Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Powertrax performance locker... Five Stars!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001, 12:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
Powertrax performance locker... Five Stars!

I just installed the powertrax performance locker in my 26 spline 3.42 open rear that i picked up for 55 bux at the junkyard off a 6 bangerthirdgen

the install was so easy an autistic ape could accomplish it. It basically takes the place of the spider and side gears in the carrier on an open rear, has two sets of dogtoothed plates the innerones spring loaded against the center pin so its like a ratcheting spool almost when turning the teeth disengage (makes a slight clicking sound although im told it goes away with some time) but when going straight with power applied its lockdown to both tires.

The traction improvement is incredible over the open rear. I could stomp it and spin for eternity, now the car just flat out HOOKS. It hooks better than any posi ive driven too, when i had a 2.73 posi there was no lock on both tires.. just controlled slippage which was always noticeable on launch and shifts by the fact the rear would kick out a bit in whichever direction was spinning more.

with the powertrax there is none of that shenanigans, i launch and the car just takes off straight as an arrow, no side to side crap like with posi

all told i think this is a GREAT purchase and probably the best combinations for thirdgenners to do interms of rear end

get a junkyard 3.42 or 3.73 open rear from a 6 banger which should be under 65 dollars (i got the whole rear for under that)
and get the powertrax for 315

much better than having aftermarket gears installed because there is 0 whine with the gm rear, and, the powertrax locking unit can be installed with basically two wrenches and in under an hour, no special tools required since it all just goes inside of the open rear carrier.

and its very very streetable, comes with two sets of springs btw, one for Street/strip and the other for Strip/Street (primary use first secondary use second) I used the Street/strip springs and they are way more than adequate for my application i think the strip springs would be suited to something with some pretty wicked traction/slicks
Old 01-04-2001, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

btw check it out at www.powertrax.com
Old 01-04-2001, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds sweet man
Old 01-04-2001, 04:43 PM

Hey Pablo that sounds AWESOME!!!!!! I have the 3.42 rear in my V6, so that means that I have an open rear then? My mechanic always told me that lockers aren't good but I've never heard anything bad about them, so go figure.
That will definetely be one of my next mods in the future is a locker. Thanx for the news.

------------------
- Mike Harvey -
1986 Firebird S/E
Old 01-04-2001, 05:02 PM

HEY WHAT ABOUT THE LIMITED SLIP REARENDS CAN WE CHANGE THEM OVER. I HAVE A 3.23 L-S WITH DISK BRAKES AND I WONT GIVE UP THE DISKS SO WHAT CAN I DO.. THANKS.

------------------
1990 IROC-Z L98 350 TPI
AFPR 49PSI, GUTTED AIR BOXES, K&N, RAM AIR, PORTED PLENUM, B&M SHIFTER, 3.23 LIMITED SLIP, DUAL CATS, STOCK SUPER TURBO EXHAUST, COOPER COBRA XST's

MUSTANGS...ONLY 4 LUGS....HAHA THAT IS HILARIOUS.
Old 01-04-2001, 06:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
I've been preaching the powertrax for 4 years know. Unbelievable traction.

rare, you can just exchange your posi carrier for an open carrier(cheap to get from a junkyard), and install the locker.

------------------
82 camaro--original steering wheel, brake/gas pedals, seats--everything else modified
82camaro
Old 01-04-2001, 10:42 PM
Supreme Member

if your rear comes out of 6 banger then its most assuredly an open rear and the powertrax will work for you

after driving mine more the most i notice it is at low speeds in parking lots where it can get a little annoying cause you feel it clamping down and unlocking

your mechanic was right, a REAL locker on the street would be unbearable
the powertrax performance locker is like a streetable version of a real locker, has all the benefits but none of the downsides

im still inlove with mine, i just nail the throttle in first and the car flat out takes off like a rocket, before id sit there burning the right rear
Old 01-05-2001, 06:01 AM

Pablo or 82camaro,

Do you get any of the noise like the click click click of a locker when turning? Have you noticed any adverse effects? How does the car respond in tight turning?

------------------
88 IROC convertible
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 01-05-2001, 08:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
During tight turns I can hear a faint click inside the car. Outside you can hear it better. The sound gets the occasional question, but when you tell them you have a locker, it's hard not to smile at their expression. I like the sound. I have heard that the powertrax no-slip locker system is completely quiet. I have the powertrax performance locker in mine.

------------------
82 camaro--original steering wheel, brake/gas pedals, seats--everything else modified
82camaro
Old 01-05-2001, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

Hey guys. I've been using these lockers in off-road vehicles for years and they are great but cannot take TOO much punishment. Just be careful to only PUNCH it while going straight. Ie, if you nail the throttle with a 300hp+ engine while the unit is racheting, the life will be VERY short. And remember, it will ratchet during all turns, be it in a parking lot at 5 mph OR on the road at 40mph, if the turn is tight enough...

I've gone through about 20 over the last 5 years but they are so inexpensive and easily replaced on the trail (or side of the road) that they are a must have. Plus if they really blow, you can just put the OEM spider gears back in.

