Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

TPIS

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac
TPIS

Had an AFPR on Ebay for $49, got one...
They make a great TPI base that flows really well (and at the moment) were giving better support than Accel.... Spent $400+ on that too...

I really wanted the Large Tube Runners for it and after seeing the mess going on with AS&M / group purchase / 8 months and waiting... I thought... I'll spend the extra $100 and just have them... I called them up... "they're in stock"....

I ordered them through a dealer who did some porting / polishing to my plenum and stuff.... A month and a half later.... always some excuse..."Next week"... "the shop that does that for us hasn't sent any to us".... So I call once a week and see what, if anything has changed... "Next week"... Last week, I spoke with someone and he got snippy with me. He made it seem like they can't even call the shop to speak to someone to get an answer... Like they deal with magic trolls that do work but can't understand English... except they're not magic cause they're not doing the work & who knows if they talk english, all they can say is "next week"....& the worst part, TPIS, they're not even trying to communicate with them and get it done...

I told them, "I paid for these a month and a half ago", was told, "we haven't charged our dealers yet", I told them, "I called and was told they were in stock", then they said, "we haven't had them in stock for a while"....

I understand that work gets contracted out... I don't understand why it's always "next week" and why they're not even willing to talk to the company to get a straight answer. The only other game in town for those AS&M is backlogged 8 months, still has 10 or so orders to fill and they have a new excuse every week too...

Someone give me an option besides dealing with what these people call "business".

Raf
Old 04-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: '87 FIREGOOSE!!!!
Re: TPIS

Call up Summit or Jegs and buy some Edelbrock runners and be done with it. Or see if they have some Accell runners. If none in stock of either at either, try the same 2 runners at Yearone-Next Generation.
If none in stock there either, you're in for a wait.
(If they aren't in stock at Summit or Jegs, ask how long the wait is, they usually have a rough timeline)
Good luck.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:21 PM
AC
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Used to drive a camaro

For the money you'll spend on Accell, EdelB and AS&M you should also consider SLP. I bought a TPIS base and decided to go SLP and siamesed them. I ordered them through SLP but you have SLP, Summit, Jegs, and probably numerous other places that would have these readily available.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt Borg-Warner 2.77

I know it is a mess about the AS&M large tube runner group purchase. All I can tell you is that I did receive mine and they are awesome.....

I am really sorry the other folks had problems. If you can wait, they are worth it. (I will likely get flamed for this....)

Last edited by pinky93; 04-24-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:52 PM
TGO Supporter

I like the stock look of the LTR's... so the SLP and Edelbrock are out... I had a pair of Accel's and sold them to get these, they flow the best, the AS&M and TPIS are basically identical, mandrel bent tubbing welded to CNC'd flange....

Maybe someone who works there will read this and try and do something about it, instead of being snippy with a customer who's already waited 1.5 months and been lied too...

Raf
Old 04-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Supreme Member

AS&M makes TPIS's runners for them. If AS&M are backordered, TPIS will be backordered even longer.
If you have your heart set on them, get them through AS&M (through the group order I suppose, don't know all the deal with what is going on with that, I haven't read the thread) that's where your going to have the best, fastest way to get 'em.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:36 AM
TGO Supporter

AS&M doesn't make them for TPIS

Arizona Speed and Marine, Inc.
6313 W. Commonwealth Ave.
Chandler, AZ 85226

TPI Specialties, Inc.
4255 Creek Road
Chaska, MN 55318

I was told TPIS got the tooling from AS&M...
TPIS has a local shop make them ... so so I was told but yet to see any product...

Chris..." haven't heard anything since Tuesday, they haven't said nothing".

No offers to "let me call and see", like talking to a stump...

Raf
Old 04-29-2007, 08:52 AM
TGO Supporter

Update:

I called Friday and was told they had 2 sets to ship out that day. I asked if a set was going to the dealer I bought them through, they said no...

Next day, my dealer says he was sent an email informing him that he would get his order next week and....

"On a side note, I'm wondering if you could contact your customer about the runners. He is constantly calling us asking the status and is now to the point where is a little over-bearing. He has been calling 2-3 times a week and using the X name like it is his order. We aren't supposed to disclose order info unless the person calling is the customer ordering them which is yourself and not him. We are getting these done as efficiently as we can and we absolutely understand how hard it is to wait for parts sometimes but I'm asking you to please contact your customer and ask him to refrain calling in reference to your order. You're welcome to check status when you'd like, but we are getting down the list of backorders as fast as we can."

