Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Best jackstands?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best jackstands?

I was wondering what the best type of jackstands are for our cars. I have a set of jackstands but somehow the started bending on top where the car sits on

My stands are similar to these here:

And the top part the "flaps" started bending down. Good or bad?

Or would jackstands like this be better?

I guess the ultimate would be flat ones but havent found anything like that. any suggestions? My Jackstands are 2 tons, car weighs 1480kg = 1.48 tons.

Thanks!
Cedric
Old 10-04-2005, 01:43 AM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
I can't say what the "best" stand is but I have 2 kinds. some standard yellow 2 or 3 ton stands which I've used since about 96. I got them at either pep boys or discount auto parts. Nothing special or fancy, 20 bucks. They've cheerfully held up a 79 TA, 91 Ford Taurus, a few random Japanese cars and my current 91 TA without bending, buckling or showing any problems at all. They look nothing like your picture though. My 2nd set I got at Target on clearance, oddly. They are AC Delco 2 ton jacks still boxed. I haven't had a need for them yet. I'm not a fant of the "pin" type jackstands though. Mine are a handle/lever type, plus the levers give a good holding area to carry them around, lol.

The stands in the 2nd picture are basically what I have.

As for your stands bending, to be on the safe side, I would consider 2 sets of stands. More if you have the whole car in the air. If any of my stands bent on me, I'd feel FAR safer getting new stands and some extras. Instead of 2 in the front doing brakes or anything under there, I'd use 3 or 4. As it is, I use 2 stands plus leave the jack next to the stand... just in case.

As for my jack, well, oddly I was using a partially damaged jack for years. I had just gotten a 91 Taurus and neglected to think about the fact that it's front wheel drive, so I jacked up the car to so the front brakes. Being lazy and in a hurry, I used only the jack, which actually was prolly a blessing. Anyway, I went inside and came out a few minutes later and discovered the car had rolled backwards, bending the jack slightly and falling to the ground. Happily, it did no damage even though it fell smack on the bottom of the rotor. The dust shield was bent a bit which I fixed. Anyway, other than the jack catching/scraping on the side when going up, I used it for years till I got sick and tired of having to lift the car by the fender by hand to raise the frame enough to slide the jack under it. So I just got a new low profile jack, worlds of difference there.

Just hit your local auto parts store and grab some of the 20-25 dollar jack stands. Unless you routinely drop the car on the jackstands I can't see the new ones giving you a hassle. Whatever brand they are. Try and get 2.5-3 ton or better stands. The more weight they can hold, the better off you are.

Hey, if they made em, I might grab myself some 100-200 ton stands, lol. Short of a meteor hit, I'd be able to set up house under the car then.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Transmission: 700R4
I have the ac delco mini jackstands, they are great for low cars. 14 bucks at a pawn shop!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:57 AM

Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: 350 (CCC QJet)
Axle/Gears: 3.08 9 bolt
Walmart 2 ton jackstands with the levers $15

Kragens has a deal for a jack, jackstands and a creeper for $30 right now...

Justy noticed.. you probably dont have a kragens or the like near you
Old 10-04-2005, 12:01 PM

sadly no I'll just have to see what I can find here, I'm guessing I'll get new ones with levers, probably 3to. Hope I can find something semi cheap
Old 10-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70
i have 2 sets of standard sears stands and 1 set of truck stands made by AC Delco. like Elthesh did, i got tired of what i called a "pee pee" jack (the kind where ya pull the handle and put on the valve below the jack part to let the car down) and got a real jack made by who else? AC Delco!! actually my GF got it for me at christmas 2 years ago.
i would pitch my stands the first sec i seen any sign of bending. being shipping cost is an issue where you are i guess ordering a set from the states is out ?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: LQ4
i have craftsman 3 tons, held my car up for like 10 monthes a couple years ago, and its at over a year now for this project without a peep, and thats with lots of weight being taken off, put back, beating and pounding pretty much everything on the car
Old 10-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Dont cheap out on jackstands because you sure dont want them to cheap out on you! The next time your under a car, think about how it feels to have all that weight fall on you. You know that sound that you hear when you step on some bug? lol.. sick
Old 10-06-2005, 02:16 PM

Well I'll be definitly getting new jackstands an I think the style like in the 2nd picture above. Now I have another qustion about what height you guys use to work on your car. My current jack gets the car up max. 13.78 inchesm and thats just bearly enough for me to get the wheels off the car. So I've been thinking of getting a "high" lift jack, that could lift up to 31.5 inches. That would be of course very convinient to work under but my conserne is how to jack up the car, I mean won't that start to woble around when I lift up one side so high? Or would I have to lift it up step whise? The jack I was looking at was from Torin, maybe someone has heard off them, can lift 2 to.

Any suggestions if that is a good idea or not?

Thanks alot!
Cedric
Old 10-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
knight if those jacks dont get ya up there nothing will. i usually get my car up about 2 ft off the ground but then again it dpends on what im doing.
if im yanking my 5 speed the whole car is about 2 ft high or better.
as for lifting the car, run the car up on ramps then jack up the rear. then move to the front as the ramps make it easier and you dont damage the air dam.