Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Questions about MacEwen Motorsports white face gauge overlays

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2000, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Z Cnvertible
Engine: 409 SR
Transmission: 6 speed
Questions about MacEwen Motorsports white face gauge overlays

Anyone who has these overlays, can you see the seem on the overlay at all when sitting in the drivers seat looking at the gauges? How well do these overlays match up with the exisiting numbers on the OEM faces, particulary with the 90-92 Camaros?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2000, 01:15 PM

Well i have them on my 89' IROC, and well there are no seems. It is just a one piece overlay that slides over the needle into place. And they line up exact on the speedo and tach. The other three guages; fuel, battery, and temp took a little longer to align but aligned really well. I am very happy with the gauges and would buy a second set it i needed and would recommend them to anyone.
Old 11-08-2000, 01:36 PM

Car: 89 Iroc Z Cnvertible
Engine: 409 SR
Transmission: 6 speed
Ok, Im lost, how does it slide over the needles without having a large hole in the center. Or are you removing the needles?..

Thanks
Old 11-08-2000, 02:06 PM
Banned

You have to put it on at an angle. Slide the needle up horizontally and then once you get to the center of the needle you just press right in. The only tricky one is the speedo because you don't have a lot of room to work with.

I just installed a pair, they are easy to install. Make sure you have EVERYTHING aligned before putting it back together. Don't be an idiot like me and put everything back together to find out it was not aligned.

------------------
'92 Formula
305 TPI
Mods: SLP headers,SLP catback,SLP air foil,ported plenum,Crane AFPR (50psi),MSD6AL,homemade cold air,K&Ns,3:73s,JET fan switch, Macewen white face gauges...ZZ9 cam is coming!
Old 11-08-2000, 07:40 PM
Jarod87IROC

They are excellent, I highly recommend them. Very easy to install also, took me about 15 minutes.

Yes, I know I need to paint my needles red. I'll get to it eventually.

------------------
87 IROC
350 TPI 5-speed
- Edelbrock Aluminum Heads, LPE 219 Cam, Super Ram, SS Wheels, Graphite Leather, etc. Click here to see the rest.

-=ICON Motorsports=-

[This message has been edited by Jarod87IROC (edited November 08, 2000).]
Old 11-08-2000, 09:30 PM

Yes very easy to install, although i had a real hard time getting my hand back to disconnect my speedometer cable from the speedo.
Old 11-08-2000, 10:10 PM
Mo

Anybody got a pic at night, if its possible to get a decent one?

------------------
90 IROC 5.7l (L98)
ram air, K&N's, air foil,Flows
Old 11-09-2000, 08:22 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
I was surprisingly able to get the speedo cable unhooked with no difficulty. I've got huge hands and pretty big arms, but I was able to contort myself with my head mashed against the gas pedal and was able to reach right up.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 11-09-2000, 08:54 AM
Jarod87IROC

Why would you need to disconnect the speedo cable? Did you replace the bulbs or something? There's an easy way to pop off that speedo cable, just remove a couple bolts and drop the steering column. Then you use a long flat head screwdriver to pop it off. Putting it back on with the screwdriver can be a little tricky but it still only took me about 5 minutes. Also let me verify, you don't need to do remove the guage cluster when installing the overlays, only when replacing the bulbs.

I tried to snap a pic at night but it wouldn't come out. I have red bulbs in my cluster and it looks amazing at night, much better visibility too.
Old 11-09-2000, 09:24 AM

check out the post in the body and interior board. they have about 25 comments on these overlays. I think i am going to buy them because i have heard no complaints. As far as them lining up right, it sounds like they are perfect.
http://members.aol.com/rmacewen1/page1.html

------------------
91 rs, convertible, K&N, Edelbrock open element cleaner, 3.73, B&M mega-shifter, goodmark cowl-induction hood
Old 11-09-2000, 10:37 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Lining up the speedo and tach are no-brainers because there are holes for the screws/needle stops that make it fool proof. The other gauges are a free-hand alignment and have the potential to be done incorrectly. My gauges were out of the car anyway when I got the overlays, but even if they were in the car I would have removed them to avoid the potential for royally screwing them up. I also painted the needles, which would have turned into a mess if I did it in the car. I never tried dropping the steering colum to get the gauges, but reaching up behind the dash took me absolutely NO time. Getting into position took longer. Reinstallation is even easier because the cable is so stiff. Chances are it'll just slip right back into place, but at the most all you have to do is hold the cable while you slide the cluster back into place.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 11-09-2000, 01:49 PM

Alright, Ive seen enough, I want them. Where can I order them?

91 Z28tpi
Old 11-09-2000, 03:51 PM

Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T56
www.macewen.net
ryan is very easy to deal with and great with his customers and very timely too. they install in minutes and look very sharp. just make sure they are aligned properly when you stick em on. good luck.

------------------
Rick
90 Camaro RS 305 TBI
400 small block, Hooker 1 3/4 super comp long tubes, Random Tech Cat, Hooker aero chamber cat back on the way!!
TH700-R4 with Trans-Go shift kit
MacEwen Motorsports White Gauge Overlays
K&N Filter Charger (wooohooo)
GTS Headlight and Taillight covers
5% Limo Tint all around
Classic White Chevy Bowtie sticker on rear window

Man if my camaro were a rice-rocket all those mods would give me what...easily 50-60 hp!!!