Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Don't buy this headliner set from tpi_parts.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 RS
Engine: 305 TBI (lo3)
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Whatever is stock.
Don't buy this headliner set from tpi_parts.

I bought this set off of ebay from tpi_parts. Its been only two years, with only 1,000 miles, & it started sagging! I contacted the seller, & he said that the life time warranty was only good for the abs, not the material, or glue.

I had to take the liner off breking some trim (the a piller clips). Then I had to pay another $80 to get it recovered. The dude at the shop showed me where they used the glue out of a spry can, & also where their was no glue at all .
The kit was with sail pannels, & sun visors.

The sail pannels have to be held on with velcro, & one of the sun visors has a screw showing, where the other one does not. I had said something about the screw, & the guy just said that most stock camaro's where made that way. Lol. what a waist of $380. . Look him up. Its been two years, & he is still selling this junk.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:27 BW 9 bolt
Re: ont buy this headliner set from tpi_parts.

Originally Posted by STRIKER911
I bought this set off of ebay from tpi_parts. Its been only two years, with only 1,000 miles, & it started sagging! I contacted the seller, & he said that the life time warranty was only good for the abs, not the material, or glue.

I had to take the liner off breking some trim (the a piller clips). Then I had to pay another $80 to get it recovered. The dude at the shop showed me where they used the glue out of a spry can, & also where their was no glue at all .

The sail pannels have to be held on with velcro, & one of the sun visors has a screw showing, where the other one does not. I had said something about the screw, & the guy just said that most stock camaro's where made that way. Lol. what a waist of $380. . Look him up. Its been two years, & he is still selling this junk.
They are probably all made at the same place, no matter who you buy them from. I'm going to have to order one myself, but I have no choice since my original has fell apart.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by 80schild
They are probably all made at the same place, no matter who you buy them from. I'm going to have to order one myself, but I have no choice since my original has fell apart.
Ya the guy did way that the people that made it are the only ones. Then went on to tell me that GM charged $800 for the same set. So what I got from that was, that he knows its junk, but I have no other choice but to buy a new headliner every two years.

My advice is to try, & find the good backing. Then pay around $80 to have it recovered. Hey mine will never break, or distort in any way. That's why they warranty that part for life. Heck, when they ship it, its rolled up in the box.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:43 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 1990 - 5.7
Transmission: Tremec TKO
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt - 3:45

I bought mine from year one, it was just the material and the foam, no abs.
They sell some good quality stuff and I'd buy from them for headliner again. Bought the spray on glue and did it myself. Three years later, still holding no problem. The kit was for headliner, sun visors and sail panels, except I didn't bother with the sun visors, their useless and it looks better without them anyways. Just my
Old 05-08-2009, 08:04 AM

Car: 1971 Camaro

First off, those headliner sets come from the same manufacturer no matter who you buy from, it's not TPI's fault that the headliner started sagging. You could have bought the set from year one, hawks, paddock, ecklers ect.....it would have been the same set.

All they can do is honor the manufacturers warranty, which is probaly stated prior to your purchase or when you bought the merchandise. i'm sure there was a little "quality" assurance card in the box with the stuff. I bet you got a 30 or 90 day warranty on the fabric/glue and lifetime on the abs.

The material most likely doesn't have a lifetime warranty because of the glues...they can go bad after a few years depending on the climate conditions.

In most cases anytime your dealing with materials and solvents a lifetime warranty doesn't apply on that part. Heck I have never seen a body shop give a lifetime warranty on paint...if they did I would never repaint again.

I've spent quite a bit of money with TPI parts and they have always bent over backwards to help me within reason. If you expected them to give you a refund or a brand new headliner after two years, your nuts. I can't think of any place that would do that.

And if you got two years out of the headliner before it started separating your doing good And in the end it all worked out....now your good for another two years or even longer
Old 05-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 88TransAmFreak
First off, those headliner sets come from the same manufacturer no matter who you buy from, it's not TPI's fault that the headliner started sagging. You could have bought the set from year one, hawks, paddock, ecklers ect.....it would have been the same set.

All they can do is honor the manufacturers warranty, which is probaly stated prior to your purchase or when you bought the merchandise. i'm sure there was a little "quality" assurance card in the box with the stuff. I bet you got a 30 or 90 day warranty on the fabric/glue and lifetime on the abs.

The material most likely doesn't have a lifetime warranty because of the glues...they can go bad after a few years depending on the climate conditions.

In most cases anytime your dealing with materials and solvents a lifetime warranty doesn't apply on that part. Heck I have never seen a body shop give a lifetime warranty on paint...if they did I would never repaint again.

I've spent quite a bit of money with TPI parts and they have always bent over backwards to help me within reason. If you expected them to give you a refund or a brand new headliner after two years, your nuts. I can't think of any place that would do that.

