Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Best place for a short block?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4 edge 3000 stall
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.73
Best place for a short block?

I'm looking for the best place for a 350 roller short block. Anyone know place thats got the cheapest prices?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: F1R Procharged 383
Transmission: Tremec 600
Axle/Gears: moser 12 bolt, 4.11's 33 spline axl
Re: Best place for a short block?

Originally Posted by Rayzor32
I'm looking for the best place for a 350 roller short block. Anyone know place thats got the cheapest prices?

cheap and good don't go hand in hand......especially for engines.

if you want the cheapest possible short block you can find, don't be upset when it bites the big one.

Golen's is great though, good prices and excellent quality and guarantee......good friends of mine, they've been doing my machine work for years now.......

Here's some pics of their shop, where we're putting my motor back together now.....I'd look them up.

engine assembly room:

machine shop:
Old 12-14-2007, 01:16 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: T56

hmm, looks nice and a great site, but thier prices on thier engines are pretty high.. you probly can get the same engines for a cheaper price on jegs..
Old 12-14-2007, 01:38 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 383 Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 9 bolt Posi

checkout http://www.blueprintengines.com/
Old 12-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Demon_Eater
hmm, looks nice and a great site, but thier prices on thier engines are pretty high.. you probly can get the same engines for a cheaper price on jegs..
read what i wrote......

you buy a cheap, cookie cutter engine......you get what you pay for.

there's no shortcuts in performance......unfortunately most people like to learn the hardway and actually end up spending alot more money than the just the cost of the higher quality engine........because they end up having to do everything twice, or more.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87IROC, 740iBMW, 328iBMW, 86GMC
Engine: 5.7, 4.4LV8, 2.8, 6.0
Transmission: Manuals & Auto's
Axle/Gears: 3.27, 3.42

This might make a nice start:
http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=22861

Check out their other offers. You might find something in your price range.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

an idea of a budget would also help us direct you. Are you looking for a performance shortblock, or a stock replacement? Then zz shortblocks are nice, but for the same money, about 2500$ you can get a superior shortblock, with forged cranks, h-beams, and forged pistons, in either a 350 or 383 form, from T and L engine development. I bought my 408 complete from them and their quality is top-notch and they have great prices. Here is a link to their e-bay store short block section with 383's, or you can check out their website or give them a call, they are great people to deal with and will build you ANYTHING you want and stand behind it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/350-C...2225QQtcZphoto
Old 12-14-2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by 383backinblack
read what i wrote......

there's no shortcuts in performance......unfortunately most people like to learn the hardway and actually end up spending alot more money than the just the cost of the higher quality engine........because they end up having to do everything twice, or more.
true, but even if you beleive something like that, its not all true, friend and me know a great place for engines for great prices, for good performance, he has been buying from them for six years, and he loves it. most places like the one your showing is pretty high, but if you would raither pay for an engine that isnt worth that much to pay for, then be it. just saying, there is better prices to find engines.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX

call and Talk to Neil Clayton at Wide open Throttle Performance.
A good friend of mine.
Always in Popular hot Rod magazines "Engine Masters Challange"

He builds everything from stock to 2000+ HP funny car motors.
http://www.wotperf.com
ph: 330-856-7900
fax: 330-856-7900
Old 12-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Supreme Member

true, but even if you beleive something like that, its not all true, friend and me know a great place for engines for great prices, for good performance, he has been buying from them for six years, and he loves it. most places like the one your showing is pretty high, but if you would raither pay for an engine that isnt worth that much to pay for, then be it. just saying, there is better prices to find engines.
no....its true 100% of the time, and for good reason. If you've ever assembled an engine before....and done it RIGHT, you know how meticulous and time consuming a process it is......

in order to be able to do that correctly to a very high standard, and stay in business you need to charge enough money for the time it takes to build. Anyone can throw together an SBC in a few hours without paying attention to much detail.....that will probably survive 300-400hp no problem.....

but elevate that to 500, 600, 700 + horsepower, and then all the little things really start to matter.....how close are your oil clearances in your mains? are they even straight? what about the cam bearings and rod bearing clearances?

if you're thinking about 400hp, then that doesnt matter much to you, but here's what does matter......what happens in 2 years when 400hp isn't exciting anymore.....now you want 600hp? then you have to question if your engine is built to handle that power......and potentially build/buy another one.

you're way better off buying one, very well built engine than 3 that were just assembled. theres more to that process than just the kind of parts.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Supreme Member

no....its true 100% of the time, and for good reason. If you've ever assembled an engine before....and done it RIGHT, you know how meticulous and time consuming a process it is......

in order to be able to do that correctly to a very high standard, and stay in business you need to charge enough money for the time it takes to build. Anyone can throw together an SBC in a few hours without paying attention to much detail.....that will probably survive 300-400hp no problem.....

but elevate that to 500, 600, 700 + horsepower, and then all the little things really start to matter.....how close are your oil clearances in your mains? are they even straight? what about the cam bearings and rod bearing clearances?

if you're thinking about 400hp, then that doesnt matter much to you, but here's what does matter......what happens in 2 years when 400hp isn't exciting anymore.....now you want 600hp? then you have to question if your engine is built to handle that power......and potentially build/buy another one.

