Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Holley vs. Edelbrock

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Sport Coupe
Engine: Carbeurated 5.7
Transmission: NWC T-5
Axle/Gears: Non-posi 2.73
Holley vs. Edelbrock

What do you guys think is a better intake manifold/carb set up in terms of these two brands?
Old 12-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi
Re: Holley vs. Edelbrock

I have always liked edelbrock manifolds.

As for carbs they are different I personally don't think one is overall better than the other.

Edelbrock carbs tend to make a little less power but require less tuning they are also better over temperature changes.

Holley are the opposite they make some more power but require more tuning and my experience is they require tuning when the weather changes from spring to summer then summer to fall.

Pick the one you feel more comfortable with.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

ive always used edelbrock manifolds. although holley strip dominator manifold are awesome. carburetors are no comparison. holley hands down makes more power. they are a little more pain the butt to tune. but well worth it. the edelbrock performer series are complete jokes. ive never seen one that doesnt leak down. the avs series carbs are better IMO. but i only run holley, demon, quickfuel, etc. on any carb application.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:39 PM
JTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Z28, 85 Burb
Engine: 305 Carbureted
Transmission: 5 Speed

I've always used Edelbrock manifolds and have had a good experience with the performer carburetor. From what I've heard, the edelbrock is a better carb for drivability and the holley is a better carb for making power. Although, a good friend of mine (known him since high school) got sick and tired of the holley he had on his truck (63 chevy 1/2 ton w/ 307 that has the power pack heads). It would only hold a tune for maybe two months if he was lucky. He finally ditched the holley and got an edelbrock and was really happy with it. Later on he built a 400hp 383 and got a q-jet rebuuilt and tuned for that engine.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:17 PM

Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am
Transmission: BW T5, Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Posi

I ran an aluminum bodied holley for the longest time, but always had issues with heat soak and hot starts. Ran fantastic after some cool fuel got into the bowls. Heat insulators didn't help.

Now running an Edelbrock carb. Ran great out of the box with some minor tweaks. No more heat issues
Old 12-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Supreme Member

ive never had any heat soak problems with my carburetors.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:05 PM

Car: 1987 Sport Coupe
Engine: Carbeurated 5.7
Transmission: NWC T-5
Axle/Gears: Non-posi 2.73

Decisions decisions....
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 AM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: TBD
Transmission: T5 NWC

Sounds like if a person wants drivability with a bit less maintenance then an Edelbrock is the way to go. I'm not sure how much performance/power difference you will realize between the two options but if your like me and don't want to bother too much with tuning between the seasons then an Edelbrock may be the best choice. I would like to know how much difference there is because I will be making a decision between the two very soon. If you figure it out, please let me know.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:31 AM
J91
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Z28,64ImpalaSS4094spd,67 Galaxy
Engine: Dart 415Profiler hd,cmprlrs,Hlly750
Transmission: Built 700R4, 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 3:89 Moser 9"

Holley Carb, Edelbrock manifold....
Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Supreme Member

Holley makes 20-50 more HP than an edelbrock carburetor
Old 01-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by UnderCover89TBI

Going to need to see some dyno sheets to back up that claim
Old 01-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6

Haha.. this is not true.

The fact of the matter is that there are different holley carbs and different "edelbrock" carbs. They all have strengths and weaknesses. The typical edelbrock (carter AFB) carburetor can make the same power as your typical holley vac sec. carb and even a double pumper.

Your typical holley vac secondary and edelbrock are capable of delivering evenly distributed atomized/vaporized fuel to each cylinder. If they are properly tuned and the AFR is the same you won't see much of a difference at all in peak hp for equal cfm carbs. The trick is getting the same AFR curves which can require more than just jet changes for both carburetors - you might have to play with air bleeds, air valve weights, etc. One carb might be better out of the box for a particular combination. I suspect this is where people get these ideas of one carb making 20-50 more horsepower. This why tuning is important.

