Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Art Carr Performance. Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700-R4
Art Carr Performance. Yes or No?

Anybody got anything from these guys. I was looking on their website and it seems like a really good dealer. Just wondering if anybody has had any dealing with them.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Camaro
Engine: 406
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
I have ran Art Carr trannys in the past with no problem, but if you are looking for a 700R4 check out www.pro-built.net This guy makes some damn soild overdrive trannys and his customer service is way wayway better than Carr, TCI, and B&M all put togther.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 GTA, 91 Formula, 89 TTA
Engine: all 225+ RWHP
Transmission: all OD
Axle/Gears: Always the good ones
Art Carr is good to go by if u get the transmission shop that is owned actually by Art Carr :-)

He sold his original business and they kept the name, they ended up making lots of people pretty po'ed.

I dont know the exact name of Art Carr(the actual mans) shop now, so u might want to do some investigating.

Pro-Built here is a good person to deal with , whether on the phone or business wise.

Bout 5 of us on the NW IN/Chicago Board running Jimmy's Transmission out of Mundelein IL as well

later
Jeremy
Old 02-04-2006, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z Convertible
Engine: 305
Transmission: Art Carr 700-R4
late response, but better than nothing

I had my automatic rebuilt by Art Carr when they were here in Huntington Beach/Fountain Valley in 1995 back at the tail end of the "you gotta get rid of the lockup revolution." The transmission generally worked fine, although it needs some adjustments now (of course, it's been 11 years). This was the original outfit, the famous one. I remember being in the back of their shop and a tech pointing to a transmission sitting on the floor in the back from a Rolls-Royce, owned by someone in Japan. GOK if he was lying or not, but they had a fantastic reputation. They did sell the business, and I believe that they moved to Nevada or Texas. If memory serves, the name is now "Art Carr Performance Products." That's what you want. The only real beef I have with them isn't with the workmanship/quality, it is with the fact that they didn't inform me that their heavy duty torque converters weren't made with less than 2000-2200 stall speed. LSS, that stall speed range doesn't work with 2.73 gears, at least when the lockup has been eliminated. Thank Heaven that I had one of their huge transmission coolers. I was relatively ignorant about these things at the time, as I just wanted the strongest thing I could find, and the car wouldn't get out of its own way. I've been slowly making my way to respectability ever since (3.23's, etc.) FWIW, in the future I'll probably deal primarily with Pro-Built. I say this because (1) they've been well recommended by many here at TGO, and (2) they (I believe the person's name is "Dana" but I don't know for sure) gave me some good info on a thread I started a few days ago. I respect people who give of their own spare time to help someone who needs it, even if they do it knowing that it will help business. You gotta respect that. I hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Iroc
Engine: Cammed LS3
Transmission: 4l80e
Axle/Gears: 4.10
The new Art Carr

Art Carr is now in California and his shop is California Performance Transmission. He sold the name Art Carr and the people who bought the business and name is in Abilene TX. I am currently dealing with them now on a converter that was purchased by the previous owner of the car I just bought. I have the Extreme 700R4 and the converter was supposed to be 3500 stall. First trip to the track netted 4800 to 5000 flash stall on motor only. They said the converter looks OK inside but can't really explain why they missed by so much. Makes me wonder how close they will come to hitting my 3000rpm request. Personally, I would deal with California Perf Trans...the real thing built by Art Carr himself. I called him first and he did not have anything favorable to say of his old business. He actually said he was suprised my trans was still working!! This trans was one reason I bought this car but now I don't have such a good feeling about that part of the car.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt
I had a shift kit put in my car by Art Car around 1991. It has performed without a problem. Still going strong.