you're way better off buying one, very well built engine than 3 that were just assembled. theres more to that process than just the kind of parts.
I'll agree and disagree with you too.... Im all for a good built but it NOT always gotta break the bank or cost 8k

Example:
How long till it grenades? New teardown pix. 65 dyno pulls and 30 drag runs!
700+ RWHP on a JUNK YARD 350
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...?topic=61219.0
Old 12-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by TPl383
I'll agree and disagree with you too.... Im all for a good built but it NOT always gotta break the bank or cost 8k

Example:
How long till it grenades? New teardown pix. 65 dyno pulls and 30 drag runs!
700+ RWHP on a JUNK YARD 350
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...?topic=61219.0
those type of examples are all totally non-descript.......

thats like the people that SWEAR a t5 is a great performance transmission that will stand up to hundreds of launches with 500hp.......just because someone got lucky once, and it acutally happened.....doesn't mean its the rule to go by, and we in fact know that it's not. most of those cases, theres usually some information left out someplace that if known would make it alot more plausible.

im not saying you have to spend 8000 bucks ona short block.......you could spend alot more actually if you want to as well though.......but wanting power, and reliability......and setting out with the "i want the cheapest price" mentality is terrible idea........people can whine about it all day long, but in the end it always proves itself......and you end up spending even more money.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Supreme Member

Did you ready any of those 65+ pages?

23 pounds of boost for over 60 dyno pulls and almost running 8's isnt luck. Its all in your tune. 9
LOW9's at 150mph consistant and in the thousands of street miles isnt luck. Its being able to know what your engine wants/acts. Tune tune tune is more important that Big Bucks parts.

It goes to show Stock crank,rods and pistons would be could be fine for MOST people. If your 1/2 smark you can blue print your own motor you dont have to spend $75-150/hr for a shop to do it.

I have a callies racemaster crank, callies rods and $1400 custom JE turbo pistons. I prob could have went 10x cheaper and stil been just fine.

Im sure a ZZ4 would do him just fine. Esp since you get a warranty with it.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Supreme Member

Did you ready any of those 65+ pages?

23 pounds of boost for over 60 dyno pulls and almost running 8's isnt luck. Its all in your tune. 9
LOW9's at 150mph consistant and in the thousands of street miles isnt luck. Its being able to know what your engine wants/acts. Tune tune tune is more important that Big Bucks parts.

It goes to show Stock crank,rods and pistons would be could be fine for MOST people. If your 1/2 smark you can blue print your own motor you dont have to spend $75-150/hr for a shop to do it.

I have a callies racemaster crank, callies rods and $1400 custom JE turbo pistons. I prob could have went 10x cheaper and stil been just fine.

Im sure a ZZ4 would do him just fine. Esp since you get a warranty with it.
right.......you might be ok.......might doesnt work for me when your spending that kind of money.....thats the point.

Tune has NOTHING to do with whether or not your rods/rod bolts can handle making 1,000hp at 7500+ rpm.......it has to do with how strong the parts are.

the tune also has nothing to do with wether or not your crank is gonna snap in half making that kind of power.....

the TUNE does make a difference concerning the life of your pistons........ unless you're talking about outright catastrophic detonation, in which case thats also not a tuning issue....thats just being downright dumb.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:53 PM

Car: 87 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 408 LS
Transmission: LS 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt/3.70 Gears/TAP Girdle

Originally Posted by Rayzor32
how much power are you planning to make? if you're only looking for 300 rwhp or something moderate in that range, a block with some decent internals would get you where you want to be cheaper then a short block.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4 edge 3000 stall
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.73

I just want a 350 roller short block that can handle 400hp maybe a little more for ~2000.. im just trying to get some ideas here
Old 12-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Supreme Member

are you talking WRHP or 400-450 at the flywheel?
Old 12-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Supreme Member

read what i wrote......

Jegs is hardly "cookie cutter". They sell blueprint engines, which was recommended by another poster here, and you usually get a warranty, even if its just manufacturers warranty.

And Jegs is a huge company. They didn't get that big by putting out shoddy products.

Mathius
Old 12-16-2007, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mathius
Jegs is hardly "cookie cutter". They sell blueprint engines, which was recommended by another poster here, and you usually get a warranty, even if its just manufacturers warranty.

And Jegs is a huge company. They didn't get that big by putting out shoddy products.

Mathius
heh... atleast some one agrees.
to the other guy, Im sorry, but I just dont beleive not much for what your saying if other sites are cookie cutters. a engine is an engine. just depends on what you put in it, it all can be fixed, and can be done. for me, I dont really give a rip if a 350 engine for a low price is a cookie cutter or not, Im just saying if you want to spend your money on something I dont think its worth paying so much, be my guest, its your money, not mine. but back to the subject,Rayzor32, it depends on how much you wanna spend and what your willing to buy. sorry the subject got off with an pointless arguement.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

anyone ever take into consideration what rayzor said before we all started arguing? "400 HP", not in the upwards of 500+ because he's probably loooking for street manners with a bit of ***** to have fun. Secondly, i agree with 383backinblack, you get what you pay for, period. If you want to buy a jegs engine, do it, run it, but if you blow it your gonna feel like an idiot. OR you can chill out, build it right and have an engine with a larger potential scale, in either case they both work, and if your looking for a simple engine, go to GMPP, cuz ya kno....they kinda made our cars so the engines can hold up if you build it right, or even just get a zz crate engine if you can spend that
Old 12-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Mathius