I mostly called 2 times a week, anyway, the call is for about a minute long just to inquire about the runners, to get the same old answer "uh, next week". They lied about having them in stock, they obviously lied about "next week", they were not helpful in getting any info from the "company they outsource from" & cuz I call 2 or 3 times A WEEK for a minute, I'm over bearing? I was polite with each phone call, but how many times do you tell someone "next week" before you start feeling uncomfortable because, obviously, it's not the truth...

I spent close to $1000 at that place, you think they'd bitch about the people holding them up, not the people paying their salary...

I'm getting my runners soon and never spending another red cent there.

Raf

Last edited by luvofjah; 05-02-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

You know, I'dd tell the dealer you bought them from, "something came up" and cancell the order. Order a different set from someplace else. If they (TPIS) don't like the business world, let 'em keep them. I do the same thing, when I've ordered a part, payed for, and told a time/date, I call regularly when that time/date has passed. They'er not gonna call and keep you informed (they are busy, so I don't expect that), so I'll call to keep updated. Please just be straight with me, that's all I ask. Sometimes people's projects hing on the part they'er waiting for, so if a company gets a call or two.... that's just the way it is. They get miffed, well I can go elsewhere.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350
Engine: Forged 385 H/C/I
Transmission: 700R4-4300 Stall-lockup
Axle/Gears: BW 9 Bolt 3:70

YES , AS&M does make the Large tube runners for TPIS! and if you think TPIS makes there own Big Mouth intake base you will disappointed there too...There made by Edelbrock..
Originally Posted by luvofjah
AS&M doesn't make them for TPIS

Arizona Speed and Marine, Inc.
6313 W. Commonwealth Ave.
Chandler, AZ 85226

TPI Specialties, Inc.
4255 Creek Road
Chaska, MN 55318

I was told TPIS got the tooling from AS&M...
TPIS has a local shop make them ... so so I was told but yet to see any product...

Chris..." haven't heard anything since Tuesday, they haven't said nothing".

No offers to "let me call and see", like talking to a stump...

Raf
Old 04-30-2007, 06:47 PM

Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.70

I would be seriously offended by that 'side note" If they don't want to effectively deal with thier customers they sure as hell wouldn't get any of my money.

I work customer service type job every day, so I know it can be aggrivating but honestly if you want to make money you need to take care of your customers and not BS them. which sadly seems like a common thing in this hobby.

which is why places like hawks and TDS and tpiparts, etc are top notch companies. outstanding customer service.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:45 PM

I agree with the others, TPIS doesnt make them. They're coming from ASM, which is why you're still waiting for them from TPIS as well.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:20 AM
TGO Supporter

I know Edelbrock makes the TPIS intake for them... but it's their design and different than Edelbrock's...

My runners are supposed to be shipped out end of this week... I'll let you know, cuz if I get mine (and they're from AS&M) a few people are gonna be more pissed than me...

Again, I was told TPIS purchased the tooling from AS&M and has a local shop actually build them (thus the delay), maybe at one time AS&M did, but not now... I asked... unless, they lied about that too... I'll let you know end of week if mine ships...

Raf
Old 05-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by luvofjah
I know Edelbrock makes the TPIS intake for them... but it's their design and different than Edelbrock's...

My runners are supposed to be shipped out end of this week... I'll let you know, cuz if I get mine (and they're from AS&M) a few people are gonna be more pissed than me...

Again, I was told TPIS purchased the tooling from AS&M and has a local shop actually build them (thus the delay), maybe at one time AS&M did, but not now... I asked... unless, they lied about that too... I'll let you know end of week if mine ships...

Raf
Well, I hope you get them soon then, cause almost everyone is under the impession that AS&M makes 'em. Hope they'er telling you the truth.
But, if they tell you your base is "their" design, well, that is not the truth.
Edelbrock makes their base, then TPIS hand ports them (cleans them up) a bit and ships them out for customers. No "new" designs there, just about an hour per base.
TPIS is kind of tiring in the way they almost claim "they" were the first in TPI engines for everything. But while using everyone others products to do it. They have good products, in alot of cases, but need to stop patting themselves on the back so much.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:54 AM
TGO Supporter

After being told to stop calling, I gave them another 2 weeks...
each time "we have some and they were shipped, but haven't gotten to your order yet / back order"...

