Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Warning! Dont buy TCI

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 iroc-z, 86 trans am
Engine: lt1
Transmission: 700r4 tci streetfighter
Axle/Gears: '02 10 bolt, slp auburn diff
Warning! Dont buy TCI

i bought a tci 700r4 streetfighter to put behind a 300hp 350. it "can handle the rigors of even the toughest street machines up to 450hp" yeah right. i only drove normal in it, it worked well at 1st, barked the tires and everything, until 5k miles went by. one day i was merging onto the highway, i nail the gas, it downshifts to 2nd, goes to shift into 3rd and BANG! then it just slips. if u rev it up to 5000rpm itll go bout 2mph, it does this in all gears, and no line pressure. awesome... so i call tci.. they say sorry its 2 months out of warranty.. but if i want to pay to ship it there and back, they will fix it for $700. great idea ill just hand u guys $1000 every 5k miles good thinking. so i ask to talk to manager, no one is there. i leave a message. call back a few days later and leave another message. ive left 10 messages, that was bout 40 days ago, still no word. i ended up buy a 5 speed, ive given up on autos. i dont want a 350/400 because of no overdrive, and im not gettin another 700r4, and not buying a 4l80e w its 1000 dollar controller. just wanted to let u guys know... so u dont end up like me with a $2000 paper weight
Old 12-27-2008, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 1LE
Engine: 370CID GenIII
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 4.33 Moser 9inch
Re: Warning! Dont buy TCI

who installed the trans? was the tv cable adjusted properly? TCI is a reputable company without proof of inferior parts in the trans, id lean twords improper installation...................................sorry happens to the best of us.....
Old 12-27-2008, 11:43 PM

Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: L98 350 w/carb
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.23

This is why I'm considering putting a Built TH350 in my car instead of another built 700R4. I hear about this with 700R4's and then I hear of other people who never have these problems.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedMetalT/A
This is why I'm considering putting a Built TH350 in my car instead of another built 700R4. I hear about this with 700R4's and then I hear of other people who never have these problems.
and 9 times out of 10 its the TV system, look into bowtieoverdrives.com for a good built 700r4
Old 12-28-2008, 12:54 AM

Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: L98 350 w/carb
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by igotta355z28
and 9 times out of 10 its the TV system, look into bowtieoverdrives.com for a good built 700r4
Thanks I'll have to check them out.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro
Engine: Dart SHP 406 HSR, LE heads
Transmission: Performabuilt Level 2, Vig 3200
Axle/Gears: S60 373

I have a Performabuilt Transmission and Torque Converter...I'm happy with their products. Frank is very helpful too
Old 12-28-2008, 11:02 AM

Car: 1992 GTA
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10

I ran a TCI 2400 converter behind a 12 second GTA and thought it was a great converter for the money. I sold the car in 2005 and as of this fall the kid was running the converter.

I had trouble on the 2-3 shift not holding on a 100 shot of nitrous but that was valve body related. Once the gremlins were worked out the 700R4(with a Pro-Biult kit) and the TCI converter took nothing but abuse and worked perfectly.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:39 PM

i installed it, unlike most people in message boards, im an ASE certified master tech, and thats how i make my living. the tv cable was fine, if it wasnt the result would be low line pressure, and short stacked shifts. my trans shifted very hard with great main pressure, it always chirped the tires when it shifted up to 3rd gear... the last time it did however, it was accompanied by a loud bang, and then nothing.. something in the pump broke.. i still haven't taken it apart cause i was hoping they might stop ignoring me and warranty it.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:41 PM

"TCI is a reputable company" give them a call 662-224-8972.. tell them your trans just blew up and you need it replaced... see if you ever here from them.. im not going on a killing spree here just want to save you guys from making the same mistake i did.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:57 PM

and im not saying that somethin didnt break, and that u didnt install it properly. problem is that it broke after warranty, that happens, its not like it was built so that it would break after warranty so they could screw you. Sucks man, but hey take it apart and fix it, a 700r4 isnt that hard of a trans to work on. You aparently have the knowledge to do so, so do it and dont expect a company to bend their policies to make one person happy.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:11 PM

that answer would be alot better if someone from tci would call and tell me that. however they wont, but if me and 10 of my friends called wanting to purchase one, there would be more than enough people to help. even if the product was good, which it wasnt, its terrible customer service. the description was a trans that could handle anything a 450hp engine could dish out, not one that snaps after 300hp of normal driving. i bought it for my truck, which i need to hual, often from places hrs away, i bought it for dependability, so im not putting that back it.. fortunatly it broke while i was close to home. its already fixed but now it has a nv4500 5 speed.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:07 PM

apparently i was one of the last people to find out tci sucks

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140833
Old 12-29-2008, 01:31 AM
TGO Supporter

Location: Avatar: My 34' 1989 Scarab III w/ twin 454's (502's Started!)
Car: 1989 Wellcraft Scarab III
Engine: Twin 454's
Axle/Gears: Twin Mercruiser Bravo I's

TCI is particularly not bad with their TH350's and TH400's. But when it comes to 700R4's, etc., I personally like and advise Pro-Built. I've owned two Pro-Built 700R4's that have been absolutley as described, and coupled with Vigilante converters. Dana is a first class guy and won't sell you something just to sell it unless something has drastically changed since last I checked.

http://www.700r4l60e.com/
Old 12-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73

That's the problem with 700R4's, they all say the will take "450-600 HP"
problem is ....they never say for how long.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

IM not trying to be a jerk or anything, BUT.......