Mathius
ya just like barry grant didnt get big by selling junk carbs right? come on guy.....im starting to remember why i haven't been around here much

anyone can "blueprint" an engine......that still doesnt mean its been built right. If you build 10,000 engines a year.....theres NO POSSIBLE WAY your quality control is as tight as someone who builds 500 engines a year, and warranties them.

when you sell 10,000 (for example) of something, and you warranty it.....its just a probability issue.......you expect a certain number of failures within a standard deviation (sigma) and you figure for that in the pricing of the engines which pays for the warranties.

when you build 500 engines a year, you don't have that economy of scale.......so the warranty actually means something to you beyond a marketing tool......and you build those engines not to fail, because your name, your reputation, and your bottom line depend on it.

do you think jegs cares if your engine fails? they could sell you 5 bad engines in a row, and its not going to effect their reputation or bottom line in the least bit because they're so large.......and you're certainly not going to get anything built the way you want it either.

do you think companies like shafiroff, golens, nelson, etc are in business because jegs and summit have better deals?
----------
heh... atleast some one agrees.
to the other guy, Im sorry, but I just dont beleive not much for what your saying if other sites are cookie cutters. a engine is an engine. just depends on what you put in it, it all can be fixed, and can be done. for me, I dont really give a rip if a 350 engine for a low price is a cookie cutter or not, Im just saying if you want to spend your money on something I dont think its worth paying so much, be my guest, its your money, not mine. but back to the subject,Rayzor32, it depends on how much you wanna spend and what your willing to buy. sorry the subject got off with an pointless arguement.
wow.....you guys really dont have any ide what you're talking about do you?

an engine is an engine? how many have you built?

i guess if you want a motor with junkyard parts that'll never make more than 400hp you're doing ok.......if you ever have any aspirations of getting beyond that, you'd ruin your "engines are engines" motor in 10minutes and need a new one.

engines aren't frozen hamburger patties.........you get what you pay for, if you don't believe that you're an idiot
----------
Originally Posted by master_disaster
anyone ever take into consideration what rayzor said before we all started arguing? "400 HP", not in the upwards of 500+ because he's probably loooking for street manners with a bit of ***** to have fun. Secondly, i agree with 383backinblack, you get what you pay for, period. If you want to buy a jegs engine, do it, run it, but if you blow it your gonna feel like an idiot. OR you can chill out, build it right and have an engine with a larger potential scale, in either case they both work, and if your looking for a simple engine, go to GMPP, cuz ya kno....they kinda made our cars so the engines can hold up if you build it right, or even just get a zz crate engine if you can spend that
thats a good point.......its not a sprint, its a marathon.........if you can't afford what you REALLY want, you're much better off taking your time and doint that way than compromising and cheaping out for the "right now"

but hey what do i know.....i've only done all this stuff multiple times

Last edited by 383backinblack; 12-16-2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-20-2007, 12:50 PM

jeez, will you just take a break,
blueprint engines are pretty well known and one of best sellers, I know three different people who bought and used them and never had one trouble with them.
you can blueprint your own engine, but alot of people likes to just take the guessing work out of it and just get it already made, and im pretty sure blueprint engines are alot cheaper then the site you tried offering.
and who are you reffering to "you guys really dont have any ide what you're talking about do you?"
most likely, your saying that to me, but your more likely saying that to everyone on this message board, it could be taken as racism, or offence.

Just because I didnt like what site you offered, doesnt mean you had to get snippy with others and me, and who says I know it all, im only 16, and Im pretty sure I dont have as much as knowledge with engines like you do, but it's saying I'm dumb, I have built a couple engines, not by my self, but with friends and my father, for the last three years.
but I do want to tell you, if some one doesnt like what your offering, then deal with it, unless your trying to scam other people into buying a engine from a place that alot of people havent heard of.
and if you dont exactly what I said, all I gotta say is deal with it.
you can go ahead and get me banned from this board, but Im speaking my mind out, Not trying to cause trouble, but trying to prove my point.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:19 PM

Car: 89 TA
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.08

Does anybody know if Blueprint Engines does custom shortblocks? I probably missed that bit of info on their site; I couldn't find what I was looking for.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

jeez, will you just take a break,
blueprint engines are pretty well known and one of best sellers, I know three different people who bought and used them and never had one trouble with them.
you can blueprint your own engine, but alot of people likes to just take the guessing work out of it and just get it already made, and im pretty sure blueprint engines are alot cheaper then the site you tried offering.
and who are you reffering to "you guys really dont have any ide what you're talking about do you?"
most likely, your saying that to me, but your more likely saying that to everyone on this message board, it could be taken as racism, or offence.