And if you got two years out of the headliner before it started separating your doing good And in the end it all worked out....now your good for another two years or even longer

All I have to say is, you gota be on crack if you think that 2 years is all you should get. Bet I get 10 or more now that the right glue was used, & put on the whole headliner. I know that in my case it could have been a one in a thousand case or so, but they should stand behind what they sell better then they do. Its not like I am ragging on something that someone else bought. I paid a lot of money.

At any rate the reason this forum is here is to give feedback on after market parts. I gave mine. Now the next guy will be able to plan ahead. If you buy this set beware. If your putting the headliner up with intent to forget it like I did, then don't.

Also if you bought from year one then maybe they used the right glue, & covered the whole area with it. Its an ebay thing. Half the things I buy their are junk. Like with my door weather stripping that had flaws, or my cell phone battery's that where no good, or the mustang top that didnt fit. Point being that you buy, what you cant see from people that take advatage of that. If its too good to be true, it must be in this day, and age. We have become so blind to that, that even the guys customers rag on me for being mad that I bought junk, lol.

Another thing; who said I wanted my money back? The $80 would have been fine. Not the cost to take it out, or what was broke in doing so, or the time to take it to the shop, or putting it back in the second time. Still hard to see my point? Then see another thread, cause you wont change my mind, & lets keep this civil. Im not a happy person on this subject.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Scamo-2.8
I bought mine from year one, it was just the material and the foam, no abs.
They sell some good quality stuff and I'd buy from them for headliner again. Bought the spray on glue and did it myself. Three years later, still holding no problem. The kit was for headliner, sun visors and sail panels, except I didn't bother with the sun visors, their useless and it looks better without them anyways. Just my
Ya I didnt think about just leaving the visors off. Mine just started falling down when I crank up the music. More parts to buy. I just want the interior done on this car. Its taken me 3 years, cause Im not made of money. The headliner deal was just too much to deal with right now, but I couldn't have all that time, & work damned every time I look at my metal ceiling.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:20 PM

Man are you kidding me? I can't believe it started sagging. I am about to get one myself. The abs one seemed smart considering the Gm card board crap sucks.

PS how much did you pay?

PS can you take a few pics for the rest of us? Headliner and sun visor etc

Last edited by castro; 05-12-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by castro
Man are you kidding me? I can't believe it started sagging. I am about to get one myself. The abs one seemed smart considering the Gm card board crap sucks.

PS how much did you pay?

PS can you take a few pics for the rest of us? Headliner and sun visor etc
With shipping it was close to $300 for the set, but now I have close to $400 in it. The abs is real good, that's just about all that's good though. I mean its nice to have new visors, & sail panels too, but everything in the set is not how it should be (velcro sail's, visor screw showing on one visor.

I can take pic's but they wont be the best cause the stuff is all out of the car, & the headliner is now in the trash. Cost $80 to recover it. I also broke the a pillar trim on one side, getting it back out.

The pics will have to wait though cause im trying to figure out why it wont start now. Getting ready to go on a 5 hour trip to gpas funeral. I will be gone for a few days.

Buy the set its not the worst, just take the headliner, & have it covered by a shop that knows what they are doing. If not, risk it. From what the guy said, was that they where the only ones selling them, besides GM that gets $800 for it.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:26 AM

Still not understanding the whole velcro part of the sunvisors. Its a lot of dough to pay and have the headliner drop in 2 years. Taking the headliner in and out is a pain imo as I have already done it twice.

So the sun visors aren't the OEM style?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E

Still not understanding the whole velcro part of the sunvisors. Its a lot of dough to pay and have the headliner drop in 2 years. Taking the headliner in and out is a pain imo as I have already done it twice.

I believe he was referring to velcro on the sail panels, not the visors. All of the aftermarket sail panels from what I've seen do not have the metal hooks in back to attach them to the car and use velcro.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:39 AM

Car: 86 iroc-z
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 lsd

ive been wanting to buy the headliner kit that has abs but cant you just get black abs to match the rest of interior panels w/o the cloth material? will it look clean as in it will have the same shape as the headliner should without any gaps or things like that? i would like to do that rather than mess with sagging headliner every 2 years
Old 05-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Supreme Member

I believe the ABS is cast in grey, but its been a while since I actually had one in hand. Nothing saying you couldn't just get some plastic dye (like Krylon fusion) and give it a good spraying. However, the holes in place for the dome light and other mounting points may be a bit on the large side and a bit of an eye sore. May want to wait for someone who's gotten the bare ones to chime in.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:02 AM

Yes velcro is for the sail panels. The trouble with the visors is just that one is showing the screw. The other is not. Guy said that it was like that on most factory cars. lol. What a joke right. Until im proven wrong anyways.

