Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

How long did you wait for AFR heads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: treefitty
Transmission: stick
How long did you wait for AFR heads?

I've been waiting for my AFRs for 4 weeks now. From what I understand they take a casting and prepare each set of heads per order. So, to any and all of you proud AFR head owners; how long did you wait for your heads?
Old 05-08-2002, 08:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 Buick GN
Engine: 3.8L (231 cid) V6
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt G80/ 3.42
It took about 2 weeks for mine...but that was back in '97.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird
Engine: Pontiac 301
Transmission: TH350
I waited about 6 weeks for mine.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:25 PM

5 weeks
Old 05-10-2002, 05:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Cars
Engine: SB
Transmission: manual
Axle/Gears: 9bolt
5 weeks
Old 05-11-2002, 02:26 AM

Thanks for the replies. I just found out that it'll take another week'n a half, according to the sales rep. He claims that it's due to an overwelming amounmt of orders that date back a couple of months. BTW I placed my order on the 7th of April.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:06 PM

wow

wow
Old 05-18-2002, 08:14 AM

Doesn't this make you guys wonder how long your car will sit at the curb if you need warranty work done?
Old 05-20-2002, 11:35 PM

To my surprise the heads arrived last monday. I beleive it was the 13th of May. So that makes it about 5 weeks. As luck would have it I have other cars and since the guy who owns the shop is my friend, I can keep my firebird w/him indefinetely.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '92 RS
****, this is not what I wanted to hear. I ordered a set of Stage 1 AFR LT1 heads from Excessive Motorsports 2 weeks ago. called yesterday to check and see when to expect them, first they couldnt even find my damn order. called right back on another number, found the order, but they said that they were supposed to order 4 sets from AFR but they only got 3. mine was the 4th set. called back today, only got the run around the whole time, never would give us a straight answer about the heads. so Im calling back on monday to try again.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:50 PM

They are worth the wait!!! Mine took around 5 weeks. The AFR head envy complex you will instill in all your peers is well worth an extra week or two. Chill and work on something else that needs the attention. You will be happy when you finally get to open up those shipping cartons. Good luck, Jack
Old 07-04-2002, 11:24 AM
Supreme Member

too late, already cancelled the order from Excessive, got tired of all of the crap. I ended up ordering the LT4 intake and heads from Scoggin Dickey, they'll be here beginning of next week. plus, I'll end up having about the same power.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:36 AM

Last edited by Z THANG; 07-12-2002 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Z THANG
Why order them from a reseller? I ordered my factory direct.

www.airflowresearch.com
This site is the reason to order from a reseller. Those resellers are paying to run thirdgen.org. By you steering everyone away from those resellers, you're essentially trying to sabotage this website.
Old 07-12-2002, 02:22 PM

Last edited by Z THANG; 07-12-2002 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Z THANG
Pardon me. I was not trying to sabatoge your site

Was just trying to help folks save some cash.

Maybe you should check out a php board, there free.

The publicity is great for these part suppliers but I find it surprising that you need them to run a board. Sorry again.

Another reason to buy from a reseller is because it's always CHEAPER. This is a rule of thumb in internet shopping. The manufacturer prefers that you deal w/one of their resellers that's why they will give them(resellers) a much lower price and thus you get a lower price in turn. As to why this is so, I'll let you figure it out.
BTW how much did you pay to AFR w/shipping?
Old 07-12-2002, 03:24 PM

Last edited by Z THANG; 07-12-2002 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2002, 03:55 AM

I thought so, son.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:35 AM

Look, I erased my post because my intentions weren't to start an argument. I am new to the board and having run sites with discount-hosting.com for only $10 a YEAR, and using a phpBB which is better and FREE, I guess I assumed the banners were just there because this was a Third Gen board. I never assumed you guys were actually using them to pay for this when there is the phpBB option.

Secondly, When I purchased my heads, NOBODY could beat the factory direct price from AFR. I checked around and they were the cheapest. I paid $1,225.00 for my heads. 195cc angle plug. They were shipped to my door for $1,280.00

Now, having said that....If you got a set of heads cheaper than that, which I seriously doubt, take into consideration that when resellers buy from AFR, they buy bare castings. They install their own parts into the castings. Huh? Yeah, they sure do. I know they buy in bulk and in turn get discounts, but most from my experience are higher than AFR direct prices. At least they use to be. I bought mine back in 2000, so prices may have changed.

As far as you calling me "SON".....I am 35 years old, so you must be one old fart if your wanting to be my Daddy.

Since you seem to feel superior to me on the subject, why don't you bring your bad @ss machine to Kentucky with Mommy's check book and well settle it on the track.
Old 07-13-2002, 11:53 AM

You apparently have no clue as to what a *successful* site requires. This site has already been kicked off of big name hosting companies because the traffic and CPU usage far exceeded their allowable limits. You're delusional if you think some hokey $10 a month hosting company is going to support what we require. This site is on it's own dedicated server, as in no one shares this machine with us. We exceed 80 to 100 gigs of traffic per month. Currently, the advertising does not yet exceed our operating costs. This site is running at a loss and always has. Such is the nature of a non-profit entity.