The dealer I'm going through just sent me this...

"These guys are getting ridiculous now. I spoke to someone other than Jim for a change. Now I'm told that they haven't gotten any runners in. They have 15 backordered sets, and no E.T.A. from their "outsourcing company". I was told that the place that makes them had like 3 guys quit in the last few weeks and they have been swamped..."
Old 05-09-2007, 11:13 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: '91 Trans Am
Engine: 350 Blueprint Engines Cruiser
Transmission: TKX 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Wow, that is really crappy service. Is there no chance you can have your dealer call and find out what number he is on that backorder list? That is, unless orders are filled at random because of poor documentation. It looks like you're thrown into that GB list...

Personally, if I had this happen and paid with a credit card, I would be calling the card company and reacquisition my well spent money. Manufacturing may take time, but you didn't pay for time. You paid for a good, not compounding interest.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:22 AM
TGO Supporter

The dealer I'm going through, I have no problem with him, he does nice work, always emails and keeps me informed... I already paid him for them... But I've gotten other things through him...

TPIS said, "we don't charge the dealer til we ship"... so we're creeping up on 3 months now...

I called and spoke to Jim and he said we are next on the list...

I'll try and not hold my breath...

Raf
Old 05-25-2007, 12:11 PM

Turning blue yet?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt

....from what I have seen lately I don't think they even clean up the Edelbrock base anymore.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Supreme Member

tpis is terrible. sorry to hear your luck. i wouldn't put anything of theirs on a car of mine after my own troubles let alone the hundreds of others on the internet. i'm amazed they are in business still..
Old 05-27-2007, 07:49 PM
TGO Supporter

Blue... green... still waiting...

Raf
Old 05-30-2007, 12:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 252 Likes on 188 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

I bought a set of AS&M's runners last summer(directly from AS&M). The first set they sent arrived dented, but they were great about replacing them. Very little waiting time for either set.

I ordered by phone, so this is straight from AS&M's mouth, "we make TPiS' runners."

A lot of people here don't like TPiS, but I've never had any problems with them. Everything I've ever ordered, including my base, arrived quickly--the same with AS&M and TAPerformance(who I mention because, though they're good companies with excellent products, each seems to be a little slow with group purchases, from what I've been reading). But maybe I've had better results because I don't buy through group purchases.

Regarding its claim to be "the first...," just because TPiS doesn't do the actual manufacturing, it could've created the designs for these products originally, then had companies like Edelbrock, AS&M, BBK, etc., manufacture them. But that's normal for just about any product on the market.

And until recently, I don't think those companies were allowed to sell these products under their own labels... prolly because the 'rights' to the products' designs were 'owned' by TPiS.

So if that's true, then TPiS actually can take credit for being "the first..."

As for the order delays, I'd bet that AS&M is contractually 'bound' to fill TPiS' orders before anyone else's... at least, that's how I'd have had it written if I were TPiS. So it'll be interesting to see if people who've ordered from TPiS get their runners before people who've ordered from AS&M or through group purchases.

So keep us informed, luvofjah.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 06-13-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:25 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: New 700r4 Done by 11/14/07!

I'm really glad I read this post prior to doing ANYTHING with TPIS. It's great to have you guys as a resource since there are people out there like me who don't get out in the real world that often. I was considering getting a set of big mouth runners, or possibly a miniram. Maybe I should just do the HSR or buy components from Edelbrock through Summit and have everything ported instead. If there's one thing I hate, it's a backorder.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:57 AM
TGO Supporter

Update!

Absolutely nothing has changed

I left them alone for about a month, I took a trip to NY for 10 days, etc...
I called him TPIS last week, spoke to Jim... again...

"Oh, I haven't called them (the magic trolls that make the runners) in a week and half.. I'll call them and I'll email your dealer (that I bought them through)".

As of yesterday, my "dealer" says he has not gotten any phone calls or emails from Jim...

surprise surprise....