Originally Posted by rojas1826
ive been wanting to buy the headliner kit that has abs but cant you just get black abs to match the rest of interior panels w/o the cloth material? will it look clean as in it will have the same shape as the headliner should without any gaps or things like that? i would like to do that rather than mess with sagging headliner every 2 years
Why do that when you can have a brand new one every couple of years? I Hate pulling the headliner.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Supreme Member

Yes velcro is for the sail panels. The trouble with the visors is just that one is showing the screw. The other is not. Guy said that it was like that on most factory cars. lol. What a joke right. Until im proven wrong anyways.
Striker, is yours a hard top or t-top? It seems like they use the same pattern for driver and passenger side on the hard top models, resulting in the mounting screw showing on one side.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:28 AM

Actually your wrong, I have been to the local pull apart and looked at two cars that had the screw showing on one side..these were factory parts.

I have a two sets of factory sun visors in my shop right now, one came from a stock JY hardtop car and the other set came off my current car and the screw shows on one side too.

Hardly a coincidence, it looks like its because of the retaining clip they used to hold the rod to the visor.

Here are a set of those repro visors I purchased and installed on my current car...the screw shows on one side. No big deal to me, I expected it. And they came from TPI parts

But if people are that concerned about quality, you can buy a uncovered headliner panel and have it covered and matched to the materials on the repo visors. This site sells the exact same headliner materials www.yourautotrim.com

As far as the sail panel covers, I don't like the velcro idea....but you can buy used plastic sail panels with the hooks all day long on eBay...just cover to match. GM switch from cardboard to plastic later in the 3rd gen run.

Heck I have two spare sets in my shop
Old 05-13-2009, 08:53 AM

[quote=88TransAmFreak;4156259]Actually your wrong, I have been to the local pull apart and looked at two cars that had the screw showing on one side..these were factory parts.

I have a two sets of factory sun visors in my shop right now, one came from a stock JY hardtop car and the other set came off my current car and the screw shows on one side too.

Hardly a coincidence, it looks like its because of the retaining clip they used to hold the rod to the visor.

Thanks for clearing that up, with the same visors, from the same guy. Ill have to see it for myself. Ill look at every Camaro I see now lol. At any rate, I agree about the screw thing not being a big deal. I was just trying to point out the things that I had let slide, with not so much as even a question when the stuff was bought. When the sag hit me in the head, is when the other things started to bother me. Hey we can only let so much slide right.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 1A Dan
Striker, is yours a hard top or t-top? It seems like they use the same pattern for driver and passenger side on the hard top models, resulting in the mounting screw showing on one side.
Ya its a hard top.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:38 AM

Thank you for the photo!!

Yes the factory sunvisors had 1 of the visors with a screw showing. I have at least 4 sets of visors all the same.

Ok so the sails have velcro, I see. I wonder if you can just pop the material onto the sails we have keeping the metal brackets and/or take the metal brackets and add them to the new sails.

88TransAmFreak, from the picture seems that material isn't fully flat almost like theres a bit of a bump. Is it just me or just the photo?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:46 AM

Thank you for the photo!!

Yes the factory sunvisors had 1 of the visors with a screw showing. I have at least 4 sets of visors all the same.

Ok so the sails have velcro, I see. I wonder if you can just pop the material onto the sails we have keeping the metal brackets and/or take the metal brackets and add them to the new sails.

88TransAmFreak, from the picture seems that material isn't fully flat almost like theres a bit of a bump. Is it just me or just the photo?
I have the t-top sunvisors, they have a little curve to them, that's the hump (from the material) you see in the pictures. It settles a bit and are not noticeable when installed.

I don't see why you can't add the brackets to the repro sail panels...you need to pop rivet them in place. It's just easier to get the oem gm plastic sail panels and cover them yourself.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Supreme Member

I agree with 88TransAm, if you want to install the sail panels like stock, you may want to just recover a set of the plastic ones. I never got lucky with mine; they were all the cardboard versions.

but, if you did order the kit already and got the new sail panels, a good heavy duty velcro will work well as long as you clean the plastic pieces its being mounted to. I used some of the heavy duty stuff on my taillight blackouts and never had any issues with them staying on.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:27 BW 9 bolt

There's a member here on TGO that also sells these kits (Jim Irace). He gives you the option of getting the matching fabric to recover your sail panels instead of getting the new ones. He pretty much tells you that the new ones are different and not to expect much.

http://www.iroczone.com/motorsports/faq.htm#headliner

http://www.iroczone.com/motorsports/...headliners.htm
Old 05-13-2009, 12:29 PM

I'm curious, does anyone know where I can purchase a uncovered abs t-top headliner? I haven't seen anyone specifically list them by themselves.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:24 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc Camaro
Engine: Stock 350 TPI

i think classic industries and yearone sell them uncovered
Old 05-13-2009, 01:26 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc Camaro
Engine: Stock 350 TPI

http://www.classicindustries.com/con...&currentPage=4
Old 05-15-2009, 04:52 PM

Re: Don't buy this headliner set from tpi_parts.

Ya I bet that's what I will end up doing, is adding the brackets. I never even put them in yet so they are still just like the day I got them. Too bad the headliner craped out before I could finish the interior lol. Crazy.