Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

1A Auto Window Sweeps, anyone have them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 iroc-z/28
Engine: 408 lsx
Transmission: 5800 stall
Axle/Gears: 4.71
Re: 1A Auto Window Sweeps, anyone have them?

the glue gun method will work.
i was in a hurry when i replaced my last set and i used "baby" zip ties. smallest ones you can find.
they worked flawlessly.
sold the door panels to a guy and he is still using them.
been like that 'round 6 years now.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 360cu @ 10.5:1
Transmission: T56 - Pro 5.0
Axle/Gears: 4.10 - Zexel Torsen - Moser Axles

I used plastic rivets to hold it on, no better way. Drill out the spot where the old plastic thing breaks off and use a rivet.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:03 PM

Car: ****TTA****
Engine: Bad A$$ Buick motor
Transmission: 2004r

I need the inner sweeps,i thought i was on the email list from A1,since they were on back order,,,well if you see this A1 ,please let me know if i can purchase the inners.. thanks Dennis
Old 08-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TTA656
I need the inner sweeps,i thought i was on the email list from A1,since they were on back order,,,well if you see this A1 ,please let me know if i can purchase the inners.. thanks Dennis
HI Dennis,

Here's a link to them on our site.They're back in stock.

Camaro inner sweep set
Old 08-24-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, for those of you that do have the inner window sweeps, i was hoping for some input as mine don't fit right. The pair that i got have a bow to them......if you sit them on the table upright (in installed position) there is a gap in the middle between the sweep and table of 1/4" to 5/16". The plastic trim and the original are basically straight so these do not come close to fitting. With the metal reinforcement in them, you can only bend them sideways, not up and down because top to bottom the metal is about 1" wide. They will buckle and twist. If you force them the plastic will then have to bend to the sweep and i am sure that ABS will crack.

Are any of yours like this as well??? I think the brand name is fairchild.

thanks.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock

I'm suprized that there's more fit probs coming up! We must have a set Tony QC'd.HAHA.
Serious--when the bodyshop did the outers there was no problem.
I did the inners with the plastic trim & had no problem!
I don't have any tips other than take your time & adjust as you go.If it doesn't work the first time,loosen it a bit,adjust,etc.Yes it took me a couple hrs to do both inners but there are no gaps or bends.When the electrician fixes the the breakerbox in the house I can get the Camaro out & take some photos of the final install fit.
Hey 1A Tony--any other ideas??
I hope you guys get this taken care of !!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by eddie jr
Hey guys, for those of you that do have the inner window sweeps, i was hoping for some input as mine don't fit right. The pair that i got have a bow to them......if you sit them on the table upright (in installed position) there is a gap in the middle between the sweep and table of 1/4" to 5/16". The plastic trim and the original are basically straight so these do not come close to fitting. With the metal reinforcement in them, you can only bend them sideways, not up and down because top to bottom the metal is about 1" wide. They will buckle and twist. If you force them the plastic will then have to bend to the sweep and i am sure that ABS will crack.

Are any of yours like this as well??? I think the brand name is fairchild.

thanks.
Eddie,

The ones that we carry have a cap mated to the inner dew wipe that attachés to the door panel. So basically you take your old cap and wipe off of your door panel and attach your new cap & inner sweep to the door danel then reinstall the door panel and your done.

It sounds like the issue you're having is that you have just the inner sweeps with out the cap.

Check these out on our site,they bolt on and will save you allot of aggravation.

Fairchild does make a great product, I've helped them to test fit some of their Mustang seals. The way we sell the inner sweeps makes a good product even better though.

Camaro inner sweeps

If you have any questions just give me a shout.