Just because I didnt like what site you offered, doesnt mean you had to get snippy with others and me, and who says I know it all, im only 16, and Im pretty sure I dont have as much as knowledge with engines like you do, but it's saying I'm dumb, I have built a couple engines, not by my self, but with friends and my father, for the last three years.
but I do want to tell you, if some one doesnt like what your offering, then deal with it, unless your trying to scam other people into buying a engine from a place that alot of people havent heard of.
and if you dont exactly what I said, all I gotta say is deal with it.
you can go ahead and get me banned from this board, but Im speaking my mind out, Not trying to cause trouble, but trying to prove my point.
the truth hurts........you really dont have any idea what you're talking about, and now i know why......i remember when i was 16, i THOUGHT i knew what i was doing......guess what? i was an idiot.

thats not your fault, thats just how it goes.

it has NOTHING to do with something im offering.....not even with the place i suggested........it has to do with basic principals of the universe, especially with how they related to engines.

if you want the cheapest work.....thats what you get, the cheapest work. There are lots of places to get great machine/engine work........NONE of them are the least expensive.

you dont get the BEST work for the lowest price, thats not how life works.......come talk to me in 5 or 6 years, you'll probably have learned that the hard way by then
Old 12-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

if you want the cheapest work.....thats what you get, the cheapest work. There are lots of places to get great machine/engine work........NONE of them are the least expensive.

you dont get the BEST work for the lowest price, thats not how life works.......come talk to me in 5 or 6 years, you'll probably have learned that the hard way by then
:rollseyes:

If your one of those guys who thinks just because it cost the most its "gotta" be the best boy I bet you waste alot of $$$$ Or have $100 to wipe your *** with and just don't give a ****.

I sopos all the stock short block LSx motors with heads/cam and a powder adder are JUNK because they arnt big buck motors with big buck cranks/rods/pistons and blue printed to the .1000ths and with in a few grans balanced.

Im not sayin GOOD PARTS dont cost $$ but to think just becuse a Shop charges a crazy price to put it together for you is crazy.

I 110% guarantee I could build the exact same motor as ANY big shop out there for less. I'd even go as far as warrantying it like they would. My buddy neil could/would does do the same. he has quite a few 2000+ HP Blown Hemi motors out in the NHRA etc. he has done a few NASCAR team motors. His prices are Well with in reason because He doesnt have HUGE over head.

ALL your paying for is the over head of them having a 10,000+ Sq./Ft building. Dozens of employees, etc..
Old 12-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 376 Likes on 304 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Im not sayin GOOD PARTS dont cost $$ but to think just becuse a Shop charges a crazy price to put it together for you is crazy.
i agree, look at TPIS, they are overpriced half the time...its EASY for a shop to overcharge ppl who dont know what they are doing.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
i agree, look at TPIS, they are overpriced half the time...its EASY for a shop to overcharge ppl who dont know what they are doing.
Not just people who dont know. They can mark up prices to sell for what ever they want.

NOT everyone does that... Example is I can get almost anything Summit Racing Carries and for 10% LESS then what summit sales it for.

Now Summit is HUGE and you would think because they buy in HUGE quantity nobody could sell for less. WRONG !

EXACT same PARTS EXACT same manufacture warranty. Go figure
Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

everyone has to make some money... summit is generally cheap but likewise, i have found some parts for cheaper elsewhere... and thats the same stuff
Old 12-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Supreme Member

:rollseyes:

If your one of those guys who thinks just because it cost the most its "gotta" be the best boy I bet you waste alot of $$$$ Or have $100 to wipe your *** with and just don't give a ****.

I sopos all the stock short block LSx motors with heads/cam and a powder adder are JUNK because they arnt big buck motors with big buck cranks/rods/pistons and blue printed to the .1000ths and with in a few grans balanced.

I 110% guarantee I could build the exact same motor as ANY big shop out there for less. I'd even go as far as warrantying it like they would. My buddy neil could/would does do the same. he has quite a few 2000+ HP Blown Hemi motors out in the NHRA etc. he has done a few NASCAR team motors. His prices are Well with in reason because He doesnt have HUGE over head.

ALL your paying for is the over head of them having a 10,000+ Sq./Ft building. Dozens of employees, etc..

see, now you're inventing your own version of what i said......what i said is 100% accurate........you're blowing it out of proportion......

I'm the best there is around here at what i do.....and guess what? i get to charge more money for it than other people do, because i'm better. I do better work, faster, with a better guarantee and much better service and support.......good work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't good.

i'm not saying anything that doesn't cost a million bucks is a POS, hardly......i'm saying that if you want GOOD or the BEST.......and you also think you're looking for the cheapest possible price you're shoveling sh*t against the tide........you can't have both.

There are alot of things done by the best engine builders that are NOT obvious at all......even upon inspection of parts that don't always mean something.....but every 1 out of 100 times it'll save your motor......but the budget guys won't do those things because it takes more time and cuts their bottom line.....things like de-burring the corners of the mains/main caps and the rods/rod caps....takes some time with a hand file......and it totally prevents scratching the back side of the bearing....which every once in awhile will lead to a spun bearing. things like meticulously washing out blocks and continuously cleaning every single oil galley, nook and cranny during the entire build process.....that stuff takes FOREVER......and not everyone does it as dilligently.....if you want that kind of work you're going to pay for it.

and no......you cannot build the same 2000hp engines the top-notch pro guy's build.......do you have a sunnen deck machine? a serdi valve seat cutter? a sunnen align hone? a sunnen rod hone machine? a crankshaft balancing rig? you need all these things and more to build an engine the right way.

the shop i suggested HAS all that stuff, and alot more......they have a nice building......you'll find their adds in all the mags too.....they build 100's of engines every year, and they only have 4 guys including the owner.......and they do top notch work. Their crate motors are reasonably priced especially for what you get.

