Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

turbonator

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 trans am ws6
Engine: lb9 5.0
Transmission: 5spd
Axle/Gears: 3:09
turbonator

anybody heard of this turbonator thing that goes on after your air filter. I found this one on e-bay for $14. They claim up to 35hp and 31% better fuel mileage. any body have one? is it any good?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MakeTrack=true
Old 04-01-2006, 01:06 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx
Engine: Turbo KA24DE
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 4.08 VLSD
You should have searched first. They are garbage. They physically cannot compress enough air to create real boost, and have been proven to actually REDUCE power due to the impeller blades restricting airflow. It's like trying to use a desk fan to make a hurricane wind go faster.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:24 AM

ouch!

thanks, they won't get my13.95 now!
is there any "cheap" way to get a few more hp?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:57 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 383 vortec tpi
Transmission: t56 woot
Originally Posted by gon8go
thanks, they won't get my13.95 now!
is there any "cheap" way to get a few more hp?
Dude you need to use the search function and browse around the forum there are years worth of tech info on this board that cover everything from restored stock street cars to 500= horsepower blower and turbo fed engines look around and learn how an engine works and opperates before you start trying to make it stronger
Old 04-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Iroc Z
Engine: 383ci.
Transmission: WC-T5
He's new, he's adding to the board post count, so get off his back and shove the "do a search" advice you know where. Whats the point of having an online message board. maybe the admins should make it an online search forum?
Old 04-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Cruz'N Bruz'R
He's new, he's adding to the board post count, so get off his back and shove the "do a search" advice you know where. Whats the point of having an online message board. maybe the admins should make it an online search forum?
Because now when the next person comes along and does a search, all they find are threads like this.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89' Iroc-Z G92
Engine: TPI 305 G92
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: Limited 9 bolt, 3.45
There are alot of things that make your car go v-room...lol

Some of these mods are free others cost alot of money.

The easiest thing, but very dangerous if you dont know what your doing is an

Ignition timing advance- by using higher grade fuels and advancing the timing of the ignition so that the spark plugs fire earlier than before you can pick up alot of power.. This is part of tuning an engine.

A cheap mod is a Throttlebody Air Foil, you pick a few hp and tq, mostly on the high end, but due to less turbulence in the intake passage the charge created by the TPI can be slightly more effective.

Another modification though slightly expensive is a new exhaust system. Sadly for these cars the only system really offered is a new cat back, or all the plumbing, mufflers and tips in the system.

If you dont have them already a set of dual catalytic convertors can free up a good few horsepower. In your case, which is the TPI 305 5spd car you are well set off. And unknowingly you bought one of the fastest V8 thirdgens built. The one thing that you could use is some rear gears. Though 3.08's are alright, a set of 3.42's or 3.45's will get you off the line quicker. (make sure they are posi!)

(on a side note before I get spammed, a TPI305 5spd. is the equivalent of an L98 in stock form.)

Another modification that is a pita to do, but does free up more horsepower and torque is long tube headers. In your case 1 5/8" primaries with a 3" collector. Make sure that they can the preparations for the AIR system, that they work with cats, have a 02 bung on the drivers side and if possible will hook up to dual cats if you decide to run that route..

Since you are a firebird and not an IROC-Z, your intake system detracts about 10hp from the actual ratings you have read on the facts page. So for a few hundred dollars pick up a cold air kit with a enclosed box(to keep out debris).

Later modifications, can be discussed, but this should definitely keep you busy for awhile. Note, your 19lbs per hour fuel injectors pulse out at 240hp, and your ecm will need a new prom if you decide to change these.. Wait for this modification!

You already have a Mass Air Flow sensor so constant computer tuning is not required..

The best thing for your car right now though, is a good tune up! Flush all fluids and change your plug wires and plugs, and rebuild your distributor! (Cap, Rotor, check your icm and if necessary your pick up coil,) Dont forget new filters, fuel, oil and air.. cleaning your egr/pcv will help as well.

There are alot more things you can do as well to make your car faster, but lets start with the basics before you touch the innerworkings of an engine. The best Idea to learn an engine is to get an old scrap 305, LG4, 350 etc. and just take it apart. leave your running engine alone.

Last edited by Mcdamit; 04-02-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:57 PM

Car: 81 Corvette
Engine: 355, ported vortec heads
Transmission: 700r4
Originally Posted by formula350sd
Dude you need to use the search function and browse around the forum there are years worth of tech info on this board that cover everything from restored stock street cars to 500= horsepower blower and turbo fed engines look around and learn how an engine works and opperates before you start trying to make it stronger
So by what you are saying no one should post anything new since it has already been covered in years worth of tech data?