If you think that using free bulletin board software is going to eliminate operating costs, you obviously have never run a successful website.

As for AFR selling for cheaper, my AFR 190's (upgraded later to 195's) through Thunder Racing cost me $1275.00 base price, plus upgrades. Guess how much they're listed on AFR's website? Yep, you guessed it, $1275.

Your assumption that resellers buy bare castings and install the parts themselves is also grossly mistaken. I won't say that no resellers do that, but my AFR's (remember, ordered through Thunder Racing) came assembled and shipped direct from AFR themselves.

The point of this whole thing was that you are trying to steer everyone away from ordering parts through third-party vendors because you claim that it's cheaper, better, etc. You are spreading misinformation and that bothers me. Not only do those third party vendors supply excellent products, prices, and services, but they also pay to support this site, unlike AFR.
Old 07-13-2002, 04:46 PM
Supreme Member

I just wanted to say that Z Thang is right. I also have seen resellers putting their own stuff in AFR heads. The Stage 1's that I had originally ordered from Excessive Motorsports, they told us on the phone,

"We buy the bare castings from AFR then put our own valves, springs, retainers, and all of that stuff on them."

While this is not a direct quote of what they guy said, you get the idea of what we were told. Plus, we called AFR to get some more info on the heads, and they told us basically the exact same thing. But, Im not about to say that ALL places do this, because I'm pretty sure that they dont. Besides, they were going to cost me just over $1400 just for the 180cc from Excessive. So Im glad I cancelled the order. Apparently prices have gone up some.

just thought I'd give my experience.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:57 PM

"As far as you calling me "SON".....I am 35 years old, so you must be one old fart if your wanting to be my Daddy.

Since you seem to feel superior to me on the subject, why don't you bring your bad @ss machine to Kentucky with Mommy's check book and well settle it on the track."

The reason for that post is because you left that stupid-little-face icon. I figured you were being a smart-***. If I mis-read the icon and your intentions I'll be the first to apologize. I'm 32, actually, and I'm the last guy to start any kind of flaming. I'm not sure what you mean about "Mommys' check book" but I guess that's just Kentucky humor. Nothing wrong w/that, I recon. No harm done either way, Pops. LOL.

On the other hand I did a lot of pricing on AFR heads and obviously I called AFR for a quote. The reseler I dealt with just gave me a better price. The heads were shipped from AFR not from him. That's how it usually works. What I paid for them is in this thread.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:16 AM

I forgive you
Old 07-15-2002, 12:25 AM

It took about 5 weeks to get mine. I ordered direct. Excellent choice.

The saleman gave me excellent advice and talked me out of buying the full port job saying that it would not be cost beneficial in my particular combination, but if I had more motor it would be a good choice.

He also sugessted the 74 cc heads which are closed chamber and had them milled down to 64 CC. Said this is a better way to go. I had the valve spring pockets machined to accomidate a roller cam springs someday, but had hydr flat tappet springs and shims installed with longer valves.

I would say that the service and professionalism was excellent and would recommend it to anyone.

I would have bought from one of our prefered vendors, but due to may level of questions I thought it better to go to the source.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
AFR Horror Story

order took 6+ weeks through 3rd party
bad advice got me strait plug not L98
Heads didn't fit the performer intake. 2 weeks on the phone- suggested "thicker gaskets", no intake must be defective!
wait rockers don't line up with guide plates, buy jesel adjustable ones
each cylinder's rockers line up differently- THIS IS A CNC HEAD????
sent heads intake and slp headers to Pecoima CA
no dude, its your intake it doesnt fit- direct quote from "TONY" the sales rep
But Tony it fits the bone stock all original 305 what gives. Dude its your intake. are you calling me a liar?

The show down...

Give me new heads, or i stop payment they dont fit i'm sending the intake back to edelbrock for inspection.

at this point i get yelled at, called a liar and basically hung up on.

4 hours later the phone rings, " hello this is Rick Sperling the owner of AFR"
your heads arent right, the intake bolt holes seem to be off we will make you new ones L98 style

whoopie!!

get the new heads, i paid an additional fee to upgrade to better springs 1500 total now plust shipping 2 sets of intske and head gaskets and 8 weeks of lost time.
Guess what ?? now the rockers line up with the provided guide plates!! 65 bucks for adjustable jesels in the crapper.

OH yeah and the intake ports are completely different now too

total 1700 dollars and 14 weeks waiting plus lost time at work/sleep/personal time building my motor and lots of aggevation.
When i planned this project i was going to get the vortec's, next time i will or at least Lingenfelter CNC ported L98 production heads ( same as AFR Total )

PS In a recent issue of PHR there is a Tony Mamo who designed their new great better than everything else bigblock heads. He moved from long Island NY just like the Tony i talked to, and i swear that my rep's last name was Mamo. Besides when you call and ask for Tony you don't need to specify a last name you get the same guy.

Interesting isn't it