outer tie rod ends and brakes. Why make extra work unnecessarily?

Quick Reply: Spohn A Arms - Don't waste your $$$