Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

tbichips.com = A+

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86IROC/91RS
Engine: 305tpi/305tbi
Transmission: 700r4's
tbichips.com = A+

I just received my stage 2 chip from tbichips.com. I bought it off of ebay for $54.00 shipped, including full instructions and 170* thermostat. 10-20 min job = lots of fun in the end! Just wanted to give 2 thumbs up to them! I'm sure I'd get a little more out of it if I learned how to tune it myself...but for that kinda money you can't go wrong IMO. Only mods done to the car is tbi mods...next is 3.42 gears and shorty headers?
Old 01-03-2004, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I've been looking at tbi chips.com myself and have heard alot of good things about them. But what's the main difference between their stage 1 and stage 2 chips? I thought stage 2 chips were only for engines with lots of mods, but I see you don't have that many mods and it worked fine.

I have a stock 305 tbi with nothing but ultimate tbi mods, which chip should I get?

I don't care about smog or gas milege.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:43 PM

Well, it depends on what you're planning for the car. If you're going to leave it basically stock with the free mods, then stage 1 would be just fine. From what I've understood about the differences, is that stage 2 adds a little more timing at WOT, it's a little bit more aggressive than 1. It worked just fine in my stock car, but I have plans for bigger mods, so I will benifit from the chip in the long run....granted if I over-do it on the mods, I would have to have a chip custom made anyway. But for time-being...I noticed quite a difference on the butt-dyno. ( BTW it says they require 91+ gas....I use it anyway...but I can't tell much of a difference between regular. ) I'm sure more people can shed some light on this
Old 01-09-2004, 06:00 PM

Car: 89' IROCZ
Engine: 5.7 L98
Transmission: 700r4
Is thier website tbichips.com? or is there more to the site's address? I come up with not found for tbichips.com.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:06 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I don't know why but you have to type in the www
Old 01-10-2004, 03:06 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Transmission: 700R-4
did u notice any power increase? and if so where in the powerband and how much...
Old 01-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: Juiced 5.0 TBI - 300rwhp
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton Posi, 10 Bolt
do you guys have track times to back this up.

there was a test and posting on the TBI board where the person actualy got slower with a stage2 chip from him.

IMHO there is NO replacement for doing it yourself.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:24 PM

I don't disagree dewey, I think tuning it yourself is far superior than buying one already programmed...don't get me wrong, but for $54 shipped isn't exactly pricey. On the other hand I do believe I'll learn how to burn my own chips later on down the road. I think it will be an interesting and useful experience.
( BTW I did buy this chip off ebay, he has all kinds of them for trucks,cars etc etc...check it out. )

I did notice an increase in power around 2000-4500RPMS, from a roll there is quite a difference between the stocker chip and this one.....

It is a stage 2 chip....they don't really recommend putting a stage 2 on a pretty much stock car, ( that's what the stage1 is for ) but if you plan to add on to the mod list, then you can benefit it's performance even greater.

With a set of headers and maybe some underdrive pulleys, you could easily see more out of it....
but taking it to the next level with a aftermarket intake, porting/polish the heads,lt1 cam, and free flowing exhaust, I think you could really put up some HP #'s using this chip. I know that's quite a bit of mods to do, but just think of the possibilities.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:22 AM
Supreme Member

the real problem is it is very hard to predict how given mods will effect a given car. i can tell you that there was quite a bit of tuning required to get a near perfect tune for just headers on my car, and i still haven't nailed it. if you are talking cam swaps, i don't trust an pre-made chip. i have seen the big boys custom chips (not going to name names, but these are the well known 'custom turners' for thirdgens) where you have to give them EVERYTHING about your engine, and i have looked at the changes they make, and the stock bins, and the results, and trust me it doesn't add up. you just can't guess at this stuff. IMNSHO, buying a chip like this is $54 that you could have used to put into the $150 it takes to get into tuning yourself.

to put HP/$$$ ratio back at ya here. i challange you to go to the track. run the stage II chip in your car, then next run, put the stocker in. give me your ET and Traps. then compare them to what some of my first gains i saw with a custom chip. (no science involved in my first chips, i ran the aldltobin converter program from JPrevost, and advanced the spark 4*, nothing ANYONE couldn't do in several hours, even if they know nothing about this) and we will compare. by just running jon's program, and added some spark, i dropped almost a full second, and added 6mph to my traps.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:29 PM

I don't doubt you a bit, infact I envy you simply because you have the know-how to burn your own chips....granted it's not rocket science...but still. 150 for getting started burn chips ehh? Could you give me a run down list of what it takes to start my own, I'm really interested in this...but money is tight for me now. ( gives me something to save for atleast. )

I've been thinking...TBI chips states that you should return factory timing to specs before installing chip.....? Well it was at factory to begin with, so I didn't have to mess with it...but the question is, can I advance it to say...6* -- or does the chip automatically advance it to something near that??
Old 01-13-2004, 11:43 PM

Car: 1991 Formula (sold)
is he a member here???

I have seen his web site, he said that he has over 5 yrs experience with prom burning.

I love to see trax, glenn, grumpy pool their knowledge together and work up proven combo chips. I wouldn't mind paying them for their knowledge, they certainly know there stuff hint hint

Come on guys just think of all of the extra money you could have buying more mods for your 3rd gens
Old 01-13-2004, 11:58 PM

Car: '87 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: Auto
Project-ROC,

The reason you need higher octane is because they change the timing curve in the chip. Higher timing curve means the engine is more likely to start pinging without up-ing the octane level, basically.

If you do a search, I know I've seen a few threads about what you need to start burning chips, and specifically where to get them and for how much, and I'm not even into chip burning, so I'm sure there's plenty of info there, just go to the DIY PROM board.

About advancing the timing more than factory specs...what the chip does is advance the curve in addition to what the initial advance is. This is the reason you set your timing with the ESC wire disconnected, so no additional advance is seen when the engine is running, and you can properly set the 'real' initial timing to spec, or preference.
If you have it set at 0* and the chip commands 15*, you will get 15* timing (at that instant in time of operation). If you had the initial set to 6* and the chip commands 15*, you will get 21* timing at that instant of operation. Rememer that the chip looks up its values from tables and commands these things, it has no idea what your initial timing is at, it's 'stupid' in a sense. So under the same operating conditions and load, etc, the chip will command the same timing adjustment. The knock sensor is the engine's only defense against this sort of thing, but you dont want to have the KS start pulling timing.
So anywayyss, that is why they recommend setting to factory specs. Because their chips are made to run with it set at spec, no more. Running more base timing will even more-so require higher octane than normal.

This is to the best of my knowledge, if someone can add to or correct me on this, please do.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:40 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 87Formula4bbl
This is to the best of my knowledge, if someone can add to or correct me on this, please do.
That is correct.

i am going to add to this, as this seems to be a TBI specific board.

Factory timing is set straight up 0* initial timing. there are two ways to advance timing (well more than that, but we will call it two)

1) manualy, turn the dizzy, use a timing light

2) in the chip

now, if you want a little more pep from your TBI car, get out your timing and set your initial timing to 4* or 6* this is basicly all a "performance" chip is that you buy from someone. our cars are rich from the factory, they don't need more fuel. give them more timing, and it will have a leaning effect, and you should be in good shape with a stock car. you WILL notice those 6* of timing.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:44 PM

AHH!!! Well thanks everyone for clearing that up...I wasn't sure exactly what it would do or not, now I'm little more educated in the computer field...I find it interesting when you can change practically everything about the vehicle with a couple clicks of a button etc etc...But thanks again for the info, that's what this boards for right?! Ride on my friends....ride on