Let me give you an example here fella.......

even some of the best parts fail, but if you cheap out on certain things its going to bite you in the A**..........If i didn't get billet rods, i'd be screwed......sure it cost me another 1,000 bucks......over the using the ones i already had.....but what if 1 of the "free" rods breaks at 7000rpm? rods....wasted.....crank, wasted....block, wasted.....cam, wasted......

now you're talking about being out like 7000 bucks or more in parts and all the machine work, labor, etc........

the same goes for labor........alot of shops don't check all the clearances.....they'll check 1 or 2 mains, 1 or 2 rods and call it a day......and thats USUALLY ok.......but every once in awhile its not. the GOOD guys check every single oil clearance.......but thats not CHEAP to do......and there are a million other things just like that to consider.

If you can do excellent work thats great, but if you don't think its worth more money than someone that does sh*t work, then thats pretty sad.

how about this........to someone considering what they should pay for an engine......go the shop and ask them for a tour and see how they do things......and even before that, learn EVERYTHING you can about the intricacies of engine building/assy........then you'll have a good idea of why looking for the cheapest deal isn't the greatest idea when it comes to performance engines.

I've never done that, since i started........i didn't always have tons of money.....but i was patient and saved to get the right parts, and guess what??? i've never been sorry i did that one time. I know alot of people that did the opposite and paid dearly for it.
----------
that why i've been preaching that you should learn about this stuff......then when something costs more to do, you'll have an idea why......and if its a legitemate thing to spend money on.
----------
Not just people who dont know. They can mark up prices to sell for what ever they want.

NOT everyone does that... Example is I can get almost anything Summit Racing Carries and for 10% LESS then what summit sales it for.

Now Summit is HUGE and you would think because they buy in HUGE quantity nobody could sell for less. WRONG !

EXACT same PARTS EXACT same manufacture warranty. Go figure
most engine builders do exactly the same thing.......they buy enough stuff they get it at less than the jobber......there are certain things you CANNOT get from summit or other vendors though.......like custom cranks from callies etc......

if you're dumping on businesses for marking up parts you're an idiot......how do you think the economy works? people aren't in business to give stuff away....if i sold everything i at cost i'd have been out of business a LONG time ago

Last edited by 383backinblack; 12-21-2007 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Supreme Member

PS.......as a correlary to this discussion, i like this quote, which is in the sig of a senior member on this board "shagwell"

"if you can't afford to do it right, can you afford to do it again?"
Old 12-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

if you're dumping on businesses for marking up parts you're an idiot
maybe he means ridiculous price mark up, something thats way to high to be considered just price for that object. That is what i was considering it mean. there are places that do good business and have lower price markups than other places out there
Old 12-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Supreme Member

maybe he means ridiculous price mark up, something thats way to high to be considered just price for that object. That is what i was considering it mean. there are places that do good business and have lower price markups than other places out there
you can't really make that comparison though, because you don't have an intimate knowledge of the companies business model.......in the vast majority of cases engines are sold as a complete system, especially crate engines.....so the individual components of the pricing schedule can vary widely......

company A has a 25% markup on parts.....and charges xxx for labor.

company B has a 50% markup on parts but only charges 1/2 or 3/4 what company A gets for labor.......it's USUALLY relative.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:42 AM

I'm the best there is around here at what i do.....and guess what? i get to charge more money for it than other people do, because i'm better. I do better work, faster, with a better guarantee and much better service and support.......good work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't good.
ehhh... wow dude.. that's your own thing, you wanna go spend thousands of dollars on an engine, be our guest, but now thinking your hot s**t and saying your better then everyone on this board isnt really all that appropriate, if you dont like what alot of people on this site say, then your probly better off not arguing with it.. I gave up trying to prove my point, cause my friend has been working on camaro, pickups, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, four wheelers for 7 years, and he knows a pretty great site getting a 350 engine with 290, and never had troubles with the site, guarantees his money back if he had troubles, and if ever ever did had a trouble (he never have with his first camaro, which was like 5 years ago) still running great, no leaks, no troubles, he has modified it like new intake, carb, cam, pistons, and alot of the parts he gets for $10 when actually thier like $500 on sites, he pretty much get parts for cheap from friends who had then before, but never used them.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Supreme Member

ehhh... wow dude.. that's your own thing, you wanna go spend thousands of dollars on an engine, be our guest, but now thinking your hot s**t and saying your better then everyone on this board isnt really all that appropriate, if you dont like what alot of people on this site say, then your probly better off not arguing with it.. I gave up trying to prove my point, cause my friend has been working on camaro, pickups, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, four wheelers for 7 years, and he knows a pretty great site getting a 350 engine with 290, and never had troubles with the site, guarantees his money back if he had troubles, and if ever ever did had a trouble (he never have with his first camaro, which was like 5 years ago) still running great, no leaks, no troubles, he has modified it like new intake, carb, cam, pistons, and alot of the parts he gets for $10 when actually thier like $500 on sites, he pretty much get parts for cheap from friends who had then before, but never used them.

