Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

CIPA (Donnelly) Interior Mirror--Auto Dimming, Temp, Compass

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 07:53 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
**** (Donnelly) Interior Mirror--Auto Dimming, Temp, Compass

I recently purchased the **** mirror from Summit Racing. Don't buy the product from the website where the mirror is considerably more expensive. I paid $199 from Summit vs. $244 from the website.

The package is quite complete as you can see by going to the website and checking their instruction page (http://www.rpminnovations.com/rearview_mirrors.htm). Installation is straightforward as is wiring--strip the protector from their spade and simply plug the spade into one of the ignition slots in the fuse box. The ground is right there as well.

One hitch: The mirror wouldn't fit the OEM mirror button of my 85 IROC, and even with an adapter, the mirror vibrated to the point of distraction. As a consequence, I chatted with the owner of a local auto glass repair shop who claimed heat was the answer. He had a broken windshield at hand (it was outside in the sunshine so it was already warm). He put a torch to the button itself for approximately 5 seconds and the button lifted off easily with pliers--no twisiting, yanking, or cursing. At home, I parked the car in the sunshine to heat the windshield, then used a propane bottle. I hit the button for 5 seconds without result, so I hit it again, this time making sure that I worked the entire surface of the button. Once again pliers and lift off.

By the way, the owner warned against heating the button from the outside of the windshield, then showed me the results. Not pretty.

Nice product. Recommended.

JamesC