Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

WARNING!!! why i will never buy form ASCD again

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 92 TA vert
Engine: LS1
Originally posted by Rex Orr
Hello Guys i think it is a mold problem i have had moldspast I have learned from my mistakes and try to do better now. Rex Orr

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...ghlight=gtauto

WOW look what i found!!!!!

Sooooo is both of my cars bent????

Did i just get an old hood from a bad mold from before? that link was for the ram air 2. hmmm same hood i bougth form him. at almost the same time i bought it too.

TPl383 is a restocking fee the norm on a defective product? i did not even want a refund i wanted an other hood.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
I've had the RA II hood on my 88 Formula for a few months and the fit was pretty decent.
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/formula/ram_air.jpg
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/formula/ram_air2.jpg
The 2 pics above were taken right after the hood was installed with no adjustments made.

In the following 4 pictures, the hood latch and bump stops had been lowered.
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/formula/hood1.jpg
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/formula/hood2.jpg
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/formula/hood3.jpg
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/formula/hood4.jpg
Here is a video clip showing the RA II hood, http://www.transamws6.com/video/Formula.wmv

This is the RA I hood I got from LT1 Guy (traded the RA II hood with him and Red Raif).
Just did basic alignment and hood latch adjustments.
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/formula/ra1_1.jpg
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/formula/ra1_2.jpg
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/formula/ra1_3.jpg
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/formula/ra1_4.jpg
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/formula/ra1_5.jpg

The ramairhoods.com RA II hood looks like it fits much worse around the drivers side headlight pocket. J's TA has this hood on his 82 Trans Am.
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/82_ta/front_hood.jpg
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/82_ta/front_pass.jpg
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/82_ta/front_pass2.jpg
Old 11-23-2003, 12:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro
Engine: 355ci
Transmission: TKO-600 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt
Originally posted by trigger GTA
[url]TPl383 is a restocking fee the norm on a defective product? i did not even want a refund i wanted an other hood.
For most honest businesses there is a 15% restocking fee if you send it back just because you decided you didnt want it. There should never be a restocking fee on a defective product but from the sounds of it ASCD is not treating it like a defective product but a return.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:58 PM
TGO Supporter

yeah seems to be a thin line between returns and losing money.

i had no clue that the hood spring fit on the wrong side and couldnt be used, and then when i test fitted it, it was not really close to fitting.

Old 11-23-2003, 04:01 PM

Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: AUTOMATIC
HOODS

Can any other owners of the RAM AIR 1 and RAM AIR II hoods
tell me if they all exspose the engine compartment from the
rear of the hood. I was looking at the pic's of the RAM AIR I
ZEPHER posted. looks like water and derbis is easy to get in.
pretty big gap. Did someone cut it out, or do they come like that.
Thanks.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Trans Am 'Vert
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed
Zephers hood was cut out in the back... they come from the factory closed.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 88 WS6 TransAm GTA
Zephers hood was cut out in the back... they come from the factory closed.
Yes, it was cut out by LT1_Guy.

My RA II hood had vents on the rear of it,
Old 11-23-2003, 10:32 PM

hood

Man, you really help with the pic. Thank you.
If my GTA dont sell on e-bay, I will trick it out and keep it.
I want the ram air I, but scared i am going to have the same
problem, like everyone else. Oh well, we will see what happens.
Thanks
Old 11-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Re: HOODS

Originally posted by 81LT4
Can any other owners of the RAM AIR 1 and RAM AIR II hoods
tell me if they all exspose the engine compartment from the
rear of the hood. I was looking at the pic's of the RAM AIR I
ZEPHER posted. looks like water and derbis is easy to get in.
pretty big gap. Did someone cut it out, or do they come like that.
Thanks.
I cut it out...first a little bit to clear the wipers (one of them hit), then a litle more to let out underhood heat better. The car it was going on wasn't going to be a daily driver, more of a nice weekend car, so rain/dirt wouldn't be much of an issue. BTW the hood fits Zephers car much better than it fit mine (tighter gaps), though I was satisfied with the fit on mine also. It just shows that no two cars are identical, esp after 11+ years. I have owned or sold hoods made by everybody, and honestly they all suck in some way or another. Some just fit particular cars better than others.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:45 PM

HOODS

Thanks for the reply LT1
Old 11-24-2003, 04:07 PM
Supreme Member

The RA 1 hood is going to end up on my 86 Trans Am which is going to be my Road Racing car. It's on the Formula so it doesn't get damaged in my garage.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:35 PM