If you are an ase master tech(as I am also) why dont you just build your own transmission? Surely you have worked on a few autos, right? The GM RWD overdrive transmission is one of the easiest in the world to work on. I rebuild them in my garage about 2-3 a month now. You could easily tear it down, fix it, and maybe even upgrade it for far less than swapping a manual into it. Maybe we just dont think the same way though.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 AM

while i can rebuild it, i dont know waht it take to make it hold up, apparently tci hadnt figured it out either, and i need something reliable. no more 700r's for me, i would trust a 400 but need the od. the nv4500 is a beast and i got a crazy deal on it with everything i needed, the guy i bought it from was swapping to an auto, i got 800 in it w/ my brand new centerforce dual friction clutch. cummins boys put 1000 ft lbs to those trans and they take it

Originally Posted by ljnowell
IM not trying to be a jerk or anything, BUT.......

If you are an ase master tech(as I am also) why dont you just build your own transmission? Surely you have worked on a few autos, right? The GM RWD overdrive transmission is one of the easiest in the world to work on. I rebuild them in my garage about 2-3 a month now. You could easily tear it down, fix it, and maybe even upgrade it for far less than swapping a manual into it. Maybe we just dont think the same way though.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:37 AM

i would definately not knock u for not building your own trans, but id definately rebuild it and sell it to recoop some money, and the trans ur using now should be a good choice........
Old 01-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 90 IROC-Z
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M6
Axle/Gears: 9" spooled 3.70

Originally Posted by igotta355z28
dont expect a company to bend their policies to make one person happy.
I had my 700r4 rebuilt locally and they honored the warranty after it expired(one month).
Old 01-02-2009, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by 92purplehaze
I had my 700r4 rebuilt locally and they honored the warranty after it expired(one month).
yes some exceptional companies will go the extra step i was just sayin dont expect them too.........
Old 01-02-2009, 02:16 AM

Car: 1989 Iroc Z T-Topin
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt

Eatmyshift.com ....nuff said
Old 01-07-2009, 04:45 PM

Well it seams that the one with the blown or broken item is always right and that he tell 27 people if he has bad luck and only 4 if things work right, that is a national consumers report average.
In this case TCI is wrong and guilty of only one thing "NOT CALLING A CUSTOMER WITH A PROBLEM in or out of warranty. I hope they don't do it to me if I have a problem in the future.

I have Thousands of TCI 700R4 logged miles with older 700R4 and one new with the constant pressure valve body. No problem and the smoothest shifting quietest running of all trans I have run in this car at 425HP all cruisen miles no launches but everthings else. I believe that the constant pressure vavle body is the answer to TV cable problems in the adjustment area which will get you if it is wrong. Many old dogs say its bad it this and all the expert opinions to be negitive if they are such experts than why do they not own an operate a multi million dollar trans house and make the perfect trans there are a couple of very big mouth guys that just think with there xxx posting on this site. I agree that all who build a mechanical item are going to make a bad item, but until you have proof of a break down its not the part. Oh ya if you realy dig into a trans warranty most any tranny below "drag" strip built once you launch it you wrong. We all do it and everyone knows it's putting a load on the unit that can break it at any time. I thnk you said this is a truck and if that is true maybe you strand it, only takes one weak part, but that could also be TCI problem send them pictures of the part that failed certified ,fo one more round than if you can prove the part was bad at install send them alegal letter and go to small claim court. I did and it worked with good proof.

Go get them for my sake I hope your wrong as I own their products.
----------
Well it seams that the one with the blown or broken item is always right and that he tell 27 people if he has bad luck and only 4 if things work right, that is a national consumers report average.
In this case TCI is wrong and guilty of only one thing "NOT CALLING A CUSTOMER WITH A PROBLEM in or out of warranty. I hope they don't do it to me if I have a problem in the future.

