Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

GMPartsDirect.com ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GMPartsDirect.com ???

Hey Guys I gotta get a few new parts for my Camaro, Fender, headlight support and new front clip. On DeadBirds page he has a link to www.GMPartsDirect.com Does anyone know if they are real GM parts or if they are good. Any information would be a great help.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:00 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 LG4 & 92 TBI Firebird
Engine: The Mighty 305!
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I've ordered like 5 or 6 times. No problems and I got everything quickly.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 pontiac TA
Engine: 360 HSR
Transmission: 700r4 3300 yank converter
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt
try here for aftermarket pieces. usually about half price.

http://www.autobodypartswholesale.co..._pc=474&cat=76
Old 09-10-2002, 08:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: .040" over 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt with 3.45s
gmpartsdirect.com has great prices. The problem is the shipping cost. I take the gmpartsdirect.com price down to my local dealer and use it to negotiate.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:58 AM
TGO Supporter

Location: Avatar: My 34' 1989 Scarab III w/ twin 454's (502's Started!)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Wellcraft Scarab III
Engine: Twin 454's
Axle/Gears: Twin Mercruiser Bravo I's
I've purchased nearly $2,000 worth of parts to date (including my latest order) and I have always received the parts quickly and with no trouble. They are GM. They are actually a part of Flow Chevrolet. There shipping can be high, but in the end you still save considerable money over the other options.

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:09 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
I agree they are reasonably priced compared to your local Dealer. But when you add the high s&h they charge to the low-ball price they quote, they wind up the same or higher than my preferred supplier. Also, they shorted an order of mine. I discovered it when I verified the count against what I'd ordered. I searchd in vain for a phone number to call and found none. The only way to communicate with them is by e-mail. They did get back to me to let me know they had caught the error and had already shipped the balance of the order. Now you may ask, "What is wrong with that?". If they had been pro-active and e-mailed or phoned me that they had shorted the order, caught the order and corrected it, rather than letting their customer find out and waste their time trying to contact them, they could have prevented a needlessly upset customer in the first place.

Lon Salgren
Top-Down Solutions
Old 09-13-2002, 08:06 PM

I agree, gmpartsdirect.com does have very very high shipping costs. They are genuine gm parts. I ordered a set of T-top gaskets and paid close to 15.00 EACH for shipping. Something that should have cost 10.00 max and they both arrived in the same box?!?!? I do work at a chevy dealer and was forced to buy from gmpartsdirect.com due to availability. My dealer couldnt get me any for a month or so I coughed up the extra cash. BEWARE of the shipping costs!

Jay
Old 09-13-2002, 08:49 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
From GMPartsdirect.com's FAQ's:

Why are your parts so inexpensive? Is this for real?

Yes our prices are for real! We sell only original current production OE GM Parts. Parts and prices listed on our site are based off GM pricing. We can sell this low only because of our volume of parts sales. You can see exactly where we make our profit in our handling fee less the actual shipping cost, employee, web, and ”brick and mortar associated cost”, etc. That is why we have to strictly adhere to our site polices, one of which is no phone calls please . We can help you in every way by email. We are on a very low profit margin and to keep the overall prices low the Internet department does not have a phone staff. In almost all cases your to the door price is less than wholesale, without using a wholesale license or going to your local GM dealer. On large items, if there is an additional shipping and handling fee, you will be notified and asked for approval after placing your order. Feel free to email customer service if you have any questions or contact your local GM dealer with the part numbers listed to compare our prices. If someone other than gmpartsdirect wants to sell you what appears to be Genuine GM Parts that are well below our prices, BEWARE! The Parts could be imitations. Unfortunately, fake auto parts have become a serious problem in recent years. And it doesn't just hurt companies such as GM — it hurts you, the person buying the parts, as well. It's worth your while to read on and find out more about this problem. If you want more info on counterfeit parts copy this address in your browser to see GM website on this issue. http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/dhtml/pa...nterfeit.shtml

Why does shipping and handling fee seem so high?

