Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Lock Right/EZ-Locker (Richmond/Detroit) Stay Away!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 02:40 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
Lock Right/EZ-Locker (Richmond/Detroit) Stay Away!

I purchased what I thought was another PowerTrax no slip unit for my 12 bolt, it ended up being a Lock Right unit but I installed it anyway. It's similar enough to the No Slip piece but has fewer parts which in a way makes it easier to install and less prone to failure but its way to aggressive for street use.

Turning corners isn’t bad under most conditions and most of the time it acts like the no-slip except with way more clicking noises that does attract attention from by standers. The no slip that’s in my 10 bolt rarely makes noise and at its worst both tires will chirp on sharp turns. The worst part about the lock right is 9 times out of ten on a sharp turn or backing up at an angle it starts to pop and jerk sometimes it will actually bang into sync. During this time the clutch must be pressed in or the whole vehicle will start to jerk violently.

The same straight forward fun twin tire marks are there but the horrible drivability aspects make the Lock Right non suitable for use in anything but in a drag strip or hard core 4x4 application.

IMO if you want a PowerTrax locker stay with the no slip and be happy until it breaks.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: F1R Procharged 383
Transmission: Tremec 600
Axle/Gears: moser 12 bolt, 4.11's 33 spline axl
Re: Lock Right/EZ-Locker (Richmond/Detroit) Stay Away!

Originally posted by SSC
I purchased what I thought was another PowerTrax no slip unit for my 12 bolt, it ended up being a Lock Right unit but I installed it anyway. It's similar enough to the No Slip piece but has fewer parts which in a way makes it easier to install and less prone to failure but its way to aggressive for street use.

Turning corners isn’t bad under most conditions and most of the time it acts like the no-slip except with way more clicking noises that does attract attention from by standers. The no slip that’s in my 10 bolt rarely makes noise and at its worst both tires will chirp on sharp turns. The worst part about the lock right is 9 times out of ten on a sharp turn or backing up at an angle it starts to pop and jerk sometimes it will actually bang into sync. During this time the clutch must be pressed in or the whole vehicle will start to jerk violently.

The same straight forward fun twin tire marks are there but the horrible drivability aspects make the Lock Right non suitable for use in anything but in a drag strip or hard core 4x4 application.

IMO if you want a PowerTrax locker stay with the no slip and be happy until it breaks.
i had one, it worked mint.....it wasn't that bad on the street either, only a little quirky.......and it was next to invincible as well
Old 03-13-2006, 07:26 AM

Car: 91 B4C
I agree with the original post. I put one in my suburban. all clearances were perfect on the install. And it was noisey on turns and somewhat jerky at times. And when you went around a turn just right you were treated with a loud pop or two. I have installed the quiet more expensive locker in a friends car and it was WAY nicer to drive with the same hook up.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: projects.......
- I have one in my 4wd Cheesan(chevy power, jeep axles, nissan body), I love it works just as they say it will.

- You just bought the $200 locker instead of a $500+ posi(or locker) and you're complaining? Why do you think they make the $500+ dollar units? A locker will never act like a posi on the street. It wasn't built too. You compare it to the powertrax no-slip, which is apples and oranges. One is a posi, the other is a locker.

- not trying to argue or anything, just saying you get what you pay for. The "problems" you describe are in every article ever written on the lock-rights. They tell you ahead of time how it will act and what it was intended for, then you complain when it acts as it says it will?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:04 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Axle/Gears: 307
Actually this was a $350 peice but price wasent the issue if you read the first pargraph in the original post it was supposed to be a No-Slip unit.

Theres always people who think it wont be that bad or they can live with it or end up getting somthing they dident expect (like me).
Old 03-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
After about a 500-1000 mile or so break-in (it was a while ago), mine works fairly smooth. No jerking around etc... Yes I can hear it, when doing short turns. When I bought it 8 or so years ago the No-slip didn't exist. During break-in, it was exactly as you described. (jerk-jerk and maybe a pop-bang while turning) My first thought was "What the hell did I buy"