Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Header Wrap vs Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Header Wrap vs Ceramic Coating

I just finished installing some DEI header wrap with the silicone spray and locking ties. Started at 5 or 6pm, took a long phone call that killed my cell battery then I was out by 6am! What a pita job that was. I had to remove things like the AC, Valve Covers, spark plugs, PB blast some bolts, spend a considerable amount of time obtaining a wrapping technique with water soaking, torch drying... It was just a huge job. One that I don't plan on ever doing again. Things are wrapped up nicely and I love the black wrapped look from the silicone but to be honest, paying extra for precoated headers doesn't sound so bad. Lol I know I should have wrapped them at installation but that was years ago with allot less experience. I hear wrap might run a bit cooler and have less risk of damaging your pipes though I'm not sure. If its roughly the same then the coating would get my vote.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Re: Header Wrap vs Ceramic Coating

A good ceramic coating will work great but spend the cash to do them inside and out.

Outside is usually sprayed on, inside is a liquid coating.

WHy? they will still rust from the inside out.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6

Header wrap is unquestionably more effective as a thermal insulator. There is no comparison. Get out an infrared thermometer and compare for your self. You can literally touch a wrapped header and not burn your hand. I know this goes contrary to the chart that is posted above but it is what I've experienced.

The claimed downside to header wrap is that it somehow traps moisture and accelerates deterioration of the header. This I have trouble believing. I have wrapped headers before and they outlasted the car. It is important however to paint and properly cure the paint on the header to provide some rust protection.
The other claimed downside is that the wrap is so effective at trapping heat you effectively heat treat/fatigue the metal the header is made of. The claimed result is embrittlement of the metal. These claims however have been made for a turbocharged v6 which produces significantly more heat than a naturally aspirated engine.

The other downside is that when you work on the car, the wrap fibers will embed in your skin and itch/irritate just like fiberglass insulation.

My own personal experience has been only positive, I have a turbocharged V6 now with wrapped headers with pre turbo temps around 1650 degrees. Most NA engines may not even see that temp an inch away from the exhaust port.

The one caveat to my experience is that I believe it is important to paint and properly cure the paint before wrapping the header. The other caveat is that my experience on my turbo V6 is from the perspective of a non daily driven vehicle.

Personally I believe coatings are a waste of money unless you want a show car.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:34 AM

I do believe its possible to trap moisture when the car is not running. Lets say you run through a puddle of water and park it, you have wet wrap on metal. Really your right, this problem happens due to poor installation. Rust protected metal and silicone protected wrap should easily avoid problems. I wonder if anyone has ever wrapped Ceramicheaders.

Side note, 2 cans of silicone spray would have been nice.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:05 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

I got a great deal on my Jet Hot Coated Hooker 2055's... and gauranteed for life (or free replacement) for no rust through, by them... The chart above is for non coated (or non wrapped) headers vs coated... I do believe that wrapping makes the most difference in temp as you stated...
Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Car: 85 TA

My experience is with racing karts. It absolutley keeps you from burning your self but sure seems to take a toll on the header. Seems to me like more of a material fatigue / degradation type of a situation on the karts anyways as they are not exposed to much water.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6

Originally Posted by luvofjah
I got a great deal on my Jet Hot Coated Hooker 2055's... and gauranteed for life (or free replacement) for no rust through, by them... The chart above is for non coated (or non wrapped) headers vs coated... I do believe that wrapping makes the most difference in temp as you stated...
Yes, I guess my post made it seem like i thought the chart was coated vs wrapped. That wasn't what I meant. I was only remarking on the fact that the chart made it seem like the coating was unbelievably effective which in a typical application I do not believe it is that effective.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

either i guess. i prefer ceramic it looks better. the header wrap really gotta remove the header or do it before you put them on originally.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pablo
Yes, I guess my post made it seem like i thought the chart was coated vs wrapped. That wasn't what I meant. I was only remarking on the fact that the chart made it seem like the coating was unbelievably effective which in a typical application I do not believe it is that effective.
I agree, I think the coating works for reducing temps but not anything like they claim. A wrap would work better.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:45 PM

Car: 1989 GTA Nighthawk
Engine: 389 CID TPI
Transmission: TCI 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.23

I have ceramic coated headers. They reduced the engine bay temperature noticeably from uncoated headers. You can also touch them after about 5 minutes of turning off the engine.
Having seen some cars with the wrap I can say the ceramic coating works as well, looks a lot better and prevents rust. The wrapped headers rusted quicker than my standard headers at the time. Which is one reason I decided on ceramic coated headers.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

how about stainless headers, ceramic coated, then wrapped