Now there are big differences in how they handle transitions, and for example I would not recommend an edelbrock carb in a manual transmission performance car over a double pumper. The edelbrock has a fixed pump volume and accel pump tuning is limited.
I personally am more of a fan of the double pumper holley because it has a lot more flexibility in tuning options (and most importantly a hearty pump shot) though I have put considerable time into an edelbrock.

Get yourself a wideband AFR meter and you will see that if you want power, the real trick is tuning a carb properly.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:44 AM

Car: 1984 Camaro sport coupe
Engine: 5.0(H/O) 305 carb'd
Transmission: TCI St. Fitr stge 2 700r4 man.valve
Axle/Gears: stock gears, Limited Slip

ive always used edelbrock manifolds. although holley strip dominator manifold are awesome. carburetors are no comparison. holley hands down makes more power. they are a little more pain the butt to tune. but well worth it. the edelbrock performer series are complete jokes. ive never seen one that doesnt leak down. the avs series carbs are better IMO. but i only run holley, demon, quickfuel, etc. on any carb application.
def. agree with holley carbs. IMO anything that is chrome (edelbrock) and deals with fuel, is poopoo..junk...garbage. edelbrock does however make great mani's. in my set up i have the Nascar edition edelbrock intake mani http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-75013/with this carb. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80801HB/
Old 01-30-2012, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by midias
Going to need to see some dyno sheets to back up that claim
IKR...that guys loco
Old 01-30-2012, 03:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '83 Sport Coupe
Engine: 360
Transmission: TKO-500
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.73 TrueTrac

I have an Edelbrock performer RPM manifold and just changed out my Edelbrock 600cfm for a Holley 4160 600cfm. A WORLD OF difference. With a little tweaking (lighter secondary spring, and accelerator pump adjustment) I am making more power at WOT, starting easier and gained 8-10mpg ALL AROUND... The darn Edelbrock dumped, and wasted a lot more fuel, giving me a more stressful and lumpy ride, with ever changing throttle response patterns... The Holley is much smoother... I tweaked that Edelbrock for a year and finally said enough was enough. I don't know if this is the norm, but I am sticking with this Holley.

I never got better than 11mpg with the Edelbrock... With the Holley I get 22mpg dead on, on the highway if I keep it at, or under 65.

Last edited by 68Strat; 01-30-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by '84thunder
def. agree with holley carbs. IMO anything that is chrome (edelbrock) and deals with fuel, is poopoo..junk...garbage. edelbrock does however make great mani's. in my set up i have the Nascar edition edelbrock intake mani http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-75013/with this carb. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80801HB/
Originally Posted by '84thunder
IKR...that guys loco
you agree with me then call me loco...lol its cool everyone has an opinion
Old 01-30-2012, 03:28 PM
TA
Supreme Member

Car: '88 GTA, 90 Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI, fed growth hormones
Transmission: 700r4 4u2?
Axle/Gears: 9bolt

Originally Posted by Pablo
Haha.. this is not true.

The fact of the matter is that there are different holley carbs and different "edelbrock" carbs. One carb might be better out of the box for a particular combination.
Get yourself a wideband AFR meter and you will see that if you want power, the real trick is tuning a carb properly.
I agree completely with Pablos' experience. Firstly, there really is no "Edelbrock" Carburetor, it is a copy of a Carter AFB which came on many big block Mopars in the '60s. Holley developed their own carbs, which were then copied by BG.
In the end, both companies make many different manifolds and carburetors, none of which will be perfect "out of the box" for your particular combination, but you will get the best results from the combo that is the closest if you do not take it upon yourself to do some precise tuning. Running a big carb for peak power usually costs in other areas. It might sound harsh, but just the fact that you think there is a simple "right" answer to this very general question indicates you have no experience in really tuning a carb.

