Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

UMI non adjustable LCA

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 84 firebird
Engine: 400 sbc
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.08
UMI non adjustable LCA

I got my non adjustable UMI LCA's today. The finish was great and the Directions were clear. I Got the UMI LCA's and Panhardbar kit from Byunspeed for $176 shipped to my door. I didn't get the Panhardbar yet, but from how it was explained to me, UMI drop shipped the Control arms and Byunspeed shipped the panhard bar..

If anyone needs quality suspension parts I highly recommend UMI!! I am one happy customer. I also have their th350 adjustable torque arm..

Matt
Old 08-03-2008, 03:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Re: UMI non adjustable LCA

i ordered all of those together and got them on one loooong *** box all at once. good luck hammering all that crap in
Old 08-03-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula (sold)

Originally Posted by samiam91RS
i ordered all of those together and got them on one loooong *** box all at once. good luck hammering all that crap in
it only crap if you have a out of spec car
Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Slowfast!

Yes Byunspeed must have had the panhard bars in stock and out of the control arms.. so we drop shipped it for them.

Thanks again,
Ryan
Old 08-04-2008, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by SLP-GTA
it only crap if you have a out of spec car
oh im sorry. for your information there was a post about some of UMI's stuff not fitting on sugly at all and having a hard time to get them on. doesnt mean its out of spec, just gotta use so bains and strength. someting you prolly dont and never will have, retard.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 PM

oh im sorry. for your information there was a post about some of UMI's stuff not fitting on sugly at all and having a hard time to get them on. doesnt mean its out of spec, just gotta use so bains and strength. someting you prolly dont and never will have, retard.
coming from a low life POS like you, I take that as a compliment...
Old 08-04-2008, 09:19 PM

a compliment? i guess you are one of those thats never turned a wrench on your car ever before and never will.

i guess they give licenses to little kids now a days? or does your daddy own a 91 formy? whatever, im done with you dude. kick rocks.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Car: 82 Trans Am
Engine: 13:1 383 stroker on e85
Transmission: t-56
Axle/Gears: ford 9" locker 3.70

wow started as a quality review post anyway......
Old 08-04-2008, 09:54 PM

yea it just gets me why people have to make comments like that. yea i was in the wrong even replying to that stuff, but its just not even worth anyones time
Old 08-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

you guys can't be serious, what are we 12?

i have a lot of UMI's parts and they are fit perfectly.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:06 PM

Car: 82 Trans Am
Engine: 13:1 383 stroker on e85
Transmission: t-56
Axle/Gears: ford 9" locker 3.70

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
you guys can't be serious, what are we 12?
i second that notion
Old 08-04-2008, 10:29 PM

yea it just gets me why people have to make comments like that. yea i was in the wrong even replying to that stuff, but its just not even worth anyones time

Stop making stupidass comments about UMI products and it won't provoke me to respond.

eta: not useful to thread

Last edited by SLP-GTA; 08-06-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 PM

what are you? UMI's lawyer or something??

apparently someone at UMI was messing **** up, yea i got it on, great stuff, and if it was that bad and i didnt like it i'd go with something else. i recommend UMI's stuff but just be prepared to make some **** fit, thats all. this is a review board about UMI's stuff, not SLP GTA
Old 08-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Supreme Member

so what did you have that didnt fit? LCARB's?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.70

I have UMI's relocation brackets and lower control arms. I had to bang the relocation brackets in a little, but they fit great and everything bolted up fine. Just because something needs a little work to fit, doesn't mean that it is junk. Most of these aftermarket companies have a test fit vehicle to try all the parts on. Not all cars are the same. They can vary do to age, accidents, production plants. They have excellent products and I plan to buy a lot more from them.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 84 firebird
Engine: 400 sbc
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.08

I got the Panhard bar in yesterday and I put it in today. The installation seemed to be pretty easy But I don't think today was my day.. I broke my air dam in the morning, It took me like 2 hours to get the bar off because my mind was in the wrong place, I had to have a buddy knock a bolt loose cause i just couldn't get comfortable with the wrench to break the bolt loose. The directions were clear and I did need a buddy to pull on my drivers side wheel to make the holes line up. Unfortunately My buddy is pretty stupid and put a hole in my garage wall

Tips.

save grease from which ever package you get first If you have two shipments.

on the passenger side put that in first and then put the bolt in with the threads facing the rear of the car..

