Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac
Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits

I was looking at either replacing my seats entirely with 4th Gen seats, or re-upholstering my existing ones. Seems Hawks has a kit, and I was wondering if anyone has installed this on thier car?? If you have installed pics it would be a big plus!

I posted the thread to what I'm interested in below:
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...placement.html

Kind of a bummer they don't have Sand Grey, so I'm looking at either silver or charcaol color....
Old 11-23-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 84 Z28, '15 Colorado
Engine: L69
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits

Personally, I like the 4th generation seats. They are more comfortable and the foam is usually still in good shape for used one. I picked up a complete 4th gen set for $100 that only had 9k miles on them - they look brand new.

Also, the aftermarket is much more favorable to 4th gen replacement sets. 6 Liter Eater Designs has the best replacement covers you can buy.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro Z-28
Engine: 305 V-8 4BBL (H) Supercharged
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton Posi

Corbeau makes some killer seats that bolt into third and fourth gens with an adapter.
Leather fourth-gen T/A seats are also a good option from a wrecking yard.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by IROCtheRoad
Personally, I like the 4th generation seats. They are more comfortable and the foam is usually still in good shape for used one. I picked up a complete 4th gen set for $100 that only had 9k miles on them - they look brand new.

Also, the aftermarket is much more favorable to 4th gen replacement sets. 6 Liter Eater Designs has the best replacement covers you can buy.
Hey IROCtheRoad!! - I hear ya man...but I've been looking for 4th Gen seats for a while, and the ones I seem to find around here are either worse than my Thirdgen seats, or are some goofy color - red, saddle- and the like. Even those are going for way over 100 bucks!

The few good (mediocre) examples I've seen around here are going anywhere from 400-600 bucks. So 395 +shipping to redo mine doesn't seem too bad. I actually have 2 sets of front seats with no holes anywhere, the foam is in great shape on both...for being 28 years old...but the velour is just worn out.

Corbeau makes some killer seats that bolt into third and fourth gens with an adapter.
Leather fourth-gen T/A seats are also a good option from a wrecking yard.
I've also looked at aftermarket seats, but those would be a last resort. I'd rather have Camaro seats. 4th Gen T/A seats would be fine too.

EDIT: Maybe I just need to keep waiting to find a good set of 4th Gen seats, but...they don't come around often. Even those are at least 10-11 years old.

Last edited by Confuzed1; 11-23-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock

If you're going to DIY, get hold of thecovergirl. She may be able to help.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:08 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4:10

Originally Posted by t-top havoc
If you're going to DIY, get hold of thecovergirl. She may be able to help.
Agreed
Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Supreme Member

Some times it's a good thing to email a place you've never done business with...

I used their "Contact us" on thier own web site to ask them whether I could get a few samples of the interior colors they offer....that was over a week ago and I've gotten zero response.

Just imagine if I had sent them 400 bucks for these seat kits? I may never see my money or my kit.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 AM

Car: 1988 Firbird formula 350
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Nine Bolt

I ordered a set of covers for my Formula 350 a few weeks ago from Hawks. Still waiting to hear back from them on delivery ETA.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by lonestar7
I ordered a set of covers for my Formula 350 a few weeks ago from Hawks. Still waiting to hear back from them on delivery ETA.
It's unfortunate, but a lot of times these shops grow due to ebay sales and the like -and thier customer service doesn't.

I'll email them one more time...just in case for some reason they didn't recieve the first message. If I don't recieve a response in a "reasonable" time...I would think 3 days is reasonable myself...I'll go to another vendor.

I hope you hear back from them soon. This is just the kind of treatment after the sale I try to avoid like the plauge.

EDIT: t-top havoc - Why The "Covergirl"?? Couldv'e swore I read something on one of these boards that was awfully negative about that particular name...
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/afte...-ripoff-2.html
Has issues about her health, etc. but also seems to hold onto people's money and not deliver for extended periods
-But I also hear she does great work...so of course, I have mixed feelings when that name came up...