Double 12-inch wide black marks are fun to make in friends driveways, aren't they???
Old 01-05-2001, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

what 82 said... faint click inside the car

i mostly hear the initial lock and unlock

its a little annoying at low speed tight turns with the five speed cause the wheels will be locked and youll be giving it gas and you first have to over come the locker pressure to get the wheels turning at different speeds it feels like so it can make letting out the clutch with the wheel at full lock a little annoying

im getting used to it pretty quickly though i find if i just ignore it i dont really feel a thing

[This message has been edited by Pablo (edited January 05, 2001).]
Old 01-06-2001, 08:30 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
time to go to the track Pablo. Its probably the best time of year for you there now. Cooler at the least.

Good luck with it.

------------------
-86 IROC
Vortech stuffed EFI 406 in progress
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 01-06-2001, 10:22 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
I agree with Guido, time to get that 'Bird to the track and have some fun.

Glad to hear that you are happy with you locker.
Old 01-07-2001, 07:21 PM

Car: Transformed 86 Coupe
Engine: 400 sbc
Transmission: 700R4
I just put the Powertrax No Slip in my rear and I'm not that crazy about it so far. It makes a lot of popping during turns and every now and then a fairly loud bam. The installation was a snap though and the instructions said there would be a break in period, and I suppose that after about 100 miles it has improved some. Probably the most annoying thing is that when stopping at a sign or light to make a turn it will not lock when I pull off (even if I wait until I'm going straight before hitting the gas) and one wheel will spin like it is on ice. Driving in the rain is almost impossible when this happens, because all the power is going to one wheel. My open rear didn't have this much of a problem. I have found that if I quickly let off the gas and then hit it again it will usually lock and pull like crazy. I hope that it will get better after some more miles, but if it doesn't I will have to call Powertrax.
Old 01-08-2001, 09:00 PM

my buddie has one on his Mustang, it's 4 month old, has 6 passes, and now it's gone...fare as I'm concerned, they are junk...I mean 6 passes, the car has 300hp, and he drives it (read "baby" it) on the street, and now, it's all screwed up...plus the fact that it "clicks" during turns and all, personaly it got on my nerves and his as well...you guys have any idea why it would screw up like that?

------------------
85 Z28, 355, edelbrock base, SLP runners (old style) 58mmTB, ported plenum, stock cam, fuel reg, TES headers, flowmaster, 3.73's, shift kit, MSD 6a, 305 hypertech chip (YUUUCK!) best prior intake mods: 14.6 @ 94, 2.02 60' temp: 78deg, 80% moist, on radials.
69SS, black, 3,73's, TH400, 402 BB, roller everything (solid 246@50 622 lift)+stud-guirdle, 67 Vette heads ported and o-ringed, about 10:1 cr KB pistons, should be done this summer, goals: 500hp and lots of fun
Old 01-09-2001, 01:24 AM
Supreme Member

the clicking is normal

and as far as im concerned if you can hear it your exhaust isnt loud enough

im still quite happy with mine, and i would go to the track but its been closed for like the last month and im going out of town now for some time
Old 01-09-2001, 11:38 AM
Supreme Member

If you daily drive it it will wear out FAST and you should NOT use that locker (edit: not use that locker, ie the one that you daily drive in. They are ok for strip-use only if minimal) at the strip. Locking mechanism corners round off and high torque situations push them over the edge. 305's may be aok for quite a while though. Much less torque.

Buy one and install it at the track (or on the trailer at home) and it will last for a while. Take it out when you get home. PITA to do that, I know, but they do/will break. Fluid changes every week are a must, too, BTW, if you daily drive and take turns regularly.

[This message has been edited by FastBroker (edited January 09, 2001).]
Old 01-09-2001, 03:26 PM

I dont know what yall are talking about when you say you are spinning tires like crazy with an open diff. I have an open diff and LO3 TBI but i dont really have a problem with spinning the tires except when wet. I have new 245's though.

------------------
Love you Camaro, love your wife/girlfriend, BUT ALWAYS PUT GOD FIRST!!!

1991 LO3 305 RS Camaro w/Headman headers and custom dual exaust.
Old 01-11-2001, 09:30 AM
Supreme Member

91 Camaro, it depends on the torque you have as well as the gears, tires and chassis mods. In my experience, most stock and even modified 305's cannot break loose a one-lighter rearend (open) with larger performance tires installed. A moderate 350 will break them loose in a pedal stab. It's just a higher torque amount and a more torque at lower-rpm thing and 4.11 gears don't help matters much. That's why most guys can run better 1/4 (or 1/8, yuck) times with higher gears and open diffs, ie because it is hard to control wheelspin upon launch.

Me, I'll take a locker/spool with 4.11's (or 4.56/5.13's for a trailer-runner) and N50 Mickey T's anyday!!!

Pablo, how's that Locker holding up so far? One heplful hint for you is to get a diff plug with a magnet on/in it (or a cover with the magnet epoxied to it) to help hold any metallic particles that may end up in your diff fluid from normal driving. This will help your bearings/gears last a litle longer and DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE YOUR DIFF FLUID MORE OFTEN!!!

[This message has been edited by FastBroker (edited January 12, 2001).]