I have Thousands of TCI 700R4 logged miles with older 700R4 and one new with the constant pressure valve body. No problem and the smoothest shifting quietest running of all trans I have run in this car at 425HP all cruisen miles no launches but everthings else. I believe that the constant pressure vavle body is the answer to TV cable problems in the adjustment area which will get you if it is wrong. Many old dogs say its bad it this and all the expert opinions to be negitive if they are such experts than why do they not own an operate a multi million dollar trans house and make the perfect trans there are a couple of very big mouth guys that just think with there xxx posting on this site. I agree that all who build a mechanical item are going to make a bad item, but until you have proof of a break down its not the part. Oh ya if you realy dig into a trans warranty most any tranny below "drag" strip built once you launch it you wrong. We all do it and everyone knows it's putting a load on the unit that can break it at any time. I thnk you said this is a truck and if that is true maybe you strand it, only takes one weak part, but that could also be TCI problem send them pictures of the part that failed certified ,fo one more round than if you can prove the part was bad at install send them alegal letter and go to small claim court. I did and it worked with good proof.

Last edited by el chromeo; 01-07-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

i thought 1700 for the tranny was too much anyway. a loca l shop can build it for less than that.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by el chromeo

----------

wow, my head hurts now.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:35 AM

Car: 86 berlinetta 92rs gfx
Engine: 4 bolt 384 stroker
Transmission: th350 4000 stall manual/T brake
Axle/Gears: 87 iroc 9 bolt

Originally Posted by ljnowell
wow, my head hurts now.
yea, did anyone understand a word of that?

i have heard nothing but bad sh*t about tci convertors, even the 1000$ restallables. the trannys, nobody around here runs them in there race cars.

just cause there a multi million dollar company just mean there succsessful, look at jasper! ive put 4 of there engines in cars at work and 3 of them had to be replaced instantly! 2 had no oil pressure, 1 had a sticky valve. jasper warrantied them and paid me to replace them with no problem cause its not uncommon with there crap. quality control is everything!

Last edited by iroc a 86 berli; 01-17-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:11 AM

Car: 91 firebird
Engine: sb2.2 headed sbnos
Transmission: tsi glide
Axle/Gears: 4.30

I had that exact convertor in my car running low 12s all day for awhile. Never a problem. I have since switched to a th350. My car picked up nearly a second by switching to the th350 and going a lil larger w my headers. just my .02
Old 01-21-2009, 04:00 PM

Car: 1992 25th Anniv. RS T-Tops
Engine: 305 TBI - POS
Transmission: Stock Auto -?
Axle/Gears: stock - ?

Originally Posted by iroc a 86 berli
yea, did anyone understand a word of that?

i have heard nothing but bad sh*t about tci convertors, even the 1000$ restallables. the trannys, nobody around here runs them in there race cars.

just cause there a multi million dollar company just mean there succsessful, look at jasper! ive put 4 of there engines in cars at work and 3 of them had to be replaced instantly! 2 had no oil pressure, 1 had a sticky valve. jasper warrantied them and paid me to replace them with no problem cause its not uncommon with there crap. quality control is everything!
I know lots of guys with Jasper engines, no one has had a problem, they're a reputable dealer for high quality engines and parts, I don't know what happened with your stuff.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:25 AM

there import engines are crap, i know of multipul shops that have had problems with them.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by iroc a 86 berli
there import engines are crap, i know of multipul shops that have had problems with them.

I think I know the problem. You said it yourself. Import. There in lies the problem.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by SpecialK47150
I think I know the problem. You said it yourself. Import. There in lies the problem.
honestly the engines (mitsubishi) i work everyday are very reliable. its when the tuner boys crank up there boost, and dont compensate the fuel, then detonate. or break the ring lands off.

Last edited by iroc a 86 berli; 01-22-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 AM

I know, I was joking. I know a guy with a Mitsubishi Galant, and hes not a car guy, hasn't opened the hood since he bought it, has over 100k miles on it now, still no problems, I can't believe it, its never had an oil change or anything, lol.

But like you said, performance wise, they're not the greatest, American made 8 cylinders do it more reliably and sound a HELL of a lot better while doing it.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:12 AM

acually when done right, the 2.0 turbo motor will handle 500hp with stock internals. push em further and you will need better pistons. i would rec your buddy to at least change his oil and replace the timing belt and that car will go well over 200,000
Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 AM

I keep telling him I'll change it for him for free, he just says nah, no need, don't fix it till its broke, lol.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:59 AM

lol, to bad when it ruins the crank and cylinders from sludge clogging all the oil plumbing he will need a short block, and when the timing belt breaks and a piston nails the valves he will be doing a 1000+ dollar head job on top of a timing belt. instead of a 300 dollar t belt job, and a $20 oil change. oh well, not my ride. i assume its an old beater that will just get replaced all together. anyways this threads about tci, so ill shut up now.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:01 PM

Yeah, this is my last post about it too, lol.

Its a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant, a nice sedan actually, he just is completely oblivious when it comes to cars
Old 01-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Camaro Z28
Engine: 400
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt Posi 3.73

I'd never buy from a large company like that. The only way is to have work done locally WHENEVER possible. You'll get better service and better quality from a reputable local builder. You might pay a bit more but it's worth every penny.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Codename 47
I'd never buy from a large company like that. The only way is to have work done locally WHENEVER possible. You'll get better service and better quality from a reputable local builder. You might pay a bit more but it's worth every penny.