Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

PRO FAB (Best customer service I've seen)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
PRO FAB (Best customer service I've seen)

There is an old saying, "Every company has problems to deal with from time to time, It is how those problems are addressed that counts".

I purchased a Pro Fab K-Member & A arms a couple of months back. They made mine with special reinforcements at critical locations because of the kind of racing I do. These pieces are top notch! Some of the finest welds and workmanship I've ever seen.
The K Member & A Arms work perfectly.

They also sell Power, & Manual rack & pinion conversions, and Coil over conversions for the third gen F Body.
They are manufactured by others and are built to work with ProFab equipment.
I have had problems with the Coil overs...

I would tell anyone who asks me that for drag racing, Coilovers are a good way to go for weight savings. (Trailer queen only)

I tried to use the setup for heavy duty street , Autocross, And road race application and have had very bad results.
Just not the best application for the product. It just wasn't designed well for my kind of use.

The point of this point is just to tell you how nice it has been to work with Vern (Pro Fab owner). He has gone out of his way to make things right. We have had several conversations over the phone that were very helpful in making sure I had installed things correctly. This particular system just didn't work for me

He has Incorporated my suggestions into future Coil Over design. He has even gone so far as to send me a new K-Member and A-Arm setup so I can go back to the stock style coil springs. Not even a charge for the shipping.
These guys take good care of the customer!!

Thought you would like to know...
Old 07-07-2004, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a link to their website or an email address for Vern?
Old 07-07-2004, 05:06 PM

Car: 1985 Chevy Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350ci from 79camaro
Transmission: 5 speed manual on lsd
Hey Dr G,

www.profabracing.com

Si. :lala:
Old 11-22-2004, 07:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
EXCELENT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

heh

short story:

few months back, i ordered a Kmember, they were great about it... i asked if the stock A arms would work.. vern said they should...
last weekend i put the kmember in, and they dont fit... i called profab up just now (i actually used this thread to get the website for their #)

he didnt even hesitate, he offered me either a modified k member to work, or the a arms at a deep discount, my choice...

hes a great guy, makes good parts, and id reccomend him to anyone.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 375 Likes on 303 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
those a arms for stock spring type applications look kinda weak. maybe its just the pic.

How are the A arms? you like them? i am thinking about them for wieght savings and the look. is the tubular K member good for street use and some hard auto-x type racing?
Old 12-09-2004, 05:31 PM

Car: 89 Camaro IROC
Then there is post like this that make you wonder...

Not trying to start a fight, but its weird I just came by this last night when I was trying to find some info on some other places.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214033
Old 12-29-2004, 04:59 PM

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 SPEED
Just saw this today and thought I would give my 2cents. (I work for PROFAB I am a fabricator there.) Thanks for the good report, and yes we have had a few mistakes it happens when you get new people in that dont work out. But we got that all lined out now, so check us out and I hope we can keep helping every one out! Im going to try to get Vern to support this site. Thanks Willie

Last edited by speedyrx7; 12-29-2004 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:06 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, LT1
Transmission: TKX, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23
Only problem I have is:

"Pro Fabrication Disclaimer: Use of this Product is acceptance of seller's disclaimer of warranty. The purchaser is responsible for inspections before installing products. Neither the seller nor Pro Fabrication will be responsible for any loss or damage or injury from any cause including defects of Pro Fabrication products. Pro Fabrication products are NOT D.O.T. approved or intended for street use. Buyer agrees to indemnify and hold Sellers harmless from any claim,action or demand arising out of incident to the buyers installation or use of products purchased from Pro Fabrication. Pro Fabrication will not accept returns or exchanges after 30 days from invoice. All returns subject to 20% restocking fee"

I wonder if anyone has actually broken any of the stuff on the street.

I have the k-member, a-arms.

-- Joe
Old 01-07-2005, 09:22 PM

Car: 89 Camaro IROC
Originally posted by anesthes
Only problem I have is:

"Pro Fabrication Disclaimer: Use of this Product is acceptance of seller's disclaimer of warranty. The purchaser is responsible for inspections before installing products. Neither the seller nor Pro Fabrication will be responsible for any loss or damage or injury from any cause including defects of Pro Fabrication products. Pro Fabrication products are NOT D.O.T. approved or intended for street use. Buyer agrees to indemnify and hold Sellers harmless from any claim,action or demand arising out of incident to the buyers installation or use of products purchased from Pro Fabrication. Pro Fabrication will not accept returns or exchanges after 30 days from invoice. All returns subject to 20% restocking fee"

I wonder if anyone has actually broken any of the stuff on the street.

I have the k-member, a-arms.

-- Joe
They are just protected there butts, whether they ever think it is going to break or not. Most companies supply a similar disclamier minus the defect part
Old 01-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
i think everything i've installed in my camaro has said "off road use only" just so they don't get sued.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: American Iron Firebird
Engine: The little 305 that could.
Transmission: Richmond T-10
Axle/Gears: Floater 9" - 3.64 gears
Originally posted by speedyrx7
Just saw this today and thought I would give my 2cents. (I work for PROFAB I am a fabricator there.) Thanks for the good report, and yes we have had a few mistakes it happens when you get new people in that dont work out. But we got that all lined out now, so check us out and I hope we can keep helping every one out! Im going to try to get Vern to support this site. Thanks Willie
Willie,

Make sure Vern starts working on his ebay work harder if he's still doing it. I had two slow/bad transactions that Vern resolved for me, but each one took a while and one of them resulted in me losing out on a killer deal because someone at Pro Fab mixed up two transactions. The other one just took two months to get me poly/poly rear LCAs.