T

Last edited by 1Aauto; 08-24-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Supreme Member

These are very good quality pieces!
Electrician didn't fix the breakerbox so I can't open the garage--I will post up photos of the finished install along with the broken originals with the sweeps still attached. IIRC, adjuted only the pressure on the securing nuts so there was no gaps//pulls. Fits like the original!Photos when I can get the garage open
Old 08-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

There should be a bypass cord you can pull to get the garage door open.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by 1ATony
Eddie,

The ones that we carry have a cap mated to the inner dew wipe that attachés to the door panel. So basically you take your old cap and wipe off of your door panel and attach your new cap & inner sweep to the door danel then reinstall the door panel and your done.

It sounds like the issue you're having is that you have just the inner sweeps with out the cap.

Check these out on our site,they bolt on and will save you allot of aggravation.

Fairchild does make a great product, I've helped them to test fit some of their Mustang seals. The way we sell the inner sweeps makes a good product even better though.

Camaro inner sweeps

If you have any questions just give me a shout.

T
THanks for the info and link Tony. Yes, i have seen those before. I don't know if multiple sources make those or not so maybe those are PUI? The reason i don't want those is because of the huge cost (they are actually$208 up here in Canada) whereas getting just the inner sweeps with the outers as a 4 piece kit only adds $40.....and my plastic is in mint shape so, it really makes no sense financially.

Here are a couple pics showing what i mean about the bow in the sweep:

The first and second you can see the bow in the new one. The new one is in front in the first pic (5/16" gap from the floor) and on the left in the second. The third pic shows the new one sitting in place on the plastic trim and about 3/4" too high in the middle. There is now way you can bend that down, the plastic will be forced to bow up to the shape of the sweep and likely break....not to mention the door is flat on the top and not curved like that.
Attached Thumbnails 1A Auto Window Sweeps, anyone have them?-img_3696.jpg   1A Auto Window Sweeps, anyone have them?-img_3697.jpg   1A Auto Window Sweeps, anyone have them?-img_3699.jpg  
Old 08-25-2009, 05:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt 3.27 posi

Just to throw my two cents in...

The sweeps (outer, we haven't done the inners yet) are very nice quality pieces... HOWEVER... the driver's door piece did not match most of the holes... we had to re-drill (as I have noted others have said) to get it to work.

Funny thing was, the passenger side fit perfectly. Go figure.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by eddie jr
THanks for the info and link Tony. Yes, i have seen those before. I don't know if multiple sources make those or not so maybe those are PUI? The reason i don't want those is because of the huge cost (they are actually$208 up here in Canada) whereas getting just the inner sweeps with the outers as a 4 piece kit only adds $40.....and my plastic is in mint shape so, it really makes no sense financially.

Here are a couple pics showing what i mean about the bow in the sweep:

The first and second you can see the bow in the new one. The new one is in front in the first pic (5/16" gap from the floor) and on the left in the second. The third pic shows the new one sitting in place on the plastic trim and about 3/4" too high in the middle. There is now way you can bend that down, the plastic will be forced to bow up to the shape of the sweep and likely break....not to mention the door is flat on the top and not curved like that.
I'd call who ever you bought them from and ask for a replacement.

T
Old 08-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

I ran down to our warehouse and dodged forklifts for you guys,so that I could take some better pictures of our inner sweeps.

The sweeps are riveted to the molded plastic piece that rests on top of your door panel, making it much easier to install. They also come with the J fasteners as your new hardware, so that you can easily attach them to your door panels. It's an easier way then trying to glue just the sweeps into place.

Hope this helps,

T
Attached Thumbnails 1A Auto Window Sweeps, anyone have them?-8292innersweep1.jpg   1A Auto Window Sweeps, anyone have them?-8292sweep.jpg   1A Auto Window Sweeps, anyone have them?-sweeprivit.jpg  
Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM

Car: 89 firebird

this is a little off topic, but not really

i got new outter door sweeps from 1a, but my drivers door squeaks really badly when i roll down the window, any way to fix this? (passenger door sounds fine)
Old 08-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by popballz
this is a little off topic, but not really

i got new outter door sweeps from 1a, but my drivers door squeaks really badly when i roll down the window, any way to fix this? (passenger door sounds fine)
Did you try adjusting the window?
Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 1ATony
I ran down to our warehouse and dodged forklifts for you guys,so that I could take some better pictures of our inner sweeps.

