Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

I Need Aftermarket Seat Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 with Edelbrock ProFlow EFI
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.73 Eaton posi
I Need Aftermarket Seat Reviews

I have autocrossed my car for 1 year now, and I'm thinking of upgrading my front seats. I would like to change the driver and passenger seats just so the car looks balanced. Anyway, I was looking at the Corbeau CR1 and the Corbeau TRS seats. They have a modest price and look like they would hold me in really well.

What I want in the seat:
- comfy for about a 2 hour drive
- Tilt forward (I want to leave the back seats usable)
- recline ability
- black in color
- something that can be used with a 3 or 4 point harness
- under $1000 for 2 seats, 2 seat brackets, 2 3 or 4 point harness, and 2 sets of shoulder pads

I don't care if it is plain cloth or leather or anything special... cloth is fine.

If you know of any other seats that meat these requirements feel free to mention them and post your experiences with your seats.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Supreme Member

Re: I Need Aftermarket Seat Reviews

I've found the seat brackets for $65 each but could i just bolt the Corbeau seat to my current seat bracket?

I also found a 2" 3 point snap in or double release harness for $70 and i was thinking that would be the easiest way to maintain functionality of the rear seats.

Should I leave stock seat belts in so long trips would be more comfortable?

Last edited by racing geek; 10-15-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at those seats too they look really nice. Only bad thing I have heard is that they fade real bad and sit up really high because of the bracket. Type the seat name in the search function and it sould bring up alot more info. Quick question though can you put in a harness without a roll bar in the car and if so how because i really want to get these seats and the four point harness but dont have the money for roll bars yet.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Supreme Member

I think a 3 point would be easist without a roll bar. If you buy the snap in, I think you can replace the torx bolt holding your rear seat belt in with an eye bolt. This would also allow you to take the harness in and out at will due to the snap in snap out function and it would leave the rear seats usable. Or you could get the bolt in 3pt and make it a permanent harness and leave the rear seats difficult to get into. I cant think of a way to make a 4 pt harness work off the top of my head... but im sure it will come.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:59 PM

Car: 1986 Iroc-Z

Check out Arizen seats. If I'm not mistaken they bolt right into our cars, or at least bolt right up to the rails. There may be a few people on this site who have them, I remember seeing a GTA with some, check them out, you'll like them.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Legal Disaster
Check out Arizen seats. If I'm not mistaken they bolt right into our cars, or at least bolt right up to the rails. There may be a few people on this site who have them, I remember seeing a GTA with some, check them out, you'll like them.
Thanks, those look like some great seats. Now I just have to find people with them and ask how they feel and such.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:11 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Corbeaus are among the most expensive aftermarket seats, so you might rethink your seat source/brand.

As for retaining your 3 pt harness, you pretty much don't have a choice, for a street car. Harnesses aren't D.O.T. legal, they aren't certified, so a cop can issue you a no seat belt ticket, if that is all you are wearing.

I know, I know.....Harnesses are safer, but since they aren't D.O.T. certified, a cop CAN be a ****, and issue you a ticket. Besides, in-and-out daily, the 5 pt will get old, and you'll be glad you kept your stock 3 pt.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1988 SC Convertible
Engine: LT-1
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi w/PBR's

If you plan on using the car as a daily driver I would advise against the 4 point harness. I had them in my last Jeep. They worked great for holding me in the seat when I rolled it over numerous times, but they're a PITA on a daily basis.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Banned

Another reason to run dual belts. 3 pt for every day, 4 pt for the track.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Supreme Member

So leave the stock seatbelts in and get a snap in snap out 4 pt for race days?

But what about seats? What seats are comfy for about a 2 hour drive but still hold you in really well?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Stock LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt

I have CR1s in my GTA, well they are sitting next to it right now, but I have pleanty of miles in them. They are pleanty comfy for long trips, I've made many 3+ hour drives no problem. The brackets will raise the seat up an inch or 2 compared to a stocker, but I'm planning on having them cut and rewelded. I have also heard, you'll want to check into this, that you can use the brackets that are intended for putting these seats into 4th gens, and it keeps the seats lower. The height change is only a problem if you are 6'1" - 6'2"+ (I'm 6'3"/4" and fit, but no way comfortable with a helmut). Short ppl seem to like the higher seat since they can see better over the dash.

If you are bigger than a 32-34" waist go for the wide option. I'm 34" and the seats hug me. I actually prefer this, as they keep me non-mobile in the seat during lateral acceleration events . Also, if you plan on people of the female type to ride with you, get the wider seat (at least for the pass side). There is interferance between the seat and the hip area.

I have the red cloth ones with black leather patches on the high wear areas, no fading/wearing. Only a stain (which you can't really see now) from some Mountain Dew I spilled. Any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:16 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS V6
Engine: 3.1 V6 MFI
Axle/Gears: 3.23 stock

not to hijack the thread, but what about seats that get you lower? I'm 6'3 - so I have to adjust my seat creativly.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:25 AM

Car: 86 Sports Coupe
Engine: 2.8L V6
Transmission: 700r4

I'm 6 3 too I just lean the seat back. Works for me as my reach is monkey long!

-Paul
Old 10-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ohiotemplar
not to hijack the thread, but what about seats that get you lower? I'm 6'3 - so I have to adjust my seat creativly.
As long as it pertains to seats, I dont have a problem with you bringing up your own question.

Originally Posted by capt07
I'm 6 3 too I just lean the seat back. Works for me as my reach is monkey long!