HHOD

Hey, you think the person that own's the 62 impala behind you wants to sell it. if they do i will pay you for your time. thanks.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Supreme Member

I can ask him and see what he says.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:04 PM

THANKS, AGAIN

K
Old 11-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Supreme Member

Zepher

that ra2 fitment suck too!! That one is some what better. but still sucks. you can see in pic 3 even after you lowered the bump stops and latch its still sitting way to high in the head light area. i bet it was resting on the upper rad suport.

who made that ra2?

the ra1 fitment looks 1000X better from the pics you have there. did you make any extra adjustments from the ra2? or did you just drop it on and its that much better? that one you can work with
Old 11-24-2003, 07:13 PM
Supreme Member

Both of my hoods were from ASCD.
Only adjustments made with the RA 1 was raise the latch and the bump stops since there is no provision for the spring, so the bump stops sorta pop the hood up a bit so it can unlatch.

We did play with hinges a bit to align it, but that is all.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:53 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, LT1
Transmission: TKX, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23
I've got a datona fiberglass hood for my firebird. Not acsd, but anyway. It doesn't even come CLOSE.. I gotta retap the holes on the side for the hinges and pull it back.

I run a small parts yard, and have acess to any metal hood I want.t hey all fit no prob so it aint the car. Its the hood.

I think the aftermarket fiberglass hoods just don't work very well

-- Joe
Old 11-30-2003, 11:56 PM

locations

i was really set on getting a ram air II hood. where is ram air hoods.com and ACSD located in relation to LA, cali. i wonder if i drove my car to them they could get me one that came close to fitting. im only 17, but the few business deals that i have done, it seems everything happens more effiecently in person.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:15 AM

whoa, tennessee and florida. o well, i think im going with the ramair.com hood. even the hood on the ACSD showcar does not fit perfect. the one on ram air.com looks a lot better.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro
Engine: 355ci
Transmission: TKO-600 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt
Originally posted by anesthes
I think the aftermarket fiberglass hoods just don't work very well

-- Joe
This is the issue because people are paying for professional quality hoods (500-600 dollars after shipping and taxes) and getting home made quality parts.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991Firebird T/A
Engine: 350
Transmission: Modified Viper t-56
Axle/Gears: dana 44, 3.55
its just a bad mold period. If ASCD had any type of customer relations, they would not making him pay a restocking fee for a hood that was no good.

Who knows, maybe it was just a bad run or whatever, but the hoods are not even close... the bodies are not THAT FAR out of alignment...

Hell, my harwood cowl hood went on my 86 and my 91 just fine... the 86 had been hit on both sides of the nose more than once, and the 91 was never hit... the hood fit the hit car better!

I know they aren;t all going to be great and right on, but lemme tell ya what, when your talking 600 bucks for a hood, i better damn well be getting something good for that!

I'll be going with GT fiberglass myself, regardless of the complaints, they make good pieces. Plus the fact that they are only 15 minutes from my house now helps :-D
Old 05-02-2004, 06:17 AM

Car: Custom 1992 Camaro Z28 25th Anniver
Engine: 5.7L V8 350 L98 TPI
You know, Have you ever noticed that the hood appears to fit on the Camaro but not on the firebird. There is no way that the hood would fit perfectly on the Camaro AND on the firebird simply because the nose of the firebird is pointed where as the Camaro retains the box-like form.

If you look at the front of a 3rd gen Firebird you can easily see that the structure where the headlights are, are angled down towards the center of the car. Where as on the Camaro, it is straight.

Look at the pictures of the Camaro
http://www.americansportscardesigns....ages/s-850.jpg
and the firebird http://www.americansportscardesigns....ges/ta-800.jpg you can easily see the slant I am referring to.

It seems it was framed to fit a Camaro and ASSUMED it would also fit a Firebird.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:04 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you may be on to something, camarosource. One mold for both cars would certainly save some time and money. Just cut the Camaro mold to make a Firebird hood. Damn...
Old 05-02-2004, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by CaysE
I think you may be on to something, camarosource. One mold for both cars would certainly save some time and money. Just cut the Camaro mold to make a Firebird hood. Damn...
Yes. I thought at first that there was 2 versions of the hood (with the slight angle difference) for the firebird and Camaro, however I was surprized to see that BOTH hoods on the side for the Camaro and the Firebird are BOTH TA-800...

NOOOOooo.. Wait a second.. I could SWEAR (bet money on it) that it said both were TA-800 last night.. Now it appears the website was updated. There are now 2 versions.