TA
Old 01-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

you wont notice the diffrence in power output on anything less than a all out race car.holleys require constant attention,wheras edelbrocks are "set it and forget it" i base my opinion on 42 years as a professional mechanic.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:48 PM

you agree with me then call me loco...lol its cool everyone has an opinion

yes sir. i agree with the quoted statement and disagree withe other quoted statement. did u catch that? you made 2 statements. one saying that you have dealt with both and you prefer holley and holley has good rep. then you made another statement saying holley adds bout 20 to 50 hp. it depends on your engine and set up of intake mani and some other various parts. same thing goes for Cold Air Intake on tuner cars like cobalt SS, civic SI, Lancers....it varies on each car and wont necessarily add what it says. im just tryin to clarify. im not trying to offend or start drama.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Supreme Member

i know what your saying 84. But ive worked on a ton of cars and holley's have always ran better and felt better. and they dont leak down all the time.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:30 PM

i know what your saying 84. But ive worked on a ton of cars and holley's have always ran better and felt better. and they dont leak down all the time.

and thats wut i agree with you on. edelbrock IMO is for beginners or people who dont have time to keep messing round with parts under hood. you know...kinda like pioneer decks(audio) are very technical when your trying to figure out how you want your EQ set up. many many settings. but decks like sony's and JVC's. (this was just a comparison, i am well aware that audio has nothing to do with Carbs or engine works DUH)
Old 02-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Supreme Member

I dont run any deck but Pioneer...how amazing...
Old 02-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 377
Transmission: TH350; Circle D 4200 converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"

Originally Posted by rusty vango
you wont notice the diffrence in power output on anything less than a all out race car.holleys require constant attention,wheras edelbrocks are "set it and forget it" i base my opinion on 42 years as a professional mechanic.
You might not notice a difference in power output, but HOW it's applied and the customization/tuning is another matter. I won't knock on Edelbrock - they're good for keeping things simple.. but something as critical as air/fuel delivery can make all the difference between a good launch that keeps pulling, and a sluggish start with average performance. Does that mean it's junk? Not necessarily, but it does depend on how you intend on using it.

Every person I know that has ever owned one has been disappointed. These same people were also ones that wanted a more performance-oriented motor and not a grocery-getter.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

I have an edelbrock 600 and I have great starts warm and cold. Off the line I have great acceleration and it pulls hard to redline. No complaints here.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Supreme Member

a properly tuned holley will be even better Midias i'd bet on it.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:17 PM

I dont run any deck but Pioneer...how amazing...
thanks for the comic relief nice job
Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '83 Sport Coupe
Engine: 360
Transmission: TKO-500
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.73 TrueTrac

My guess would be anyone that had an Edelbrock and switched to a Holley (and took a few hours to tune it properly) would not go back. Someone who bolted on a standard Edelbrock and had decent results the first time would have reservations switching to something that needs tweaking. I have had 2 Edelbrocks and my first Holley is night and day difference in terms of driveability, economy, and a consistent predictable power curve The Edelbrocks were okay, but from my experience, I have been converted. Vacuum secondaries are where it's at. I know how the car will respond every time I punch it, and know I'll be cruising around 22mpg on the highway every time I take her out.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '92 Z03
Engine: LSX
Transmission: M12

Originally Posted by 68Strat
My guess would be anyone that had an Edelbrock and switched to a Holley (and took a few hours to tune it properly) would not go back.
Well said!

Holley 4150 carb and Edelsnot manifold and you will be set!

FWIW I have had NIB Eddy carbs go bad on me, they are a zinc plated Carter AFB and those in their heyday were still junk. Replating and polishing junk and selling a tuning book with every carb does not make them no longer junk. Junk is junk is junk.

Not to mention those absolutely garbage engineered top hanging floats that never hold a setting!!!

There's a reason why the pros run Dominators or 4150 Holleys...
Old 02-02-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by 68Strat
My guess would be anyone that had an Edelbrock and switched to a Holley (and took a few hours to tune it properly) would not go back. Someone who bolted on a standard Edelbrock and had decent results the first time would have reservations switching to something that needs tweaking. I have had 2 Edelbrocks and my first Holley is night and day difference in terms of driveability, economy, and a consistent predictable power curve The Edelbrocks were okay, but from my experience, I have been converted. Vacuum secondaries are where it's at. I know how the car will respond every time I punch it, and know I'll be cruising around 22mpg on the highway every time I take her out.
Originally Posted by vindeezl
Well said!

