Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

TrickFlow Signature Series heads... need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TrickFlow Signature Series heads... need some advice

I was originally going to go with a pair of AFR 195's but after reading numerous complaints about plug access with SLP 1 3/4" headers (regardless whether you went with straight or angle plug heads) I started getting worried because those are the exact headers I'm currently running.

The final straw was when I found the thread started by Tony89GTA, showing how the AFR's exhaust ports don't even line up properly with the SLP's. I do NOT want to go through any of that hassle. I just want a set of heads that will bolt right in without issue and work with the SLP's I'm running.

After doing a search, it appears that TrickFlow comes highly recommended by many members of this forum. After reading up on numerous threads,I decided that the TrickFlow's were probably the best heads to go with as there have been no issues with them and SLP headers (none that I've found anyways). They flow much better than the Edelbrocks and appear to be a be a really good value for the amount of air they flow (not too far off AFR's numbers)

My car's an '88 with the L98 engine. It has a few minor bolt-ons at the moment and an aftermarket TPI set-up waiting to go on this spring. I was looking at the Trickflow 195cc "Kenny Duttweiler Signature Series" heads and was wondering which set-up I should go with.

I can't decide whether I should go with the 62/64 or 72cc combustion chambers. I'm leaning more towards the 62/64 but can't rally decide which of the two to go with. Also, is it worth spending the extra cash and get the ones with CNC machined combustion chambers? If I go that route, it looks as if my only choice would be the 64cc version because they don't appear to offer CNC machined combustion chambers in the 62cc version of these heads.

I'm just looking for some advice from those who are running these heads and would like to know which route you'd recommend I take.
Finally, is there any place that offers these heads cheaper than Summit?

Here's a link to the heads Iwas looking at by the way, what do you think?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Last edited by LT1FUN; 03-11-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:24 PM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Posi
The CNC chambers help unshroud the valves. If you look, you will see a cfm increase with the 64cc ones. Get those.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the advice. I take it the heads in the link I provided, part no. TFS-30400006-CNC will work on my application no problems right?

Anybody on here actually run these heads? What are your impressions? I'll probably be throwing in a cam at the same time but just out of curiosity, how much of an improvement would these heads be worth by themselves, assuming the cam was still stock? 30? Maybe 40hp?

I'd really like to hear from those who are running these same heads on their L98's. Preferably those with stock displacement. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Car: '91 GTA
Engine: 421sbc
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" with 3.89
Before you decide on the chamber size, make sure you decide on head gaskets, static compression, dynamic compression and quench.

Check on my name for those topics.

I chose the AFR 195's b/c I have hedman headers.