Last edited by Confuzed1; 11-30-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:37 PM

People seem to like her seats very much but I see too many bad things. I'm sure a local upholstery shop in your area could do the exact same thing - at least you would be local to them.

From what I've read over the past many years many of the seat cover sets you can buy (Hawks, 1Auto, etc) are sub factory quality. They look nice and install correctly but the fabric isn't as good nor matches the original style.

My vote goes to an upholstery shop.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 375 Likes on 303 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Hawks should beable to redo seats in any color available on their site even tho its not listed as a shelf item. Atleast thats what i was told awhile back. Considering recovering my 4th gen seats
Old 11-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock

I completely understand & agree with your thoughts.
She is fast to respond to email, and those who have her work are very satisfied.

On my wish list! : )
Old 12-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by t-top havoc
I completely understand & agree with your thoughts.
She is fast to respond to email, and those who have her work are very satisfied.

On my wish list! : )
You're right! I emailed her and she was indeed very quick to reply! I didn't realize she had a website. The site shows a lot of pics of the work she does...and it looks like she does great work.

She also gave me a ballpark figure for covering my front and rear seats, and she's competative - considering what she does is custom work...but those custom touches do cost a bit extra, but that's not suprising at all.

Gave me a lot to think about. I'm a little concerned that if I buy these covers from Hawk's, that won't fit tightly enough and look loose....I don't want wrinkly seats, even though the foam seems to be in great shape considering how old my original seats are.

On the other hand, Covergirl would probably do a much better job if I shipped my front/back seats to her...but that would really add on to the cost....
Old 12-24-2012, 08:16 PM

I finally got the correct upholstery kit for my 1988 Firebird Formula from Hawks on Friday. This was the second kit. I had ordered the Chino Velour light charcoal cloth which was supposed to be the closest match to the original pallax cloth fabric ($45 extra), but they sent Encore velour, a completely different weave. Even though they screwed up they first order, they did take care of the problem had the correct seat covers to me within a week, so I'm happy with their service.
I just finished with the rear seats this Christmas Eve evening, and I'm pleased with the results so far. As far as the quality of the covers go, the stitching and finish is very good, the material is a very close match to the original although slightly thinner. As far as the fit, some people say the Hawks cover have a loose fit. I can tell you that it not the case, at least with my cloth covers. It was quite a bit of works to get the seat covers on the foam cores, it was a tight fit, especially on the seat bottoms.
For anyone thinking about doing this yourself, I strongly recommend you get a fabric steamer to heat and soften the fabric as you work it on the foam cores. It also works wonders removing remaining wrinkles after you get it in place and fastened down.

One thing you do need to do if you get the covers from Hawks is immediately after opening the box (assuming you get the correct covers), throw the hog ring pliers that come with covers as far away as possible. They are practically useless. You can get a very usable set from Harbor Freight for about $9 or you can get a fancy set on line for around $20. I did the rears first because they are easier to take out and work with. I'm going to tackle the front seats next, hopefully I can get it all done by this weekend. I'll post some pix of the results then.

Last edited by lonestar7; 12-25-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Supreme Member

A lot of great info lonestar7!!

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am, 99 WS6, 16 Mustang GT
Engine: LB9, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi, 4.10 Posi

I finally got the correct upholstery kit for my 1988 Firebird Formula from Hawks on Friday. This was the second kit. I had ordered the Chino Velour light charcoal cloth which was supposed to be the closest match to the original pallax cloth fabric ($45 extra), but they sent Encore velour, a completely different weave. Even though they screwed up they first order, they did take care of the problem had the correct seat covers to me within a week, so I'm happy with their service.
I just finished with the rear seats this Christmas Eve evening, and I'm pleased with the results so far. As far as the quality of the covers go, the stitching and finish is very good, the material is a very close match to the original although slightly thinner. As far as the fit, some people say the Hawks cover have a loose fit. I can tell you that it not the case, at least with my cloth covers. It was quite a bit of works to get the seat covers on the foam cores, it was a tight fit, especially on the seat bottoms.
For anyone thinking about doing this yourself, I strongly recommend you get a fabric steamer to heat and soften the fabric as you work it on the foam cores. It also works wonders removing remaining wrinkles after you get it in place and fastened down.