thats ok dude........i started out in the 13's, now im pushing for the low 9's and over 1,000rwhp with a massively supercharged 383.......i know a thing or two about engine, and i really don't see where you're pedastal to stand on with claiming to have more to bring to this topic than i do.......you're minus alot of engine, alot of work, and 11 years of experience working on them.

but you're right, you have a better idea of whats going on than i do.

listen to this kid.......go buy the cheapest engine you can find.....it'll be awesome and it'll never break you'll be wicked happy. lol......

have fun running 14's for the rest of your life dude.......i'm trying to help you, but you "know" already, so you're gonna find out the hard way.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Supreme Member

and no......you cannot build the same 2000hp engines the top-notch pro guy's build.......do you have a sunnen deck machine? a serdi valve seat cutter? a sunnen align hone? a sunnen rod hone machine? a crankshaft balancing rig? you need all these things and more to build an engine the right way.

the shop i suggested HAS all that stuff, and alot more......they have a nice building......you'll find their adds in all the mags too.....they build 100's of engines every year, and they only have 4 guys including the owner.......and they do top notch work. Their crate motors are reasonably priced especially for what you get.

Let me give you an example here fella.......

even some of the best parts fail, but if you cheap out on certain things its going to bite you in the A**..........If i didn't get billet rods, i'd be screwed......sure it cost me another 1,000 bucks......over the using the ones i already had.....but what if 1 of the "free" rods breaks at 7000rpm? rods....wasted.....crank, wasted....block, wasted.....cam, wasted......

now you're talking about being out like 7000 bucks or more in parts and all the machine work, labor, etc........

the same goes for labor........alot of shops don't check all the clearances.....they'll check 1 or 2 mains, 1 or 2 rods and call it a day......and thats USUALLY ok.......but every once in awhile its not. the GOOD guys check every single oil clearance.......but thats not CHEAP to do......and there are a million other things just like that to consider.

If you can do excellent work thats great, but if you don't think its worth more money than someone that does sh*t work, then thats pretty sad.

How do you know and not know what I have access to. As a matter of fact YES I do have access to use ANY of the top notch equipment I need to build 2000+ hp setups. I have full access to go over my buddies any time I want and use anything I want. He even has a DTS Dyno for testing everything before it goes out his Doors. And come middle of spring is picking up a mobile chassis dyno.

If I ask him for a Quote to do something he pulls the " You know you can just come do it yourself if you want."

Your examples are good and I do just that to every build I do. Im sure I take some of em even further then you do depending on who the customer/person is.

I use more coating on a block then most even know of....... Lifter Bore holes, Oil galley and passages, ALL bearings, Crank, rods,pistons etc.. Oil pump gears,etc... Then every other part also. Youd be looking at a few grand just for all that.

My 383 has Roller Cam bearings in it for crist sake. How many people you know who go that far?

So dont go thinking everyone on this site or out in the world is stupid or beneath yo because you have 11 years under Your belt. Im sure ALOT of people on here do also. Myself being one of them. Being an aeronautical engineer and an AMT I have a passion for anything that produces power. From the micro sprints,world of outlaw sprints, Ive done motors for to the Turbo V8 Boats,etc.. Im sure you have little tricks of your trade and everyone else has diff. Tips/tricks. NOBODY is "THE BEST" theres ALWAYS someone better.

none of this BSing back and forth has ANYTHING to do with what the poster wants to build. 400-500HP builds are a dime a dozen thee days. Everything were bickering back and forth about are Guys like You,me and other pushing the envelope and looking for 800-1200+ to the wheels.

Last edited by FSTFBDY; 12-23-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

How do you know and not know what I have access to. As a matter of fact YES I do have access to use ANY of the top notch equipment I need to build 2000+ hp setups. I have full access to go over my buddies any time I want and use anything I want. He even has a DTS Dyno for testing everything before it goes out his Doors. And come middle of spring is picking up a mobile chassis dyno.

If I ask him for a Quote to do something he pulls the " You know you can just come do it yourself if you want."

Your examples are good and I do just that to every build I do. Im sure I take some of em even further then you do depending on who the customer/person is.

I use more coating on a block then most even know of....... Lifter Bore holes, Oil galley and passages, ALL bearings, Crank, rods,pistons etc.. Oil pump gears,etc... Then every other part also. Youd be looking at a few grand just for all that.

My 383 has Roller Cam bearings in it for crist sake. How many people you know who go that far?