Gmpartsdirect.com sells parts near published dealer cost plus a percentage for a shipping and handling fee. This fee is not UPS charges only. The shipping and handling pays for the shipping charges plus our other expenses like web programming, employees, etc. Another way to explain this is, we are selling you the part near published dealer cost, the shipping, and handling pays all of our expenses associated with running the web site. The amount left over after our expense is our profit. Keep in mind our overall price is a tremendous savings over retail price and in most cases is even cheaper than dealer wholesale shipped to your doorstep, and without leaving the convenience of the Mouse. Compare the overall price delivered to your door.

You see, they admit the low-ball price they quote is made up with their higher s&h. Add it together to get the TRUE cost of buying the product from them. As I wrote before, I have another vender I prefer that DOES take phone calls, calls ME if there is a problem with the order and e-mails me as well.

Lon
Old 09-14-2002, 12:44 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 LG4 & 92 TBI Firebird
Engine: The Mighty 305!
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I will admit that the s/h is really high, esp if you are buying alot of little, cheap parts. But for big or expensive items, they seem pretty good. I got a sway bar for $45 plus $8 shipping. In town, the dealer wanted $75 plus 7.6% sales tax. On my last order, with s/h gmpartsdirect was $10 less then in town with tax, and that was on a $50 order. In town, would have had to make 2 special trips to the dealer, one to place my order and prepay, then another a week later to pick up the parts. I rather have the parts delivered to me.

If I need alot of little parts, I order from Dal.

Last edited by Justins86bird; 09-14-2002 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:53 AM
TGO Supporter

I guess the reason the shipping hasn't been so bad to me is because I am in Virginia and they are in North Carolina. I suppose that the shipping itself is much less because of this short distance and the only hike is in their profit making. Anyway, for me, no one could beat the prices even after adding the shipping.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Originally posted by mrr23
try here for aftermarket pieces. usually about half price.

http://www.autobodypartswholesale.co..._pc=474&cat=76
Holy sh*t!!! $133 for a brand new Z-28 Hood???....and $60 for a brand new fender????

No way!!! Something must be wrong here?

Do I have to order like 50 of them or something?
Old 09-16-2002, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
how do you get the prices at gmpartsdirect?
Old 09-16-2002, 07:52 PM

Car: 1990 RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH-350
i just picked up a a/c delete pulley from gmpartsdirect.com and it was 44 and some change shipped. dealer here wanted 65 plus tax plus a two week wait!! btw shipping i think was 8 bux for the pulley.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:11 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by Rage13
how do you get the prices at gmpartsdirect?
Go to http://www.gmpartsdirect.com and enter the part number if you have it. If not you can ask them for the part number which they will provide you and then you enter it.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:06 PM

living in VA also means you get the parts like next day even at regular ground its sweeeet! i never can find the part i need on their site so i always need help.
Old 09-29-2002, 01:07 AM
KiLLJ0Y

how come it wont show you ANY parts unless you have the part #??????? even when i use the search buttons, select a make, model, and everything... then select ANY DAMN part, it shows up as "no items were found"?????

what the hell is that all about???
Old 09-29-2002, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: Formerly - 87 T/A, 87 Bird.
Originally posted by lonsal
Now you may ask, "What is wrong with that?". If they had been pro-active and e-mailed or phoned me that they had shorted the order, caught the order and corrected it, rather than letting their customer find out and waste their time trying to contact them, they could have prevented a needlessly upset customer in the first place.

Lon Salgren
Top-Down Solutions
Well sorry to tell ya that seems to be the deal in the autoparts business. I work at an auto parts store and when we order things from our suppliers and they don't have it they'll ship all of the order except what they didn't have, and not tell us. Oh well.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:25 PM

just for everyones information "gunuine gm parts" are not the exact same parts that are on your vehicle, or new vehicles, they are made on a totally different press...

when you buy aftermarket you need to think of fit and quality, is it capa certified?

i work for www.keystone-auto.com , and we are the worlds largest aftermarket supplier. our prices may be higher but we have different programs unlike other suppliers. we supply lifetime warranty for our parts, so if they rust 30 years from now when your cars a classic it will cost you nothing, they will be replaced. we will pay to have the parts repainted.

these are just some of the reasons that keystone auto is the number one aftermarket supplier...