Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Is my combination i hope that u fellow third camaro/firebird would like it

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2001, 10:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my combination i hope that u fellow third camaro/firebird would like it

Thanks for tuning in every body,
Heres my modifications,
New 305 block forged parts all around from crankshaft to pistons Edelbrock intake manifold ported plennum ported 88 corvette alluminum heads comp alluminum roller rockers and comp pushrods accel cam part #74211 cloys timing chain SLP runner 52mm Throttle bodie edelbrock TES headers and collecter 3 inch flowmaster exhaust system with free flowing catalityc converter hypertech coil and cap MSD 8.5mm wires and bosch plugs what do u think of my combination what range of horsepower do u think im in and what torque range do u think im in if u have anyone comment on my motor feel free to suggest anything but please lets not be harsh thanks for replying
Old 02-01-2001, 12:04 PM

Just a guess but based on the info you've given me I would say you're probably in the area of 275 HP! It is just a 305 afterall! There's no replacement for displacement!! You're torque it probably somewhere around 325-350 I would say! Not bad considering stock was about 195HP and 245TQ!! Just my opinion here tho'....don't shoot the messenger!!

------------------
1989 firebird formula

Mods: converted from T.B.I. to a carburator 305 to a 350. Flowmater exhaust,hedman shortie hedders,202 heads,350 horse cam,bored.40 over, Edlebrock torker2 and a 600 edlebrock manual choke.

Future mods performer rpm air gap intake (polished) comp roller cam, and way better headsa 400 defintely in the works!
Old 02-01-2001, 12:55 PM

Car: '98 Z
Engine: LS1/6
Transmission: 4l60E
do you have a vortech supercharger, or is that just the name ? what are the cam specs?

------------------
91 RS W/carbed 350, Vortec heads, performer rpm, Comp cams Xtreme energy 226/230 duration and .477/.480 lift. BFG Drag radials. 3.42 posi,Corvette servoed 700r4, ****ty stock converter. Edelbrock TES, 3inch cat, flowmaster with single 2.5 inch exit.
13.24@104
Old 02-02-2001, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

whats up ,
thanks for replying my specs on the camshaft which were from lingenfelter(ACCEL) are: intake/exhaust
gross valve lift .499"/.525"
duration@ .006" 270/ 282degrees
duration@ .050" .333"/.350"
cam lobe center 112 degrees
intake center line 108 degrees
valve timing@.050" open/btdc
Intake -2.5 degrees
open/bbdc
Exhaust 45.5 degrees
part # 74211 this came was specifically made for camaro/firebirds with open intake and free flowing exhaust.

now to your other question i was about to order a vorech supercharger but since i saw its results in CAR CRAFT i just didnt even bother but if your interested what i might do go to power adder in this page and find out what i might do to the motor. Basically im trying to show people what a 305 can do and shutting up mustangs is my goal thanks
Old 02-02-2001, 01:58 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 385 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Not to be nit-picky, but what you have labeled as "duration@ .050" .333"/.350" is actually the cam lift (before it's multiplied by the rocker arm ratio). The duration@ .050" is 211/219 degrees. Concerning your original question, I'd say you should be making around 300 horsepower with the combination of parts you listed, although that depends on having a good custom-burned chip to make it run right. Hint: There's nothing like burning your own chips and being able to continually fine-tune things.

------------------
Greg Westphal
'87 IROC 305TPI/A4
Old 02-02-2001, 02:13 PM
Banned

car craft doesnt know how to tune a blown car period. Thats why the camaro was so slow with 10#s of boost.

------------------
91 Formula
305 TPI 5speed
1LE/G92/WS6
w/GTA gfx,rims,hood

Paxton 10lb blower, SLP airfoil, ported/polished plenum, March pulleys, Crane AFPR(43psi),Crane Gold 1.6rrs,MSD coil,MSD6AL, Holley 9mm wires, fastchip, Bosch O2sensor, SLP headers & catback,short shifter,3:73s w/Auburn posi,160* t-stat,JET 195* fan switch, Macewen white face gauges, Autometer gauges, Zoom hi-performance clutch.
Old 02-02-2001, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member

Thnks for replying to be honest i was gonna get a chip from superchips to custom make one for my application but i was planning on getting a supercharger or nitrous but they say u need to retard timing ever 2 degrees after 100 hp and that would defeat that purpose. Now i would order the paxton superchargers just like the one u have but ive heard that the bars that hold the supercharger is made of cast and can break under hard acceleration, and they cook under 43,000 rpm so u must keep the motor at 4500 rpm or say good to by to the SC. Anyway can u tell me the price for installation for the supercharger and the result of the power and dependability it gave u thanks alot
vortech305
Old 02-02-2001, 09:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Engine: 4.0L
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 8.8 rear, 4.56 gears, 4:1 transfer
Originally posted by vortech305:
Heres my modifications,
New 305 block forged parts all around from crankshaft to pistons Edelbrock intake manifold ported plennum ported 88 corvette alluminum heads comp alluminum roller rockers and comp pushrods accel cam part #74211 cloys timing chain SLP runner 52mm Throttle bodie edelbrock TES headers and collecter 3 inch flowmaster exhaust system with free flowing catalityc converter hypertech coil and cap MSD 8.5mm wires and bosch plugs what do u think of my combination what range of horsepower do u think im in and what torque range do u think im in if u have anyone comment on my motor feel free to suggest anything but please lets not be harsh thanks for replying
I think you should start using commas and periods. I ran out of breath before I got through all your mods.