One thing you do need to do if you get the covers from Hawks is immediately after opening the box (assuming you get the correct covers), throw the hog ring pliers that come with covers as far away as possible. They are practically useless. You can get a very usable set from Harbor Freight for about $9 or you can get a fancy set on line for around $20. I did the rears first because they are easier to take out and work with. I'm going to tackle the front seats next, hopefully I can get it all done by this weekend. I'll post some pix of the results then.
How close is the Chino Velour to the original fabric? Could you post a comparison picture?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Supreme Member

Boy...I was REALLY close to getting some real nice leather seats from a '02 TA...car only had supposedly 45K on it. They were black leather, which I guess could of went OK with my otherwise sand gray interior. But 599 bucks + anywhere from 130-195 to ship...I'd of been in those for over 800 bucks in the end...but it was real tempting....

I too would love to see pics of how your interior comes out lonestar7...been searching on Covergirl stuff, and most seem pretty satisfied with her work too, plus I could get custom touches with her, where I can't with the Hawk's stuff....but the covers Hawk's has look real nice, and actually for Hawk's the price is almost reasonable!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:02 AM

Car: 1990 z28
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: t-5 wc
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42 posi

I have a nice set of 4th gen seats from a 1999 dk gray perfect back seats 3 passanger seats and 1 drivers seat 500 for all e-mail joelaporte111@gmail.com
Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by dads old blue 9
I have a nice set of 4th gen seats from a 1999 dk gray perfect back seats 3 passanger seats and 1 drivers seat 500 for all e-mail joelaporte111@gmail.com
I don't want to waste your time...what kind of shape is the one driver's seat in? Those take all the abuse...and do you have one complete interior? (both front and rear seats/ match?) I'd have no use for two extra passenger seats. Just PM me...much easier for me...
Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 PM

I just finished with the seat covers as it was getting dark. I'll take some photos Sunday and post them.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 PM

Here are some before photos:
Attached Thumbnails Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits-img_2561.jpg   Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits-img_2590.jpg   Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits-img_2626.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 06:41 PM

Here are some after shots:
Attached Thumbnails Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits-img_2631.jpg   Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits-img_2634.jpg   Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits-img_2636.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Some more after shots:
Attached Thumbnails Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits-img_2637.jpg   Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits-img_2638.jpg   Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits-img_2640.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 PM

A few more,
Attached Thumbnails Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits-img_2641.jpg   Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits-img_2639.jpg   Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits-img_2649.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 06:56 PM

Closeups of the new and old fabric,
Attached Thumbnails Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits-img_2644.jpg   Hawk's Upholstery Seat Kits-img_2646.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Supreme Member

Wow! those look great!

Thanks for posting the pics. That's almost the same color I need actually, but I was considering ultra leather.

How was the install? Any tips or tricks that you could share?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Confuzed1
Wow! those look great!

Thanks for posting the pics. That's almost the same color I need actually, but I was considering ultra leather.

How was the install? Any tips or tricks that you could share?
If that is the same color you need I know in 97 they had 3 greys. Light/medium/dark so you can get a different shade. I have 150k miles on my 97 and my seats still look like new so they hold up well. But about as comfortable as a rocking chair, get some trans am seats before base seats you won't regret it.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

I just finished with the seat covers as it was getting dark. I'll take some photos Sunday and post them.
Really did a good job their lonestar7,Hows your hands feel!!!!! I know that's a ruff job to do,especially on the hands.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by mantaguy
Really did a good job their lonestar7,Hows your hands feel!!!!! I know that's a ruff job to do,especially on the hands.
Oh yeah, it's rough on the hands. I got several cuts from sharp edges on stamped metal parts and springs, numerous finger punctures from hog rings and staples, and several skinned knuckles and abrasions from wrestling with the fabric to stretch it over the foam cores. What at first looks like the easiest part of the job turned out to be a major SOB. Those little head rest covers are a nightmare to get on. They are very small and it took 20 ~30 mins. of steaming, stretching and cussing to get each of them on. A very tight fit!.

