Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Anyone use Richmond's "EXCEL" line of gears?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: T-56
Anyone use Richmond's "EXCEL" line of gears?

Well I'm finally getting around to building the 10 bolt that I have in the garage to replace my noisy 2.77 9 bolt. Plus the ratio sucks so I need to build a quiter rear with a better ratio. Anyway, I was oringinally gonna stay away from Richmonds cause they seem to have a rep of not being the quietest gears around, but then saw they had a new line (I think new) of Excel gears. I read somewhere that they are double lapped, and I get the impression they are more of a street replacement. I do need something kinda strong though too since I'm putting down about 350 to the wheels on 275's. (That's how I blew the original), lol. Anyone have any experience with the "Excel" line of Richmonds, or even any other gear that you think is strong and pretty quiet?

Tom
Old 02-20-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: a slow one
Transmission: a crunchy one
Axle/Gears: a whiny one
Re: Anyone use Richmond's "EXCEL" line of gears?

Just to throw what I know out there since I can't help with the Excels, 4x4 Chevy truck guys like to use Yukon's gears as a replacement in 10 bolts. I have two friends with Yukon's front and rear in their K5 Blazer 10 bolts and they've been going on about two years with hard use and no problems, even with a lot of snapped axles and mud and water in the differential they haven't seen so much as a bad wear pattern. They're super quiet too.

10 bolt axleshafts don't take abuse very well no matter what you put in them though. Twice I've had a buddy break a ten bolt axle while he was in 4WD taking it easy. When I just drove through the same spot carelessly in 2WD on my 12 bolt... in 4 Lo... but with the front hubs unlocked... lmao. That's axles though, I don't think the gears have as many problems.