------------------
86 Camaro Sport
383 Speed-O-Motive Crate Engine, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge G2's, 58mm Accel TB, 3.73 Auburn Pro, SLP Cold Air Induction and Headers, Dynomax Cat-back, Serpentine Belt Setup, Dual IROC Fans, Jamex springs, 16" IROC Rims, 36mm/24mm Sway Bars, Global West Steering Brace. Hotchkis Rear LCA's,Panhard Bar and SFC's.
My Camaro Project
Old 02-03-2001, 05:15 PM
Supreme Member

lol
sorry i was just excited on all the parts i just purchased. It took me a year and a half to get each and every individual parts, thanks anyway
Old 02-04-2001, 05:53 AM
Banned

Heres my modifications,
Vortech, I assume you're asking for honesty so I'll be brutal here. Greg is right. All the performance TPI parts in the world will not make any more power without the proper tuning. There is no such thing as a remotely burned custom chip. There is no way for the burner to monitor your engines output or track performance. If an aftermarket chip helps a modified car then it is by pure luck. And even if it helps, it's likely to be nowhere near optimal. So you might not make any more power whatsoever... and that's not strictly hypothetical because I have seen this happen several times with TPI cars including my own.
The forged parts will not make any more power whatsoever, and if you're thinking TRW pistons? well they're not as good as you think they are (just look at the price). Stock cast pistons generally produce more power than forged pistons. The TRW's tend to crack in the skirt areas because they fit much looser than cast pistons. JE, SRP, and Ross are good pistons, but still unlikely to make any extra power.
And forged steel cranks are much heavier than cast cranks and more prone to cracking because they are harder.
I think the L98 corvette D-port heads are a good choice for your engine, but I personally prefer Harland Sharp rockers over Comp or Crane.
Oh and if you're talking about the Bosh-platinum tip sparkplugs? I have tested them several times and I think they are junk. I have tested a significant power gain by using Autolite#51 plugs (very cold range). The quality is tremendously better.
And as for the MSD wires.. I have tried those years ago. They impress the ohm-meter a little more than regular spiral-wound wires, but I have never shown any performance gain by using MSD wires... even after ohm-matching each wire&plug set.
I actually run the cheapo lifetime (red) plug wires from Auto-Zone in all my cars.
I have had both TES and SLP shorty headers. The SLPs are much better quality and allow your engine to make more power than the comparable TES. I have the SLP stainless 1.75" shorties & Y-pipe.
Yes the 1.75" is a little big for a 305 at part throttle & low RPMs, so a little less off idle torque, but he is wanting more power, so there it is. The extra size will really do no harm because the collector size is 2.5" identical to the TES, and all feeds into one 3" pipe which is hardly 'too open' for a 305.
I have had several Flowmasters in the past and have determined that they are all junk as far as performance goes. A strong rugged muffler but too restrictive, not very effective at reducing reversion, and still loud on top of that. I also feel that all crossflow (dual exit) mufflers for F-bodies are also junk. I am very happy with Borla mufflers now... until I can design something better.
The Hypertech coil will be absolutely no power gain unless your present coil is defective. Coils do not add any energy whatsoever to your ignition. A coil is simply a step-up transformer to raise voltage (electrical pressure). It is very possible to have a high-voltage coil that can bridge plug gaps as wide as .5" at 8000 RPM's and yet still have missfires. Voltage alone will not initiate combustion.

So as you can guess, no I don't like your parts combo very much. Hope that wasn't too harsh. Just trying to save you some wasted money.
I'm not saying you can't go fast or even go fast for cheap, because you can. Shwew, once again I must at least suggest going to a swap meet and picking up a carb $50, a dualplane intake $100, and a used NOS plate kit $100, then get a new distributor & carter-electric fuel pump $50 (6psi). That would be very very fast and leave you with money to get more things.
Ok that's my suggestions. You did ask,
good luck

------------------
White 1986 Irocz, 305/383 with Edlebrock Performer-RPM intake and Performer #1407 carburetor, +110hp shot of crack, 700R-4 tranny, 3.25:1 rear, Mcreary Road-Stars, single 3" Borla exhaust, Linginfelter-TPI camshaft pulls 17" vacuum solid. N/A runs 10.9 @124, Crack-runs 10.3 @135... haven't run at track since Oct-99
Old 02-04-2001, 05:26 PM
Supreme Member