-Paul
Im in the same boat as the two of you. Im 6'3" so I also have to get fancy with moving the seat. Luckily, my 6-way power seats help in this area.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 350 hsr
Transmission: 700R4(blown)
Axle/Gears: 3:73

i want to know too jumping on the thread
Old 10-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Banned

Hmmm....6'5" here, with a 41" inseam, and I've never thought I needed my seats moved back. All my height is in my legs, meaning the distance from the seat backs to the pedals.

Now, my '63 VW Bug I had just outta high school....I actually pulled the seats, moved them all the way back, drilled new holes in the floor for bolts, and mounted them there. From a direct side view, nobody was driving the car!
Old 10-23-2007, 07:36 PM

I must have a longer trunk than you guys, my seat is as far back as my arms will allow and my hair still gets messed up by the head liner. lol - and I don't have much hair. I'm a navy man and the haircut just stuck. - nate - any love for those 75 dollar ebay camaro seats?
Old 10-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Supreme Member

I went to my local upholstery place the other day and he quoted me 200-300 each to recover and add a little foam for support to the fronts and another 300 to recover the back seat to match. Heck at that price I might as well go out and buy brand new seats. Those Arizen seats are looking better and better by the day.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI LO3

Hey ya'll-I bought a set from Arizen this summer. Got 99.9% good things to say. Presale service was great - spent a lot of time getting down exactly what I wanted. Color/materials wise had a lot of choices. They did custom embroidery on the seats - went out of the way to get the 3rd gen font right, and the color to match body color as close as possible on the lettering. Picked up sliders/after market brackets w/the seats. I ordered a pair of fronts, along with a set of new skins for the back. Sliders definitely do add height - i'm 6'1" or 6'2", and w/the new seats my head barely touches the roof if i don't slouch.

Craftsmanship on them was pretty good - i had to drill out one hole a little on the drivers side bracket because it was off by a bit. After the sale support was good - i had a bad slider, after 1 recommendation on how to try to fix it, they sent a new one out to me.

Only real complaints were the time it took to get them, and there was no assembly directions until I asked for them after I got the seats figured out. Over all good service/support/product. I recommend the wider seat ..i think i went w/the regular, and with a 38" ... i fit, but it's snug.
Attached Thumbnails I Need Aftermarket Seat Reviews-imgb.jpg   I Need Aftermarket Seat Reviews-imgc.jpg  
Old 11-01-2007, 06:03 PM

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it total? Where did you order it from? A website or catalog? Do they install?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Stock LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt

FWIW, I got mine from thunder racing, just called and mentioned a special (10% I think) that they had going at the time for TGOers. Since it's been so long, I won't bother posting price, as I'm sure its changed several times since.

Seats are REALLY easy to do. An appropriate size wrench (15mm or there abouts) will get it done, socket wrench will speed things up, but not absolutly needed. 4 nuts on holding the track to the floor and any electrical connectors then out they come. The seats are a bit awkward, but with our huge doors, the opening is pleanty easy to get the seat through.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:00 PM

Ohio - assuming that question was for me, they were 1650 delivered. Got the # off their website and called. I had a lot of extras though - I think i paid extra for suede, the mounting bracket and sliders (didn't want to fight with the old ones, but I'm told they'll work), the embroidery, 4th gen seat belt holders (which i didnt use), 4 point delete option on the head rest, and the rear covers obviously.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Supreme Member

KC, do you have the deeper bolsters? If so, do they help much? How much do they wrap around?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn

Gents............when ordering the corbeau seats, you should also order the 4th gen seat brackets. The will bolt up in your car and will not raise the seat like the third gen brackets will.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 PM

Car: 92 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5

Originally Posted by The Project
Gents............when ordering the corbeau seats, you should also order the 4th gen seat brackets. The will bolt up in your car and will not raise the seat like the third gen brackets will.
Thank you for that information. Saved me a headache of trying to find a way to get the seats lower.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:44 AM

Geek - yes I do have the deeper bolsters, and the "stock width" ... Arizen offers what I affectionately refer to as the fat people version - the seat is 2 inches wider. I'm 6'2" 225 - i'm on the fence as to whether or not i should have gotten the fat people version....and more on the fence as to whether or not they'd have fit in the car. I can take off ramps 2 - 3x as fast as posted ...you definitely don't slide anywhere in the seat..only thing is the leg bolsters are deeper too..which can get annoying on long drives imo. It'd be perfect for me i think with the regular size width, and if they could have done deep bolsters on the back, regular on the seat. hope that helps..
Old 01-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Supreme Member

wow this thread is old... I ended up getting Corbeau Forza seats from a guy on Craigslist for something like $140-150. They came with the sliders, brackets, and all the hardware. I ended swapping to stainless steel hardware so it wont get any surface rust like the stock stuff had, and I ended up modifying the brackets to a point were the seat is practically bolted to the floor. They are the regular width seats, and you were right, they are snug. They made a huge difference in my ability to push the car to the limit. I almost don't need a harness anymore even though I bought two 5pt G-Force harnessses. However, I'm still trying to think of a way to safetly mount them without a roll bar.

Here is a picture of one of them installed. I do have both installed though.
I Need Aftermarket Seat Reviews-100_1924.jpg
Old 02-07-2009, 05:31 PM

Car: 92 rs camaro
Engine: planning bbc
Transmission: planing t56
Axle/Gears: planing moser 12 bolt

i have these in my car and they r fine comfy too! http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku need a litle working on the brackets to get em in right but not to hard