So dont go thinking everyone on this site or out in the world is stupid or beneath yo because you have 11 years under Your belt. Im sure ALOT of people on here do also. Myself being one of them. Being an aeronautical engineer and an AMT I have a passion for anything that produces power. From the micro sprints,world of outlaw sprints, Ive done motors for to the Turbo V8 Boats,etc.. Im sure you have little tricks of your trade and everyone else has diff. Tips/tricks. NOBODY is "THE BEST" theres ALWAYS someone better.

none of this BSing back and forth has ANYTHING to do with what the poster wants to build. 400-500HP builds are a dime a dozen thee days. Everything were bickering back and forth about are Guys like You,me and other pushing the envelope and looking for 800-1200+ to the wheels.

ok.......so that being said, what in the world is your point??? because you're obviously in the same position i am with repsect to whats available to you and what you have the ability to build.....so you KNOW better.......you don't NEED roller cam bearings, but they're cool aren't they? thats not a cheap setup......and yes of course you're right about what the poster wants to build, but im not arguing against him.......im arguing against the know-nothings that came in here and basically out-right said that all engines are the same, go cheap......thats ridiculous and you're well aware of it. It's not making sense to me that you can do a build like that, and then side with people who don't believe spending money on good parts is worth it.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Supreme Member

ok.......so that being said, what in the world is your point??? because you're obviously in the same position i am with repsect to whats available to you and what you have the ability to build.....so you KNOW better.......you don't NEED roller cam bearings, but they're cool aren't they? thats not a cheap setup......and yes of course you're right about what the poster wants to build, but im not arguing against him.......im arguing against the know-nothings that came in here and basically out-right said that all engines are the same, go cheap......thats ridiculous and you're well aware of it. It's not making sense to me that you can do a build like that, and then side with people who don't believe spending money on good parts is worth it.

My point is this..... anything under 500Hp you dot need custom made pistons like my JE's or Your xxx's. You dont need $1000+ Dollar Callies Rods / Callies Crank. or 2-3k in machine work., etc.. I have a sonny bryant billet crank on the shelf that cost $3600 ,a Rodex 400 block. and some brodix heads Its all over kill for the motor Im doing now. Same would to be said for What he is looking for his Nitrous motor.

If your keeping the thing in the 500hp and under 6k rpm range. Only Sticking to a 200shot or smaller a Stock steel crank and GM Power Metal rods with good ARP bolts are more then enough. The basic TRW/Speed Pro hyper or Forged piston will do.

Something like that you could get into for under 3000 for a short block. Balanced,etc..
Old 12-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

most forged shortblocks i've seen so far are in the 2500-3000 range. so the golen isnt all that overpriced. you probly could build that same motor for less if you know what your doing i'm sure, but its so much nicer to start out with some shortblock and add parts to it.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:14 PM

Car: 87 firebird none soon
Engine: None
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: 2.73 10 bolt

stop bickering find out what you want then find you how to get it a friend of mine had his 300zx tt heads decked jet washed and pressure tested and one valve reseated for 15 bucks by a small shop that probably does 200 engines a year and he is doing the rest of the machine work for 700 including crank bearings a its getting bored 20 over and being inspected and repainted plus parts and he is reassembling hid short block him self and ill help hm btw he is 20 and im 19 and we just built my 355 longblock so if you knew anything like you say you do 383 back in black you wouldnt have anyone else build your short block than you but i bet you are scared that you wouldn't do it right perhaps lack of knowledge or maybe your pockets are just a little deeper than most i got my 87 firebird lg4 700r4 fro $400 whit a solid body and fresh shitty paint and a 355 tpi long block with recent overhaul and a t5 and if i hadn't gotten it at that price i would not own a third gen now i have a perfectly running roller 355 with tpui heads and the new crab and intake it came with fresh gaskets from top to bottom all new fluids and no leaks with a t5 behind it for a little added fun the moral of the story is not every one who owns a third gen has deep pockets not every one that owns a Nissan 300zx tt has deep pockets that they can reach into and pull out a nelson racing engine the other moral is do as much work on your engine as you can because you will know more than any one else about that engine and further more establish a good relationship with your local machine shop good luck with your builds guys
Old 12-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by mxcrazed
stop bickering find out what you want then find you how to get it a friend of mine had his 300zx tt heads decked jet washed and pressure tested and one valve reseated for 15 bucks by a small shop that probably does 200 engines a year and he is doing the rest of the machine work for 700 including crank bearings a its getting bored 20 over and being inspected and repainted plus parts and he is reassembling hid short block him self and ill help hm btw he is 20 and im 19 and we just built my 355 longblock so if you knew anything like you say you do 383 back in black you wouldnt have anyone else build your short block than you but i bet you are scared that you wouldn't do it right perhaps lack of knowledge or maybe your pockets are just a little deeper than most i got my 87 firebird lg4 700r4 fro $400 whit a solid body and fresh shitty paint and a 355 tpi long block with recent overhaul and a t5 and if i hadn't gotten it at that price i would not own a third gen now i have a perfectly running roller 355 with tpui heads and the new crab and intake it came with fresh gaskets from top to bottom all new fluids and no leaks with a t5 behind it for a little added fun the moral of the story is not every one who owns a third gen has deep pockets not every one that owns a Nissan 300zx tt has deep pockets that they can reach into and pull out a nelson racing engine the other moral is do as much work on your engine as you can because you will know more than any one else about that engine and further more establish a good relationship with your local machine shop good luck with your builds guys

I stopped reading your gibberish after the 2nd line. Did you pass the 3rd Grade? Punctuation is nice if you expect anybody to ready your posts. PERIODS make stuff so much easier to read.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 Buick GN
Engine: 3.8L (231 cid) V6
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt G80/ 3.42

I stopped reading your gibberish after the 2nd line. Did you pass the 3rd Grade? Punctuation is nice if you expect anybody to ready your posts. PERIODS make stuff so much easier to read.

Here you go...edited for you reading pleasure, LOL.