To ODB,
I think u need to cool off. Thanks for replying and being honest, But not only will my motor outlast any carbuerator but ill have better miles per gallon. I asked generally just on what HP range i was in. No i didnt get TRW pistons i got eagels pistons and rods callaway crank. Yes they r heavy but they can run up to 6,500 rpm as for the cast 4,500. Yes i know who the hell is gonna run at the 6,500 rpm but thats just me. Cast are more prone to cracking then forged. Believe my i know its a scientific fact. The flowmasters r restrictive but i rather not spend $450.00 on a waste of metal(BORLA)as for the MSD plugs they produce a better spark as a result better combustion. I bought bosch not only for performance but for reliability. Thats why GM uses them on all 2000-2001 vehicles which need tune ups every 100,000 miles. I dont wanna run 11 sec. on 1/4 But i belive my combination is a great set up. I posted this ad a while back and i got great reviews on my combination. It only seems that u and the other one have negative thoughts about my combo, but hey thats your opion and i respect that but i want reliability and performance as well. Dont want to spend time jetting the carb, spending $50.00 a week on gas and most of all carbs give u power on low end. I need both. well just have to see this April when i take it to the track and see my results believe it or not im looking at low 13's w/slicks. I will post my timeslips to show proof. bye
Old 02-04-2001, 09:27 PM
Banned

To ODB,
I think u need to cool off. Thanks for replying and being honest, But not only will my motor outlast any carbuerator but ill have better miles per gallon. I asked generally just on what HP range i was in. No i didnt get TRW pistons i got eagels pistons and rods callaway crank. Yes they r heavy but they can run up to 6,500 rpm as for the cast 4,500. Yes i know who the hell is gonna run at the 6,500 rpm but thats just me. Cast are more prone to cracking then forged. Believe my i know its a scientific fact. The flowmasters r restrictive but i rather not spend $450.00 on a waste of metal(BORLA)as for the MSD plugs they produce a better spark as a result better combustion. I bought bosch not only for performance but for reliability. Thats why GM uses them on all 2000-2001 vehicles which need tune ups every 100,000 miles. I dont wanna run 11 sec. on 1/4 But i belive my combination is a great set up. I posted this ad a while back and i got great reviews on my combination. It only seems that u and the other one have negative thoughts about my combo, but hey thats your opion and i respect that but i want reliability and performance as well. Dont want to spend time jetting the carb, spending $50.00 a week on gas and most of all carbs give u power on low end. I need both. well just have to see this April when i take it to the track and see my results believe it or not im looking at low 13's w/slicks. I will post my timeslips to show proof. bye
ok sorry my bad. Only thought I could help. Maybe I'm way off track here.
But for the record my stock cast crank & stock Xrods go to over 7000rpm no problem. Take a look in David Vizards book on chevy sb bottom ends for stats on cast vs forged cranks, or better yet call up his machinist friend Denny... I can give you the # if you want?
You do sound majorly confused on the issue of carburetors. Just curious how many comparison tests you have done yourself? Something must be wrong with my setup because I'm getting 24 miles per gallon (highway) with a carb on my 383.
Back when my 305 was TPI it only ran 11.8's @115 on treaded street tires, so I must have goofed that one up too.
I stand corrected though, and I realize that my bogus advice will be no help to you.
Sorry again,

------------------
*I do custom performance mods on Edlebrock Performer carburetors (dualplane intake mods in the works),
White 1986 Irocz, 305/383 with Edlebrock Performer-RPM intake and Performer #1407 carburetor, +110hp shot of crack, 700R-4 tranny, 3.25:1 rear, Mcreary Road-Stars, SLP-stainless 1.75" shortie headers & Y-pipe, single 3" Borla exhaust, Linginfelter-TPI camshaft part number 74216 pulls 17" vacuum solid. Cam specs 213/219 @.050 114-LSA, .462/.470 lift @1.5:1 ratio. MSD-6AL, billet distributor, multi-retard, blaster-3 coil, and RPM switch.
N/A runs 10.9 @124,
Crack-runs 10.3 @135
haven't run at track since Oct-99
Old 02-05-2001, 10:18 AM
Supreme Member

To be honest im not confused with carbuerators, in fact i own a 1971 Plymouth Duster which has a 340 with a 650 four barrel holley edelbrock intake mopar performance distributor heddman headers accel spark plugs and wires w/ stock heads and original motor, which have never been rebuild. I belive they came with forged cranks and pistons from the factory and still runs till this day. It runs 12.21's in the 1/4 and its streetable . I luv the darn thing but i want me a fuel injection and like i said im not building this car for drag racing. Mainly on reliability, comfort and a little performance.