TA-800 : Firebird
S-850 : Camaro

Sooooo... It seems he received the WRONG version! He received the Camaro Version (flat headlight) rather than the Firebird version (slight angle)..
Old 05-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Trans Am 'Vert
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed
Guys, hate to break it to ya, but theres no way possible that they just cut out the headlights in a camaro hood and used it for a firebird. Both hoods are totally different... different dimensions, and the fact that the camaro hood curves down quickly when it meets the bumper where the firebird is flat.

Its just a case of a poor mold, and will hopefully be fixed soon.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by 88 WS6 TransAm GTA
Guys, hate to break it to ya, but theres no way possible that they just cut out the headlights in a camaro hood and used it for a firebird. Both hoods are totally different... different dimensions, and the fact that the camaro hood curves down quickly when it meets the bumper where the firebird is flat.

Its just a case of a poor mold, and will hopefully be fixed soon.
Actually no one here said they used a camaro hood and cut it out to fit a Camaro. I said in my message above that it looks like you perhaps got the Camaro version as there are two WS6 hoods.. one is TA-850 (Firebird) and the other the Camaro version (S-800). Both look identicle but you can see in the pics that the camaro version is flat, where as the firebird one is angled. TGRIGGER said his didn't fit which you can clearly see in his pics that the hood above the lights is perfectly FLAT which seems to indicate that is the Camaro version (S-800) rather than the Firebird one (TA-850).

That could account for some who claim it does not fit (which so far all the pics I've come across on the msgboard has shown the exact same thing (FLAT above lights) and others reported no problems. It seems to indicate those with the flat hood is a Camaro S-800 and the ones who have no problems received the CORRECT TA-850.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Supreme Member

i beleive that they have a mold for each car.

i personaly think that the car ASCD used is a POS. i have seen in other post by REX pics of the white rusted out junker of a bird he was using for the fitting of the hood. i also seen post by him where he admitted to having issues with the Ram AIR II hood mold.

when i got a chance to talk with Rex on the phone and discribed how and what was not fitting Rex knew exactly what i was talking about. He even discribed a few things that i had not seen at first.

i do however think that the 2 hood have no similarity in mold and that i did infact get the right one.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by trigger GTA
i beleive that they have a mold for each car.

i personaly think that the car ASCD used is a POS. i have seen in other post by REX pics of the white rusted out junker of a bird he was using for the fitting of the hood. i also seen post by him where he admitted to having issues with the Ram AIR II hood mold.

when i got a chance to talk with Rex on the phone and discribed how and what was not fitting Rex knew exactly what i was talking about. He even discribed a few things that i had not seen at first.

i do however think that the 2 hood have no similarity in mold and that i did infact get the right one.
I have great experience with ASCD. When I received the hood in the truck, the person who stocked the truck put the hood on it's end on the edge of the truck with a HUGE GAP on the other side. The box ended up EXPLODING OPEN where you can see just about the entire hoodin the truck with the cardboard just covering the hood with NO PROTECTION. The wrapped corners were still intact. Once in the house I expected the WORST.. Was shocked that there were no damage (or so I thought). Upon removing the wrapping on the back corned I discovered 1" of each corner was BROKEN RIGHT OFF.

Rather than going into detail here.. I didn;'t want to pay to have it sent back, then a new one sent back only to perhaps have the same thing happen. So I accepted the hood, had it fitted to the car, painted, and corners mended back. Cost me $80 to have the corners fixed.

I called ASCD because they asked me to call them back to let them know how everything went. I mentioned the corners and how the box was EXPLODED in the delivery truck but didn't expect anything nor was asking for anything. They offered to PAY for the damages even though it was clearly NOT their fault.

However they offered to send me a check for $80 and insisted on paying.. I was shocked! now THAT IS A REAL COMPANY! That showed me that truely care for their products and their customers. They did NOT have to do that because it was clearly not their fault.. Amazing.. For that, they get a HUGE A+++ from me.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:56 AM

Car: 1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: 305
Transmission: WorldClass T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70
Just FYI for everyone... I ordered mine from ramairhood.com and it fits quite well. Not perfect mind you, but good. The only noticeable item is the alignment of the driver headlight just above the turn signal. This could have easily been corrected by the shop that painted it if they had given a crap... If you use affiliate code 335, they will give 5% off... not much, but at least it is something.