All in all, I think I spent about 10 hours on the installation. I've never done that before, and there is a learning curve. I did the last seat much quicker than the first one. Like I said in my earlier post, start with the rear seats, they're the easiest, and learn as you go.

The only other problem I'm still working on is restoring the nap on the velour fabric, especially on the head rest. Since I had to heat and man handle the fabric stretching it over the cores, the nap got laid down every which way. I have been able to fix most of that on the seat fabric heating it with a hair dryer and brushing it (look at the pix of the drivers seat before I put it in and after), but that has helped the headrest fabric only a little. I'm going to have to do some research and see if there is a simple way to restore the nap, but otherwise I'm pleased with the results.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70

i wonder if throwing the seat covers in the wash would have helped any? kinda like a new pair of jeans, see if they fit right, toss em in the wash and they fit and feel better.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

The nap may work itself out.I would try a vac,cleaner with good suction,that should do it.I would avoid any more steam or moisture,may run your color!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs82TA
If that is the same color you need I know in 97 they had 3 greys. Light/medium/dark so you can get a different shade. I have 150k miles on my 97 and my seats still look like new so they hold up well. But about as comfortable as a rocking chair, get some trans am seats before base seats you won't regret it.
Thanks -The seats I let slip through my fingers were ebony seats from a 2002 T/A actually. But a lot I see for sale are in horrible shape.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70

Originally Posted by mantaguy
The nap may work itself out.I would try a vac,cleaner with good suction,that should do it.I would avoid any more steam or moisture,may run your color!!!
if one wash breaks the nap loose then thats toiletpaper quality covers. every so often (read few years) i'll take my seat covers and toss em in the wash and that brings them out nice. kinda like when you clean your carpets how nice and full they look after.....................as long as its not cheap builders grade half worn carpet.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 PM

If you want to go fancy go find a pair of cheap 4th gen seats (like I said, I found mine on craigslist for only $100 with only 10k miles on them - look brand new) but then spend some $ on a custom set of covers from 6 Liter Eater Designs.

Now those things are pretty! LS1Tech has a massive thread on their seat covers. I'm just waiting on the money to but the covers myself.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

You might want to try a fabric steamer to bring the nap back up. The hair dryer is dry heat. I don't think steam would hurt it. If all else fails, borrow a steam cleaner and give them a rinse. You could do the same thing by spritzing them with hot water and then sucking out the water with a shop vac. You don't need to soak them -
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by IROCtheRoad
If you want to go fancy go find a pair of cheap 4th gen seats (like I said, I found mine on craigslist for only $100 with only 10k miles on them - look brand new) but then spend some $ on a custom set of covers from 6 Liter Eater Designs.

Now those things are pretty! LS1Tech has a massive thread on their seat covers. I'm just waiting on the money to but the covers myself.
Honestly, I'm not trying to get too fancy at all. I'd be plenty happy with a good to excellent set of stock seats. I have an extra set of fronts sitting in my garage right now, and they're in the same shape than whats in my car now...no rips, tears, burns...it's just that the velour is worn down.

That's kinda why I'm looking close at leather seats....takes a lot longer to wear those down, especially if you take care of them. Sport seats from a
2000-plus T/A would be nice for the added lumbar support and raised sides.

All the ones I see out of fourth gen Camaros (including Z28's) are just the base design whether they are in leather or velour....the T/A Pontiacs seem to have the better seats...really nice. Prices are all over the board though for any of them...

EDIT: -Since I posted pics of my current seats...which look way better in pics, it made me realize most of the pics of the seats being sold in the auctions are not taken in sunlight either....it might be making them look a lot better than they really are....

Oh - and believe me, I'm keeping an eye on my local Craigslist....

Last edited by Confuzed1; 01-06-2013 at 10:49 AM.