Stop bickering! Find out what you want then find how to get it. A friend of mine had his 300ZX TT heads decked, jet washed, pressure tested, and one valve reseated for 15 bucks by a small shop that probably does 200 engines a year. He is doing the rest of the machine work for 700 including crank bearings. It's getting bored 20 over and being inspected and repainted, plus parts. He is reassembling his short block him self, and I'll help him too. BTW, he is 20 and I'm 19, and we just built my 355 longblock. So if you knew anything like you say you do 383 Back in Black, you wouldn't have anyone else build your short block than you. But I bet you are scared that you wouldn't do it right...perhaps lack of knowledge or maybe your pockets are just a little deeper than most.

I got my 87 Firebird LG4 700r4 for $400 with a solid body and fresh shitty paint, and a 355 TPI long block with recent overhaul and a T5. If I didn't get it at that price I would not own a third gen. Now I have a perfectly running roller 355 with TPI heads and new carb and intake. It came with fresh gaskets from top to bottom, all new fluids, and no leaks....with a T5 behind it for a little added fun. The moral of the story is not every one who owns a third gen has deep pockets. Not everyone that owns a Nissan 300ZX TT has deep pockets that they can reach into and pull out a Nelson racing engine. The other moral is do as much work on your engine as you can because you will know more than any one else about that engine, and furthermore establish a good relationship with your local machine shop. Good luck with your builds, guys!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: TPIS II Supercharged w/Nitrous
Transmission: 700R4 Probuilt
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Richmond 12 Bolt

Can I ask a question for everyone to answer.. I see everyone is talking about running 800+ hp, so what injection systems is everyone running?
Old 12-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ibmtech
Can I ask a question for everyone to answer.. I see everyone is talking about running 800+ hp, so what injection systems is everyone running?
atmosphere injection (carbureted)
Old 12-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

for those hp numbers of introus, i dont think stock ECMs from anything will handle it. need a DFI of some sort for that. Tho i'm not sure of the Syclone ecm
Old 12-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Supreme Member

I know my engine has plenty of HP and torque with more to spare. I am running a 1227749 ECM from a Cyclone with 18lb of boost and it can handle upto a 3 Bar Map using a $58 code. I have seen a couple of people on this thread that claim to be running TPI and stating that they are getting above and well over 600+ hp. Unless they are running turbo's or S/C or severely modified engine's. How are they accomplishing this? There is no replacement for displacement is a general rule of thumb.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

callaway made several versions of twin turbo TPI vettes that made well over 500-600hp.

I know there are alot of modified ones making over 500-600 as well. More can be had with the right setup i'm sure.

Displacement isnt always the best way to go. Booost makes power regaurdless. I know alot of top boosted builds use motors like 377's and such which is much smaller than the big 400+ inch blocks, yet make same if not more power.

this is a topic for another thread tho i'm sure
Old 12-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

But if you take a boosted 377 and put it against mine non-boosted. I still make more HP and Torque. But, since mine is boosted, it will in theory be more than doubled a 337 CID boosted right?
Old 12-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

its all theory. doesnt always mean that in the real world. more cubes means more air/fuel burnt so it should have more potential yes
Old 12-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

its all theory. doesnt always mean that in the real world. more cubes means more air/fuel burnt so it should have more potential yes
the more displacement, the more air/and fuel burnt isn't a theory, its required. a much larger piston moves down, enough air to fill the void must move into the cylinder......and if you supply it with enough fuel, it will burn and produce more energy.

burning fuel is the name of the game in producing power, fuel is easy to get into the engine, air is not.......there are 2 ways to increase effective displacement.....a larger displacement (duh) and forced induction (nitrous has the same effect, chemically instead of mechanically) all forced induction is doing is drastically increasing your effective displacement.
----------
callaway made several versions of twin turbo TPI vettes that made well over 500-600hp.

I know there are alot of modified ones making over 500-600 as well. More can be had with the right setup i'm sure.

Displacement isnt always the best way to go. Booost makes power regaurdless. I know alot of top boosted builds use motors like 377's and such which is much smaller than the big 400+ inch blocks, yet make same if not more power.

this is a topic for another thread tho i'm sure
like i just said above.....its all based on CFM......a certain amount of "boost" which is a flimsy term when comparing 2 different engines for alot of reasons, will provide a certain amount of flow (cfm) the correlary, is that you are achieving the same airflow as a much larger engine.....

for example fitting the same amount of air a n/a 600ci engine would swallow with a 350ci engine......so it all depends on the amount of air

Last edited by 383backinblack; 12-27-2007 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

yeah basically thats it, i meant boost as in airflow. I kinda worded it wrong. What i should have stated was just because you have displacement doesnt mean you will be making more power as a smaller motor. You need the proper heads/cam/intake to compete the package which relates to cfm flow thru the system and efficiency of the burn. port design/combustion chamber design all has a hand in power development. Given equal motors with one being larger, yes it should make more power. The "theory" part is the rest of the motor package that actaully does the power making, heads/cam/etc.

I've seen a lot of ford 4.6 motors making more power at the same "boost" levels than some much larger LSx motors because the airflow of the system was better in the ford case and its OHC/head design

Quick Reply: Best place for a short block?