FWIW I have had NIB Eddy carbs go bad on me, they are a zinc plated Carter AFB and those in their heyday were still junk. Replating and polishing junk and selling a tuning book with every carb does not make them no longer junk. Junk is junk is junk.

Not to mention those absolutely garbage engineered top hanging floats that never hold a setting!!!

you both said it all very well. although edebrock is a decent carb, i just prefer Holley. i just dont like anything that deals with fuel to be chrome and most holleys if not all, arent chrome
Old 02-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by vindeezl
Well said!

exactly. and it seems like if you have to go "inside" an edelbrock it ends up being a bigger piece than it was before. I was going to run dual edelbrocks on the tunnel ram for the charger...because i have a couple laying around but I just cant do it. Dual double pumpers is where it will be.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 PM

exactly. and it seems like if you have to go "inside" an edelbrock it ends up being a bigger piece than it was before. I was going to run dual edelbrocks on the tunnel ram for the charger...because i have a couple laying around but I just cant do it. Dual double pumpers is where it will be.
There's 40 - 100 HP right there :-)
Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris
There's 40 - 100 HP right there :-)
damn skippy sir!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I'm a fan of a Holley carb on an Edelbrock manifold.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 PM

Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: '69 350 4 Bolt Main .30 Over
Transmission: 700r4/B&M Shift Kit and Flywheel
Axle/Gears: GM 10 Bolt 3.23 Gears

Originally Posted by J91
Holley Carb, Edelbrock manifold....
I second that.I sold my street avenger and put the ol' edel performer back on.I'm kicking myself in the ***** for that one.

I had one of the old edelbrock performer intakes from the 90's on mine and it was a champ with the street avenger carb.I switched to a weiand x-elerator with a quik fuel though and woohooo!!!! Snappy.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:55 PM

Car: 92 rs 25th ann.
Engine: 383
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 342

I have ran both carbs and both intakes, on both auto and manual trans. I found that I like the edelbrock intakes over the holley, but if you tune them right the carbs can run close numbers. But, if you have a daily driver the edelbrock avs are verry dependable and give you repeat performance no matter what driving conditions, verses the holley requires a bit more tweeking. If your doing more raceing than daily driving than you might want to go to a holley, barry grant, or somthing along those lines. But for manual trans you will want a edelbrock avs with adj. secondarys or a holley double pumper, to know that you will have enouph fuel ready when shifting gears. If your worried about fuel milage you shouldn't be playing with v8's, and carb's. The futer is fuel injection. Better throtle responce and fuel milage. Somthing like the powerjectionIII, holley pro jection, FAST efi, or edelbrock efi or mpi.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn

Edelcrap intake and a properly tuned q-jet.

Damn I just luv the sound of a q-jet at WOT....it's addictive, try it.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC, 76 Malibu Classic
Engine: 350 TPI, 350
Transmission: 700R4, 4-speed
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt ????

I don't usually mess with edelbrock carbs, if i was going for fuel mileage i would use a quadrajet, cheap and plentiful. Some believe tuning a holley is a mysterious process that takes a few string theorists to figure out, but it's a simple routine. I've also heard edelbrocks are easy to tune and lower maintenance but i've never seen an edelbrock that was tuned much better than a holley. Depends who's tuning the carb I guess. I personally believe that the best thing one can do with an edelbrock is trade it for a holley.
The "high maintenance" of a holley is really all relative. If you don't want to spend the 15 minutes to adjust a few things 2 or 3 times a year carbs in general are not for you. Chances are headers and ignition alone will require more attention than that.

As far as intakes i don't know that there's much between them. Edelbrock seems to be more plentiful and therefore a little cheaper secondhand. That's what i'm running.