Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Anyone ACTUALLY have the arao heads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2001 Grand Prix GT
Engine: 231 NA
Transmission: 4t65e
Anyone ACTUALLY have the arao heads?

Anyone actually have the Arao heads on their car? The Grand Prix community is finally getting better heads. Arao is making us some 4 valve Aluminum heads for around $4500. There has been some doubt as to the effectivness of the 4 valve heads over the 2 valves. I can look at graphs all day long, but individual experiences is where its at. Do they actually perform as to what they advertise? The worst part on the Grand Prixs are the crappy 2 valve heads. Our best ported race head is outflowed by a stock inline 4 2.4L grand am head. Ive searched, but all i could find is that they look good and look promising. Any real world experience? thanks
Old 03-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 427 Likes on 329 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Re: Anyone ACTUALLY have the arao heads?

Originally posted by Elliott S.
Anyone actually have the Arao heads on their car? The Grand Prix community is finally getting better heads. Arao is making us some 4 valve Aluminum heads for around $4500. There has been some doubt as to the effectivness of the 4 valve heads over the 2 valves. I can look at graphs all day long, but individual experiences is where its at. Do they actually perform as to what they advertise? The worst part on the Grand Prixs are the crappy 2 valve heads. Our best ported race head is outflowed by a stock inline 4 2.4L grand am head. Ive searched, but all i could find is that they look good and look promising. Any real world experience? thanks
You may want to try another forum. I doubt you will have much luck asking the wrong crowd.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: Can you say stroke?!?!
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Sorry bro, completely different drive-train on these boards.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:08 PM

Car: 2001 Grand Prix GT
Engine: 231 NA
Transmission: 4t65e
i wasnt asking about the drivetrain, i was asking in general how much better (if at all) the increase in the number of valves have helped SBCs. We're just trying to figure out if it will be worth it or not. I wasnt asking you guys on how they would work on L67/L36 engines, just if they actually worked on SBC engines or not. Just gauging whether they help in real life, or just in charts
Old 03-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 427 Likes on 329 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Originally posted by Elliott S.
i wasnt asking about the drivetrain, i was asking in general how much better (if at all) the increase in the number of valves have helped SBCs. We're just trying to figure out if it will be worth it or not. I wasnt asking you guys on how they would work on L67/L36 engines, just if they actually worked on SBC engines or not. Just gauging whether they help in real life, or just in charts
The benifits of a DOHC cam motor are too numerous to mention in one post. There are certain aspects of it that are unmatched when compaied to a 2 valve IC engine. However there are trade off for both. You cannot simply convert a SBC to run 4 valves. it is an entirely different mechanical system. I would check out a few IC engines books to see the comparison between the two. Don't be fooled by power output alone as your determining factor. Many 2 valve systems can produce the same power as DOHC set-ups. The differences lie in efficiecny and changes in your typical IC engine power curves.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Originally posted by ShiftyCapone
The benifits of a DOHC cam motor are too numerous to mention in one post. There are certain aspects of it that are unmatched when compaied to a 2 valve IC engine. However there are trade off for both. You cannot simply convert a SBC to run 4 valves. it is an entirely different mechanical system. I would check out a few IC engines books to see the comparison between the two. Don't be fooled by power output alone as your determining factor. Many 2 valve systems can produce the same power as DOHC set-ups. The differences lie in efficiecny and changes in your typical IC engine power curves.
The arao heads aren't DOHC, they're still pushrod and no you can't make as much horsepower with 2 valves compared to 4, it's just more air flow and a better chamber design (fast burn to the max).
I haven't seen arao heads in person but I have held and inspected their first design heads when they went under the name D__something something. I want to say Delphi but that doesn't sound right. Anyways, yes 4 valves per cylinder is superior in every way shape and form compared to 2 valve heads. Why do you think EVERY high specific output motor HAS 4 valves per cylinder... it's because they flow air, lots of it.
Horsepower is how much air you can fit into the combustion chamber. Ideally you'd want no popet valve and a port with the same cross-sectional area as your bore, but that's impossible , so the alternative is adding valves/ports since the flow potential of more area is just that, more potential... which CAN (usually does) lead to more air. Add the fuel and you make more horsepower, nothing new.
DOHC, pushrod, they all do the same exact thing only in different ways. The DOHC design is more reliable at high engine speeds is the only benifit, at low engine speeds it actually costs you more power than a well designed pushrod setup, it's ALL about efficiencies. DOHC doesn't have the momentum of the rocker arm, pushrod, and lifter so it can use lighter weight springs and rev to the moon where as a pushrod has less rotating weight (usually) which takes less horsepower (since spining up a heavy object takes power).
All in all I'm a firm believer in heads, it's where the horsepower potential is made and yes, bigger IS better when you want horsepower.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JPrevost
they went under the name D__something something. I want to say Delphi but that doesn't sound right.
Dominion

Elliot S. - If you're looking into the Arao heads, have a look at Coates' heads. I don't know if they have a website.