Old 05-16-2004, 06:12 PM

Car: 1989 GTA Nighthawk
Engine: 389 CID TPI
Transmission: TCI 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.23
I got mine from G & T Fiberglass. It's not a perfect fit, but it's pretty darn close. If I ever get time I can probably get it better.

http://www.gtautoacc.net/
Attached Thumbnails WARNING!!!  why i will never buy form ASCD again-front1s.jpg  
Old 10-14-2006, 09:07 PM

Car: 1982 Recaro T/A
Engine: 305 w/Carter carb.
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: stock
Ok, Idiot question. but I don't want to read the whole thread

ASCD? What does that stand for?

I'm buying one of these hoods pretty soon you see
Old 10-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

wow this is an old link,

ASCD=American Sports Car Design
Old 10-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro SC, 1999 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350HO, LS1
Transmission: Built 700r4/EDGE 3200, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton 7.625, 3.42 Zexel Torsen
wow, whats with the nuggets pulling up all these old threads...
Old 10-14-2006, 10:13 PM

Car: 1982 Recaro T/A
Engine: 305 w/Carter carb.
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: stock
Just saw it in a signature. that's all.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28 (sold)
Originally Posted by Badass_recaro
Just saw it in a signature. that's all.
same here....makes me not want to get any aftermarket fiberglass hood. this is a good thread
Old 10-14-2006, 11:01 PM
AC
Supreme Member

Car: Used to drive a camaro
Sorry to hear that. I've had a moderately bad experience on another type of part with a well known vendor and sponser here recently (not hood related). Regarding ASCD though I had a VERY good experience with them regarding quality, shipping and customer service. The only thing I didnt' like about it was the obvious seems of the bottom and top halfs of the hood. I solved that (see pix) but that's the ONLY complaint I have. I had a very good experience. Let me explain about my SS hood for my 91 Camaro:
1.The hood was shipped to me very well packaged
2. I didn't receive the center plastic SS insert (they shipped one to me @ no charge)
3. The fit was I dare say better than factory
Attached Thumbnails WARNING!!!  why i will never buy form ASCD again-lrdscn4188.jpg   WARNING!!!  why i will never buy form ASCD again-lrp0001393.jpg  
Old 10-15-2006, 10:11 AM

Car: 89 Trans AM GTA, 99 Olds Alero GLS
Engine: TPI 350 L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 3.27
I have nothing but good things to say about ASCD. I ordered my Ram Air II hood from them and I love it. It was cheaper than most places and the service was great. It was delivered promtly also.

On your note about the corners sticking up, mine do well should I say did stick up too. I put hood pins in mine and it fixed it. That is something everyone with a fiberglass hood should do anyways, unless you dont plan on going fast Those hoods could fly off your car. There is a thread on that somewhere on TGO. Air going right up in the nose wouldnt take much to lift it from the brackets.

Also I used my old hood spring, it bolts right up in place. There was even holes pre-drilled in my hood for that and hardware.

Well anyways, I love my hood and give ASCD thumbs up for everything.

Last edited by Metalhead; 10-15-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:57 AM

Car: 88 Iroc vert
Engine: 305 tpi. cts-v brakes
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23
i read the whole thread.i will not buy from them.this is why we have forums,to
discuss things like this and getting them resoved for all to see.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:41 PM

Car: '87 IROC
Engine: Puny 305
Transmission: 5sp
Axle/Gears: 3.08 LSD
At the risk of adding to an old thread, which was awaken by someone else...

Has ASCD had the same problems with fitment on their Camaro RamAir hood? I'm interested in getting an aftermarket hood that has something useful to replace those insane louvers on the stocker. Some cold air scoops would be nice additions.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:22 PM

Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: 584
Transmission: TSI Glide
Axle/Gears: Quick performance 9 inch
I have a ACSD 4 inch cowl hood and have had it on the car for the better part of 6 years with no incidents and lots of high speeds and drag strip times.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 PM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: LB9 TPI V8
Transmission: automatic
Re: WARNING!!! why i will never buy form ASCD again

Hi Bro! Sorry to here you about your hood. I bought one off Kijiji local. Went to pick it up 20mins away. Lucked out didn't really want to order one from the United States cost a way to much. But can't find a place here that sells then. Bought it local for $350 sweet deal. What a pain in the A$$ to line up though. Thought I was going to have to turn around and sell it. I liked it to much just to give up. Looks good now. Car is ready for paint now. Well what I'm saying if you really like the Ram Air hood don't give up try another place that sells them do research. Cheers Bro....

Name:  TAwithhoodaligned.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  772.9 KB

Name:  my86transamfirebirdwallpaper5.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  224.5 KB
Old 06-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92Z28, 99SS, 83Z28 & 86GTA
Engine: 421, LS1, 327Turbo & 383
Transmission: T-56, 4L60E, T5 & 4L60