Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Homemade Octane Booster

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homemade Octane Booster

I found this info today. Wanted to get some opinions. I priced out Toluene here in Canada. $42.10 /5 Imp Gallon. (4.54 liters) I will be experimenting with a few formulas, and post the results. I figured this was the best place for this post, if not then suggest where... I think that there is really something in the info, especially for the super/turbo engines.
First link is the info.

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/gasoline-octane.html

Second is someones analysis, and some experiences.

http://home.kscable.com/ssutton/miat...e/toluene.html

There are lots of links pertaining to this info. Give me some feed back...

[This message has been edited by arthur (edited December 06, 2001).]
Old 12-06-2001, 06:02 PM

Car: '96 M3
Engine: 3.2L V-6
Transmission: 5-sp
I've read that article before. It seems like good info, I just can't seem to find any 100% toulene anywhere.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:36 PM

Just to clarify, it is spelled 'Toluene'
Pronounced 'Toll-you-een'
You can locate it at most paint stores. Though it'll be a little more expensive. I am trying to source it here in Canada in 45impGal Drums. It is not really any more dangerous than Gasoline is. In fact, there is already Toluene in gas, cigarettes, paints, model glue, nail polish remover etc. You get the picture. If you go to the second lonk, you'll see that it was used as a race fuel for the formula 1 cars in the '80s.
Old 12-07-2001, 01:29 AM

Hi !

An interesting idea. Glad to see that someone else has also found it out. I used to use lotsa toluene when I drove my Saab 900 Turbo many years ago. The reason was the higher octane -> higher boost, and the fact that here in Europe the toluene is cheaper than gas.

Anyway, toluene will kill all rubber hoses, and especially when under pressure. You'll probably lose the fuel pump line, as it is connected with rubber hoses from both ends. Use nylon tube instead (that blue tube used in pressurized air equipment)

Also cold starting (below 0 Celsius) will be a real problem if there's more than 50% toluene added to the gas. Use block heater in cold mornings or just a little bit of toluene.

The mixture mentioned above will also produce much carbon residue that will stick the combustion chambers and valves. You can also avoid that by just using a small amount of toluene (<30%)

Good luck !

Kimmo Ahola
Old 12-07-2001, 02:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird S/E
Engine: 406Ci Vortec SBC
Transmission: TH-350/3500stall
Axle/Gears: 7.5" Auburn 4.10 Posi-Traction
Arthur: Why not just mix 114 octane unleaded
race gas in with the best available pump gas.
We get 114 octane (PRO-FUELS) for around $13/gal CAN. A 30% mix is far more efective in boosting octane than tolene, and will not harm your fuel system or motor. The economics is a lot better too.
http://www.speedwaybikes.com/sponsors/fuel.htm
Sunoco unleaded race gas would work well too.
http://www.racegas.com
Old 12-07-2001, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the info. I probably wouldn't mix more than about 20% anyway. I would be starting with 94, so that would yield a 98 oct mix. That's the RON+MON/2 rating as well. It would only cost a little more than filling up the entire tank with the good stuff. I was investigating higher octane potentials because I was planning my engine project, and was going for a high compression. 11:1. Even after all the tricks to keep the system from detonating, it still might det at certain conditions as the amount of air/fuel flowing will produce lots of compression pressure. I am a true believer of high compression. At throttled conditions, there is as much as 25% more HP/#increase in compression, as opposed to the standard 4% at WOT. At 500 HP WOT 4%= 20HP. I will look intothe Race Gas option as well. Is there a Nation wide distributor?
Old 12-07-2001, 08:26 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: GMPP 350 HO w/TBI
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt w/3.73s
doesnt that stuff cause cancer? might want to be careful handing it..

-brian
Old 12-07-2001, 09:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 Crate Motor
Transmission: Tremec TKO
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73
It's not any nastier than gasoline.Sure it'll probably cause cancer.....if you bathe in it!
Interesting idea, though,I'll try some this spring.(putting it in my tank...not bathing in it).
-Rich-
Old 12-07-2001, 10:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird S/E
Engine: 406Ci Vortec SBC
Transmission: TH-350/3500stall
Axle/Gears: 7.5" Auburn 4.10 Posi-Traction
Arthur: Pro Fuels is made and distributed
by Ontario Competition Fuels, in Mississauga
Ontario. See the link I posted before.
As word gets around about its unleaded
formula and consistant power, their market has expanded into New York state. (Pro Fuels USA). You could phone them to see if they distribute in B.C. Mitch, is the guy to talk to there. There are other companies on the west coast that also make unleaded race gas,
like Pro Fuels. For an 11.0:1 motor, you probabily wouldn't need much more than 20/25% mix.
Old 12-07-2001, 07:14 PM

F-BIRD'88

You've given me the best lead yet. Thank-you. I called Mitch today, and got some info on availability. Unfortunately, no distributors in Western Canada. However, I am very impressed with the numbers of the fuels. I think I would use PRO racing fuel before anyone else's, just from the numbers. 110 octane for $1.55/L CAN. Unbelievable. All you folks south of the 49, take note. Is it cheaper in the U.S. of A? Just happens to be the only Canadian Race fuel that I know of. Mitch gave me some info on Toluene. He says that it has a lower octane rating when Blended. From 114, drops to about 104-106, depending on the fuel being blended. Toluene is supposed to burn dirty as well, but I imagine it all depends on the engine. I wa interested in the MARK 2 PRO fuel, as it seems more suited to my application, and the next level up is only 112 octane. With a 20% blend with 94 octane, the result is 97.2 oct. I think that should be good for about 11.5:1 comp. Just think of the sound of an engine with that much compression... Thanx again.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:56 AM

uh just go to sherwin williams they have it. a freind runs it in his mustang all the time. it is pretty cheap like 10 bucks a gallon. his mustang has about 20 psi of boost going into it. with the toluline there is no detonation. I assume any paint store would have it.

------------------
90 IROC l98
last season best corected 13.62 @102
mods
full exhaust, AFPR, pulley, jet stage 1 chip, billet servo, 52mm throttle body, slp runners and some 1.6 RR's and a few other little things.
243 RWHP and 342 RWTQ with hot engine and 90 octain fuel