Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

4" harwood outlaw bolt on cowl hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 305 LO3(TBI)
Transmission: TH-700R4
4" harwood outlaw bolt on cowl hood

i am thinking of buying a harwood 4" outlaw bolt on cowl hood and was wondering if anyone has any comments about these hoods
Old 07-21-2003, 08:50 PM

DONT GET IT! i have a few friends who bought the same hood for their third gens and if looked at by a proffessional auto body person (or someone with a real good eye) the hoods are made poorly. the cowl is not perfectly "straight" or the same measurements on each side. the hood will line up along the fenders and bumper straight but the cowl is slightly off and if you are picky about things like the appearance of ur car then this is not the hood for you.

Unlimited Products has been in the industry of fiberglass auto body parts for a long time and they are very very good. they make hoods for all years camaro. i myself bought a 4 3/4" cowl hood for my 87 IROC and it looks bad ***. they make complete bolt on and front latch or pin ons. i would deff recommend you go here to check em out

http://www.up22.com/
Old 07-27-2003, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by camaro 670087
DONT GET IT! i have a few friends who bought the same hood for their third gens and if looked at by a proffessional auto body person (or someone with a real good eye) the hoods are made poorly. the cowl is not perfectly "straight" or the same measurements on each side. the hood will line up along the fenders and bumper straight but the cowl is slightly off and if you are picky about things like the appearance of ur car then this is not the hood for you.

Unlimited Products has been in the industry of fiberglass auto body parts for a long time and they are very very good. they make hoods for all years camaro. i myself bought a 4 3/4" cowl hood for my 87 IROC and it looks bad ***. they make complete bolt on and front latch or pin ons. i would deff recommend you go here to check em out

I have the 4" lift off hood and I can assure you, that the cowl is evenly spaced and aligned perfectly. The bolt on could be off...although I highly doubt it...but the lift off is actually a very nice hood! It looks great on the car too! I am not sure what the difference between the "Outlaw" and Normal hood is...do you have any pics of the "Outlaw"?
Old 07-27-2003, 11:09 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 B4C 1LE
Engine: Proaction 412, Accel singleplane
Transmission: built 700R4 w/custom converter
Axle/Gears: stock w/later 4th gen torsen pos
Originally posted by camaro 670087

horse crap!

we bought UP hoods and Harwood hoods all cowl style for the different project cars we built for cars (mostly mustangs and some camaros) and the UP stuff is "sux" and the Harwood stuff is damn near ready to paint out of the box.

Just last night I was at my friends body shop and he has two novas and two chevelles in his shop the one nova has everything UP sells (including the hood) that will go on his car except the body. His bill for finishing is huge. The two cars that have just the Harwood cowl hoods only have 1/2 hour prep each for just the hoods and the car with just the UP hood (no other panels) has like 5 hours fit and finish for just the hood.

so please please please I beg you, don't try to feed people some crap on Harwood when UP cant even sniff the jelcoat Harwood uses.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:32 PM

Car: 86' camaro s/c
Engine: 357
Transmission: th350
I also agree that harwood is got its act together. I bought the outlaw pin on style and other than alittle trimming and drilling the holes for my hood pins everything lined up perfect and straight. Not only that but the black gelcoat matched perfectly w/ my paint so no need to repaint the hood to match. Honestly almost just a bolt on install. Go w/ harwood you won't be dissappointed! just my 2 cents.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:54 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro
Engine: 350
Transmission: auto
not to put down a competor but unlimited products has a good name at least, they so of let you know there is a unlimited about of body work to be done, after you save the big bucks on their cheap prices. sorry about this , it is sad but true. see ya rex
Old 07-29-2003, 08:21 PM
TGO Supporter

sure I could agree with that, if you mean what I think you do. Some guys would rather save the money on unlimited stuff and do the mass of bodywork required on thier own.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:46 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro
Engine: 350
Transmission: auto
Hello B4 i was trying to say that in as nice a way as possibe i have seen their products and i told my office that i would hate to be the one who answers the complaint questions. see ya rex
Old 07-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc Z L98
I have two friends who bought up22 hoods, both hoods are ****. My friend with a nova that runs 10's had the hood break in half on his way down the track and fly over the car...
Old 07-30-2003, 12:02 PM
TGO Supporter

sounds similar to what I have seen