Originally Posted by 305q_ta86
Because now when the next person comes along and does a search, all they find are threads like this.
Then why don't you help them out while suggesting the search instead of leaving this as a repetitive waste of band with and space? If you know where it is then give them a link for the next person who may actually do a search.

gon8go

Here you go.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/afte...ght=turbonator

This is the link for the article that is in that thread.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...tml?page=1&c=y

Next time try a search first so you get answers instead of a thread full of people complaining how you didn't use a search instead of offering any real help.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by vrtc350
So by what you are saying no one should post anything new since it has already been covered in years worth of tech data?

Then why don't you help them out while suggesting the search instead of leaving this as a repetitive waste of band with and space? If you know where it is then give them a link for the next person who may actually do a search.

gon8go

Here you go.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/afte...ght=turbonator

This is the link for the article that is in that thread.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...tml?page=1&c=y

Next time try a search first so you get answers instead of a thread full of people complaining how you didn't use a search instead of offering any real help.
Agreed.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
Car: '87 FIREGOOSE!!!!
Gon8go, welcome to thirdgen.org!
Always nice to see new members. While your here, make your way over to the "regions" section and go to "Ontario" board to introduce yourself.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:09 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

No I'm saying people should do a search before posting questions about a worthless product that has been out in the market place for a while and I'm sure has been flamed on the board many many times I felt I was more than fair with my statements the bast advice to give anyone getting into the car hobby should be to laearn about engines simly slapping performance parts togeather will don nothing for him it needs to work as a system and if you don't know how an engine works how can you expect to get it right

I am in no way saying that posting of questions is bad but so is wasting bandwidth with a million and a half threads with vague questions like what should I buy for my car to make more horesepower performance isnt cheap but the best thing anyone could do as far as I'm concerned are full length headders and a 4 inch exhaust that was by far the best things I have ever gotten for my car
Old 04-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Iroc Z
Engine: 383ci.
Transmission: WC-T5
Well a 4" exhaust is a huge overkill unless your making in excess of 400hp.

Maybe you should do a little searching yourself.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:16 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cruz'N Bruz'R
Well a 4" exhaust is a huge overkill unless your making in excess of 400hp.

Maybe you should do a little searching yourself.
I beg to differ I picked up a half second from switching from edelbrock headders and a 3inch cat back to supercomps and the 4 inch
Old 04-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
Car: '87 FIREGOOSE!!!!
Original poster is running a 305. Edelbrock headers and 3" cat-back are perfect. Long tubes and 4" are overkill.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

Damn, Formula, ever use periods? :P
Old 04-03-2006, 04:54 PM

..look around and learn how an engine works and opperates before you start trying to make it stronger

.. the bast advice to give anyone getting into the car hobby should be to laearn about engines simly slapping performance parts togeather will don nothing for him it needs to work as a system and if you don't know how an engine works how can you expect to get it right
Don't patronize someone on the extent of their knowledge based on a simple question. How could you gather the extent of my knowledge based on me asking about one part, junk or not? Last time I looked this was the aftermarket product review board. Junk or Not

.. so is wasting bandwidth with a million and a half threads with vague questions like what should I buy for my car to make more horesepower performance isnt cheap.
Cheap is relative.

You must hate %80 of the threads on this board.

Last edited by vrtc350; 04-03-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:06 PM

yay, I can pass the crown of idiocy! woot!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The turbonator is a decroded piece of crap.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:51 PM

I agree 100%. The turbonator is a piece of garbage.

I just find it annoying when people want to yell search instead of offering any help at all. Sure, we need to remind some of the search but it is more helpful to still point them in a direction rather than none at all.

It's funny how you see a lot of threads with "Before you tell me to do a search, I already did and didn't find the information I needed."

Last edited by vrtc350; 04-03-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:39 PM

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
and it's kinda hard to do a search when it hasn't been working right for how long?
Old 04-03-2006, 10:43 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 305q_ta86
Damn, Formula, ever use periods? :P
I had problems with english in high school not that I'm not articulate enough I jsut hate grammer

Cheap is relative.

You must hate %80 of the threads on this board.
I do honestly because about 80% of the treads on this or any board are practically useless

and as far as patronizing people i simply told him to read on engine physics something everyone in the car hobby should do as service to them selves not to me or anybody else

Originally Posted by Genopsyde
and it's kinda hard to do a search when it hasn't been working right for how long?
How hard is it to go to google and do a page specific search?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:16 PM

this is great!