The sweeps are riveted to the molded plastic piece that rests on top of your door panel, making it much easier to install. They also come with the J fasteners as your new hardware, so that you can easily attach them to your door panels. It's an easier way then trying to glue just the sweeps into place.

Hope this helps,

T
Yes--these are the ones we got from 1A. VERY nice pieces! I had NO issues with them!
Also--My bride tried to load the photos in my photo album but only 3 went in & the computer decided to take a crap... So there are 3 photos in my photo album for you guys to see so far.
Those are the original inner assemblies. They both broke in the same place & I tried to fix them with plastic catalyst glue.That didn't work.
So,needing ALL new weather stripping--my bride told me she found 1A & the rest is history!!
I will try to load the rest 2morrow nite after 8 pm.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by t-top havoc
Yes--these are the ones we got from 1A. VERY nice pieces! I had NO issues with them!
Also--My bride tried to load the photos in my photo album but only 3 went in & the computer decided to take a crap... So there are 3 photos in my photo album for you guys to see so far.
Those are the original inner assemblies. They both broke in the same place & I tried to fix them with plastic catalyst glue.That didn't work.
So,needing ALL new weather stripping--my bride told me she found 1A & the rest is history!!
I will try to load the rest 2morrow nite after 8 pm.
Sounds like a match made in heaven..lol, That's cool though.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks Tony!! Let's just say she's gettin frustrated over the cost of doing this project!Overall a GREAT support! Which brings me to say - 1A Auto has a great customer service!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by t-top havoc
Thanks Tony!! Let's just say she's gettin frustrated over the cost of doing this project!Overall a GREAT support! Which brings me to say - 1A Auto has a great customer service!
You're welcome. We try our best to provide the best parts on the market for you guys.

Tony
Old 09-03-2009, 03:34 PM

I bought a kit of weatherstripping, right now only have comments on the window sweeps in question:

1. The holes to hold the sweep in place are apparently in the factory locations but even GM was nice enough to put the holes in the sweep and in my door in different locations. I had to elongate all the holes to get the strip to line up with the holes in my door. The tops of the holes to what would be the bottom outside edge of the sweep (the part that rests on the paint) vary from about .250-.350 or something like that. The tops of the holes in my factory sweep and my door were all at .450 down. You may need to check your sweep and car to see if the holes line up and if not, do what GM did. Put the holes where they need to be.

2. The GM sweep has the felt bars lined up with the felt bars on the opposite side of the glass. The sweeps I got from 1A only one lines up, the other is off by about the width of the felt bar. I have not fixed this nor do I know yet if the door is going to pop out from the window but this is something that should be looked into and corrected. It would make sense that they would be in the same locations. My car is an 86, but I also have a junk door off a 91 and its the same way. No pictures at the moment, but I can get some later.

Anyway, the sweeps seem fine to me. I've seen my fair share of aftermarket replacement parts and I really cant complain about these. I'd like to see the felt bar moved but I dont think its all that big of a deal at the moment.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?

got my car out of paint sat. , installed sweeps today . had only small problems , had to elongate 3 holes small amount . used a chainsaw file for this . i kept the old sweeps till new ones were installed , found it had left factory with some screws not installed or holes drilled . with a little trouble drilled holes & installed missing screws . i have aftermarket pwr. windows so that didn't help , windows don't retract as far . all in all , i'm very happy with results . good deal . PS. a can of silicone spray helps rubber not curl on outer lip . will buy from them again .
Old 09-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

looks like an awesome product but my window sweeps are brand new but if my sweeps go i now know where to look for a replacement

do you have any t-top drip moldings by any chance?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KITT1983
looks like an awesome product but my window sweeps are brand new but if my sweeps go i now know where to look for a replacement

do you have any t-top drip moldings by any chance?
I don't yet, it's in the works .
Old 11-27-2009, 11:01 PM