So I'll call again today...
Old 06-11-2007, 09:00 AM
TGO Supporter

Chris from TPIS...
"Jim's been gone for 5 days, he returns tomorrow...
I spoke to the people that manufacture them for us, they are still having problems, a few more weeks... I don't see any remedy to this situation"...
I've had them on back order for 3 months"...

Raf "Yeah, I ordered them 3 months ago, I'll keep holding my breath"...

Sad...
Old 06-11-2007, 10:04 AM
TA
Supreme Member

Car: '88 GTA, 90 Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI, fed growth hormones
Transmission: 700r4 4u2?
Axle/Gears: 9bolt

Amazing that we as a hobby put up with this kind of thing, but it is all too common. Remind us again, why did you HAVE TO HAVE the TPIS runners? I ordered Edelbrocks, and they were at my door in 3 days. I would recommend drilling out the through holes the next size up for ease of installation, but otherwise I'm very happy with my purchase.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:16 AM
TGO Supporter

The TPIS / AS&M Runners are the best flowing runners out there...
They are made from mandrel bent aluminum tubing, not cast aluminum (which also makes them bigger / smoother flowing)...

If you're not aware of the mess also going on with AS&M in the group purchase, people have been waiting 8+ months for these...

I like the way these runners look as opposed to the others...

Looks like they're turning into collectors items... if you can get your hands on a set...

Raf
Old 06-14-2007, 06:17 PM

Car: 1989 Pontiac trans-am
Engine: building a 400
Transmission: 700r4

I've got a set of these Runners. I could sell you because I'm switching to The Mini Ram.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:17 AM
TGO Supporter

After waiting 2 weeks to "have jim call my dealer"....

I have not heard a peep...

my "dealer" said (as of last week) he never heard back from him...

So I ask Jim today why I've not heard anything form my dealer, he says, we called him 3 times, we sold 3 other runners to other customers...

Mind you, I've been waiting since January! The "dealer" has an account with these guys... and the order was not canceled, I've been calling this *** clown every few weeks...

Then he proceeds to yell, yes YELL at me, "YOU'RE NOT ONE OF OUR CUSTOMERS, IF YOU WOULD OF BOUGHT IT THROUGH US, THIS NEVER WOULD OF HAPPENED"...

What an ***...

Rafael
Old 06-21-2007, 07:49 AM
TGO Supporter

My "dealer" called them and canceled the order...

He told me that TPIS finally admitted that AS&M DOES MAKE THEIR RUNNERS...

Not that people here didn't say that, but when the company you deal with lies to you.... sad...

TPIS did nothing but waste months of my time, lie to me more than once & also yell at me over the phone...

So now, I will NEVER buy another thing from those BS'ers... Getting them straight from AS&M...

Got a few minutes & fee nation wide cel service?
Call Jim at TPIS 952-448-6021 and tell him you were considering buying stuff from his company, but not after how they treated one of your fellow board members...

Screw those guys...
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro
Engine: 355ci
Transmission: TKO-600 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt

ya this is the main reason i would never buy a mini-ram from them, besides it being unreasonably expensive not to mention have heard sketchy things about their build quality at times.

I think some companies havent figured out yet that all it taket is pissing off one single customer, in the age of information to lose half of your business. That sounds like certain shops ive dealt with in the past, call once or twice a week because they tell you the parts for your motor should be in by the end of the week, 2 months later. Its no fun, sorry to hear about your experience
Old 06-21-2007, 11:01 AM

Its funny how much of this stuff could be resolved by changing "Yea we have that in stock" or "We can have that ready next week" to "I'm sorry but we're really backlogged and its going to take a few months".
Old 06-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by madmax
Its funny how much of this stuff could be resolved by changing "Yea we have that in stock" or "We can have that ready next week" to "I'm sorry but we're really backlogged and its going to take a few months".
I agree. Look at AFR with their Eliminator heads when they came out. They flat out told people it's gonna take 2 months. And people accepted it.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:38 PM

Car: 1986 Iroc Z 28
Engine: 383
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I called AS&M back in December when the group purchase was well underway and was told they wouldn't have anything more for months. Then the guy asked my if I wanted the polished ones (more expensive but much better looking) and said he had some of those in stock on the shelves. I said no problem, paid the extra money for polished and got them in a week.

Call AS&M and ask if they have the polished version on the self. You might get lucky!