Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Cone air filters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Cone air filters?

Hi all,

I'm curious about these open-element, cone-based air filters. Are these available for use in our cars? If so, does anyone know of ways we can attach these to our cars? I've read that the increased breathing ability is a real nice add-on that can be had for not a lot of money, and I'm tempted to get one for my car (see sig) if one exists for a good price that is also high-quality. I'll be willing to buy a pre-built kit if the workmanship is good, and it's easy for me to install; I'm eyeing the CAI kit that TGR is offering, but I'm not sure what would happen to my MAF, since I don't see it in the sample picture they provide.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Jason
Old 08-03-2003, 12:05 PM

yipe, you can do anything or just about
Attached Thumbnails Cone air filters?-picture-027.jpg  
Old 08-03-2003, 01:07 PM

Nice!

Have you noticed a difference with the cone filter? If so, how much?

Jason
Old 08-03-2003, 02:07 PM

I do get a much more throatier sound at around 3k rpm, and it does seem to have more power hard to tell since its a little 'ole 6cyl.

Thats a K&N cone with some chrome tube I bought from a **** burner store. Far cheaper then cold air kit i saw for 300 bucks
Old 08-03-2003, 03:38 PM
Supreme Member

yep i'm using one as well. however you can't see it. be sure to locate it as far away from the radiator and engine in general as it will get mostly hot air and rob you engine alot of power. you will see alot of people will put the filters like above straight on the throttle body and it only hurts the car because of all the hot air.

good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Cone air filters?-jeffs-engine-superfest-03.jpg  
Old 08-03-2003, 03:59 PM

oh yeah and the most important tip, make sure its NOT ANYWHERE WATER CAN GET TOO

my brother had a **** burner come into shop, it needed new engine. The owner drove thru big puddle and sucked in water hydralocked the engine. It blew engine
Old 08-03-2003, 04:03 PM
Supreme Member

it would take an extreme puddle to be able to suck up that much water but anythings possible so if it's a daily driver the best advice is to leave the intake alone. mine is pretty low to the ground and could easily be a problem if you weren't paying attention.

i've driven through plenty of rain and puddles with no problems. i've completely submerged the filter through emergencies and haven't had any problems but you never know. things can happen.

biggest point is that if your going to bother to do something like above the whole reason is to cool the air so make sure you do so accordingly.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:54 PM

Car: 2001 Silverado (I miss my 3rd gens)
Engine: 4.8
Transmission: 4L60E
I have a ram air hood on my firebird and wouldn't that cone filter (if it had tpi) be a lot better? I would like to think that gutting my airbox on the ole IROC would give better performance gains that the cone filter.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:00 PM

Ive heard the the cone filters doe a good job . But yes just as everyone said make sure to get the filter where its going to get cold air. I cant tell you how many people ive seen with cone filters thrown directly onto the throttle body and probably all of them dont even realize that theyre doing nothing except robbing the engine of good cold air and hp.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Supreme Member

see that hood is somewhat effective with the properly designed air box on 4thgens but it's been proven that even on the 4thgens the hood doesn't add much power in that respect because of the design as it's mainly for looks. if you want the power you have to go to where the cold air is. not knowing the structure of the hood you would definately need to figure that out.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by 89irocbeast
Ive heard the the cone filters doe a good job . But yes just as everyone said make sure to get the filter where its going to get cold air. I cant tell you how many people ive seen with cone filters thrown directly onto the throttle body and probably all of them dont even realize that theyre doing nothing except robbing the engine of good cold air and hp.
I was thinking of putting the cone air filter in the area where my stock air box is right now (that is, right in front of the coolant overfill container in the lower left-hand corner of the engine bay. The airbox sits pretty high up, so I'm not terribly worried that water will get up that high. If it does, I'm screwed anyway.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2006 Tacoma X-Runner
Engine: 4.0L DOHC V6
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3:15 LSD
You mean like how I setup mine?

Total setup cost $42 and still uses a MAF sensor BIG improvement over the stock intake.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:51 PM
Supreme Member

locate it lower through the battery tray and watch how much more you notice.

unless you remove your headlights your not getting alot of flow there and your better off with most stock units. in most cases with the tpi v8's the intake is the restricted part....changing to a "cai" that isn't in a free flowing section can not only deliver hotter air but sometimes restrict air which only hurts.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by The Dirty Bird!
I was thinking of putting the cone air filter in the area where my stock air box is right now (that is, right in front of the coolant overfill container in the lower left-hand corner of the engine bay. The airbox sits pretty high up, so I'm not terribly worried that water will get up that high. If it does, I'm screwed anyway.
If its like the picture shown than yea thats fine, but i would locate it a little lowing than than like in the wheel well. You get a lot of cold air in there. The setup your talking about is almost similar to stock and its still not getting a lot of air in there unless as said before you remove the high beam headlight or somehting
Old 08-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2006 Tacoma X-Runner
Engine: 4.0L DOHC V6
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3:15 LSD
We have Firebirds, removing the high-beam headlight is not an option The fender well will be the best location but if you are in CA like me its kind of hard to do with the charcoal canister that has to be there in the way Still maybe with the help of an exhaust shop bending up some tubing and using a smaller cone you could probably fit the cone into the wheel well.