Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

I Hate Ups

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 03:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro
Engine: 355ci
Transmission: TKO-600 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt
I Hate Ups

I'm quite upset. My transmission just finally reached me. Was three packages one box with synchro mesh fluid in it, one big box that had my tranny and all of the little parts like bolts bearings shifter bar etc, and one that had my lakewood bellhousing in it.

The lakewood bellhousing had clearly been dropped hard enough that a portion of the bellhousing went right through the side of the box. No real damage to the bellhousing you can see a small spot where the bell hit the ground where the paint was taken off and it left a little score in the metal. Its right by the edge tho the actual bellhousing im sure is fine it just really makes me mad to have a package that cost me so much treated that way.

It also makes me absolutly horrified as to how hard my transmission was probably dropped to the ground on more then one occasion with reasonable force. If for some reason my trans doesnt work im going to cry. I hate UPS im requesting fed-ex from now on
Old 07-01-2005, 01:01 PM

Car: wow thats alot of cars i own , now 1999 silverado
Engine: 4.3 v6,3-350 TPI,71CAMARO SS TPI 350,91 CAMARO RS 350 5 SPEED,86 C-10 350/TH 350C
Transmission: 3-automatics, 1- 5 SPEED
I AGREE ,JUST RECENTLY I BOUGHT A SPEED DENSITY TPI WIRING HARNESS , UPS SAID THEY DELIVERED IT . NOW KEEP IN MIND HOW MUCH THESE AR ALSO ...... NEVER OT INTO ANY NE HANDS HERE AT MY HOME JUST LEFT ...SO THEY SAY . WELL NEVER RECIEVED IT . LONG GONE .. YOU WOULD THINK THAT THEY WOULD MAKE SURE SOMEONE WAS HOME OR HAD TO BE SIGNED FOR AT A PACKAGE AT THAT PRICE ..... I LIVE IN FT.WALTON BEACH FLORIDA .... NOW SOMEONE IS HAPPY THEY GOT A WIRING HARNESS ITS UNDER A TRACER NOW .....BUT STILL LEAVING A PACAKGE THAT EXSPENSIVE ... AND I DO KNOW HOW THEY THROW THINGS AROUND .CAUSE I WORK FOR THE US POST OFFICE .... JUST TO GET THERE WORK DONE AND ITS NOT THIERS THEY JUST THROW THINS AROUND ..... WELL GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR TRNNY HOPE EVERYTHING WORKS !

TOM
Old 07-01-2005, 02:22 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Moving...
Engine: Running...
Transmission: Shifting...
I am not a fan of UPS either. As either a receiver or sender, their prices are pretty high and their service of delivery is pretty crappy, I mean what is the use of the tracking numbers if they don't actually accurately report the true location of the package Anyways I completely agree that I am much more satisified with FedEx
Old 07-01-2005, 02:36 PM

Car: wow thats alot of cars i own , now 1999 silverado
Engine: 4.3 v6,3-350 TPI,71CAMARO SS TPI 350,91 CAMARO RS 350 5 SPEED,86 C-10 350/TH 350C
Transmission: 3-automatics, 1- 5 SPEED
HEY I AGREE WITH YOU ON ALL POINTS ON UPS ! HEY I SEE YOUR IN FONTANA ,CA ... IM FROM SOUNTHERN CA MYSLEF DAD WAS MILITARY AND FINALLY ENDED UP HERE IN FT WALTON BEACH FLORIDA IM 444 , BE 45 IN A WEEK , BUT FROM RIGHT AROUND WHERE YOUR AT I GREW UP TIL THE AGE OF 11 IN REDLAND ,CA ..... HAVE LOTS OF FAMAILY THERE AND MY REAL DAD LIVES IN SAN BERNARDINO , CA SO I KNOW EXACLY WHERE UR AT!!

TOM
Old 07-02-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
What vendor did you buy the transmission and accessories from? I can't believe they shipped it by UPS. It should have shipped on a pallet by truck freight delivery. If you're a residence it should have been delivered by a liftgate truck. I seriously doubt FedEx Ground would have done any better in delivering something that heavy.

My experience with FedEx ground and UPS is exactly the opposite of all the comments so far. I used FedEx Ground when I started my business. I only used UPS for those very few customers that either preferred UPS over FedEx or that FedEx didn't deliver to. My experience with FedEx Ground goes back to 2001-2002. Shortly after opening my web site I switched to using UPS exclusively for my heavier items. I'm boycotting FedEx. The reasons why I've chosen UPS over FedEx are too numerous to list here concisely. Lets just say that UPS provided the customer support that FedEx failed to deliver. I've never had to jump through so many hoops to set up an account to be billed as I did with FedEx. I finally gave up. Their loss. UPS has had my business ever since. Some of my problems with FedEx Customer Service I attribute to their struggles to integrate RPS into the company. The rest I'll attribute to poor training of their employees, both at the FedEx teminal and Customer Service office.

I've shipped over a thousand items and have yet to have to file a claim for a lost or damaged shipment. Not to say that UPS has been perfect. I did receive a pair of new OEM acrylic t-tops I bought on an eBay auction that were shattered. In that case I blame it on an improperly packaged item. The seller relied on GM's original packaging which consisted of a molded foam block top and bottom in a corrugated box. The seam of the box split allowing the contents to shift and break. I chose not to file a claim only because I'd gotten such a good deal on the t-tops and decided to keep them for the seals.

Lon

Last edited by lonsal; 07-10-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro
Engine: 355ci
Transmission: TKO-600 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt
Originally posted by lonsal
What vendor did you buy the transmission and accessories from? I can't believe they shipped it by UPS. It should have shipped on a pallet by truck freight delivery. If you're a residence it should have been delivered by a liftgate truck. I seriously doubt FedEx Ground would have done any better in delivering something that heavy.
www.5speedtransmissions.com they are a distributor for fortes. I ordered a tko-600 5 speed transmission
Old 07-10-2005, 12:50 PM

Car: '82 Trans Am
Engine: Blown 540 BBC
Transmission: TH475
Axle/Gears: Dana 60, 4.10 w/spool
Depending upon how well the bellhousing was packaged, I wouldn't necessarily blame UPS. When shipping large, heavy parts (especially with protruding edges), extra measures on the shipper's behalf should be used to ensure damage-free shipment. Multiple layers of cardboard in critical areas, along with padding and/or foam, and strapping tape should be used in these situations. If it was shipped in a bare box, I personally would expect the bellhousing edges to cut through the sides of the box during handling, no matter who the shipping company is. Ironically, I shipped out a Lakewood steel bellhousing last year, and it arrived undamaged, no doubt due to the extra measures I went through to package it securely.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:16 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
I worked as a Manufacturing Engineer for a large lighting manufacturer in the early to mid-90's. Part of my responsibility was designing the packaging for the finished product. Every product had to survive a standardized 9-drop test using a free-fall drop tester. The latest version of this pacgaging standard (which UPS has adopted as of January 3, 2005) is the International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) 3A. Take a look at the standard and see if your order was adequately packaged. It should have been packed in a double-wall corrugated box.

Back when I was using FedEx Ground one of their counter personnel rejected the packaging of one of my Steering Braces. To put it mildly I was more than a bit miffed. I asked to see the Supervisor and offered to do a 9-point drop test of the package for them on the spot. The counter person had no clue what I was talking about, but the Supervisor looked at the package, asked what it contained and agreed it was adequately packaged.

Lon