All this spirited debate is very entertaining so its hardly a waste of bandwidth since entertainment is a major reason why I signed on. thanks guys.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:26 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

All this spirited debate is very entertaining so its hardly a waste of bandwidth since entertainment is a major reason why I signed on. thanks guys.
it definatly got interesting in here and sorry if i came off like a **** but it happens sometimes
Old 04-03-2006, 11:44 PM

no problem

normally I would do a search butI thought it was down.
I would love to get some headers and all but I just can't afford it now. I want to get the car wet sanded and replace the t-top centre molding and weather stripping. I'm addressing issues one at a time for now. thanks for everyone's help and patients.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:32 AM

Car: 1991 Z28 & 1992 Z28
Engine: LB9 & L98
Transmission: T56 & T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10s & 3.23s
All of the add ons that are suppose to "smooth" out air flow are totally worthless on cars with twin blade throttle bodies
Old 04-04-2006, 02:16 AM

wow I read through half of these postes and gave up. Too much whining about the whole search thingy.

Let me make this clear. The turbonater DID help reduce my gas consumption. It does have the same effect as an air foil too. I did dyno testing. I gained 2 whole horses. Wasnt even a noticeable gain but I did gain 3 mpg in the city and 5-7 mpg on the highway......using only the best and most expensive gas. I only did it b/c I was running VERY rich and I did a K&N air filter and it helped lower the a/f ratio. Then the turbonater was next and it lowered it a little more. Now ready for this one. I have a NX Expres wet kit and it is plumbed BEFORE the turbonater. Now can you imagine the swirling effect the my wet kit has when I spray going into my intake? Now try and swallow that
Old 04-04-2006, 02:30 AM

Car: '92 Toyota Pickup
Engine: 22R-E
Transmission: 5sp Manual
Axle/Gears: 4:??
Originally Posted by Giovannetti
wow I read through half of these postes and gave up. Too much whining about the whole search thingy.

Let me make this clear. The turbonater DID help reduce my gas consumption. It does have the same effect as an air foil too. I did dyno testing. I gained 2 whole horses. Wasnt even a noticeable gain but I did gain 3 mpg in the city and 5-7 mpg on the highway......using only the best and most expensive gas. I only did it b/c I was running VERY rich and I did a K&N air filter and it helped lower the a/f ratio. Then the turbonater was next and it lowered it a little more. Now ready for this one. I have a NX Expres wet kit and it is plumbed BEFORE the turbonater. Now can you imagine the swirling effect the my wet kit has when I spray going into my intake? Now try and swallow that
shut up and never post about the turbonator again. I really hope your kidding. What you just said is a sin in the automotive world. I hope that you end up driving a Geo metro the rest of your life. You must be a salseman for turbonator. shame.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:27 AM

ok if it wasnt for the fact that I have dyno results i would have NOT posted that. So tell me then what is the difference between the "turbonator" and an air foil then...............oh thought so
Old 04-04-2006, 05:35 AM

Car: 91 Formula, 89 IROC
Engine: LB9, LB9
Transmission: 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: Posi 2.73, Posi 2.73
The air foil makes more sense.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:23 AM

Car: 1991 Z28 & 1992 Z28
Engine: LB9 & L98
Transmission: T56 & T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10s & 3.23s
The airfoil works in effect that it smooths out that flat surface where the air enters the throttle body. The turbonator DOES speed up air flow and creates a good swirl effect, but when this swirling air hits the throttle body opening and is split between the 2 throttle body blades, it cancels the "swirl" effect thus diminishing the effect the turbonator was intended to produce. The best results from the turbonator will be in a single blade throttle body setup, like the LS1 or a mustang... etc..
Old 04-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 90 IROC 5.7 hardtop
Engine: L98
Transmission: T5 swap
Axle/Gears: Yup -- they still work
normally I would do a search butI thought it was down.
I would love to get some headers and all but I just can't afford it now. I want to get the car wet sanded and replace the t-top centre molding and weather stripping. I'm addressing issues one at a time for now. thanks for everyone's help and patients.

Be sure to stop by the Ontario Region board and say hello we would be glad to meet you.

RP
Old 04-04-2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by xlr8torz28
The airfoil works in effect that it smooths out that flat surface where the air enters the throttle body. The turbonator DOES speed up air flow and creates a good swirl effect, but when this swirling air hits the throttle body opening and is split between the 2 throttle body blades, it cancels the "swirl" effect thus diminishing the effect the turbonator was intended to produce. The best results from the turbonator will be in a single blade throttle body setup, like the LS1 or a mustang... etc..
Good point. I think I stand corrected. But when your spraying a 75 wet shot through the throttle body and through the turbonator i could imagine what the effect is on the shot of nitrous. I should do a with and without nitrous dyno on the turbonator.

Good point. I think I stand corrected. But when your spraying a 75 wet shot through the throttle body and through the turbonator i could imagine what the effect is on the shot of nitrous. I should do a with and without nitrous dyno on the turbonator.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:35 AM

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700 r
Not to confuse the issue with facts, aren't fuel injected manifolds dry flow. I don't see the benifet fo "turbonating" dry air. By thr time ath air passes the fuel injector the effects would be nill.