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GETTING THE BOLT KITS!

UMI HAS ONE GREAT PRODUCT! I now have UMI LCA, PHB and a torque arm! Subframe connectors are next and I cant wait till I get my K member and a arms, eventually I will get Cromoly double adjustable LCA and PHB from UMI

Its safe to say UMI will be an exclusive chassis/suspension part on my car.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:33 PM

yupp LCARB's PAN HARD BAR, AND LCA's.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by TMZIrocZ350
I have UMI's relocation brackets and lower control arms. I had to bang the relocation brackets in a little, but they fit great and everything bolted up fine. Just because something needs a little work to fit, doesn't mean that it is junk. Most of these aftermarket companies have a test fit vehicle to try all the parts on. Not all cars are the same. They can vary do to age, accidents, production plants. They have excellent products and I plan to buy a lot more from them.
well, i had to bang everything in, but thats not the point. i was just giving the guy a heads up on the aftermarket stuff.

and like i SAID earlier, i posted about having problems with the products and more people replied saying that they had problems and that someone actually contacted UMI and they said their welder was messing up on the tig/mig welds and putting too much or something. you can look it up if you want.
i never said it was junk, if you dont understand. if it were junk id throw the stuff away or send it back, but i still roll with it because its good stuff. good job umi.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:04 PM

Car: Iroc
Engine: 350 4-bolt
Transmission: T5 non-W/C
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Open

are there relocation brackets bolt in? Are Bolt in sytle LCARBs safe? Spohn only offers theres in weld in style.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Supreme Member

yupp LCARB's PAN HARD BAR, AND LCA's.
no new part is going to just fall in, they are supposed to be snug fitting, if not the extra slop will cause them to flex and possible break mounts.

As for the LCARB's, i have heard from a few different people that they are usually pulled together and need to be spread to fit on the rear. Is it really that hard to do, not worth bitching about IMO.

As for the bolt on LCARB, they are powdercoated to banging on them can mess up the powdercoat, but in all honesty, i feel that the bolt on aspect should only be so that you can install them and then drive to have them welded in, its a part that sees a lot of stress and really should be welded not just bolted.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:50 PM

haha ok. So I can bolt them in and then weld them on, but don't have to worry about them falling off as long as i don't drive hard. Got it.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Bolt-ons should only be temporarily bolted on, to get to your welder.

Yes, you could drive it for a time u til you can get them welded on, but I personally wouldn't trust them for autocross or drag racing, or just hard street racing.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
no new part is going to just fall in, they are supposed to be snug fitting, if not the extra slop will cause them to flex and possible break mounts.

As for the LCARB's, i have heard from a few different people that they are usually pulled together and need to be spread to fit on the rear. Is it really that hard to do, not worth bitching about IMO.

As for the bolt on LCARB, they are powdercoated to banging on them can mess up the powdercoat, but in all honesty, i feel that the bolt on aspect should only be so that you can install them and then drive to have them welded in, its a part that sees a lot of stress and really should be welded not just bolted.
no ones bitching, just giving people a heads up on what to expect, this IS what this section is for afterall right?

i banged mine in but i put some cushioning between so i wouldnt mess up the powdercoating.

need to be spread to fit....hmm wheres that spreader tool....c mon man i understand snug, but that **** isnt snug. at least not my set. and if thats the case maybe they should include that in the instructuions.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Banned

need to be spread to fit....hmm wheres that spreader tool....c mon man i understand snug, but that **** isnt snug. at least not my set. and if thats the case maybe they should include that in the instructuions.
If you are referring to the relocation brackets than yes we make them fit snug... this is not a item you want loose on there. The problem is not every rear end is the same... GM has some open tolerances as well... one control arm mount can be wider then the other, even a 1/16" of an inch will make the brackets appear tight. Also on a 3rd gen the rear ends being 15-20 years old build of rust which will need wire wheel off and cleaned very well in order for the brackets to slide in place. We see this often on the 3rd gen cars due to there age.