Car: Restoring 85 IROC-Z, 89 5.0 notch
Engine: to be 383
Transmission: T-5 and T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27in IROC and 3.55 in mustang

I have a question for those of you who have removed your outer window sweeps/weatherstrip. When I was trying to take mine off I couldn't get to the two middle screws. Even with the bump stop at the bottom of the window broken off. The window just wouldn't go down far enough to get the philips head screw driver on those two screws. Eventually I took the window out of the door. It was quite a bitch to do but it came out. I replaced the motor and am in the process of cleaning the window tracks/ shoring up the foam in the door etc. trying to restore it.

I tried everything I could think of to get to them. I tried pulling on the window while flexing the door panel out but there was no way I could get the screw driver on the screws enough to undo them. Anyway, how did you guys get these off without taking the window out as I am not sure I want to take the passenger side out if I don't have to. Is there a special tool or something?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:21 AM

Car: 84 trans am
Engine: 305 5.0L HO
Transmission: TH350

I would like to know how to get at those 2 screws too, without window removal.
I was lucky and found a very good set of door seals and window felts in the local salvage yard a while back.
Paid $20 or something silly like that for the full set.
My originals were gone completely.
I still need to do the outer door felts but I ran across that same problem.
And I could not see how to get the window out either.
I have since purchased a repair manual but have not undertaken anything to do with window removal and so forth.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

Just check with my GM Guy today.. my drivers door outer sweep has a nick in it..close to paint.. so im replacing it.. Factry GM Part $40

Old 12-05-2009, 09:23 AM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5

Tony, I also need new sweeps, but I have one question, where are these sweeps manufactured? I don't want Chinese parts on my car. But even GM is getting replacement parts made there so I might be out of luck.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

look at the pack it comes in Mine is stamped PART. MADE IN USA.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:18 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5

Originally Posted by articwhiteZ
look at the pack it comes in Mine is stamped PART. MADE IN USA.
Those are the GM kind right?
Old 12-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70

because of this thread i bought a window seal/sweep kit for my S-10 and i was VERY pleased. i'll look into getting the set for my formula when i paint it.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by DartByU
Those are the GM kind right?
yes ill get a photo...

and ill get a photo of the 2 parts nexed to ea other..

i have a small nick on mine driver side sweep..(low. nexed to paint finnish)
the car as alway been inside.. sweep is fine..but the nick bugs me. working a wrinkle out of the door panle. and all the work to get it off. i told my self.. go ahead and fix that to..
Old 12-05-2009, 10:52 PM

OK, new to GM stuff here so . . . . A1 doesn't make T-top weatherstrips? I have an '84 I'm working on and it leaks on the left t-top, at the rear. trying to find a good replacement.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DartByU
Tony, I also need new sweeps, but I have one question, where are these sweeps manufactured? I don't want Chinese parts on my car. But even GM is getting replacement parts made there so I might be out of luck.
I'm not sure where our supplier get them made.The supplier is US based.

Originally Posted by PetesPonies
OK, new to GM stuff here so . . . . A1 doesn't make T-top weatherstrips? I have an '84 I'm working on and it leaks on the left t-top, at the rear. trying to find a good replacement.
Welcome to the site Pete, yes we do carry the GM T-Top seals. I tell everyone, on the T-Top seals don't mix and match and to stay with the same brand up top,to ensure everything will match up correctly.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:27 PM

good . . now normally I would agree with you entirely . BUT . . each side of the t-top is independent of the other right? And one side doesn't leak at all. I'm afraid to mess with something that is fine, understand ?
Old 12-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Former Sponsor

There are two different seals for both sides. I was more or less referring to the seal seal on the outer edge of the T-Top glass.I'd keep that the same as the body seal.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 PM

Car: 1988 camaro
Engine: cammed 3.1
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42

well i know where im gonna shop when i get ready to have my camaro painted