-TJ
Old 01-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: F1R Procharged 383
Transmission: Tremec 600
Axle/Gears: moser 12 bolt, 4.11's 33 spline axl
2 people out this way had serious problems with pro fab.......one k member was not for the right rack, and they said ok we'll send you a new one......it was wrong AGAIN.....ended up just cutting off the mounts and welding on the right ones.

another one had serious fitment issues, and got run around for about a month trying to get it replaced by pro fab, the thing didnt fit right, the steering gear rubbed etc.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:38 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by 383backinblack
2 people out this way had serious problems with pro fab.......one k member was not for the right rack, and they said ok we'll send you a new one......it was wrong AGAIN.....ended up just cutting off the mounts and welding on the right ones.

another one had serious fitment issues, and got run around for about a month trying to get it replaced by pro fab, the thing didnt fit right, the steering gear rubbed etc.
Off topic question, But are you still using that Centerforce DF2, Kevin?

My ram rattled my brains out, so I bought a centerforce.

Profab setup is in the car. Gonna swap the used rack for a brand new one tonight and finish up the steering. Using a 4th gen upper shaft + ujoint, flaming river 3/4"DD intermidiate, and flaming river 3/4" DD x 3/4" 36spline ujoint.

-- Joe
Attached Thumbnails PRO FAB (Best customer service I've seen)-k-floor.jpg  
Old 01-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Off topic question, But are you still using that Centerforce DF2, Kevin?

My ram rattled my brains out, so I bought a centerforce.

Profab setup is in the car. Gonna swap the used rack for a brand new one tonight and finish up the steering. Using a 4th gen upper shaft + ujoint, flaming river 3/4"DD intermidiate, and flaming river 3/4" DD x 3/4" 36spline ujoint.

-- Joe
nope, but its not because i didnt like it......it lasted 3 years and about 150 passes on slicks, 1.6 short times.

i have a SPEC stage 3 now, i just wanted to try something different, and this clutch is nasty......very smooth, very very strong.

and speaking of customer service, these guys rock.....if you search you'll find some threads i posted about how they helped me out
Old 01-13-2005, 09:44 PM

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 SPEED
Sorry to hear that guys, that sucks with the not fitting and the run-around. I can't do anything with the shipping, that's out of my hands. What wasn't fitting right btw? If there is a problem I need to check it out. A picture of the problem would be awesome if you have one.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:51 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Only thing I could see potentially causing a problem, iis the bottom of the rack or k-member scraping the ground when you hit bumps.

-- Joe
Old 01-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by speedyrx7
Sorry to hear that guys, that sucks with the not fitting and the run-around. I can't do anything with the shipping, that's out of my hands. What wasn't fitting right btw? If there is a problem I need to check it out. A picture of the problem would be awesome if you have one.
the a-arm tabs were a little askew........the flanges didnt line up perfectly, and the whole steering gear rubbing on the rack thing was pretty terrible.

that and the fact that the k didnt even have the right mounting tabs on it, and they ended up welding the correct ones on while it was in the car
Old 01-14-2005, 05:38 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by 383backinblack
the a-arm tabs were a little askew........the flanges didnt line up perfectly, and the whole steering gear rubbing on the rack thing was pretty terrible.

that and the fact that the k didnt even have the right mounting tabs on it, and they ended up welding the correct ones on while it was in the car
What rack did they use? I have the mustang one in mine.

My only concern right now is ground clearance. ANy problems with potholes/speed bumps?

-- Joe
Old 01-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

What rack did they use? I have the mustang one in mine.

My only concern right now is ground clearance. ANy problems with potholes/speed bumps?

-- Joe
it was a mustang rack i believe
Old 01-14-2005, 11:01 AM

Car: transam, el camino
Engine: 415
Transmission: T56
The profab kmember will stick down farther and you might scrape on speedbumps/potholes IF your springs are already cut or lowered. The lower K member will help protect longtube headers or deep sump oil pans.

I ran into several problems with my k member/a arms. The car sits lower because I didn't want to use the stock rubber spring isolators and I already cut my springs to lower the car. The alignment was off after installing the aarms and kmember. I fixed the alignment myself and ordered a set of prokit springs which will more than likely solve the ground clearance problem- if not I guess I will reinforce the kmember with another tube, i'd rather be scraping up a couple of steel tubes on a kmember than a 400 dollar set of headers.

My nylon a arm bushings didn't work very well either, there's a lot of slop and the aarms pivot on the steel bushings rather than the nylon that was supplied. I don't know if I got the wrong ones sent to me or if the steel sleeves were the wrong size. I'll have to find some better bushings for the a arms or keep pulling the bolts out and greasing them.

All the problems were pretty minor. The weight savings was 40lbs. and when I drop a wrench in the engine bay it actually hits the floor now! There's so much more room to work with, I can change my starter without pulling the exhaust off. In my mind, the pieces paid for themselves when I changed the starter.