Hope that helps
Old 08-18-2008, 11:25 AM

I just ordered the relocation brackets. What should i use to spread it to put it on. And where should they be welded? Should i weld on the piece that goes to the shock bolt???
Old 08-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Banned

There is a 99.99% chance they will not need spread... however if your rear end is rusty the control arm mounts will need cleaned off very good and a rubber mallet to tap them in place. If you have the bolt on version you will not need to weld them.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2008, 11:41 AM

I know you don't have to weld the bolt on ones, but when i asked everyone if i could just leave them bolted they said i can but they don't recommend driving it hard at all. They said there better to bolt on and drive somewhere to get them welded on.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Banned

Welding is always ideal but we have not had an issue with the bolt on versions. It would be up to you.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:48 AM

okay. Thanks. I'm excited to get them haha. : )
I hope i get a sticker!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Josh R
I know you don't have to weld the bolt on ones, but when i asked everyone if i could just leave them bolted they said i can but they don't recommend driving it hard at all. They said there better to bolt on and drive somewhere to get them welded on.
everyone here has their own recommendations, someone does this or that, and they tell everyone to follow them. UMI offers the bolt on and weld on versions so if the bolt on's werent safe im sure the only option would be weld. so, all our stock suspension stuff if bolted on right??? and you mean to tell me almost 20 years later nothing's happened so it doesnt need to be welded. just torque em down.

i didnt "tap" mine in i put it in place and used a floor jack to press it into place (cause theyre a pain in the d!ick) to get em in. keep in mind i had mines on a frame lift so i moved the jack around to my advantage.

i didnt get a sticker either......bummer.

have fun and let us know how it goes.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

everyone here has their own recommendations, someone does this or that, and they tell everyone to follow them. UMI offers the bolt on and weld on versions so if the bolt on's werent safe im sure the only option would be weld. so, all our stock suspension stuff if bolted on right??? and you mean to tell me almost 20 years later nothing's happened so it doesnt need to be welded. just torque em down.
The stock LCA brackets are welded on, not bolted. The only bolted on pieces are the ones that move. Shocks & the LCAs themselves.

So no.... ".....our stock suspension stuff if bolted on right???" They aren't.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 350 TBI W/all Ultimate TBI Mods
Transmission: 700R4 Stage 4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.27

UMI here as well! I could not be more pleased. Very straight forward install. Had a bit of an issue with welding the passenger side sub-frame connector. Had to re-route the hedman y-pipe, but it was no big deal.

Installed the non-adj lower control arms, single pan hard bar, non-adj torque arm, weld on sub-frame connectors and the front steering brace.

Here are a few pics for you to check out.

Thanks UMI!!!
Attached Thumbnails UMI non adjustable LCA-104_1636.jpg   UMI non adjustable LCA-img00141.jpg   UMI non adjustable LCA-img00154.jpg  
Old 08-19-2008, 07:38 PM

I'll bolt them in like hell then weld them. Thanks. And that Jack pressed in is a great idea.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:53 PM

I just re-read some of your posts. The UMI sub-frame connectors that I installed are considered weld-ons. They weld up front and bolt in the rear where the lower control arms attach. I don't know of any that weld at both ends. Yes there are ones that bolt in front and in the rear. Those I DO NOT recommend as the stability is far less than the weld ons. You will obviously need to grind the powder coating off where you intend on welding.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen
The stock LCA brackets are welded on, not bolted. The only bolted on pieces are the ones that move. Shocks & the LCAs themselves.

So no.... ".....our stock suspension stuff if bolted on right???" They aren't.
shocks, lower control arms, panhard bar, torque arm and the shaft and complete rear end, etc. ARE held all together by bolts. yea the stock ones are welded on, so there ya go. theres the welds.

the engine bolts all up, so would you weld that too??

its something to think about yea, but unless your maybe drag racing or something....and even then....
Old 08-19-2008, 09:59 PM

LMAO!!!! SAM!!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Josh R
I'll bolt them in like hell then weld them. Thanks. And that Jack pressed in is a great idea.
ohhh yea, trust me it was the best thing!! haha, especially since i did the whole rear end swap and susp parts by myself.

work smarter not harder.
----------
Originally Posted by dctrumpet
LMAO!!!! SAM!!!!

me??

Last edited by samiam91RS; 08-19-2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-19-2008, 10:05 PM

Love the idea of welding the engine in too, lol